Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mobile doesn't use the SNES sprites so I was mistaken there (they're at least edited from SNES?), but the Switch sprites are new.

2cEdqKe.png
s7BV3pp.png
tSKEzo5.png

Switch / Mobile / SNES

That looks hideous.

It would have been an instant purchase for me if they'd just ported the SNES versions and inserted a translation like they did with the excellent Trials of Mana release.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow. I am generally opposed to the elitist, hyperbolic rhetoric that often comes with "don't play this re-released version of [retro game]" -- like, I've played tons of retro re-releases that have sprite scaling or input lag that elitists say make the game "unplayable" while I find these issues closer to, uh, pretty much imperceptible.

I thought that was going to be the case here, but I really do find the re-made assets extremely off-putting. Those hand-drawn, clip-art assed sprites in particularly are ugly as sin, ya'll -- enough to make me not want to play these, as someone who values good art direction. Is there no option to use the original sprites?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah I see

I was planning on playing the GBC version of DQIII, so I might just stick with that plan

FWIW, the mobile versions ARE really good. I just played through them all recently. There are just some graphical quirks. On mobile, the first two have sprite scaling issues: the map tiles have been shrunk or enlarged in a way that doesn't exactly ruin them, but kinda jacks them up. You get used to it pretty quickly, and the character sprites, text and everything else are fine. And DQ3 mobile doesn't have this issue at all, it looks great.

Unfortunately, for this switch version, they seem to have replaced a lot of sprites with some horrible shit traced over the originals.

And on III, the GBC version is great, so I kinda say go ahead.

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
Looked a little less ugly when I viewed the screenshots via the eshop on my switch in portable mode, so I guess it has that going for it...

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, looks like SE fucking up yet again. Are there no definitive versions of these three games (in English)?
Mobile, SNES and GBC are all fantastic options for III at the very least. With III, I'd probably recommend the mobile version for the superior translation, but all versions have their benefits (SNES and GBC have animated fight portraits, etc).

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think its the end of the world, they chose to effectively use the Toriyama key art for the sprites instead of the original 16 but versions. It does look weird at first but it honestly isn't a deal breaker so many make it out to be.

Some are actively saying people shouldn't buy these and that to me is absurd.

Fine to say you prefer original sprite work and want options and can say why. I can honestly get on board with the idea that the artwork is jarring, if only because it doesn't seem to jibe well, like why not go further and redo more of the game then? Do a full on remake...

But I would never te people not to buy them, especially for those who don't want to deal with emulation and what have you.

This is an inexpensive, legal way to get these games on you Switch and its not like they are broken. You will honestly get to experience the games and probably have fun.

Except for the end of 2, thats an honest to god shitshow.
I'm an unabashed DQ fan so I'll buy these regardless but damn, wish they didn't fuck up the art this bad.

And I already played these back on the new and GBA. There was something so charming about those. This just looks bad.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Mobile, SNES and GBC are all fantastic options for III at the very least. With III, I'd probably recommend the mobile version for the superior translation, but all versions have their benefits (SNES and GBC have animated fight portraits, etc).
Is the translation kinda the same as XI, with names, locations... changed. Are spells also named Oomph, frizz and so on ?
Same in each of the 3 or they have different types of localisation ?

Oct 25, 2017
Is the translation kinda the same as XI, with names, locations... changed. Are spells also named Oomph, frizz and so on ?
Same in each of the 3 or they have different types of localisation ?
The mobile/switch translation of 3 is the same as XI, following the series terminology after DQ8.

I can't properly compare location names, as I've only played DQ3 for a little bit on both iOS, GBC and SNES. The mobile localization is fantastic though. It flows a lot better than the other two versions.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
These are genuinely the most hideous ports of 2D games I've ever seen. And I'm including the FF mobile ports in that equation.

The character sprites seem to be more detailed and higher resolution while the SNES-era overworld tiles have seemingly been stretched by a non integer scale with the barest amount of smearing to make up for it.

VYYPLmb.jpg

The battle screens seem the least terrible but they still look remarkably cheap.

3XBwwiG.png

Ouch.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The mobile/switch translation of 3 is the same as XI, following the series terminology after DQ8.

I can't properly compare location names, as I've only played DQ3 for a little bit on both iOS, GBC and SNES. The mobile localization is fantastic though. It flows a lot better than the other two versions.
Thanks.
The gameboy versions don't have the right names, mobile is all good
Depends what you call "right".
I was asking because I actually dislike the localisation of XI as it gets as far as it can get from the original.

Since its the same I probably have to pass on the nice physical version. Sad. Again, no Japanese text available which really makes it harder. I wish japanese was always available in games so I can have a sure option.

Thanks for the answer anyway.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
stop mixing pixel art with clean, smooth graphics! text doesnt get a pass either
i hate this trend so so so so much

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mobile doesn't use the SNES sprites so I was mistaken there (they're at least edited from SNES?), but the Switch sprites are new.

2cEdqKe.png
s7BV3pp.png
tSKEzo5.png

Switch / Mobile / SNES

Ah fuck me.

Guess I'm going with the mobile version. That would look horrible blown up on the Switch screen.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I did some looking into the GBC port of DQ3 and it seems very neat. As someone who enjoys the 8 bit style, what are the most compelling reasons to play the mobile version? Is there anything in the GBC version that will completely turn off a newbie?

