• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm way over leveled and really regret not turning on harder enemies.
I knew something was up when Sylvando was 4 levels below everyone else and it became a real problem when Jade and Rab were 6 levels below everyone else.
I killed Tentacular in like 5 turns with no issue at all.

This is the best looking game on Switch imo. It doesn't look anything close to "blurry" so I don't know why people say that. Worst looking aspect is the faces lose detail and look kind of grainy when they're not completely in focus, like during party chat or when you're running around towns

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird because it seems to differ from one game world to another. Getting through dungeon from VII is fine, but the one from IV is torture.

I kind of feel bad that I unlocked Holy Protection in 11's skill tree when it only has purpose for those quests.
Use Holy Water or Holy Protection.
I feel so stupid now, I completely forgot I had Holy Protection.

But that encounter rate was worse than the games I played on my phone, every other step was a new monster, omg.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so stupid now, I completely forgot I had Holy Protection.

But that encounter rate was worse than the games I played on my phone, every other step was a new monster, omg.

There are a few places in Tickington like that but it's not actually that common. The worst is the first one, which has you looking for the Lyre of Ire (I think it's called) and that item is supposed to bring monsters coming basically instantly when used, so the idea is you're supposed to have an encounter every step or two.

Most other places aren't as bad, though some are kinda close.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just finished Act 2, 64 hours in. The last boss was kind of a breeze, with all of my characters in the early 50s.

Seeing how I'm a bit pressed of time, with Luigi's Mansion coming out soon, I have some questions about how to most efficiently go through Act 3:

1. Where's the best place to grind? Should I do that right at the beginning of Act 3, should I advance the story a bit until after the *big thing* before grinding? Basically, how do I get to level ~80 or further the fastest?

2. If I were to advance the story up to the last step before the very last boss, would I still at that point be able to backtrack my way to anywhere and do anything I might have missed, or is there any point/points of no return regarding story content I should be aware of? I'm thinking of doing just that so the last boss is always an option if I tire of doing side stuff and can just decide to finish the game.

I'm mostly interested in doing story content and named quests, maybe the tockle stuff too. Any tips to make my experience easier are greatly appreciated :P

And despite my rush to finish, man, this game was/is really something special. My first DQ game (technically I played VIII for a few hours, but didn't stick with it) and what an introduction to the franchise. Might be my GOTY so far.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I just read a destructoid review where the writer said he experienced crashing after long play sessions.

Has this happened to anyone else? And how long is a long play sesh?

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Act 3 revelations and impressions so far

Bwahaha.
I mentioned earlier that Dragon Quest 11 was so forgiving we would eventually forgive Mordegan as a joke.

So when the party heads to the Emerald Coast, and a helpful voice behind the heroes tells them what to do, they turn around and see Mordegan. And I was like oh crap it's really happening!?

... and it turns out its the seer doing a shapeshiftand I had a jolly laugh.

... But then! Later there are more revelations that the seer was actually Morcant! Who was also Mordegan! It was a twisted path to get there but the prophecy was true!

For real though, the tie in with the original Luminary and the fate of his buddies is probably the most interesting element. Having fast forwarded moments of the main plot just feels like inferior versions of those events. Not to mention that I don't feel like these are the characters that I went on an adventure with even though they're going through the same things and their character banter and power levels are the same. It's just not the same!
I just read a destructoid review where the writer said he experienced crashing after long play sessions.

I've had a couple but I basically playing all day. At least the auto save is generous.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit.

Google searched weapon types to see what if there are any bladed weapons for the Luminary that look like an axe and spoiled myself on..

Hendrik being a party member.

That would have been a cool surprise. >_<

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The crashing problem was with an earlier revision iirc. They fixed it before the full game came out, maybe the reviewer didn't update or is that version on the cart?

There are a few places in Tickington like that but it's not actually that common. The worst is the first one, which has you looking for the Lyre of Ire (I think it's called) and that item is supposed to bring monsters coming basically instantly when used, so the idea is you're supposed to have an encounter every step or two.

Most other places aren't as bad, though some are kinda close.

I actually think that first chapter you get to play is a bad first impression. The encounter rate is ridiculous and makes people think all of Tickington is like that. You don't even fight on some chapters lol.

The one with the colored bombrocks was nuts though. Those weren't even random. Also it was by far the hardest thing I've experienced in this game and the first time I had a party member die, only other time was Hero getting whacked by an enemy

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Oh, you beat it? Congrats!
Not yet, just mentioning my stats for the crash bug thing

I have a few more things to wrap up and then I'll be done
Gonna farm some medals (~20) to get Erdwin's Shield and go get that ice monster to finish up new Cobblestone, which will give me all the Tickington quests. I don't plan on doing them right now, but I want to have them available.

And then I'll go defeat Calasmos. My characters are in the low 70s, so I think I'll probably be okay with the fight

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not yet, just mentioning my stats for the crash bug thing

I have a few more things to wrap up and then I'll be done
Gonna farm some medals (~20) to get Erdwin's Shield and go get that ice monster to finish up new Cobblestone, which will give me all the Tickington quests. I don't plan on doing them right now, but I want to have them available.

And then I'll go defeat Calasmos. My characters are in the low 70s, so I think I'll probably be okay with the fight

I just got that Ice Monster to finish up New Cobblestone. Be sure to finish the fight with one of The Luminary's lightning spells.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Current playtime

67 Hours (a little less than 6 of those hours were from the demo.)

Act III.

I've basically collected all of the Tickington passwords, but haven't done them all yet.

My characters levels are around the early 70s.

I have one more trial to beat.

I think I may have had one crash.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I had 2 crashes while playing. Put about 100 hours into it. One crash happened when I tried to use the forge while on a mount and I got paranoid and never tried to do that again lol. I don't remember the context for the second one. I do think both happened after longer play sessions, but I don't remember for sure.

The game is pretty generous with auto-saves.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat Act 3. Whew what an ending.

Anyway I've had a couple of crashes in my 100 hours but nothing major was lost, the autosaves are definitely quite generous.

Nice, what were the third and final round enemies?

The third round was a group of the tornado guys, a group of umbrellas and one of the coral monsters. All super powered of course. The key there was to stock up on wind resistance, made that fight a breeze (pun intended).

The final round was-

Grandmaster Pang herself. Basically a heavily souped up version of the fight from Act 2, but still fairly easy at level 95.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had a single crash in the final product, with plenty of long sessions. Only one in the demo before patch.
Not a single crash with long play sessions, though I am playing 80% handheld 20% tv
Typically limited until the battery warns at 15% after a couple of hours at a time as figure thats probably a good point to have a break anyway... especially as I live with my other half so sharing time with them is important too If i want a happy life :p

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Had around 3 Crashes in the game so far, all after long play sessions. Was about 7-8hrs or so. Thank god for autosaves so i didnt lose much progress on crashes

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It takes 10 min to connect my internet through my switch and I don't wanna go through the hassle. Can anyone confirm if there is any updates to the game recently?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It takes 10 min to connect my internet through my switch and I don't wanna go through the hassle. Can anyone confirm if there is any updates to the game recently?
If you have the version 1.0.1 patch thats the most current one. Dont think there was an update afterwards.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
quick question about a party member

was Hendrick playable in the launch version of the game or is he a new addition to the party?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else feel completely detached from the party and everything that is happening in this act? I just feel like these aren't my people anymore. I belong in the other timeline. So many adventures undone.

Game is still fun. I just feel like a bit of a tourist here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Working my way through post-post-game content:

The End of Time is actually The Friend of Time. Holy crap do I love DQ's absurd adorableness sometimes

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Anyone else feel completely detached from the party and everything that is happening in this act? I just feel like these aren't my people anymore. I belong in the other timeline. So many adventures undone.

Yep, I keep wondering what my real party is doing in the Act 2 timeline. This crew just feel like imposters.

Like I'd actually buy a DQXI:2 that shows what happens to that timeline after Eleven is gone. The Act 2 timeline is way more interesting than Act 3's

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I keep wondering what my real party is doing in the Act 2 timeline. This crew just feel like imposters.

Like I'd actually buy a DQXI:2 that shows what happens to that timeline after Eleven is gone. The Act 2 timeline is way more interesting than Act 3's
RIP Serena's arc

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

DQ XI feels like the OoT of DQ games, lol. So many new timelines.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI feels like the OoT of DQ games, lol. So many new timelines.

Especially that last one with Erdwin and Serenica. Is it implied that she basically changed the past to stop Morcant from stabbing Erdwin in the back and successfully killed Calasmos? Also how exactly is Eleven able to transfer the power of the Luminary (and still keep it for himself afterwards)? That was a weird scene all in all.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Especially that last one with Erdwin and Serenica. Is it implied that she basically changed the past to stop Morcant from stabbing Erdwin in the back and successfully killed Calasmos? Also how exactly is Eleven able to transfer the power of the Luminary (and still keep it for himself afterwards)? That was a weird scene all in all.

Yeah, I had a lot of questions about that after I beat the game the first time. I interpret the ending as Serenica creating yet another new timeline where she manages to save Erdwin. The Dragon Quest multiverse is real, lol.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
about 60 hours in, just beat the
serpent boss
on the 5th try, easily the hardest fight yet (hard monsters on, think I'm underleveled too haha)
the bosses leading up to it were fairly easy with the setup I had lapsed into, so I had to really think hard about a new strategy, equipment, skills etc. the sort of challenge that I love, all the tools are there but you have to put them together
absolutely loving this game, I'm mainly a handheld gamer anyway so every now and then I feel like I have to pinch myself that this massive beautiful game can be played on such a small device.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That is if the Act 2 timeline isn't just the world of DQ IV-VI, lol.

Oooooooooh I like that theory!

Let's expand on it:

Second timeline: If Calasmos is never fully defeated, Yggdrasil doesn't turn back into Yggdragon. Instead people who somehow grow wings build Zenithia Castle on the floating rock around the tree. In IV-VI you can always find lots of Yggdrasil Leaves and Dew on Zenithia.

Then the third timeline- Erdwin kills Calasmos, Zwaardsrust is founded and never falls, Dundrasil never falls, so you now have 5 kingdoms instead of 3, which is the same amount you have in DQVII.

DQVIII is connected to DQI-III by Ramia so it must be part of the first timeline. I barely remember anything about DQIX but considering it has a castle in the sky and people with wings I'm gonna go with the second timeline with the Zenithia trilogy. Then who the hell knows what DQX is.

There, I solved the DQ timeline mystery.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act 2 final boss;

Made it to the final boss and defeated phase one and while the game had the decently to heal my party for the second phase. It could had the decently to autosave so I wouldn't have to waste my time doing phase one again after dying to phase two because the game lacks a decent recovery spell to bring back multiple party members in one turn. I also hate it how the boss can remove buffs and how switching in a party member eats up a turn.

In a nutshell, I am too pissed off to continue and given that the game pulls a stupid time travel plot in act 3, I am not really compelled to continue.

I might give it another go but if I die again, I am just calling it quits and moving on, I ain't wasting my time on a stupid boss fight.

Yeah I am not a fan of what I heard about act 3 either, it just undoes everything of act 2. I can't help but feel that act 2 was just a waste of time and a lame attempt to pad out the game play length. If I ever defeat the final boss, I won't be doing act 3.

Lumyst

Oct 27, 2017
Are most people interpreting Act 3 as
time travel? I swear there's a brief cutaway showing the Timekeeper looking at a fragment of broken glass glowing that implies the Hero just transported himself into a crystalline backup of the world generated by deposited memory records that the Tockles took from reality, so I see it as Calasmos and the Hero being stuck in a backup world which at least has the utility of being a final battleground for containing and defeating Calasmos once and for all, and he's marshalling the essences of his friends/party to do the task. However I haven't visited the Tower of TIme as it exists in Act 3 yet so maybe I've got the wrong idea.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I always thought it was simply an alternate time line set in the recent past.

Or

Just the past in which a do-over is allowed to
save Veronica

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are most people interpreting Act 3 as
time travel? I swear there's a brief cutaway showing the Timekeeper looking at a fragment of broken glass glowing that implies the Hero just transported himself into a crystalline backup of the world generated by deposited memory records that the Tockles took from reality, so I see it as Calasmos and the Hero being stuck in a backup world which at least has the utility of being a final battleground for containing and defeating Calasmos once and for all, and he's marshalling the essences of his friends/party to do the task. However I haven't visited the Tower of TIme as it exists in Act 3 yet so maybe I've got the wrong idea.

Most people are interpreting Act 3 as
The Luminary creating a whole new timeline by going back in time to right Mordegon's wrongs.