RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd already said it in this thread but I just hope maybe when the full game comes out PC modders can get the PS4 graphics back into the Steam version of this.

renocon

Apr 7, 2019
I thought I'd already said it in this thread but I just hope maybe when the full game comes out PC modders can get the PS4 graphics back into the Steam version of this.

I might be overreacting but I just hate the fact that we are not getting the best version this could be on consoles and pc just because of squares laziness. Any other fanbase would have not have found this acceptable.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Nice to see it on Game Pass for PC. Bought it on Steam the first time around but never finished it. I'd double dip if they added ultrawide support, but that's never going to happen.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Nevee finished this on pc but I was close . Over 50 hours I'll prob try it on console since it's on gamepass but doubt ill get far .
Was a really good game from what I played tho

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
They should at least patch this version with better graphical fidelity later down the road. It's not definitive if the visual are inferior.

renocon

Apr 7, 2019
They should at least patch this version with better graphical fidelity later down the road. It's not definitive if the visual are inferior.

Absolutely crazy that there will be a graphical difference between the same game on the same system (between both ps4 version ). It sucks because they never would have pull this crap with final fantasy

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
MH3U on Wii U used lower quality models than MH3 Wii. Symponia Chronicles PS3 ran at half the framerate Symphonia GC did. RE4 PS360 is missing lighting/shading that RE4 GC had. This isn't really that unusual when later ports are based on interim ports (MH3U 3DS, Symphonia PS2, RE4 PS2, etc).

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
MH3U on Wii U used lower quality models than MH3 Wii. Symponia Chronicles PS3 ran at half the framerate Symphonia GC did. RE4 PS360 is missing lighting/shading that RE4 GC had. This isn't really that unusual when later ports are based on interim ports (MH3U 3DS, Symphonia PS2, RE4 PS2, etc).
None of those examples are the same as DQXI. They're just bad ports. DQXI is already on the PS4/PC. A downgraded rerelease on the same platform is a new level of laziness.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm all over this. Already preordered on Amazon. I hope they bring the rest of the series too, including the Heroes, and Builders series.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy this. Wait for the PC version to be modded.
You have to buy this if you want the new content, unless you're advocating for theft of game content you never payed for in terms of modding the old game. Unless you mean wait to buy until a mod comes out for this version to give it better visuals. But any mod to give the old version the content for free would be illegal.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just so I am informed. They literally overwrote the code of the PS4 4k version when making the switch defintive edition, and now this new version is really lesser in visuals compared to my ps4 copy from launch?

So I have to decide between the definitive edition extra content, or the best picture? Unfortunately, I didn't get to play the ps4 one yet due to certain other games at the time and eventually the definitive was announced and I thought I would wait... I wonder which I should play?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just so I am informed. They literally overwrote the code of the PS4 4k version when making the switch defintive edition, and now this new version is really lesser in visuals compared to my ps4 copy from launch?

So I have to decide between the definitive edition extra content, or the best picture? Unfortunately, I didn't get to play the ps4 one yet due to certain other games at the time and eventually the definitive was announced and I thought I would wait... I wonder which I should play?
They basically developed the Switch port ground up on a different branch of UE4. This involved some visual downgrades adjusting polycounts and texture res but honestly unless you put them side by side most won't notice that. The 2D version included is likewise made ground up and not ported from the 3DS version.

Presumably they just straight ported the Switch version because it was more cost effective than backporting everything into the PS4/PC release. Given this is going to be a low seller (although I hope it takes on GamePass like Yakuza did) it probably makes some sense. They'll also run higher res than the game did on Switch (720p dynamic), and also higher res than vanilla DQXI on PS4 (900p).

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
They basically developed the Switch port ground up on a different branch of UE4. This involved some visual downgrades adjusting polycounts and texture res but honestly unless you put them side by side most won't notice that. The 2D version included is likewise made ground up and not ported from the 3DS version.

Presumably they just straight ported the Switch version because it was more cost effective than backporting everything into the PS4/PC release. Given this is going to be a low seller (although I hope it takes on GamePass like Yakuza did) it probably makes some sense. They'll also run higher res than the game did on Switch (720p dynamic), and also higher res than vanilla DQXI on PS4 (900p).
Wait so if they run at higher resolution on this next release than the base ps4, doesnt that mean it would be upscaled with ps4pro boost mode? Or is the launch ps4 release actually 4k?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so if they run at higher resolution on this next release than the base ps4, doesnt that mean it would be upscaled with ps4pro boost mode? Or is the launch ps4 release actually 4k?
The PS4 version ran 900p (1728p on Pro ), Switch version ran 720p / 540p. We don't know for sure but it's expected the DE will run 1080p on base Xbox/PS4 so higher res than the PS4 original. Switch version also had other visual improvements like party members visual in the field.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really reaaaaally hate that they are simply porting the Switch version. It doesn't look THAT much worse, but it's still relevant if you already played the OG version on PS4 or PC. Some characters look so flat in some scenes, it's really annoying:

h30b05kerv521.jpg

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely insane that there are going to be two versions of this game on PC, and the "definitive edition" that came later is going to look worse. Fucking Capcom...

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Still can't believe it's visually inferior to the original and that there will be 2 fucking versions of the game on Steam and Playatation and neither will be the definitive versions. Good grief.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 version ran 900p (1728p on Pro ), Switch version ran 720p / 540p. We don't know for sure but it's expected the DE will run 1080p on base Xbox/PS4 so higher res than the PS4 original. Switch version also had other visual improvements like party members visual in the field.
The DQ XI JP faq pretty much confirms 1080p/30fps for PS4 and 1080p/60fps for PS4 pro. I have to imagine this will be the same set-up for Xbox One and Xbox One X.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
They're exactly the same as DQXIS. Downgraded in ways because they're based on interim ports to 3DS, PS2 or Switch.
None of the games you listed are re-releases on the same platform so no it's not the same. And again those were just bad ports. Relative to the Switch version there's no indication that DQXIS PS4/PC is a bad port or downgraded.
The problem is that with DQXIS PS4/PC they chose the laziest way possible which is to port a port rather than integrate the new features to the existing versions.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
None of the games you listed are re-releases on the same platform so no it's not the same. And again those were just bad ports. Relative to the Switch version there's no indication that DQXIS PS4/PC is a bad port.
The problem is that with DQXIS PS4/PC they chose the laziest way possible which is to port a port rather than integrate the new features to the existing versions.
It's not exactly the same, but it's the same reasoning: based on an interim (downgraded) port. They're not bad or lazy ports, they're just based on versions that were scaled back, exactly like DQXIS.