Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
OK so this doesn't work, the lll auto combo in the air ends up in a soft knockdown and so I can't link into a special or super?

I'm having a hard time comboing in this game. Isn't it possible to cancel l, m or h into a special? It never seems to work, I can't cancel anything into anything! When in practice mode I'm trying to work out combos but when I try to transition into a special or super the combo drops everytime. It's not like this in bbtag. What's going on?

You were trying to do LM in the air into special right? So you want to press LL for the auto combo (LM equivalent). If you press L the third time you'll get an H and the H will knockdown so you probably want to do LL into special.

Have you tried the combo trial mode for your characters? it'll teach you some simple combos you can use and hopefully help you get a better understanding of the combo system in the process.

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, cause not all characters are going to have a special that can hit their opponent in an air combo, especially mid screen. Also even if you did a special, they'll just flip right out usually. So you wanna do the sliding knockdown, and either continue the rushdown or transition to a super. Now that's not the overall rule, some characters have specials that'll connect and cause knockdowns.

As for the super landing, you just gotta hit it soon as you land. There's a trick to make sure you don't mess it up, as you're falling do a heavy attack. That way you can spam super and not accidently get an air super as your falling if you time it too early.

edit: I edited the combo above, make sure you're doing the correct one.
OK thanks, I'll take a look at your edit. I'd heard about the h when falling trick but didn't think to try it out.

Guess I'll watch that Maximillian video again and try and copy along with my switch. I also need to check some character specific vids and really study. I suppose the transition from bbtag won't be as easy as I thought.

Edit thanks everyone else too. I'm just salty I can no longer cancel anything into anything lol.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Game is good indeed. But it makes me feel old as fuck.
Everyone says it is easy to get into but I suck big time and don't even dare to go online so far...

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
OK so this doesn't work, the lll auto combo in the air ends up in a soft knockdown and so I can't link into a special or super?

I'm having a hard time comboing in this game. Isn't it possible to cancel l, m or h into a special? It never seems to work, I can't cancel anything into anything! When in practice mode I'm trying to work out combos but when I try to transition into a special or super the combo drops everytime. It's not like this in bbtag. What's going on?

That is not only character dependant but its also combo path dependant. Generally you will want to get a sliding knockdown and fall down to do a super, you should have enough time to do that.
If we try the most standard thing, it would be something like this:

Nothing fancy, not anything character specific, just a bunch of auto combos and a jump cancel

The easiets way to ensure you do the super is to do a H attack before touching the ground and while you have the animation going input the super
Same thing with trunks:

Not the most damaging, but at least you should be able to use that with a bunch of characters

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
There's some really bad frame drops in docked, in handheld it's 95% fine but i'm surprised no-one has mentioned this more.

it's 10x worse on islands than any other map so far, massive input latency spikes at times. Docked is abysmal for a fighting game in comparison to the other platforms.

The game looks too nice on Switch lol, they should drop the res a little bit more to improve performance.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
There's some really bad frame drops in docked, in handheld it's 95% fine but i'm surprised no-one has mentioned this more.

it's 10x worse on islands than any other map so far, massive input latency spikes at times. Docked is abysmal for a fighting game right, in comparison to the other platforms.

The game looks too nice on Switch lol, they should drop the res a little bit more to improve performance.

I gotta try islands. In general i feel the framedrops arent consistent, like something else outside the game is triggering the framedrops. Its weird because sometimes the same situation doenst lead to framedrops

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is not only character dependant but its also combo path dependant. Generally you will want to get a sliding knockdown and fall down to do a super, you should have enough time to do that.
If we try the most standard thing, it would be something like this:

Nothing fancy, not anything character specific, just a bunch of auto combos and a jump cancel

The easiets way to ensure you do the super is to do a H attack before touching the ground and while you have the animation going input the super
Same thing with trunks:

Not the most damaging, but at least you should be able to use that with a bunch of characters

Thanks! Trying the Trunks one now (the sliding knockdown and super at least) but it doesn't work. Are you doing qcf for the super? When I do it it whiff, looks like the enemy char is invuln.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Trying the Trunks one now (the sliding knockdown and super at least) but it doesn't work. Are you doing qcf for the super? When I do it it whiff, looks like the enemy char is invuln.