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
The game boy versions are superior for sure. The sprite art is phenomenal and the games retain their difficulty.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
why do you like the boring fake names more 😵
I really hope you are joking but it doesn't seem so.

How do you call the characters of the Lord of the Ring ? Are you using their "boring fake names" ?

Oh well, I wasn't expecting anyone to want what I want, just asking a simple question. Thanks anyway.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope you are joking but it doesn't seem so.

How do you call the characters of the Lord of the Ring ? Are you using their "boring fake names" ?

Oh well, I wasn't expecting anyone to want what I want, just asking a simple question. Thanks anyway.
The names for attacks that are silly sound effects are a more accurate translation to the original. Dragon Quest also isn't The Lord of the Rings and the sillier attack names are basically part of its DNA as a goofy kiddy RPG series.

like what if the version you read changed the wizards name to Greg Dolph lol

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
The names for attacks that are silly sound effects are a more accurate translation to the original. Dragon Quest also isn't The Lord of the Rings and the sillier attack names are basically part of its DNA as a goofy kiddy RPG series.

like what if the version you read changed the wizards name to Greg Dolph lol
I thought we were talking about characters.

I'm playing XI right now. Doesn't feel kiddy but, if you want.

Also I'm not english so the magics means nothing beside what my knowledge of english is which is "cool, english onomatopeia as magics".
I don't see how it's superior. I understand japanese and even if I didn't I'd still prefer to not have english ones as it doesn't make me laugh at all. My humor is not really into "boom", "Splash" and so on.

But I don't understand why I have to say that honestly.

Anyway I'm loving XIS demo for now. 8.5 hours in and still only 2 characters. Length is crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Talk about some monkey's paw shit. I was so pumped that these were coming to Switch. The mobile versions weren't the best choices, but they weren't bad either. Then I see the images on the eshop and sweet Jesus, what have they done. They mobilized the games in their transition away from mobile. It doesn't make any damn sense. Anyone saying that these "look fine" seriously needs to get their eyes check. It's potato Jesus all over again. What a total disappointment.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Wow, the graphical "upgrade" is a FFV level travesty. I was really looking forward to these too, but I can't bring myself to play with those graphics. I just can't.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would have preferred a Collection with (ideally) the NES, GBC and SNES versions as well, but at least to me the screenshots don't look that bad on the Switch itself. At least not as bad as on my laptop and not bad enough to buy the mobile versions instead.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2cEdqKe.png
s7BV3pp.png
tSKEzo5.png

Switch / Mobile / SNES

Jesus christ this looks horrendous. When will SE give a shit when it comes to these ports because almost all of them are fucked up in some way.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that kills me is it actually takes extra effort to fuck these up this bad. Just porting the mobile versions would've been fine.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
should have just packaged the SNES versions like the Mana collection

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
they're just completely random. they do the super nice collection of mana, and even localize a whole SNES RPG for the first time in the west, and then go on and do something like this.

It's honestly baffling. Collection of Mana might be the best and most respectful release of classic games I've seen on the Switch so far (except maybe SEGA Ages Phantasy Star, which was also M2 btw), and then they throw a hastily modified mobile port up for these three games. Like, if it actually looked like the mobile ports (a consistent resolution and art style) then I wouldn't mind it, but as many have pointed out, not even the character sprites have consistent resolutions when they're standing side by side.

Really, what we should be taking away from this is that every company should be throwing piles of money at M2 to make modern releases for classic games.

I did some looking into the GBC port of DQ3 and it seems very neat. As someone who enjoys the 8 bit style, what are the most compelling reasons to play the mobile version? Is there anything in the GBC version that will completely turn off a newbie?

I've played about 20% through the GBC version of Dragon Warrior 3, and the translation leaves a bit to be desired (but they can only fit so much English text on screen, so it's understandable). In addition, as with all Gameboy RPGs, the menuing can be incredibly cramped and annoying. If those two things don't turn you off, then I say go for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly baffling. Collection of Mana might be the best and most respectful release of classic games I've seen on the Switch so far (except maybe SEGA Ages Phantasy Star, which was also M2 btw), and then they throw a hastily modified mobile port up for these three games. Like, if it actually looked like the mobile ports (a consistent resolution and art style) then I wouldn't mind it, but as many have pointed out, not even the character sprites have consistent resolutions when they're standing side by side.

Really, what we should be taking away from this is that every company should be throwing piles of money at M2 to make modern releases for classic games.

The reception to mobile 1&2 was extremely negative. Not as much as this thread, but that version was mostly hated at first glance.

3 is the one I understand the disappointment in, because it didn't suffer from the problems of 1&2 in its mobile port. But 1&2 was a visual mess, probably less so than this new version.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Got all of these on NES, mobile, GB/GBC, and SFC (I like Dragon Quest). The only one I'm missing is 4 for NES, but I've got that and the others for DS.

With the appearance being what it is, I don't think I'll buy these.

Does that include the last section of Dragon Quest II? Because fuck that last section of Dragon Quest II, lol.

Fam just get a guide for the cave to Rhone and Rhone proper, grind, grind some more, still die, and eventually you'll end up dying again.

Fucking Rhone.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Do you guys think there's a chance of them fixing the graphics if we complain loud enough? It kinda worked for Chrono Trigger, so might as well try.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I also don't want to support shoddy ports like this even if I'm very interested in those games.