• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Freeza killing Paragus is still the best moment in the entire movie, and might just be one of the best moments in all of DB, lol.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Avoiding looking at any of the actual content of this thread, minus responses to this post:

Are any screenings in the United States showing Japanese w/ subtitles, as opposed to the dub? Please and thank you!

Nov 2, 2017
I watched and enjoyed the movie. While the end fight was amazingly well animated, I feel the movie was at its best in the first half. I legitimately enjoyed watching all the Saiyan intrigue, and even the Dragon Ball Minus stuff wasn't terrible (though I still prefer Toei's Bardock special), as well as the Broly development.

I just feel it could have gone a bit further without really adding too much screen time. Get into Broly's head more, show that he understands that his exile was the fault of Vegeta's line, and that he's not just being sicced on him by Paragus/Frieza like a dog. Let him actually get some of the conversation at the end, rather than him staring blankly as Cheelai does all the talking. Paragus's death too. We should have gotten a sort of flashback montage showing Broly's conflicted emotions regarding his dad, that he knows the collar was wrong and it scared him, but that he was the only other person he'd ever known and he loved him. Broly was the main character of this movie, and I loved what they had with him here, I just felt it could have been truly amazing if they pushed it further.

Additionally, while I understand that he's not the LSSJ anymore (though he always will be in my heart), it was kind of weird that he hulked out mid-fight with no fanfare. It just happened while fighting Gogeta. It should have been as epic as his first jump to SSJ. And while I'm glad to finally see a fusion just straight up win, it was a little too much of a stomp.

EDIT: also, I get that they wanted Broly to be a berserker, but he should have had some dialogue while fighting. In my mind, he was definitely the hero of this story (if misguided), and it would have made him a lot more human.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched and enjoyed the movie. While the end fight was amazingly well animated, I feel the movie was at its best in the first half. I legitimately enjoyed watching all the Saiyan intrigue, and even the Dragon Ball Minus stuff wasn't terrible (though I still prefer Toei's Bardock special), as well as the Broly development.

I just feel it could have gone a bit further without really adding too much screen time. Get into Broly's head more, show that he understands that his exile was the fault of Vegeta's line, and that he's not just being sicced on him by Paragus/Frieza like a dog. Let him actually get some of the conversation at the end, rather than him staring blankly as Cheelai does all the talking. Paragus's death too. We should have gotten a sort of flashback montage showing Broly's conflicted emotions regarding his dad, that he knows the collar was wrong and it scared him, but that he was the only other person he'd ever known and he loved him. Broly was the main character of this movie, and I loved what they had with him here, I just felt it could have been truly amazing if they pushed it further.

Additionally, while I understand that he's not the LSSJ anymore (though he always will be in my heart), it was kind of weird that he hulked out mid-fight with no fanfare. It just happened while fighting Gogeta. It should have been as epic as his first jump to SSJ. And while I'm glad to finally see a fusion just straight up win, it was a little too much of a stomp.

EDIT: also, I get that they wanted Broly to be a berserker, but he should have had some dialogue while fighting. In my mind, he was definitely the hero of this story (if misguided), and it would have made him a lot more human.
I felt the same way regarding Broly needing to speak more. It was kind of awkward how little he talked, kind of like the silent protagonist in a game who everyone talks AT instead of talking TO.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Gogeta stomping Broly was great, the whole situation switched around, it became kind of an Old Yeller thing with Gogeta having to put down a rabid dog. The music near the near of the Gogeta fight was excellent at selling the tragedy of Gogeta having to kill Broly.

This time however the dog gets saved.

This movie could really benefit from some more fleshing out in a new show, needed to get inside Broly's head more. Well the animation won't be as great though...

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think I got the most nostalgic feels when Goku's pod was headed towards earth and they suddenly do the time skip through the ages while an instrumental version of
Cha-La Head-Cha-La plays.

Such well done fan service in this.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

MVP said he was gonna watch a movie tonight with the night off, asked for recommendations. Down to those two, lol.

