• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god my copy is being shipped from Amazon via UPS

So it is like a 50/50 chance of getting it tomorrow.

I'm getting 1-3 anyway so I can just play 1 tomorrow but man it is going to be disappointing for XI S to not arrive.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
I don't think it's even been a year since I played the vanilla version.
I never finished the third act though.

I want a good idea of just how substantial the new content is.
According to reviews, there is even another party member!

Dare I run though the game again?
I wouldn't get too overly hyped by
The new character,
If its the one from the 3ds game, then its you unlock one of those cute time ghosts as a party member after beating all the superbosses
edit: just saw the other stuff, if its early enough for people to find it then it might be a completely new character

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. I was assuming 2d had both the orchestrated soundtrack and VA. If it doesnt then I'll pass. Im in the same boat as you, played it on PC on 4K I have no desire to play the switch version im 3d.
I am leaning towards not buying the game now, the 2D mode is very disappointing. No voice acting, the monsters have 0 animations during combat and you don't see the party members just text. Plus, you can't switch between 2d and 3d on the fly, you have to restart a chapter and the chapter cut off points aren't even clear. I would have enjoyed something more akin to the combat in DQ6 DS with simpler backgrounds. At the very least include voice acting and at least a limited form of animation for the monsters....

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I am leaning towards not buying the game now, the 2D mode is very disappointing. No voice acting, the monsters have 0 animations during combat and you don't see the party members just text. Plus, you can't switch between 2d and 3d on the fly, you have to restart a chapter and the chapter cut off points aren't even clear. I would have enjoyed something more akin to the combat in DQ6 DS with simpler backgrounds. At the very least include voice acting and at least a limited form of animation for the monsters....

I agree with you on the monsters but you've never been able to see party members in a 2d DQ game. I'm treating 2d mode as a curio for subsequent playthroughs, I'm not really interested in playing through like that for the first time.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I wouldn't get too overly hyped by
The new character,
If its the one from the 3ds game, then its you unlock one of those cute time ghosts as a party member after beating all the superbosses
From what I recall,

they were never a proper party member. More like a summon.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I played through way back when the 3DS version first came out and loved it, but wow. I haven't watched trailers for this or anything, booted the game up and it's absolutely stunning. Best looking game I've played on Switch so far and the music is fantastic as well.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered my copy, I'm so excited for this!!!! Gonna play in 2D mode for a good while starting out

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a month has passed & im excited to see credits roll in this game! Then to download DQ 1 ~ 3 is a huge plus! DQ holiday incoming!

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
My preorder says it will arrive until Oct. 7-11... Some times international shipping are awful...

At least it gives me time to complete Astral Chain and Celeste: Farewell in time (and start a bit of Link's Awakening)...

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
IMG-20190926-173610.jpg

First time Amazon has ever come through early and I'm not done with Link's Awakening yet!

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just picked up from the demo. You don't need to have finished the demo, you can just load any of the demo save files and continue on from wherever you were.

I gave 2D mode a go but I'm not impressed. The lack of battle animations aside from some of your attacks makes it all fairly lifeless. But the worst thing is you need to restart the chapter you're up to to play 2D.

For example, after loading my save file I went to the Hotto Campsite save point (the final one in the demo) and switched it to 2D mode. It required that I restart the whole thing from when I first entered the door of departure. That's a fair way back from where I was. Why can't it just switch over from the campsite I'm at?
I won't be using 2D by the looks of it.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Happy that theres also Japanese Voice Overs, Cant really play with the English ones because i just get confused between whats said in English, and whats completely different written in German. :D

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you enter the Tickington 16bit quests ("revisiting" former Dragon Quest Games) in the 3D Version?

Apr 24, 2018
Envious of those playing DQ11 for the first time...enjoy it everyone. Also just wanted to mention how perfect I think the OT title is.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to wait a while since it feels a bit too soon after playing the PS4 version, but man, all the updates/changes/additions have me ready to pull the trigger now...

krg

Oct 27, 2017
hmm do you set combat to automatic or do you choose what to do and when to do it?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Strange...I loaded up Full game...no save file transfer thing.

Load up demo...my save and the cloud no longer there...

Guess I gotta start over...

Gles

Aug 4, 2019
So sad, my copy is going to arrive Oct 1. Thanks Amazon..
I'll just play Cosmic Star Heroine in the meantime.

Oct 27, 2017
My first Dragon Quest game. I was enthralled with the demo and immediately bought it. Im looking forward to see why people are passionate about the series. (as a DB fan ,i really like the not-dragon ball designs of the characters, i named my hero Trunks cuz of it)

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Was bummed about the midnight unlock for games, meaning I would have to wait until Saturday to play. Thank God the thread reminded me about the demo save continuing to the main game. Now, I'm redownloading the demo since I deleted it after trying it out.

Also, not sure if it's the day one update but you can now download an update for the main game so you don't have to download it once it unlocks.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So as a first timer in the whole series, some members recommended me to play the "Draconian" difficulty (harder monsters). I saw that there are more options, like if the protagonist dies the whole party losses. Which would be the ideal rules for a challenging yet fun experience for a first timer?

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
So as a first timer in the whole series, some members recommended me to play the "Draconian" difficulty (harder monsters). I saw that there are more options, like if the protagonist dies the whole party losses. Which would be the ideal rules for a challenging yet fun experience for a first timer?
Normal