Votes: 313 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%

• Total voters

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
absolutely here for cole slander, man made a career out of letting nas down

like, at least drizzy basically stays in his sadboi misogyny lane (although him claiming he'd be good as a conscious mc is hilarious), cole has even less perspective than regional dudes like big krit did and just manages to bore on different frontiers, no idea how he ever got so gassed up beyond existing in a time without as much competiton for his lane

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
That shit was super light. Thread title had me thinking Kendrick was bombing on people.

That verse barely warrants a response because he was spraying into a crowd with beanbag rounds.

Beat is petrol though. I wish I could have a 5-minute instrumental.

This seems like an odd way to frame this especially with everything going on in the world lately.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I died on "Kung-fu Kenny!"

delivered so good, i had to go boot up cartoons & cereal

damn. Kung-Fu Kenny is 36 in a karate class

regular tae-bo ho, tryin to get brolic

This seems like an odd way to frame this especially with everything going on in the world lately.

0Cmnv.png

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really like the beat. Metro definitely could have done more with the sample. Three 6 flip on Mystic Styles was much harder and that was 30 years ago on some basic ass equipment.

As for the verse, it was cool. Kendrick paints a good picture but in terms of barring up I always found those types of lines are few and far between and when they're there his delivery fucks it up.

I don't see much of anything coming out of a Cole and Kenny beef. Maybe Drake will come back with something though

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I would not judge Kendricks verse too harshly.

It's bait like Infrared was,

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
"Rapping thread" tells me all I need to know.

Anyway, last time Pusha, Metro, and Future were in the same room they had yoga and meditation era Pharrell rapping double time giving drug dealer advice and the goons he's got on call over a angry alien industrial beat.

youtu.be

Future - Move That Dope ft. Pharrell Williams, Pusha T

Download "Honest" here: http://smarturl.it/honest-albumPlay the track at Beats Music: http://beats.mu/bxk7Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/5rbqupVSYwvE...

So this should be great; we forget that new Clipse song Pharrell played at his Louis V debut was going at Jim Jones hard for just too heavily associating with Drake along with Drake still throwing subliminals his way, so I expect boatloads of good music and competitive rapping from all corners.

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
it wasn't odd at all you're just acting like you don't comprehend how figurative speech works.

No I completely understand how it works I think it's odd especially in today's times with all the things going in the world. These are a bunch of 30-year-old Rich guys who really don't have problems with each other and will dap each other up and talk if they see each other in person.

It's no where near as bad but I am old enough where it reminds me in the mid 90s early 2000s when people where calling everything gay and retarded and screaming you got raped into Xbox live mics. Hip hop isn't immune from evolving and growing up neither is its fans.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
No I completely understand how it works I think it's odd especially in today's times with all the things going in the world. These are a bunch of 30-year-old Rich guys who really don't have problems with each other and will dap each other up and talk if they see each other in person.

It's no where near as bad but I am old enough where it reminds me in the mid 90s early 2000s when people where calling everything gay and retarded and screaming you got raped into Xbox live mics. Hip hop isn't immune from evolving and growing up neither is its fans.

You do realize you're tut tutting a thread full of minority posters for their use of the term 'Civil War', right? Saying they don't understand the importance of the term?

Just so we understand, lol.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
You do realize you're tut tutting a thread full of minority posters for their use of the term 'Civil War', right? Saying they don't understand the importance of the term?

Just so we understand, lol.

I am also a minority so I don't know what that has to do with anything. I just said I find it odd it's the same thing in sports when they just try to describe a game as a war or battle it's just strange especially with all thats happening more and more in the world

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

like, at least drizzy basically stays in his sadboi misogyny lane (although him claiming he'd be good as a conscious mc is hilarious), cole has even less perspective than regional dudes like big krit did and just manages to bore on different frontiers, no idea how he ever got so gassed up beyond existing in a time without as much competiton for his lane

This just sounds like pure, unadulterated hateraid to me… Cole made a career off consistent dope albums and mixtapes and great features.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're slap boxing, this isn't a real diss. 7/10.

Anyway, holy fuck that song is trash. Beat's fire, but for the life of me, I don't know why anyone likes Future. Never heard Metro before this, and I hope to never hear him after this too.
lol Metro's the producer, he made the beat.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I get it I'm an old now . I don't mean take anyone's thread off topic. I was doing the same shit and saying the same shit when it was Jay z versus nas. I just find it odd how everything is so compared to these violent things actually going on in the world

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I am also a minority so I don't know what that has to do with anything. I just said I find it odd it's the same thing in sports when they just try to describe a game as a war or battle it's just strange especially with all thats happening more and more in the world

It's not strange if you had any basic understanding about the genre and the culture. The first weird comparison you made was taking umbrage at bombing where it's such a formative term in hip-hop and graffiti culture it's widely used:

In stores:

www.bombingscience.com

Graffiti Pictures & Graffiti Supplies | Bombing Science

Bombing Science is your source for graffiti pictures and the largest online store for graffiti supplies. We sell Molotow, Ironlak, Flame, Krink and more.

In fact, back in the radio days when a new popular tracks they would actually play it over and over again and call it bombing.

www.theverge.com

Dropping bombs: Funkmaster Flex and the end of the radio DJ

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

So coming in with a 'You do not understand what is happening in the world' is a weird stance to take recognizing that the term comes from the wholesale destruction of neighborhoods in NYC in the 70's to 80's often for insurance money.

bronxriver.org

How the Bronx Burned - Bronx River Alliance

and often for worse reasons, actual attacks by the state.

www.vox.com

The day Philadelphia bombed its own people

An oral history of a 1985 police bombing that changed the city forever.