Lol I just got back from watching Broly and I'm going back to watch Aquaman in 30 minutes. Broly was AMAZING. I like the new stuff they did with Broly and Paragus but not with Bardock and Planet Vegeta. The movie was Sakuga City. It even ended with Broly living through the bullshit and making friends. All in all great film.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Thinking back on the movie a day later, and I freaking LOVE how the climax wasn't "Oh yeah! Gogeta's gonna take down Broly!" but instead "oh no, Gogeta's gonna kill Broly!"

We've never had a situation like this in the history of the franchise IIRC, and it's such a clever take on the typical DB formula. To date, no fusion has EVER outright finished off a big bad canonically, but this time it didn't time out or fail miserably, and it didn't need to because Gogeta killing Broly would have been the bad ending.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking back on the movie a day later, and I freaking LOVE how the climax wasn't "Oh yeah! Gogeta's gonna take down Broly!" but instead "oh no, Gogeta's gonna kill Broly!"

We've never had a situation like this in the history of the franchise IIRC, and it's such a clever take on the typical DB formula. To date, no fusion has EVER outright finished off a big bad canonically, but this time it didn't time out or fail miserably, and it didn't need to because Gogeta killing Broly would have been the bad ending.

Makes me wonder how Gogeta or Veggeto would have done against Jiren or Beerus.

I love that the fusion of Goku and Vegeta is still played off as game genie powerful. As it always should be, that should be the ultimate trump card.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
When Goku yelled at Vegeta to not finish off Broly early in the fight all I could think was that Goku's mostly upset that he won't get a chance to fight.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I can't be the only one who wonders why both Vegeta and Goku have known about this for a while but never cared to use it in ToP(or again fighting Buu, etc). Just Saiyan pride?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I can't be the only one who wonders why both Vegeta and Goku have known about this for a while but never cared to use it in ToP(or again fighting Buu, etc). Just Saiyan pride?
In the ToP, I recall them saying that Goku and Vegeta fusing would effectively reduce their numbers and if the fusion got taken out, they were out two members.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder how Gogeta or Veggeto would have done against Jiren or Beerus.

I love that the fusion of Goku and Vegeta is still played off as game genie powerful. As it always should be, that should be the ultimate trump card.
Goku said that he thinks Broly may be stronger than Beerus. So, we can at least say Gogeta would wreck Beerus. As for Jiren, I got the impression Broly was stronger than him as well, but who really knows with Dragon Ball. IIRC, it was said Jiren was stronger than some of the Gods of Destruction (Belmod at least). It gave the impression Jiren may be below Beerus, who appeared to be the best fighter of the Gods.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Freeza's mission to grow bigger using dragon balls actually plays out in that growing enables him to fuse with Broly, who is much taller than Freeza and thus can't do the fusion dance with? Goku + Vegeta vs Freeza + Broly.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Vegeta didn't know how to use the Fusion Dance in the ToP, and they either didn't think to bring Portara earnings or assumed that they would be against the rules IIRC.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expected it to have awesome action, be funny, be beautiful and have great character moments. The new animation style's been on display in trailers for a while, and Super had the rest covered already.

I didn't expect the clarity of the writing (so much is cleaned up in this film it's crazy), to love the new lore and to like new side characters. I have full confidence in this group running Dragon Ball stories in the future.

Goku said that he thinks Broly may be stronger than Beerus. So, we can at least say Gogeta would wreck Beerus. As for Jiren, I got the impression Broly was stronger than him as well, but who really knows with Dragon Ball. IIRC, it was said Jiren was stronger than some of the Gods of Destruction (Belmod at least). It gave the impression Jiren may be below Beerus, who appeared to be the best fighter of the Gods.

Pretty sure they explicitly state Jiren is stronger than Beerus in the TOP? Or at least beat him in an arm wrestling match or some such nonsense.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expected it to have awesome action, be funny, be beautiful and have great character moments. The new animation style's been on display in trailers for a while, and Super had the rest covered already.

