• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Shadow Filtering cleans things up and adds more depth. It's subtle, but does clean up the striping scene during the day.

OFF
53646398640_e61abebd59_o.jpg

ON
53645064282_77014d4802_o.jpg

p2ir

Apr 11, 2024
Do you know how to make the settings stick in RE Framework? I have to reset them every time.
New mod that helps with the shadow dithering, it's considered a beta release but it looks better for me.

www.nexusmods.com

Enhanced Shadowfiltering

Enhances in-game shadow quality by modifying existing shadow filtering values. Simple toggle UI for custom settings, including 'Original' and 'Enhanced' filtering modes and adjustable shadow variance

You can use this mod that I added to nexusmods, it changes the values and adds a .lua file for customization. Although it is "beta" I haven't had any issues with it while playing for quite a while now. The default values I set are "2" for shadow filtering and "1.5" for shadowVariance or "smoothing", this is my preference as the shadow aliasing is more apparent when using the alternate shadow filtering with "high" shadow setting.
To have different values at startup you can edit the .lua file. I added some comments to the script so it should be pretty straightforward.

wanderjahr

May 8, 2020
You can use this mod that I added to nexusmods, it changes the values and adds a .lua file for customization. Although it is "beta" I haven't had any issues with it while playing for quite a while now. The default values I set are "2" for shadow filtering and "1.5" for shadowVariance or "smoothing", this is my preference as the shadow aliasing is more apparent when using the alternate shadow filtering with "high" shadow setting.
To have different values at startup you can edit the .lua file. I added some comments to the script so it should be pretty straightforward.
Thank you, I will check that out

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018

I've been using this mod since you released it, thank you! No issues here.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Finally added the Frame gen mod for my 3090 and man, I should have done this from the start. Game feels so much better, especially in towns.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Do we know why sometimes randomly GPU usage shoots up to 99% and goes back down to like 50-60% within the next loaded area regardless of what its actually rendering?

or is this just a me thing? The only mod I really have installed infinite stamina outside of combat which shouldn't affect performance.

Last edited:

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I got a weird VRAM experience playing yesterday. I went into a riftstone and noticed immediately the loss of FPS. I opened up Special K and saw that it was hitting my max VRAM (24 GB). Instead of settling down it continued to build up until SK reported more than 30 GB of VRAM usage and the game crashed. I've seen other people report this as well that there is something wild going on with the riftstones that makes the game explode.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
Yeah, I just save and reload after visiting any riftstone. It also happens if I hire a pawn from the open world.

DAOWAce

Jan 6, 2018
US East
Do we know why sometimes randomly GPU usage shoots up to 99% and goes back down to like 50-60% within the next loaded area regardless of what its actually rendering?
Still assuming, but check my earlier posts.

The game has some sort of issue that's only really resolved by reloading it; either by passing over the zone again, or saving and loading.

Sad that the actual major issues have been left to fester for so long. It shouldn't take this long to get things fixed, but alas, overseas company trying to put patches out on every platform simultaneously (nevermind pushing it out to release in the first place). Terrible decisions at the helm.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been following since launch week, so excuse the question but what's the state of this game now on PC?

Oct 28, 2017
What are the recommended settings for performance? I'm playing with a 4090 at 4k dose and are using the enhanced rtx mod to avoid the grass artifacts.

Any other mods I should look into?

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
What are the recommended settings for performance? I'm playing with a 4090 at 4k dose and are using the enhanced rtx mod to avoid the grass artifacts.

Any other mods I should look into?
Quality Water - increases SSR resolution
Enhanced Shadowfiltering - changes the in-engine shadow filtering method to one that produces less dithering artifacts
Updating DLSS to 3.7 and forcing preset E via nvidia inspector or dlsstweaks (if using DLSS)
LukeFZ has a patreon only mod (in beta) that can swap FSR2 for DLSS and vice versa. Because this game has a bad DLSS implementation, you get a image quality improvement by picking FSR2 and using that mod to swap to DLSS. Makes a big difference on foliage. Probably not worth paying for just for this game though.

Self promo but if you use HDR, I made a reshade preset that fixes the black floor and makes some minor contrast/saturation adjustments.

Biggest performance win is dropping shadows from max to high, though they look noticeably worse.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn PT looks so much better, I hope he can remove the denoiser. Shadows get a huge improvement. The shadow filtering visual flaw is all but removed with it.

Current RTGI
693-1713926321-11025238.jpeg

Path Tracing
693-1713926321-1403240196.jpeg

693-1713892128-990242534.jpeg

693-1713892157-112111536.jpeg

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Definitely cool to see all these mods being made but the games performance doesn't leave anything left on the table really for them. Have Capcom even put out a single patch for this game addressing it?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely cool to see all these mods being made but the games performance doesn't leave anything left on the table really for them. Have Capcom even put out a single patch for this game addressing it?
Not yet. I kept putting off starting the game until a performance patch came and I am still waiting. I've been mostly reading instead (Cradle series and Dungeon Crawler Carl) and playing a bit of Fallout games again.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Just tried the path tracing mod and it really has a lot of potential. I hope modders can get it denoised properly, it'd be a big leap forwards for the graphical quality of the game. I wonder what Capcom is planning with this. Doubt it's just they're feeling like implementing high end PC features, maybe it's planned as a mode for PS5 Pro?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the path tracing mod and it really has a lot of potential. I hope modders can get it denoised properly, it'd be a big leap forwards for the graphical quality of the game. I wonder what Capcom is planning with this. Doubt it's just they're feeling like implementing high end PC features, maybe it's planned as a mode for PS5 Pro?

Very much doubt it's something for the ps5 pro, probably just experimenting with PT in RE Engine for future titles or as a future patch drop.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022

I don't see how the PS5 Pro will be able to do it without it running at 15 FPS.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I don't see how the PS5 Pro will be able to do it without it running at 15 FPS.
I get around native 4k 30fps on my 4090 without upscaling. Bump that down to like 1080p upscaled at 30fps with low SPPs and maybe one bounce only, a PS5 Pro may be able to run it. I just don't see Capcom implementing anything specifially for the PC version looking at the quality of this port and the fact that previous titles just had the console RT feature set, and PS6 is a bit too far away to be doing R&D implementing working features like this in their game now.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
The PT mod is pretty impressive. Hopefully they can get the denoiser to function correctly. As far as performance with PT on (using PurePT and 2 bounce) I go from 85+ fps to around 45 - 55 fps. Still playable framerate, but the noise keeps me from leaving it on. It's crazy to see what the community can accomplish.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The PT mod is pretty impressive. Hopefully they can get the denoiser to function correctly. As far as performance with PT on (using PurePT and 2 bounce) I go from 85+ fps to around 45 - 55 fps. Still playable framerate, but the noise keeps me from leaving it on. It's crazy to see what the community can accomplish.

With FG on I couldn't even tell if there was a significant drop on a 4090, it felt smooth enough that I didn't even bother turning on the steam fps counter.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
My game is suddenly crashing on startup for no reason. It worked perfectly fine before the update and now I get an error right after opening the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the framegen mod. It's working again!

Last edited: