• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Xenoverse has sold over 5 million copies worldwide, both physical & digital

DNi7cb6VQAAPVby.jpg

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 also sold over 3.3 million copies worldwide both physical & digital in a full year.

DNi7rtiUIAARVju.jpg

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/925695824213848066
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/925696086445928448

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow those are impressive numbers. I wouldn't have thought it had those kind of legs. Good for them though.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty healthy for a niche anime game isn't it?

I didn't buy the second one because it didn't look like they had added enough content. Hoping they can change my mind with a third though.

Oct 29, 2017
Dragon Ball Xenoverse has sold over 5 million copies worldwide, both physical & digital

DNi7cb6VQAAPVby.jpg

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 also sold over 3.3 million copies worldwide both physical & digital in a full year.

DNi7rtiUIAARVju.jpg

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/925695824213848066
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/925696086445928448
Feels like Dragonball turned a massive corner with the first Xenoverse.

Amazing really as they'd been putting out mediocre games and sales had been declining for years.

Good for them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball is eternal, it feels like the franchise is having it's renaissance.

My favourite game is Supersonic Warriors, really wish we got that in 3D and high budget.

BoTalksGames

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Awesome to hear, love this series. Not that interested in FighterZ quite frankly as it seems like a more traditional fighter whereas I like Xenoverse for the MMO aspects more than anything, but with sales like that a third game should honestly already be in development.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
How do people think dbzf will do?
From what i hear its a lot less accessible
Eh, not as well as people think. Dragonball may be a hot IP, but tag-based 2D fighting games are definitely not a hot genre at the moment. Marvel Infinite, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Skullgirls. None of these lit the charts on fire. Why should this one? I mean Marvel is a much bigger IP than Dragonball on a whole, even if Dragonball is pretty big. But will people want FighterZ in spite of it being a 2D fighting game? I'm not sure.

And yes, "in spite of", not "because of".

Oct 27, 2017
How do people think dbzf will do?
From what i hear its a lot less accessible

It won't sell Xenoverse numbers. Xenoverse has MMO elements, character creation, a shitton of characters, and accessibility going for it. The only things Fighterz has going for it in terms of mass market appeal are the crazy accurate graphics. It'll do way better with critics and the fighting game community and still sell millions for sure, but a 2D fighter with that small a roster isn't going to attract the casual base the way Xenoverse has.

Silver9

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't play the second one, but first one was fun. Good to see they are doing well.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Less than Xenoverse 1 but more than Xenoverse 2 is my guess.
I'm expecting lower than both. Probably 2-2.5 million range. A competitive fighting game with a smaller roster has much less appeal than games where you create your own character in the DB universe and play as almost anyone. iirc XV2 is even above Tenkaichi 3 numbers.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I'm expecting lower than both. Probably 2-2.5 million range. A competitive fighting game with a smaller roster has much less appeal than games where you create your own character in the DB universe and play as almost anyone. iirc XV2 is even above Tenkaichi 3 numbers.
Damn you are right, Tenkaichi 3 sold 4 million only. I guess it will probably sell around 2-2.5 mil then. Although to be fair Tenkaichi 3 didn't release on XBOX.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I own XV2 Switch version and that game is pretty fun in short bursts. I'm all in for another sequel, they almost nailed the RPG part of it... if only it had more variety...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn you are right, Tenkaichi 3 sold 4 million only. I guess it will probably sell around 2-2.5 mil then. Although to be fair Tenkaichi 3 didn't release on XBOX.
The XBOX wasn't really a power house in the sales department, especially for anime games. PS2 + Wii being some of the best selling consoles of all time also makes up for it tenfold. And FighterZ is supposedly releasing on just two consoles as well (with Switch at a later date maybe?).

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a fun game for casuals to play together. Doesn't need to be a fighter, it's an MMO at it's core.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I hated both games! The grinding and MMO style just didn't grabed me and the combat was so-so (no enviromental destruction, almost zero transformations) but i have my hopes up for Figher Z

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
It did release on Wii though, right?
Yeah, still 1 less console than Fighterz though.
The XBOX wasn't really a power house in the sales department, especially for anime games. PS2 + Wii being some of the best selling consoles of all time also makes up for it tenfold. And FighterZ is supposedly releasing on just two consoles as well (with Switch at a later date maybe?).
PC as well, although I'm not sure how well it will do on PC, probably much less than the consoles.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's crazy to me. Didn't expect they did so well.
I wonder if the new fighting game by ArcSys can manage even close to that.
Would be outstanding if they did.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoverse 2 will keep selling. Might reach Xenoverse 1 LTD. They're also making much more revenue on this one with all the DLCs.
Fighter Z would be lucky to even reach half that. It doesn't appeal to the same fanbase.

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see this level of sales, I owned both and enjoyed both immensely.
I have a feeling FighterZ will sell pretty damn well considering.

Hopefully we'll see Xenoverse 3 someday with these kinds of numbers.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Impressive. Hope that means they can make DBX3.

Its 100 % coming. A Xenoverse sequel is all but guaranteed. You probably won't see it until later 2018 early to mid 2019 at the earliest though. I'm pretty convinced they'll do 2 or 3 more DLC packs for XV2. Apparently the additional DLC past the Season Pass has to be selling well enough for them to even consider doing that. Xenoverse's biggest issue right now is they've essentially burned through 99% of the content of the franchise. All they can do is add DB era stuff, pluck stuff from the remaining few DBZ movies, and whatever new material DB Super crates. I don't think they can get away with having yet even more missions from DBZ since they've already done DBZ...twice even. They need to make a lot more original content and make that the overwhelming majority of the game experience.

I could be totally wrong in my assumption, but I feel XV2 was done on the cheap compared to XV1. Most of the money was spent creating the engine and frame work in XV1 and they just threw stuff on top of it and added some QoL features and more polish to existing stuff in XV2. That sales number might be lower than XV1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it made BN just as much if not more so money for them in the long run. I feel like thats why they didn't add any of the new races people were asking for and just created a few more customizations for the existing races. Adding a new race or means they have to have a large new set of exclusive combat animations and traits specific to them and that requires quite a bit of development time and resources.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I could be totally wrong in my assumption, but I feel XV2 was done on the cheap compared to XV1. Most of the money was spent creating the engine and frame work in XV1 and they just threw stuff on top of it and added some QoL features and more polish to existing stuff in XV2. That sales number might be lower than XV1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it made BN just as much if not more so money for them in the long run. I feel like thats why they didn't add any of the new races people were asking for and just created a few more customizations for the existing races. Adding a new race or means they have to have a large new set of exclusive combat animations and traits specific to them and that requires quite a bit of development time and resources.
I agree 100%. I was disappointed that it felt like a big expansion to XV1 or a VX1.5 sorta thing. A lot of stuff seemed almost exactly the same. Assuming XV3 is coming I'm definitely hoping for some bigger changes/additions.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
It's doing so well that they're even going to do yet another DLC pack for February 2018. So not only does XV2 have a DLC Pack 5 but it will also get a DLC Pack 6. I think that's really unheard of for anime games. They really want to capitalize on the install base and, well, the DLC clearly must have been doing really well for them to even greenlight a Pack 6.