• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I mean we've had like 2 lines from Goku and one of them was about the ToP, I think it's a bit early to say that they are going to ignore it. Them doing a story that takes place in their home universe isn't ignoring the multiverse, that's like saying the Androids arc ignored that the series had gone to space. Blue Evolved and Blue Kaioken seemingly not being in the movie are likely more down to them just following Toriyama's story closer as opposed to doing their own adaptation, as those two things are anime originals.
As for us not seeing the other characters yet, I'd wait to actually see how the movie goes before making claims like that.

All that being said I don't think Goku will go UI and for two reasons, the first being Whis saying that it would get harder and harder for Goku to go UI, which I think served the purpose of explaining why until Goku truly masters the form we won't be seeing it every time he's pushed to the limit, and two there's not really any room in the movie merch for UI Goku.
The fact that one of those lines was about the ToP makes me think "this thing happened, let's get it out of the way" haha. The multiverse was a big focus of Super after the movie retellings tho, and the Androids arc featured Goku and Freezer coming back from space. I feel like they'd mention the other characters already if they were going to do something that mattered.

Adding to your last point, Goku mentioning to Vegeta he can't turn into UI at the end of the series also makes it likely to me that it won't appear each arc from now on, including the movie. I'm ready to eat crow if anything happens anyway.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sorry if this is a dumb question but will the sub of the movie be showing in US theaters at all? Same date (Jan 16)? Details seems kinda vague..

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that one of those lines was about the ToP makes me think "this thing happened, let's get it out of the way" haha.

Honestly? I think them referring specifically to the ToP is a good sign that they'll somehow talk about UI. It's such a big improvement over prior transformations that it'd be dumb not to have Whis talk about it with Goku as well as Vegeta. Remember that Whis and Beerus actually have a motif to make both of them stronger. As we learned from RoF, Whis was actively trying to get them to the stage of UI.

Considering all of this and Goku's "I dunno how I did UI" at the end of Super, I think we'll have a couple of minutes where Whis is training with Goku and Vegeta to find out the actual triggers and possibilities to tap into UI whenever they can. Alas, it'll not work out the way Whis and the guys hope, leaving them lacking in power against Broly. Furthermore, I think that their fusion will eventually fail and Goku miraculously achieves the Full UI just like against Jiren - albeit only for a short period of time but just enough to beat Broly.

UI was so well received by the fans, it'd be a literal crime to not feature it at all in this movie.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Honestly? I think them referring specifically to the ToP is a good sign that they'll somehow talk about UI. It's such a big improvement over prior transformations that it'd be dumb not to have Whis talk about it with Goku as well as Vegeta. Remember that Whis and Beerus actually have a motif to make both of them stronger. As we learned from RoF, Whis was actively trying to get them to the stage of UI.

Considering all of this and Goku's "I dunno how I did UI" at the end of Super, I think we'll have a couple of minutes where Whis is training with Goku and Vegeta to find out the actual triggers and possibilities to tap into UI whenever they can. Alas, it'll not work out the way Whis and the guys hope, leaving them lacking in power against Broly. Furthermore, I think that their fusion will eventually fail and Goku miraculously achieves the Full UI just like against Jiren - albeit only for a short period of time but just enough to beat Broly.

UI was so well received by the fans, it'd be a literal crime to not feature it at all in this movie.
Hmmm interesting perspective.

Maybe we should all do a massive avatar bet regarding if UI is featured or not
400751131115913217.png

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly the next volume of Funimation's home release of Super isn't using Vegetto Blue on the cover, but instead Grotesque Zamasu.
IMG_20181015_233552.jpg

The fact that one of those lines was about the ToP makes me think "this thing happened, let's get it out of the way" haha. The multiverse was a big focus of Super after the movie retellings tho, and the Androids arc featured Goku and Freezer coming back from space. I feel like they'd mention the other characters already if they were going to do something that mattered.

Adding to your last point, Goku mentioning to Vegeta he can't turn into UI at the end of the series also makes it likely to me that it won't appear each arc from now on, including the movie. I'm ready to eat crow if anything happens anyway.
And outside of Freeza showing up at the very beginning and Cell mentioning he had some of Freeza's Cells none of the space stuff really mattered.
The previous story doesn't have to be totally connected to the next one, and you have to consider that this is a movie, so what they can do is limited and Toriyama wanted to tell a story about the U7 Saiyans as well as their history, so there's not really a super organic way to put other universes into the story.
I don't think the ToP will be super important to this plot, but that's not crazy uncommon for DB, you get some connecting threads and that's about it. 22nd Budokai into King Piccolo and Saiyans into Namek are really the big exceptions to this, and the new era of DB kinda has a back and forth on connected stories and unconnected stories. And really Freeza even being back alive is pretty much about as much connection to the previous story as the Androids arc was connected to Namek.
I don't think it's so much that the ToP will be ignored so much as this story just doesn't hinge on the events of that arc.

Keep in mind that this movie was written before the ToP even started in the anime, so they didn't know the reception of the form yet.
But I think some reference to it will be made, be it Whis or Beerus early on, or even Vegeta in a sarcastic way when both of them are being beaten down by Broly.
A comment about Kale is definitely more up in the air, who knows if they'll make a reference to her.

But seriously, I doubt UI Goku will be in the film, there's not any merch listings for it, just Gogeta.

