Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Now that the honey mood period is over, how is everyone liking the game?

I'm not in love with it, honestly. I really do think they did a great job making the combo system feel open and satisfying, and aesthetically I think this game shows a real mastery for what they have been trying to accomplish since Xrd moving to 3D models.

Thing is, the character special movesets are pretty shallow, the assist system is super basic with only 1 assist per character (partially due to the shallow special movesets I guess), and it is such an overwhelmingly offensive game even compared to other team-based fighters. The game's neutral is as basic as it gets and there is pretty much no consistent way to stop it from collapsing, the systems themselves seem designed to ensure it happens quickly. I don't expect that to evolve much over time either, it'll likely only become more optimized around setplay and the first brief neutral dance into who can get the first hard knockdown.

My time with it has made me feel a bit more certain that I actually prefer the duo games over trio ones in general. It's obviously possible to have way more interesting neutral / zoning game in a trio game with assists than this (see MvC2) but they are so damn hard to play at that point that those games are easier for me to appreciate watching than playing. This game has a cadence that I think is just going to feel kind of rote after a while, and I can't see this game's pretty bad surrounding structure keeping me engaged in spite of that.

I think this style of game will keep a pretty decent player base (especially compared to ASW's other games) so at a minimum I don't think it's a game where it'll die to due lack of activity or anything, and I suspect it'll still be a good time spectating at this year's EVO. Still, it feels to me like it might be a lead-in for something much better down the road, like MSHvSF was before MvC2 came to be. I'm glad this game has been a great success for ASW though, and I hope it gets them to modernize their online structure, because in that regard this game feels at least a generation behind, and that's ignoring the parts of it that still aren't working properly as of today.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if there's any benefit to casual mode at all if I am only dabbling in the online side of things. I don't have the game in front of me, but I'm a little unsure I'm being matched against the right people.

At least in ranked I'd be up against.......what are the definitions and where are they explained?

This lobby drama and the actual mechanics of the match-making process in the game are not getting my hackles up. Yet.

I just want to eliminate anything I'm doing wrong from a settings perspective before I start blaming my (lack of) skills.

Ring Matches are (in theory) the best way for a bunch of people here to fight together I'm told. Add me.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun. Not my favorite Arcsys game (Guilty Gear), but considering I love MvC2 and anime fighters, this is right up my alley. I'm very interested in seeing how the meta develops and how the competitive scene plays out. Don't really have any big complaints about mechanics, but I'll need to give it some time on that front.

The lobby stuff is dumb and bad. Hated it in their other games too, so it feels even more backwards here. I don't get why they couldn't even get an invite system or make ring matches happen independently of the lobby bullshit. Arcsys also needs to stop putting characters behind their long story modes I don't want to play.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen anyone talk about it, but you can still guard cancel when you're down to your last character:

Way better than a regular guard cancel too

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen anyone talk about it, but you can still guard cancel when you're down to your last character:

Whoa, that's crazy. So simple, but not something someone would necessarily think of.

does deflect not do lows then?

wouldnt mind them adding a low deflect then like 3S
That video is lacking some details and isn't clear in some others. Reflect works against lows. It just will get pre-empted by lows if you try to reflect in a tight block string and the opponent throws out a low.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Did a combo with DHC into Tien and God damn can this dude extend stuff. Do any ground based super and then DHC to Tien. Where his super is in the air he can immediately followup with a super dash to extend the combo into an additional air portion and Tien got some INSANE air time in combos. Dude's damn near Chun Li levels of bouncing people high in the air.

Some surprisingly good pairings in this game. I think Tien with Vegeta worked pretty well, Nappa plus anyone with an air grab (Piccolo or Android 16) and you have a fucking Super Skrull scenario on snapback, Beerus and any long winded assist that lets him setup orbs, Cell and Vegeta for the crazy extensions it gives Cell in the air and for the setups it gives him, Kid Buu and honest to God Krillin rock throws is nasty what with his lows and fast cannonballing. So many fuckin team combos...my God and we still got DLC coming.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Oooooh.

I think I did this once by accident and was totally confused mid-scramble. Nice to know this is a universal thing, super useful.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll drop Kid Buu. Just isn't for me. Need a new anchor now though...

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Pretty awesome. Have some notes (shouldnt be anything new or unexpected)
  • Forward + Assist unreliable in online play for me (2+ frame delay). Need to figure out if it's me or the game.
  • Need global button prompts (PC + Arcade stick). I hate these xbox button prompts.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Btw is Yamcha all the rave now? I've fought lots of Yamcha on point (you know, he was their Point for the team). I just barely beat this Yamcha guy that just spammed this one move nonstop. I saved the replay. I guess it was a super move? Just couldnt block it to save my life I almost got wrecked and I had a huge lead too (3 live characters to his 1 yamcha!)