If it whiffs and you're sure it's a sliding knockdown, you're either doing it too late, or you're too far away, or you're doing something other than the actual Super.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

yep, im doing qfc super. As Jaded Alyx said, you are probably doing too late. you dont have much time so you have to do the super so start inputing it right before touching the ground. In order to not accidentanly input a grab or something make sure to do a Heavy attack before touching the ground and while the animation is out input the super. Check how on the Trunks combo he uses the sword attack before doing the super.

Now, if we move a bit from the standard, Goku can add some flavor to the end of his combo like this:

Or this:

These modifications are character specific, so you will have to experiment to go beyond the standard combo from the last post. Or just watch some combos online, there are tons of videos with character specific combos.

Last edited:

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's great being forced to go back to the lobby from the training room becouse "no opponent found" in ranked

Really great, litterally the only thing i'm using this version for is practicing combos in bed so far

Also bought 17 because why the fuck not, i'm an idiot

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yep, im doing qfc super. As Jaded Alyx said, you are probably doing too late. you dont have much time so you have to do the super so start inputing it right before touching the ground. In order to not accidentanly input a grab or something make sure to do a Heavy attack before touching the ground and while the animation is out input the super. Check how on the Trunks combo he uses the sword attack before doing the super.

Now, if we move a bit from the standard, Goku can add some flavor to the end of his combo like this:

Or this:

These modifications are character specific, so you will have to experiment to go beyond the standard combo from the last post. Or just watch some combos online, there are tons of videos with character specific combos.

I'll look at the rest of your post later, for now I just can't get the super to hit after the sliding knockdown air h.

I'm doing it early enough I'm sure, the super is going over the head of Tien when he's knocked down. What's going wrong? It's maddening.

I'm not doing your full combo just from the ground, down h then h auto combo in the air which gives a sliding knockdown then landing and hitting qcf r1.

Last edited:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll look at the rest of your post later, for now I just can't get the super to hit after the sliding knockdown air h.

I'm doing it early enough I'm sure, the super is going over the head of Tien when he's knocked down. What's going wrong? It's maddening.

I'm not doing your full combo just from the ground, down h then h auto combo in the air which gives a sliding knockdown then landing and hitting qcf r1.

Do you have a twitter account linked to your switch acc? try posting the combo so we can see

It seems I barely got the combo here, as Tien was about to leave the sliding animation

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a twitter account linked to your switch acc? try posting the combo so we can see

It seems I barely got the combo here, as Tien was about to leave the sliding animation

Got it! Thanks! It wasn't a sliding knockdown. I was just doing air h but I needed to do air l, m, h to get the correct knockdown. Your vid really helped. Thanks man. I can hit it now no problems :)

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a really great port.

One stupid thing: to access the DLC store in-game you have to have a Switch Online membership, because the offline lobby doesn't let you access it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

it's 10x worse on islands than any other map so far, massive input latency spikes at times. Docked is abysmal for a fighting game in comparison to the other platforms.

Yeah, docked seems pretty ass, especially since it seems a lot of the framedrops are random.

I primarily bought the game for handheld play (which is way smoother) and have the PS4 version, so I'm not too bothered about it, but still.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
That arcade last stage is fucking insane

Didnt had to do this to unlock the blues on PC.
What the fuck that damage
At least I got both blues now

Got it! Thanks! It wasn't a sliding knockdown. I was just doing air h but I needed to do air l, m, h to get the correct knockdown. Your vid really helped. Thanks man. I can hit it now no problems :)

Glad I could help!

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through the training right now, it seems like the game isn't too complex but it'll take some time to get good. I'm bad at fighting games not called Super Smash Bros. though.

Also does this game support voice chat through the app...? There's like no page that says which software is supported for voice chat through the app.

