Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You know, the more I think about the roster of this game, the more I get triggered.

So many opportunities for 3 men team that you can't make. Almost seems deliberate. =(

Raditz Nappa Vegeta

Roshi Krilin Tien

Majin Buu Super Buu Kid Buu

Zarbon Ginyu Freeza

16 17 18

Team Waifu (LOL)

Sigma

Oct 25, 2017
I get why everyone's tight at seeing the same characters for top 8's, online etc but doesn't that always happen regardless that it's dbz? Sf5, marvel... this ain't really new lmao.

Don't get me wrong, I wanna see other chars do as well as the top and I hope they buff tf outta the weaker chars or at least give different assists because tbh I think that's a huge reason why chars aren't getting picked, but it doesn't surprise me that we see the same cause "pick a top tier".

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get why everyone's tight at seeing the same characters for top 8's, online etc but doesn't that always happen regardless that it's dbz? Sf5, marvel... this ain't really new lmao.
With FighterZ, the pool of "top tier" characters is much more narrow, which means you'll see Cell FAR more often, for example, than you would Cammy in SFV right now. Also, because of the nature of the game, there is little variance between playstyles among players.

In other games, more characters feel more viable on a tournament level than they do in FighterZ, but that might also be the nature of VS games compared to 1v1. You wouldn't see a top 8 of everyone playing the exact same character in a 1v1 game, while that's a thing in FighterZ.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't get me wrong, I wanna see other chars do as well as the top and I hope they buff tf outta the weaker chars or at least give different assists because tbh I think that's a huge reason why chars aren't getting picked, but it doesn't surprise me that we see the same cause "pick a top tier".
SFV character diversity is enormous, and has been since launch. It has had its balance issues, but people tend to stick with their mains.

Marvel 3's Evo top 8s were consistently very diverse.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
EVO 2017 was anything but diverse for me. I spectated SFV, BB, IJ2, and GG Xrd. I thought the Top 8 had lots of repeats for all of them

SFV for example - https://smash.gg/tournament/evo-2017/events/street-fighter-v/stats (look at that use data, only like 6 dudes/gals seen much play)

This game, like the other top fighters, will not be a diverse Top 8 (EVO 2018). I still thank Jesus IJ2 had one shocker, The Flash. HoneyBeeCommander, you my friend were the true champion of EVO

And I dont blame these pros for spamming top tiers they are playing to win.

I haven't been here in a minute, what's goodie boiiiis.

It always feels great when the characters you wanted to play come out top tier lmao. Cell and black are legit what they should be and I wish every char was like them.

Having trouble picking a third character. It was vegeta but you know how shit goes lmao. I need vegito! Ima actually try and stick with broly on the team cause I like how he plays. Plus he's just a dope ass saiyan.

Yo you the same Sigma from MvC:I (gaf)? We played a set once in mvci. Good to see you here

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SFV top 8 last year had 8 unique characters. Plus, in tag games like this, it's much worse seeing the same characters over and over again imo. This game just feels like everyone gravitated to the same few characters a lot faster than normal, even compared to something like marvel.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think adding more assists for each character might not be what we need here. That is the kind of thing that could seriously revitalize the competitive scene but I also think it would seriously scare off casual fans big time too. Perhaps the game needs some sort of mechanical shakeup to change up the meta instead of just adding more pre-game options? I would like to see them revise super dash and the defensive options a bit personally.

I really wish this game had competitive diversity comparable to Killer Instinct. Even a hipster like me wants to swap out some of my more odd picks for characters like Cell or Goku Black and that kinda bums me out.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
^ Yeah nevermind I got the wrong link there. Definitely my bad there.

I think adding more assists for each character might not be what we need here. That is the kind of thing that could seriously revitalize the competitive scene but I also think it would seriously scare off casual fans big time too. Perhaps the game needs some sort of mechanical shakeup to change up the meta instead of just adding more pre-game options? I would like to see them revise super dash and the defensive options a bit personally.

I really wish this game had competitive diversity comparable to Killer Instinct. Even a hipster like me wants to swap out some of my more odd picks for characters like Cell or Goku Black and that kinda bums me out.

Yeah I've gotten rather tired of superdash and vanish myself. Been taking a break to play other fighters and its been relaxing being able to not worry bout my opponent teleporting in an instant

Still spectating tournaments that stream though

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Speaking of tournament diversity I added two more majors to the list I compiled a month ago. Only Top 8 finishes.
What changed? Ginyu, Gotenks and Piccolo got their first appearances.
Vegeta reaching absurd numbers, Adult Gohan, #16 and Goku Black appeared less. Kid Boo and Bardock on the rise.

