• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Simple question

new-routemaster-front-stairs.957x0-is-pid2315.jpg

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I'm pragmatic. Just sit at the first empty seat I see that isn't directly next to someone. If there are none then it's up.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Upper! At the front! I can pretend I'm the captain of the bus (also has more leg room)

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If I wanted to sit on the lower deck of a double-decker bus, I might as well just ride A Bus.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Saddest thing ever is when they put bendy buses on a route, like oh you people knew there was enough business to fill a double decker but you chose the evil path

Or there's low clearance somewhere, whatever, still a lack of fortitude

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Too much wobble and movement top deck. Maybe if I'm being a tourist and want to look about I'll do it but for just commuting? Nah, I ain't going up there.

Plus, fuck stairs.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
The top-front of the bus near the periscope thing so I can see the driver. Or are they a thing of the past?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Lower Deck, I'm not going up stairs on a bus and then down again to leave 15 minutes later.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
My dad used to be a conductor on London double deckers.

Smoking was upstairs, so cool people would be upstairs.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
I voted upstairs since I'm a hypocrite. The articulated buses should've stayed since they actually comply with modern standards, but people in the UK lost their shit at the idea of double deckers getting discontinued

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a tourist when I am in a double decker so I always go upstairs. It's so exotic.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
upper deck then marvel at how they can navigate these large things through the streets.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know why double decker buses never really took off in the US?

They serve a particular type of route. One that had a mix of people taking short trips and people going all the way to the end of the route. So most likely it's just the generally poor public transit infastructure.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I usually pay for the seats with more legroom, which are always on the upper deck.

Otherwise, I'd choose lower deck for more shade.
does one have to get a different ticket to sit in certain places in a bus? I'd just assume it's all uniform, you get a ticket and sit on whichever free seat you want. This legroom stuff is more of an airplane thing, I'd assume

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
does one have to get a different ticket to sit in certain places in a bus? I'd just assume it's all uniform, you get a ticket and sit on whichever free seat you want. This legroom stuff is more of an airplane thing, I'd assume

Not in the uk at least lol, you sit wherever's free, though some seats near the driver you're supposed to give up to people who may have trouble with mobility.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

Inter city buses have that. Such as Megabus which does have double deckers in its fleet.

Nov 3, 2017
If it's night time and the weekend, I prefer downstairs. Any other time it's whatever isn't blocking or otherwise creating issues wrt people's mobility or prams.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland

The only time I typically use the bus is when I'm traveling to New York. I could drive there, but parking would be a bitch, and the train is much more expensive unless you plan the trip over half a year in advance. Typically Megabus is who I travel with and I can pay anywhere from 5-10 dollars more for the seats with extra legroom. It also ensures my friends and I can sit together.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Inter city buses have that. Such as Megabus which does have double deckers in its fleet.
The only time I typically use the bus is when I'm traveling to New York. I could drive there, but parking would be a bitch, and the train is much more expensive unless you plan the trip over half a year in advance. Typically Megabus is who I travel with and I can pay anywhere from 5-10 dollars more for the seats with extra legroom. It also ensures my friends and I can sit together.
So a thing with certain long distance shuttles in the US, from what I understand. I guess that makes sense. I always think of buses in the context of public transport, but it makes sense that private companies would charge for more comfortable seats and such

Oct 27, 2017
It always made sense to me to sit upstairs so there's more room on the lower deck for anyone who would struggle with stairs or has a pram or heavy bags or whatever.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
So a thing with certain long distance shuttles in the US, from what I understand. I guess that makes sense. I always think of buses in the context of public transport, but it makes sense that private companies would charge for more comfortable seats and such

Yeah, in the US, if you're in a major city, the bus system is typically woefully inadequate. You're better off driving, if you're able to.

I work in an eye clinic in the retina suite. Many of my patients take the bus because they can't see well enough to drive. Some of them arrive more than 2 hours before their appointment and just sit in the waiting room because it was the only way to ensure they didn't miss their appointment.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Before being made redundant I pretty much got the bus home from work daily; lower at the back and hope I get the area with the most leg room to myself (Only about 15 people got on at work although it did also travel through the city). Used to sit chilling for the hour ride after work catching up on the Internet with the most leg room.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Oi, me and me mates are proper chuffed when we're sitting on the top of the walk

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I nearly always go lower deck but had to change to upper deck getting home just now as some narcissistic prick got on and started belting out his crap music at full volume on the back of the bus.

Couldn't be dealing with him so I just got up and went upstairs.