Last edited:

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Experienced a crash earlier that interrupted my first Ranked match. Has anybody had that happen? It booted me immediately to the home screen, saying an error occurred and that was it.

Also, no Switch release OT?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, this game is amazing and I'm having a blast, specially with PvP matches (even if I keep getting destroyed).

Word of advice:

If you are going trough the Story mode but started the game in Online mode, save frequently. If you happen to put your Switch in standby you will lose your progress.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That arcade last stage is fucking insane

Didnt had to do this to unlock the blues on PC.
What the fuck that damage
At least I got both blues now

Glad I could help!

I was gonna say should've done a vanish, but I noticed that you had 0 bars of meter. That is still fucking brutal though.

It'll be a little while before I get SSGSS Goku and Vegeta. Best Buy done screwed up on the preorder codes, so I'm having to unlock 'em the old fashioned way. I'm not good enough to beat Arcade on hard, so I'm taking the scenic route and playing the story to earn Zeni.

Last edited:

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Just want to chime in here and sing some praises for this port. Game runs BEAUTIFULLY in handheld mode. I notice a super small sink in resolution during some of the more complex supers, and the loading times are a little long. But seriously this is outstanding. Playing handheld with the joycon feels way better than I thought it would; sometimes it feels more comfortable than a pro controller for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Having an issue where I can't connect to the servers when I'm using a wired connection. It works fine on wifi in both docked and handheld. This has never happened on PC when I've played. Anyone else have this issue? It really is bizarre.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone sign-up for BN Brazil's newsletter? They were offering a code for Super Butoden on Switch for the first 10,000 I think to sign-up, and I think codes would work on NA accounts.

Problem is, some person decided to post about it after the damn thing even ended. I saw it like 13 mins after that person tweeted and posted about it. I signed-up, then I checked the source being BN Brazil's FB page, and they already ended the thing like 2 days ago. :/

If anyone did and gets a spare, I'd certainly appreciate a code. :(

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Replying to my own message. Has anyone played with just one joycon? Is that a good controller option does it feel weird?

You can see how different the inputs are in the pause menu under "Simple Controls". As for how it plays, it's passable for casual bouts, just takes getting used to.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Is there any actual downside to using simplified inputs for Specials and Supers as opposed to proper manual ones?

There seems to be a lot of depth, a lot to learn for someone like me, who has little history with classic 2D fighters. That is without getting into the combo extension business.

Despite this, I appreciate the training wheels ArcSys has granted me.

The game feels great btw and the Switch port looks pretty nice in handheld mode, even with some very noticeable aliasing.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lobbies are so empty. The game must have bombed hard. Very sad :( I double dipped

Dec 23, 2017
Every online game has been struggling since Nintendo's online subscription launched. Pokken is basically dead as well.

I'm not sure online heavy games not named Smash, Mario Kart of Splatoon can survive Nintendo's paid online.
Can confirm. I have no purchased the online yet and have no reason to. My son plays fornite but that's free to play. No need for me.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'll necessarily buy the online when D3 drops, so I guess I'll buy it now for DBZ, Paladins, and Rocket League.

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BS .... I don't play online games anyway so I'm good. Maybe if there was a COD on the switch with online I would do it but I'm good right now.

There are lots of online games I want to play on switch, I'm very happy with my purchase. Why act like there are no interesting online games just because there is no cod.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it as a donation to improve the quality of the Nintendo online service.
Yeah like how PS+ and Gold improved their quality. This just another way for them to get money, i'm a sucker myself for paying ps+ but I dont believe the bullshit that they use any of that to 'improve' the quality. It's a shame that we're paying for something that should have been free but MS made it a norm.

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
Just 7 more Halloween colors to go before I can relax and start collecting regular colors.

The grind is real

Yep. Just finished collecting the Halloween stuff today. I have almost 15 hours in the game and barely collected anything from normal z capsules. I just played arcade most of the time to grind Zeni.

OP
OP

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's odd, I barely even bother with my zeni. I don't care about the colours at all. I just head to ranked everytime grinding for that BP.