Leaderboard:

SSJ Vegeta - 33
Cell - 23
Adult Gohan - 17
#16 - 13
Goku Black - 13
Kid Boo - 13
Trunks - 10
SSJ Goku - 9
Bardock - 6
#18 - 6
#21 - 6
Hit - 5
Tenshinhan - 4
Gotenks - 2
Blue Goku - 2
Teen Gohan - 2
Nappa - 1
Blue Vegeta - 1
Majin Boo - 1
Ginyu - 1
Piccolo - 1

No appearances: Kuririn, Yamcha, Beerus, Freeza and Broly.

Winter Brawl

#16 - 3
Cell - 3
SSJ Vegeta - 2
Goku Black - 2
Adult Gohan - 2
Trunks - 2
Kid Boo - 2
#18 - 2
#21 - 1
Blue Goku - 1
Blue Vegeta - 1
SSJ Goku - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Hit - 1

Final Round
SSJ Vegeta - 5
Adult Gohan - 4
Cell - 3
Goku Black - 3
#16 - 2
Trunks - 2
Kid Boo - 2
Hit - 1
#18 - 1
SSJ Goku - 1

NorCal
Adult Gohan - 5
SSJ Vegeta - 5
Cell - 3
Kid Boo - 3
Goku Black - 2
Trunks - 2
Tenshinhan - 1
#16 - 1
#18 - 1
SSJ Goku - 1

Anime Ascention
Cell - 5
#16 - 5
SSJ Vegeta - 3
Adult Gohan - 2
#21 - 1
Hit - 1
Trunks - 1
Teen Gohan - 1
Majin Boo - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
Nappa - 1
Goku Black - 1
SSJ Goku - 1

Brussels Challenge
SSJ Vegeta - 5
Adult Gohan - 3
#21 - 3
SSJ Goku - 3
Bardock - 3
Cell - 2
Goku Black - 2
Hit - 1
Trunks - 1
#18 - 1

Texas Showdown
Vegeta - 5
Kid Boo - 4
Cell - 3
Goku Black - 3
Bardock - 2
SSJ Goku - 2
Trunks - 1
Adult Gohan - 1
Piccolo - 1
Gotenks - 1
Blue Goku - 1
#18 - 1

KVOxTSB
Vegeta - 8
Cell - 4
Kid Boo -2
#16 - 2
Bardock -1
Trunks - 1
Gotenks - 1
Ginyu - 1
Hit - 1
Tenshinhan - 1
#21 - 1
Teen Gohan - 1

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
^ Nice work.

Jeez just finished watching Tyrant_UK matches

The finals was Cell vs Cell. What's funny this tourney had so much variety and Cell players still found their way to the Grand Finals

What's funny you could tell they were desperate to not lose Cell. Even if it meant sparking L1 to keep Cell alive.

Oct 28, 2017
Bluegeta's new grabs don't seem to have many new neutral implementations, but they do allow for him to get a corner safejump from any point on the screen for a meter.

It's not that meter efficient but given that the guy can't end in a super midscreen, and he builds decent meter with his pressure so you can do worse with the usage. Bluegeta's a bit weird in that his mixups and pressure are actually better midscreen but he has safejumps off of everything in the corner so it's hard to pinpoint which he excels at. Still, he's fun and hype as hell to play, though, and totally legit. The grabs actually did make him better, just in a different way than people expected.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
SFV top 8 last year had 8 unique characters. Plus, in tag games like this, it's much worse seeing the same characters over and over again imo. This game just feels like everyone gravitated to the same few characters a lot faster than normal, even compared to something like marvel.

Yep please accept my apologies. The Top 8 was diverse for SFV. Guess I was tripping cause I felt I saw so much Akuma

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Vegeta is the loudest character in the game. His screaming always throws me off my game.

Oct 28, 2017
I will say the command grab change for Bluegeta makes Tien a much better choice for an assist. You can go into the 214M safejump meterless off of most starters with good corner carry and little execution with the Dodon.

Proof of concept I made to show this off to someone else but might as well post it here. Match is a bit ugly because I'm rusty but once his Vegeta comes in Bluegeta uses the safejumps to take two characters out in quick, risk-free order. He's really fun, if you're like me and can't time any damn thing you should give him a try.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hit the training room to knock off this rust from not playing all week while Canada Cup DBFZ streamed.

Felt like my execution is getting better.

Fun Tweet

I will say the command grab change for Bluegeta makes Tien a much better choice for an assist. You can go into the 214M safejump meterless off of most starters with good corner carry and little execution with the Dodon.