I didn't expect the clarity of the writing (so much is cleaned up in this film it's crazy), to love the new lore and to like new side characters. I have full confidence in this group running Dragon Ball stories in the future.

Pretty sure they explicitly state Jiren is stronger than Beerus in the TOP? Or at least beat him in an arm wrestling match or some such nonsense.

I like the example

That Broly reached SSJ1 within an hour of fighting Vegeta/Goku(Not knowing that SSJ1 was a thing) and within SSJ1 overpowered Goku Blue/Vegeta Blue easily. Beyond easily.

So Broly is easily stronger than Jiren.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fusing in the TOP would have been a bad idea, they needed to have enough time for their opponents not disturbing the dance. And even with all the time in the world, they still couldn't get it right for an straight hour

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I like the example

That Broly reached SSJ1 within an hour of fighting Vegeta/Goku(Not knowing that SSJ1 was a thing) and within SSJ1 overpowered Goku Blue/Vegeta Blue easily. Beyond easily.

So Broly is easily stronger than Jiren.

Well, yeah, but Kaioken Blue was completely nothing to Jiren as well.

If he is, I don't think it's "easily". Especially since Broly is feral and dumb.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, but Kaioken Blue was completely nothing to Jiren as well.

If he is, I don't think it's "easily". Especially since Broly is feral and dumb.

that's the thing though

someone being feral and 'dumb' is unpredictable. Jiren was probably used to having a set/predictable challenge. After all, a wild fire will spread and consume more than a contained one.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
that's the thing though

someone being feral and 'dumb' is unpredictable. Jiren was probably used to having a set/predictable challenge. After all, a wild fire will spread and consume more than a contained one.

The whole fight scene in the film, Broly's unpredictable nature is not really ever shown to his advantage. It's basically a series of him getting schooled by Vegeta, Goku and then briefly Whis and juggernauting his way though those failures until Gogeta just outmatches him in every way.

I can totally see Broly being the untamed powerhouse having more raw power, but I don't think the Jiren/Broly thing is clear. Not that it really matters, I would think UI just trumps the both of them.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we can't say that about Beerus. We never see or hear about Goku fighting Beerus, so how would Goku know anything about Beerus anyway? That's just the writers wanting fans to argue about something as usual.

Until we see Beerus put to the test, I think it's futile to assume characters being stronger than him.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
When Goku yelled at Vegeta to not finish off Broly early in the fight all I could think was that Goku's mostly upset that he won't get a chance to fight.
I got the impression that Goku saw Broly was not in control of himself and thought Vegeta killing him in that state was not right. The Japanese dialogue is slightly different and makes it feel a bit clearer.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole fight scene in the film, Broly's unpredictable nature is not really ever shown to his advantage. It's basically a series of him getting schooled by Vegeta, Goku and then briefly Whis and juggernauting his way though those failures until Gogeta just outmatches him in every way.

I can totally see Broly being the untamed powerhouse having more raw power, but I don't think the Jiren/Broly thing is clear. Not that it really matters, I would think UI just trumps the both of them.

Well know, he actually bodied Goku and Vegeta until they fused. He took an aim at whist and almost hit him, to the point where Whis was impressed(through his expression). He bodied Frieza, one of the key components to beating Jiren, like it was nothing.

Broly is the real deal. if there's a legendary super saiyan, he is it. Like a wildfire he spread and consumed, but it took a combined fusion of two of the strongest warriors of all time to beat him, and even then that was left up to question as we don't know if Broly would've survived against the final blast.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not Jiren, one of the other gods. Which one changes depending on if you're watching the show or Manga. It's then shown that Beerus is a far superior fighters than the others in the exhibition. Physical strength doesn't mean fighting capacity in DB.

It's all conjecture tho.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
So the film just launched in the UK. Went to see it at Odeon Covent Garden and it was a lot of fun as the audience was legit cheering for various transformations.

Narrative:
1. Clearly, clearly cut back to the bone, but the poor sod that had to go through and chop down Toriyama's script (which is, if a little exposition heavy, consistently excellent) did a good job making sure that we got enough actual narrative to hold everything together.