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am ready to declare it one of my favorite entries in the genre ever and easily my favorite Arcsys title (largely thanks to the IP). The lobby system and the UI are gutter trash, though. There is significant room for improvement for future revisions but the foundation is rock solid.

Arcsys also needs to stop putting characters behind their long story modes I don't want to play.
Agreed. Locking characters behind any mode in a fighting game is archaic and needs to stop.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty awesome. Have some notes (shouldnt be anything new or unexpected)
  • Forward + Assist unreliable in online play for me (2+ frame delay). Need to figure out if it's me or the game.
  • Need global button prompts (PC + Arcade stick). I hate these xbox button prompts.

It's probably you, I haven't had any issues getting it out when I needed it. Make sure you aren't in blockstun.

Deflect is risky as hell..they should let us do it while we're blocking. I tried it a few times and paid for it.
Not necessary. There's a lot of defensive options in this game.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fVY2xb0Y.jpg

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
So I dunno what it is but when I was looking at the game page I saw listed a free entry in the store to unlock 21 early.

Presumably it does as advertised... I had already rushed through story mode before I found it, so I dunno.

Anyway still immensely frustrated at my inability to counter anything. Huzzah. Done for the night. Ugh.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017

I like the game, but I don't understand it. It doesn't make sense to me.

Whiffed attacks = frame advantage

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that people can whiff attacks and keep on mashing and I just have to sit and take it and hope I can break the inevitable throw that's coming. That's not how 3D fighters work and it's been very difficult for me to stop hitting buttons after the opponent whiffs.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
So I dunno what it is but when I was looking at the game page I saw listed a free entry in the store to unlock 21 early.

Presumably it does as advertised... I had already rushed through story mode before I found it, so I dunno.

Anyway still immensely frustrated at my inability to volunteer anything. Huzzah. Done for the night. Ugh.
You can only grab that "Free" 21 unlock if you have the Season Pass.

Btw is Yamcha all the rave now? I've fought lots of Yamcha on point (you know, he was their Point for the team). I just barely beat this Yamcha guy that just spammed this one move nonstop. I saved the replay. I guess it was a super move? Just couldnt block it to save my life I almost got wrecked and I had a huge lead too (3 live characters to his 1 yamcha!)

My guess it was the crossup Wolf Fang Fist?
You can deflect it with an option select.

Jan 15, 2018

I've encountered a few Yamcha players but honestly using him on point seems like a waste. He has decent pressure and can easily open you up, but his damage is not great and the best part about him is his assist. Risking him getting killed doesn't sound like a good idea to me, it's better to put him on mid.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I was going through the tutorials and I died like 7 times on the blocking one because I couldn't block for the life of me.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh right. Weird! I'll try that next time, thanks.
I can't promise it will work but i hope for you it will. I'll just note down the steps i made for other people too.

This is a possible "fix" to the "no room found" error, i'm on PS4.

- Meet up with whoever you wanna ring match with in the same lobby
- One of you (for this example, we'll use the person you play with) make a ring match
- You try to join, you get the usual "no room found" error
- You (and only you, not your friend) change your fighter ID
- changing it will send you back to the menu, just go back to the lobby where you friend is
- have them make a new ring match and join it
- For some reason it worked for me, when all tries in the past (from just trying for fun if it was fixed) failed, this method worked in one try.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Looked back at my match against that Yamcha. He managed to nail two of my guys with Ultimate Wolf Fang. I could've blocked this but I was too busy trying to close out the match and almost lost

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Its hard to predict Hits movements which is exactly the reason why I use him. Does Hit take less damage? I feel like Hit can take a bigger beating than my other characters (Black & Trunks), but it can all just be in my head.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Can you not switch from crouching to standing block while you're in block stun?

Multiple times now I'm crouch blocking and I very clearly see the opponent going for a jump-in while I'm blocking a beam assist. I shift my stick to back with what seems like plenty of time to block the incoming overhead, and I get hit.

First I just thought my reactions were slow, but several times in the last few matches I know I moved my stick with plenty of time to block the attack and still got hit. Super frustrating!

I may be done with this game until they fix online. I can't deal with the frustrations of learning this backward system (to me) while only getting one match every 30 minutes.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Frieza is an encouraging training partner.

"That won't do!"
"Can't you do any better?"
"Keep at it."

Status
Not open for further replies.