Last edited:

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
And outside of Freeza showing up at the very beginning and Cell mentioning he had some of Freeza's Cells none of the space stuff really mattered.
The previous story doesn't have to be totally connected to the next one, and you have to consider that this is a movie, so what they can do is limited and Toriyama wanted to tell a story about the U7 Saiyans as well as their history, so there's not really a super organic way to put other universes into the story.
I don't think the ToP will be super important to this plot, but that's not crazy uncommon for DB, you get some connecting threads and that's about it. 22nd Budokai into King Piccolo and Saiyans into Namek are really the big exceptions to this, and the new era of DB kinda has a back and forth on connected stories and unconnected stories. And really Freeza even being back alive is pretty much about as much connection to the previous story as the Androids arc was connected to Namek.
I don't think it's so much that the ToP will be ignored so much as this story just doesn't hinge on the events of that arc.
Maybe ignoring was the wrong way to express it but I agree with you haha that's why I don't think UI will show up this time either

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ignoring was the wrong way to express it but I agree with you haha that's why I don't think UI will show up this time either
While narratively it makes sense for it to not show up (and would still work if it did show up) the biggest thing telegraphing it not showing up is the merch listings.
We know all of the scale figures for the movie, there are only two mystery figures, which are the same figure with two different paint jobs and they are listed as "New Hero", these figures are almost definitely Gogeta in two different forms, potentially base and Blue, or maybe even UI. However only one of these figures will release outside of Japan, so I figure one of them has to be a base form (the one staying in Japan).

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: Gohan being the one corrupted would have at least been more emotionally relevant for Trunks/his timeline.
Would it though? The entire reason Black exists is because Trunks went back in time to save Goku's life, so him using Goku's body seems pretty thematically and emotionally relevant.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So I have watched all of Dragon Ball, Z, GT, and Super.

Anything else I need to watch?

Honestly, don't get the hate for GT after watching it and looking at it for what it is.

Now Super is probably my biggest mixed bag due to quality of animation and the plot holes. Everyone seem to be useless.

Luckily, Universe Survival Arc fixed that. Actually that may be one of the best Arcs I watched.

Saiyan, Cell, and Freeza Saga are still top 3

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Gohan black probably would've been disappointing
so consistent with the real Gohan I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol god I love the Gt complex in here

Honestly, don't get the hate for GT after watching it and looking at it for what it is.

Now Super is probably my biggest mixed bag due to quality of animation and the plot holes. Everyone seem to be useless.

Luckily, Universe Survival Arc fixed that. Actually that may be one of the best Arcs I watched.

You good ppl

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017

I could see it. Don't know if it'll happen, but I can see it.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Ok to explain my GT comment, I liked super better. It was funnier and the characters were stronger. However, I kinda liked the idea of GT. So overall I haven't really disliked a DB series.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I think we will see one new form for a non Goku/Vegetable character in the next season or series.

Bets who get it:

Gohan
Piccolo
Goten or Trunks

And to retrace on what I liked about GT.

-Eveything about Super Saiyan 4
-I liked Goku, Pan, and Trunks
-Favorite Ending
-Good Animation

What I didn't like.
-Space trip was boring
-Villians were bad(especially the shadow dragons Oof)
-Gohan was shunned
-Krillin was basically in like 3 scenes
-Everything with Piccolo(did my dude wrong)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

What plot holes exactly? I can't think of anything big, the only thing that comes to mind is the use of Earth's Dragon Balls at the beginning of the Champ arc.

what the heck is going on with his chakra saber

the angle is completely off
He's pointing his hand up.
Looks weird though.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Read the og manga. It the best dragon Ball thing out there.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
More emotionally relevant?

Absolutely, given their history.

The entire reason Black exists is because Trunks went back in time to save Goku's life, so him using Goku's body seems pretty thematically and emotionally relevant.
No one said Goku Black wasn't thematically and emotionally relevant, it totally was.

"Why'd you choose Gohan instead of Goku or my dad?"

"Purely to further torment you Trunks and Son Goku, two of the greatest sinners in the history of you disgusting ningen."
364454882691776512.png

Gohan black probably would've been disappointing
You say this like Goku Black wasn't disappointing.

For me he was at his best in #47 and #56.

We should have got goten black
I'm all for getting Goten into the limelight more, this isn't the way to do it though.

This would have just made the enemy of the arc even more geared to Goku in Future Trunks' arc.

(Future) Gohan Black would have been the best of both worlds.

Not that it would have fixed the problems that arc has, would require a lot more than that.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
ArchedThunder
I'm talking about like the destruction of Planet Vegeta. I'm confused on that part. Also how are Trunks and Goten looking the same, they are like teens?
What about the destruction of Planet Vegeta?
Goten and Trunks not aging up is simply because they haven't bothered giving them new designs, but they aren't the first Saiyans to stay little into their teens.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
More emotionally relevant?

Absolutely, given their history.

No one said Goku Black wasn't thematically and emotionally relevant, it totally was.

364454882691776512.png

You say this like Goku Black wasn't disappointing.

For me he was at his best in #47 and #56.

I'm all for getting Goten into the limelight more, this isn't the way to do it though.

This would have just made the enemy of the arc even more geared to Goku in Future Trunks' arc.

(Future) Gohan Black would have been the best of both worlds.

Not that it would have fixed the problems that arc has, would require a lot more than that.

tony-stark-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.