• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQX-Offline-Date-Japan_06-21-22-768x432.jpg

www.gematsu.com

Dragon Quest X Offline launches September 15 in Japan

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Offline will launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on September 15 in Japan, publisher Square Enix and developer B.B. Studio anno…

still no western date, of course

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Seems likely they'll wait for the whole thing to release and bring the localization as a single package.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's definitely getting a western release.

They wouldn't make a whole offline version to not translate it.

…right?

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
My hope is that somehow Nintendo will do something in the same way they helped in publishing DQVII and VIII on 3ds in the west.
I'd gladly pay for it and its expansion, especially if each expansion is as meaty as a full on game (like the online expansion of DQX are, as far as I know)

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

…right?

They made sure during the broadcast to mention this was a Japan-only game. This game was omitted from all of the international press releases from the 35th anniversary when this was announced.

Unless Nintendo is personally publishing this, this is an empty hole. Also, this game doesn't cover the whole story of DQX. The hole will always remain. :(

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
If yall really wanna play it I'd just look into Akhmon and Clarity. This game in particular is hopeless with regard to a western release.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
I didn't know DQX was still getting expansions. Does the Offline include only the base game or all the expansions previously released?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if the switch version doesn't come to west unless Nintendo foots the localization bill, but maybe after 11, Square would have enough sense to do it themselves

Releasing on Steam is nice

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
What's the Japanese reception to X even like? Is it considered a strong entry in the series? For how big DQ is, all I really know about X is it's an MMO and never coming west.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
the online game has a fan translation right now
This is generous. It's automated translation that is incredibly iffy (still playable if you're willing to Google here and there) but they're working on going back and manually doing it.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
This is generous. It's automated translation that is incredibly iffy (still playable if you're willing to Google here and there) but they're working on going back and manually doing it.
true lol, but its still nice to play the game in english even if allot of lines get very awkward, and clarity has been getting better and better the last few months

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
true lol, but its still nice to play the game in english even if allot of lines get very awkward, and clarity has been getting better and better the last few months
Yeah, I really commend what they've done so far. It's awesome. The community is very helpful, too.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Theres a reason they didnt announce this for the west but confirmed it for every other project.

I hope people dont expect this coming west.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They made sure during the broadcast to mention this was a Japan-only game. This game was omitted from all of the international press releases from the 35th anniversary when this was announced.

Unless Nintendo is personally publishing this, this is an empty hole. Also, this game doesn't cover the whole story of DQX. The hole will always remain. :(

They only said it was Japan only for DQX Online. Offline didn't have the same wording.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Really effed up that even now, that the game is offline, SE still won't give it to the rest of the world. We have the rest of the damn series and I've wanted to play this for years.

I really hope they defy all expectations and announce a western release but I'm not holding my breath :-

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Not knowing much about DQ 10 but when you cut out the online stuff was there a good story/single player game there?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Seems likely they'll wait for the whole thing to release and bring the localization as a single package.
They definitely won't do that. There's like 6 full games in there, if it was ever localized it'd be the same structure as Japan with Version 1 as the base and Versions 2 to 6+ as (likely full price) DLC. Or worse they'd just Shining Force III it and give us V1 and stop there.

Steam release, huh. Yeah, I reckon Western release is happening.
It's geolocked. Not a good sign...

My hope is that somehow Nintendo will do something in the same way they helped in publishing DQVII and VIII on 3ds in the west.
I'd gladly pay for it and its expansion, especially if each expansion is as meaty as a full on game (like the online expansion of DQX are, as far as I know)
Honestly, Nintendo's probably our only shot but I wouldn't put too much hope in that either. This remake looks worse than the original in some ways, I think a global minded remake would've ended up a lot different.

The best chance for DQX was probably when they were looking into localizing the online version back on PC and Wii U. That probably could've done well enough to keep going, and then later PS4 and Switch would've helped expand things.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
dr-who-sad.gif

Waiting for that English localization announcement. Anytime soon, right? Right? Right...? :(

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Really effed up that even now, that the game is offline, SE still won't give it to the rest of the world. We have the rest of the damn series and I've wanted to play this for years.

I really hope they defy all expectations and announce a western release but I'm not holding my breath :-

It's a ton of stuff to localize between the base game and all the expansions they'll be releasing as DLC. Presuming it does well enough in Japan to release more than the first expansion. So probably just waiting until they have everything lined up rather than announce a far off localization.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love DQ but there's no way a western release of DQX would be a profitable venture for S-E.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think this will be localized, but they may wait for more expansions to release. So... It may be a while.

I wonder what they're planning for the release cadence for the expansions in Japan. Iirc, there's 5 currently. Two per year would be nice.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's a ton of stuff to localize between the base game and all the expansions they'll be releasing as DLC. Presuming it does well enough in Japan to release more than the first expansion. So probably just waiting until they have everything lined up rather than announce a far off localization.

I really hope so lol.
DQ is one of my favorite series ever, so missing this 1 game just kills me, and it's been years that I've had to think, wait, hope, give up, hope again etc - it would be my most anticipated release in a long ass time if it gets announced for the west. And I don't even know if the game is any good - but I must play it! 😵

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best stories in the series.

Though that's primarily in the expansions. The base game is not bad storywise, but it is much more straightforward.

Oooh good to know. I've played all the mainline games and like 4,5, and 8 the best. Though all of them are really comfy and nostalgic. So hearing 10 and its expansions are good has me hoping it gets translated eventually!

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Honestly, Nintendo's probably our only shot but I wouldn't put too much hope in that either. This remake looks worse than the original in some ways, I think a global minded remake would've ended up a lot different.
I have no idea why they went out of their way and trying to reproduce the same game in a chibi artstyle when they already had all the models ready from the online version; as far as I know, the game ran on a 3ds through cloud and on a Wii, so definitely it's not for a technical reason.
Nowadays we have all kind of artstyle, this game pales in comparison to either DQXI (obviously) and the upcoming 2D-HD remake of DQIII, from a marketing pov it definitely doesn't look promising and we already talking about DQ which is not a million seller in the west (and Square is known for having unrealistic expectations about their games, so there's that also).
That being said, I still want it, I doubt the cost of localization is that high and the game would still benefit from the notoriety DQXI got anyway

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
At this point im not suprised, SE is bad at maintaining brands that arent FF or Kingdom Hearts.
Yep, it's passed on to fans as well so you get stuff like this

SE even posted an article about their best healers and it's 90% Final Fantasy with DQXI's Serena as a "Buy DQXI!" afterthought.

www.square-enix-games.com

7 of the best white mages and healers in Square Enix games | Square Enix Blog

We celebrate some of the greatest White Mages and healers in Square Enix history, from FINAL FANTASY, the DRAGON QUEST series and more!

It's crazy that Enix bought Square but I think from the West's perspective Square bought Enix.

…right?
Well the people working on the Dai manga releases says Square Enix has a Master translation document listing all the characters, items, spells, monsters, etc and how they should be translated. We've actually gotten a bunch of official DQX stuff in Tact (mobile strategy game) so I think a lot of the basic translations are done and ready to go in the document. I think it's either they want Nintendo to flip the bill or maybe they're waiting for more DQX content to come along first. It's a really scummy move anyhow. We've had producers tease it before with the carrot on the string and now they've yanked it away.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this will be localized, but they may wait for more expansions to release. So... It may be a while.

I wonder what they're planning for the release cadence for the expansions in Japan. Iirc, there's 5 currently. Two per year would be nice.
I don't think all of the online expansions are planned right now. I think the offline expansion is just the first online expansion