• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Struggling with NPCs on Normal mode especially the Rival. Always feels like they pull something to get ahead of me and have a big lead midway on the final lap.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
ringracerskutaragi.png

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, there's a patch out which reduces how much of the tutorial is mandatory, makes online, add ons, and time trials get unlocked ASAP (just complete a single race), and reduces the rubber banding.

Kart Krew Dev

Download links Windows macOS Flatpak for Linux and Steam Deck (coming soon!) GitHub Release Page This is a minor patch to clean up some of the...

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Heads up, there's a patch out which reduces how much of the tutorial is mandatory, makes online, add ons, and time trials get unlocked ASAP (just complete a single race), and reduces the rubber banding.

Kart Krew Dev

Download links Windows macOS Flatpak for Linux and Steam Deck (coming soon!) GitHub Release Page This is a minor patch to clean up some of the...
awesome they got it out so quick - is there a way to update an existing installation or do you just re-download/reinstall?

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020

Kart Krew Dev

Awesome! glad to see they're already listening to feedback.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

Kart Krew Dev

That's great! Should make onboarding for newer folks much easier now.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018

Kart Krew Dev

Worth pinning or updating OP for people scared away?

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
Great to hear that Kart Krew is taking on feedback.

I didn't mind the tutorial or unlocking things, but the thing I've noticed now is the game is kicking my ass a few cups in.

I was going to go back in after reading a couple of pointers after watching a video of someone playing the tutorial skip (basically always be ring boosting and launch any weapons ASAP to get back to ring boosting), and figure out what character is actually right instead of picking Motobug (because hell yea Motobug), but if the AI was tuned to be overly aggressive that might help matters as well!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
(basically always be ring boosting and launch any weapons ASAP to get back to ring boosting)
This is one part of Ring Racers' design I don't quite get. Basically, "what's the fun of items if they're always a nuisance you want to get rid of ASAP?"

The entire ring mechanic seems over-tuned. You always want to be using rings, and you also never want to be out of rings. And yeah, I get that that's the main risk/reward aspect of it, but it seems way too central to the game's design.

I guess I just expected rings to be more like coins in Mario Kart—relevant but not essential—which is probably a bad expectation to have for a game called Ring Racers.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Yeah, idk about this update supposedly "reducing rubber banding" it honestly somehow feels significantly worse now to me.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, idk about this update supposedly "reducing rubber banding" it honestly somehow feels significantly worse now to me.
Hard mode is actually playable now. On normal mode you can create bigger gaps with your rival and break away even after they catch up to you with invincibility/jackpot/jet.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing they put out an update with some fixes gives me some hope, toning down the obnoxious AI and making unlocks easier goes a long way. I'll give it another shot later and see how it is. I still think the core gameplay has some serious issues that need to be addressed but at least they're willing to make changes.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Linux/Steam Deck flatpak version is out now too.

Difficulty seems mostly better (Normal/Hard doesn't feel impossible anymore) but still a bit uneven. I was playing Easy earlier and the rival rubberbanded like crazy to right next to me when I had a significant lead, and of course only at the last lap at the last turn lol. I don't mind this if I was playing a harder difficulty, but why is it still so aggressive when I'm trying to learn the tracks on Easy :(

Edit: lol, searched the Discord and apparently the game scales the AI level the better you're doing, even on Easy

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OK. I tried out version 2.1 and this is definitely way better than how it launched. However, I do still have some criticisms:

1. The AI is noticeably better, but unfortunately the main source of frustration has been seemingly untouched - the Rival. I can only assume this was a mechanic the devs put in because they were too good at their own game and wanted something that would provide a challenge in every race, but from a player standpoint it feels so damn bad to have an opponent in every race that is constantly either way ahead of you or right on your ass, always holding the perfect item to hit you with thanks to their perfect aim. It's not fun or fulfilling to beat this thing, it just makes every race unnecessarily stressful.

2. Rings admittedly feel a bit weird at first but once you understand the flow of when to use them, they're a pretty enjoyable mechanic and are fun to use any time. However, I hate how items are basically worthless for a frontrunner and become more of a hindrance than a help since you can't use rings while holding one. Why not just let them be on separate buttons? It's more useful than having an entire button dedicated to a slow respawn ability.

3. The position segment at the start of each race is kind of funny, but it would be funnier if it wasn't so needlessly punishing when you fail. Hitting the starting line too early should just respawn you after a few seconds instead of making you wait until everyone else has blasted off.

None of these would be particularly difficult fixes, so hopefully they get improved in the future because I'm having a pretty decent time with the game otherwise.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Six chaos emeralds down. These special stages are really good on their own, but having to redo an entire GP (while performing well enough to get enough points) to get another shot at them if you run out of lives really sucks. I wish they were like Hidden Palace where you had to find a secret exit in specific races instead of basing it off GP performance.

The super emeralds are going to be hell. I'm looking at you elephant gate.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure the gameplay for this is clicking for me, not sure how much of it is engine limitations and how much of it is just this is how the devs want it to play like because at times it feels real bad, but I'm still playing just to see new tracks and whatnot, loved the daytona track

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Having played a bunch, I really love this game aside from the ai.
Nothing feels worse than playing perfectly, but in the last corner, some shitball ai speeds past you with a super boost.
The worst part is how frequently it happens, and the game demands you race perfectly and get first place every race to get to the bonus stages.
Pretty sure even doing a retry deducts points.

image.png

I was pretty upset at this, lol.