Proof of concept I made to show this off to someone else but might as well post it here. Match is a bit ugly because I'm rusty but once his Vegeta comes in Bluegeta uses the safejumps to take two characters out in quick, risk-free order. He's really fun, if you're like me and can't time any damn thing you should give him a try.

You making me want to try Blue Vegeta he looks fun esp with that team.

Oct 28, 2017
You making me want to try Blue Vegeta he looks fun esp with that team.

That's what I'm trying to do man lol. I'm not great and I'm probably never going to be, but I'm good enough to show what this character can do, raise awareness, and hopefully get more people to play him. He's fun, he's genuinely a very good point character, and he deserves to be seen more than he currently is.

Oct 28, 2017
PC ranked was actually kind enough to match me with two other SSGs before it did the usual and made me wait 20 minutes without finding anybody who'd accept, so I'll throw those here too in case anyone was interested in that team comp and wanted to see it at a bit higher level of play while the topic of conversation is actually about Bluegeta for once.

If anyone has any advice or pointers of course feel free to bring them up. I make quite a few errors there. Some of them I'm conscious of, like going the wrong way with Vegeta's grab routes a few times and other minor mental lapses, but there's doubtless others I fail to see and could use another viewpoint on. I'm pretty confident in Bluegeta and Yamcha so I can articulate well what I do and don't do well with them, but I'm still not really comfortable with Tien. Also is there any strong counter to what the Bardock was doing with the dash punch in the last match? Trying to chase him down was hella annoying and I wasn't sure how to deal with it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Okay maybe I'll try Bluegeta again

Oh god I need to remember this. One of my big holes in my game is that I'm not using reflect enough

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this game frustrates me at times but I still love it. Admittedly part of the love is because its a Dragon Ball game but the game itself is fun to play.

In the future I'd kind of like to see ArcSys take a crack at a 1 on 1 DB fighter as well
I desperately want them to do this for OG DB.

Doubt it'll ever happen, though.

Ultimate unrelated dream game: TMNT fighter by ASW.

Back on topic, I finally got my new TV! Played some online tonight. Was thoroughly garbage.

):

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
And now my power level is finally 530,000. It only took almost 500 matches. I honestly didn't think I'd get this far. I guess I've gotten better. Gohan isn't as scary anymore to me even though I still roll my eyes whenever he catches me with his stupid 5L. Cell and Bardock are the new monsters I'm afraid of. Speaking of Gohan, his EX lightning kick still feels pretty good even after the nerf. A guy used it on me during his block string and I thought he'd be open afterwards so I mashed L. However, he was able to air dash right after it without hitting the ground and I got hit with a j.L. So I guess that's still an option for me. Was I able to 2H him there or would it have been too slow?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess we should be getting the official reveal of vegito soon? I'm hoping they won't be dumb and pretend the trailer hasn't leaked for weeks but they probably will.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any advice for me in this online tournament set? The Yo Tornado ? I got completely destroyed.

Time stamp is 2:12:55 if the above doesn't do it automatically.

I feel the mental aspect plays a big part for me in this game, and sometimes the longer I play, the more auto-pilot I become. After I got so close in game 2 but still lost, I think I was pretty much done right there.

Sometimes I also feel like I can't move the way I want to; like it's all stiff for me. That part might be because I'm pretty used to playing FGs on a fight stick, so it might still be a transition from that to pad.

UFOkidd

Oct 25, 2017
Are there landing frames in this game? Recently Im getting punished for blocked super dashes even I block after.

I've also noticed blocks drop alot does anyone else experience this?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Seems mainly mental to me, he had you playing defensive sometimes when you didnt have to. I dont wanna generalize on your habits off of two games tho. It seems like you up back in a lot of situations (maybe to reset your brain/create space), but i feel like it often gave the other player time to claim the momentum. I like that you adapted to the downtech after 21's soft kd, that was sick. Im not a huge fan of staying down after 16 ends with command grab, but that's usually cuz i get bopped after, i like to back tech and if i see them going for iad i parry (theyll prob catch on and empty jump you at some point tho). All in all tho, the way id read it is that he got some reads, claimed the mental game, and then the match played out.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I feel like Vegeta is the loudest character in the game. His screaming always throws me off my game.
I could listen to Ryo Horikawa all day: "KAKUGO SHIRO! BIG BANG ATTACK!". Unless you're talking about the English voice, then nah, I love Japanese Vegeta.
Are there landing frames in this game? Recently Im getting punished for blocked super dashes even I block after.

I've also noticed blocks drop alot does anyone else experience this?
I'd recommend checking your inputs in replays, pre-jump frames are vulnerable so you might be accidently hitting up-back and getting punished for it, I hate it but it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.