• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So I just noticed we never had a thread for this.

1.) First up, Mass Effect 3 shipped about 6 million copies, according to EA:

EA said:
Blake Jorgensen - Electronic Arts Inc. - CFO

And the last Mass Effect did close to 6 million units

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...49A5-8D8D-87D0AFAE7A7E/EA_Transcript_Q317.pdf

2.) Mark Darrah, Executive Producer for Dragon Age and Anthem, noted that Dragon Age: Inquisition is their best selling game:

Mind, 6 million would not actually be that large for a major singleplayer AAA RPG these days, given Skyrim is at 30 million, Fallout 4 shipped 12 million on day one (compared to 7 million for Skyrim), The Witcher 3 is around 10-12+ million, and even games like Dark Souls are moving around 5-6 million on the best performing entries. That said, this is a minimum number for the game, since we only have Mass Effect 3's sales to go on.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, it's one of my favorite Bioware games.

Bring on the hate!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. You'd think ME3 would have sold better, but I guess not.

People keep saying there's a good game somewhere inside DA:I if you just focus on the main quest. I guess I have to get back to it some time.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'm glad it did as well as it did. Hopefully that means if Anthem doesn't do well, EA can keep Bioware in some form to keep making Dragon Age. Though knowing EA, I doubt it.

Not to mention it's nice having a game in the AAA space that's willing to explore more complex and controversial subjects like Religon and Sexuality.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was a good game so I am glad it sold well.

I can't believe that their games have sold so little though compared to everyone else... that seems really weird.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like to know what number 2 is, and if it's Andromeda.
While EA said that Andromeda did pretty well for them financially, it would be really surprising to me if it moved 6 million copies.

I could maybe see 3-4 based on what we were seeing with things like NPD including digital, but I think if it did 6+, we wouldn't have seen BioWare Montreal's staff all sent over to Motive.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a middling game but it released at THE PERFECT time.

I hope they realized its sales are not a reflection of its quality (well Andromeda was using the same blueprint so hopefully that showed them)

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I remember those dark, dark times. It was also cross gen so yeah, no surprise too.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm sure I remember Bioware saying they wanted Mass 3 to sell 10 million plus leading up to its release, and that this would be their new sales target for games going forwards. I'll try and dig up the quote, but in the meantime, isn't it weird that their games don't sell more than this? Especially Mass Effect.

EDIT: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/mass-effect-designer-needs-to-sell-10-million-units/

"Well, we need to sell 10 million units," said BioWare co-founder Dr. Greg Zeschuk. "That's actually the new target, right? We do Top 10 games, our stuff is quite successful."

This was also during the buildup to DA2 =P

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It was a middling game but it released at THE PERFECT time.

I hope they realized its sales are not a reflection of its quality (well Andromeda was using the same blueprint so hopefully that showed them)
After Andromeda struggled, they scrapped everything they had for Dragon Age 4 thus far, rebooted the project with a skeleton crew, and sent almost all of the staff to work on Anthem instead, so I think it's safe to say they're updating the game design there.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it.

Combat was fantastic. Crit Archer build was one of the most satisfying things to play as in any action RPG

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
definitely shocked me. I figured mass effect would be far more successful considering it has much more mainstream appeal.
and honestly, i enjoyed the game, but its easily one of the weakest offerings of bioware.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Deserves even more. Improved on a lot of things from the first two games and, honestly, is my favorite Dragon Age game, even over Origins. Put more than 250 hours into it. Trespasser is a masterpiece.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That is damn impressive considering the online backlash. Beat the game and DLCs last summer. Enjoyed my time with it once I tried out some of the other builds.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's pretty low for an AAA multi platform game, I even thought ME was much higher than that.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, I am utterly mystified as to how that happened.

I remember a lot of people praising it on release.

Then I finally played it a couple of years later and found myself wishing I could have some of whatever those people were smoking. Because how else did anybody convince themselves to enjoy that soulless checklist-fest?

You have closed 3/7 rifts.
You have visited 9/12 star map shrine thingies.
You have completed 83% of this region.
You have 80/120 influence required to unlock the next mission.
You are having 9/100 fun.

Oh, and the combat can go suck on a sweaty ferret.

At least Solus and the Iron Bull were pretty cool guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Mass Effect topped out at 6 million copies.

That seems pretty low.
Mass Effect 3 really sold that poorly? Wow, I had no idea.
definitely shocked me. I figured mass effect would be far more successful considering it has much more mainstream appeal.
and honestly, i enjoyed the game, but its easily one of the weakest offerings of bioware.
The first two Mass Effect games averaged out to a combined 7 million (so about 3.5 million for each) by the time Mass Effect 3 was announced, whereas Dragon Age: Origins got to around 4 million shipped in a few months, so it's technically almost always been the bigger series.

This is also part of why BioWare has been looking in new directions and trying things like more action combat and more open world approaches, since their game sales kind of stagnated. Once upon a time, they were a top selling RPG studio, but the genre just grew much bigger than their games ever did.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game. Always love Dragon Age. But I love Dragon Age 2 slightly less compared to Origins and Inquisition.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
While EA said that Andromeda did pretty well for them financially, it would be really surprising to me if it moved 6 million copies.

I could maybe see 3-4 based on what we were seeing with things like NPD including digital, but I think if it did 6+, we wouldn't have seen BioWare Montreal's staff all sent over to Motive.
I agree in principle. I think no matter how many copies it sold some decisions had already been made, though, based on what EA said before and after release.

Maybe not, all too easy to believe there was some conspiracy that resulted in a game I was looking forward to so much having such a rocky launch.

Anyway, I think Anthem will outsell this, I hope it will also be good enough to '''deserve''' that, and that DA4 will go on to be something special as well.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, it's a fantastic game. I'm hoping Anthem is good but also hope it doesn't consume the studio I'd love another DA game or a new ME game by the same team(s) as the trilogy.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a depressing world where selling three million copies of a game isn't enough to continue and necessitates radical course correction.

That's what you get for having EA ride your ass though, I guess.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
That should tell them they need to work on the sequel! They've left us hanging with that cliff hanger for way too long and the news about people being pulled off of DA for Anthem is kind of disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I think Anthem looks great but I want another DA!

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Good game.

Great lore and world-building, decent characters and story.

Gameplay was hit or miss.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
What a depressing world where selling three million copies of a game isn't enough to continue and necessitates radical course correction.

That's what you get for having EA ride your ass though, I guess.
Before EA bought BioWare, they were running out of money despite having launched many critically sucessful games - it really hasn't anything to do with EA and how the gaming industry is.