Edit:

View: https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1784683298284867641?t=affcuI6FdjupWW1VbNvqtQ&s=19

I hope they improve the ai more the next update, this seems crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like this way more than SRB2Kart.

I like the new mechanics, even if I think they could use some reworking or adjustment. The ring system is cool, but I don't love having to manually consume them. Especially since items block being able to use rings, it feels counter intuitive. It would be cooler if they tied into other moves like drifting, or spindash to make it more viable for something other than recovery.

I love the slope physics. It really bugs me that other racing games kinda ignore slopes when it's such a big part of, you know, rolling objects. Getting stuck on one is annoying, but it makes sense to target players going up a hill to further slow them down. Makes things more dynamic. And spindashing after stalling on a hill is easy enough to recover from.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I completed the main set of Cups (there are cups with more difficult unlock conditions after these but I don't know how many) and it's a really fun game but man there are some frustrating decisions made in it.

The final track I played is 10 minutes long, for instance.

I look forward to seeing the tweaks.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Another design choice that just makes me ask "why?" - on Mega Scrap Brain Zone they start you off in front of a giant pit for no apparent reason other than to troll new players. There's a boost pad behind you so you can back up into it and use the momentum to get to the starting line, but the AI doesn't know this so they all immediately fall to their deaths.

View: https://streamable.com/tt4ovf

How do you chat in this game lol

You have to manually bind the chat button, it's unassigned by default for some reason.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I'm always impressed how people program and make stuff like this making it seem like its some long last game.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Another design choice that just makes me ask "why?" - on Mega Scrap Brain Zone they start you off in front of a giant pit for no apparent reason other than to troll new players. There's a boost pad behind you so you can back up into it and use the momentum to get to the starting line, but the AI doesn't know this so they all immediately fall to their deaths.
I actually think that's pretty funny. The actual Scrap Brain Zone does the same thing.

upUv3i.gif

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think that's pretty funny. The actual Scrap Brain Zone does the same thing.

upUv3i.gif

It's kind of funny but I wish the game could decide whether it wants to be a hardcore kart racer with a high skill floor and punishing difficulty or a wacky casual game with overpowered items and le epic position trolls.

On a positive note I think the Mega Cup in general is a really neat concept, a bunch of zones from Sonic 1 done in a pseudo-Super Mario Kart style where the layouts are totally flat and giant colored blocks wall off the track.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently you can get 101% if you do every challenge in the game without using chao keys (using them doesn't lock you out, you just have to do the challenge afterwards for it to count). Fuuuck that. Getting all the emeralds on master mode sounds like torture.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah played more of this game offline and online the past few days and it's a blast. I really love the game, it's just that the Grand Prix experience is miserable lol.

The AI feels better this patch but they gotta tone down some of the Rival speed buffs/able to obtain any items/etc. It's really silly I gotta play worse at the start of races just so they don't buff their speed like crazy.

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a constant ping pong between tracks that are actually really fun and well designed, and tracks that are 100% pain throughout made only for the masters of the srb2k.

There is a part of you that wants you to master the handling and mechanics to conquer those latter tracks, for sure. But jesus christ, who designed Death Egg. Who.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed most of the tracks I've played so far but yeah Balloon Park is definitely the worst one I've played. That elephant gate.....

Pico Park is also kinda bad, but mostly because Baby Park clone + brutal AI leads to a pretty frustrating experience.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Y'all saw the passwords.txt file in the directory that lets you skip the tutorial and unlock the online mode, right?

This is a wildly mechanically dense game to the point that I was not having a good time without finishing the tutorial. It's pretty incredible and very much not for me.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I think I like most, if not all, maps when I'm not racing against the AI...
Death Egg however, needs to be 2 rounds, 3 is way too much.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get the emeralds?

I've only come across one so far, at first I thought you had to beat it in the race, then I tried destroying the capsule with items but it never seemed to break and I ended up running out of lives

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
How do you get the emeralds?

I've only come across one so far, at first I thought you had to beat it in the race, then I tried destroying the capsule with items but it never seemed to break and I ended up running out of lives

Get a good score, so getting first every round and placing first, finishing with 20 rings, destroy all items in the bonus stage.
Also don't retry as that deducts points.
You can get a few B's or even C's and still get to the bonus stage at the end if you did well.

As for destroying the capsule in the bonus stage, just hit it more. Then grab the emerald when it breaks.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
jumped into this expecting a fun little janky kart racer

however, this shit is truly nuts with how much nuance is present and the jank is purely my lack of understanding

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I guess we actually got some kind of Sega All-Stars Racing after all...
I don't know if the game needed to be soooo much complex and hardcore though, but definitely it's interesting, loving the focus on the single player content too.

Jtrov

Oct 25, 2017
Tutorial was so bizarre, but I loved the set-up leading to it. Once the real racing began it was chaotic, but highly enjoyable.

After one cup, I hop into online MP (not modded) to test it out and it was even crazier. Though I couldn't figure out how people were using characters not listed to choose from. This seems relatively new, but is there a guide of some sort on how to unlock new racers?

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So I know Sonic Robo-Blast 2 was made using a modified version of the Doom engine; do we know what engine Ring Racers is built on?