2. The Dragon Ball Minus adaption is by far the weakest part of the film.

2D animation:
1. Nothing needs to be said. Holy potatoes is this a good looking film. Only spoiled by:

3D animation
1. Backgrounds and spaceships, fine.
2. Christ on a bike, Arc System Works did a better job with DB in 3D
3. Why did they waste Gogeta Blue and LSS Broly's transformations on a rushed oops-we-broke-the-universe nonsense parade

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see this.

Dopest DB movie in years. Legit tempted to catch another showing tomorrow.

Got a lot of thoughts on this one.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from this - much better movie then RoF, and action wise better then BotG too. So much better then the original non-canon brolly films it's not even funny.

Animation was fantastic, and it was overall very fun. Our - and from the sounds of things everyone else in the cinema - favourite bit of the movie was Freeza's flashback to killing krillin, and subsequent overacting after killing Paragus.

Also apparently golden freeza can last over an hour against brolly lol.

I assume this film will be the next season of DBS. I kinda wish they'd just skip to something new, I don't think they could retell this better tbh

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Dxo-Qp-VWs-AAzz-Z.jpg

That feel when you accidentally create another incredibly powerful super saiyan in your attempt to kill the first.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday James Harden went and saw Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Today he goes off for 61 points, tying Kobe Bryant for most scored by an opponent ever in MSG history. Fellow super star Clint Capela, one of harden's Teammates, posts this on twitter in celebration:

lol The Dragon Ball super movie has NBA approval

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday James Harden went and saw Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Today he goes off for 61 points, tying Kobe Bryant for most scored by an opponent ever in MSG history. Fellow super star Clint Capela, one of harden's Teammates, posts this on twitter in celebration:

lol The Dragon Ball super movie has NBA approval

thats pretty great

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was legit a solid movie, I was not expecting that. Actually had some pathos and made Broly an actual character you care about. The animation was gorgeous and this was just a fun time. I kind of want to see it again. Frieza was great in this too.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped caring about comparing powers of characters from different arc in Dragon Ball. Like Goku barely managed to beat Jiren with ultra instinct and Jiren just swatted the blue form. Whereas here the blue form goes toe to toe for a while against an opponent that Goku claims to be stronger than Beerus and as such Jiren by extension. Dude didn't even use Ultra Instinct, infact even the blue form came out so late.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped caring about comparing powers of characters from different arc in Dragon Ball. Like Goku barely managed to beat Jiren with ultra instinct and Jiren just swatted the blue form. Whereas here the blue form goes toe to toe for a while against an opponent that Goku claims to be stronger than Beerus and as such Jiren by extension. Dude didn't even use Ultra Instinct, infact even the blue form came out so late.

Wasn't Jiren also stated to be stronger than Beerus or at least his universe's GoD?

I thought the implication was Broly somewhere between Beerus and Jiren.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Jiren also stated to be stronger than Beerus or at least his universe's GoD?

I thought the implication was Broly somewhere between Beerus and Jiren.
He was implied to be stronger than "a" GoD, which seems to be Vermoud since he would not have been exposed to other universe's GoD before the ToP. And it is also implied the Beerus is the most powerful GoD.

But here Goku says that he thinks Broly.may be stronger than even Beerus which is just a whole load of shit. Originally Toriyama said that he won't make anyone more powerful than Beerus, even Goku. But we know eventually that's going to not be the case someday.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Goku shouldn't have any idea how strong Beerus is so I'm not putting much thought into that line

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

They only said that Jiren's power was above a god of destruction's. They never really said only above "some" (although didn't say above "all" either). Whis says this during the tv special though, so it was a long time before Jiren even uses his full power.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They only said that Jiren's power was above a god of destruction's. They never really said only above "some" (although didn't say above "all" either). Whis says this during the tv special though, so it was a long time before Jiren even uses his full power.
I was under the impression they meant his universe's god of destruction. Idk, I don't remember it all that well.