Then you said this which shows you don't understand the post in many ways

These are a bunch of 30-year-old Rich guys who really don't have problems with each other and will dap each other up and talk if they see each other in person.

Skipping over the fact it's always been an important part of hip-hop down to battle rap (Have you heard of Eminem?) and even big breakout singles since the early 80s.

au.rollingstone.com

Roxanne Shanté, “Roxanne’s Revenge” - Rolling Stone Australia

From the golden age of hip-hop answer records: The Brooklyn group U.T.F.O. were all over the radio with their putdown “Roxanne, Roxanne.” So a 14-year-old girl from the Queensbridge projects decided to strike back with her own version, a freestyle she called “Roxanne’s Revenge.” Shanté’s filthy...

And this, I don't know. I actually had a more snarkier response because this was pretty condesending.

It's no where near as bad but I am old enough where it reminds me in the mid 90s early 2000s when people where calling everything gay and retarded and screaming you got raped into Xbox live mics. Hip hop isn't immune from evolving and growing up neither is its fans

On top of calling it a "Rapping thread". I am trying to give you the benefit of doubt but its hard for me to understand how just objectively if you read the post (if you're actually reading the post btw, this makes assumptions) see how people are excited, and intentionally try to post jack and tone police verbiage…in a hip-hop thread. The context clues are almost in every post! Particularly when you've got issues like this:

www.usatoday.com

African American English, Black ASL are stigmatized. Experts say they deserve recognition

Researchers are working to preserve Black languages like African American English and Black American Sign Language and reduce stigma around them.

In the world where, I guess I can say to you 'Considering what's happening in the world', lol

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I get it I'm an old now . I don't mean take anyone's thread off topic. I was doing the same shit and saying the same shit when it was Jay z versus nas. I just find it odd how everything is so compared to these violent things actually going on in the world

Figurative language is strange in a thread about people using figurative language at each other …. Cmon man

violent metaphors and similes are entertaining- like watching an action flick, but with your ears.

The idea that these metaphors should go away because of what's happening in the world ignores the fact that the metaphors exist because of what was happening in the world when they were first used

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
It's not strange if you had any basic understanding about the genre and the culture. The first weird comparison you made was taking umbrage at bombing where it's such a formative term in hip-hop and graffiti culture it's widely used:

In stores:

www.bombingscience.com

Graffiti Pictures & Graffiti Supplies | Bombing Science

Bombing Science is your source for graffiti pictures and the largest online store for graffiti supplies. We sell Molotow, Ironlak, Flame, Krink and more.

In fact, back in the radio days when a new popular tracks they would actually play it over and over again and call it bombing.

www.theverge.com

Dropping bombs: Funkmaster Flex and the end of the radio DJ

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

So coming in with a 'You do not understand what is happening in the world' is a weird stance to take recognizing that the term comes from the wholesale destruction of neighborhoods in NYC in the 70's to 80's often for insurance money.

bronxriver.org

and often for worse reasons, actual attacks by the state.

www.vox.com

The day Philadelphia bombed its own people

An oral history of a 1985 police bombing that changed the city forever.

Then you said this which shows you don't understand the post in many ways

Skipping over the fact it's always been an important part of hip-hop down to battle rap (Have you heard of Eminem?) and even big breakout singles since the early 80s.

au.rollingstone.com

Roxanne Shanté, “Roxanne’s Revenge” - Rolling Stone Australia

From the golden age of hip-hop answer records: The Brooklyn group U.T.F.O. were all over the radio with their putdown “Roxanne, Roxanne.” So a 14-year-old girl from the Queensbridge projects decided to strike back with her own version, a freestyle she called “Roxanne’s Revenge.” Shanté’s filthy...

And this, I don't know. I actually had a more snarkier response because this was pretty condesending.

On top of calling it a "Rapping thread". I am trying to give you the benefit of doubt but its hard for me to understand how just objectively if you read the post (if you're actually reading the post btw, this makes assumptions) see how people are excited, and intentionally try to post jack and tone police verbiage…in a hip-hop thread. The context clues are almost in every post! Particularly when you've got issues like this:

www.usatoday.com

African American English, Black ASL are stigmatized. Experts say they deserve recognition

Researchers are working to preserve Black languages like African American English and Black American Sign Language and reduce stigma around them.

In the world where, I guess I can say to you 'Considering what's happening in the world', lol

I 100% understand the culture. I've listened to rap my whole life. I remember when funkmaster flex used to drop bombs all the time. I just think it's more odd the spraying into the crowd. The fact we're still using those kind of terms when the world just seems like it's got more violent and more fucked up. I mean I remember when the word fagot was a part of normal hip hop culture too.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I 100% understand the culture. I've listened to rap my whole life. I remember when funkmaster flex used to drop bombs all the time. I just think it's more odd the spraying into the crowd. The fact we're still using those kind of terms when the world just seems like it's got more violent and more fucked up. I mean I remember when the word fagot was a part of normal hip hop culture too.

More violent and fucked up, than the 80's? Where you can almost copy/paste the conflicts back then to here? I feel like i wasted time doing all the googles if that's how you still feel, lol. And please edit out the slurs, those are wrong no matter who types it. If it was a case of slurs I would agree but equating them still makes me think you don't get it.

My point is that all these terms are violent because the culture came from a marginalized subcultures suffering in violent time, so its odd to police it because forty years later…we are still in violent times.

goroadachi

Banned
Dec 22, 2023

Comparing cole to his own labelmate JID really shows you how mid he is

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
More violent and fucked up, THAN THE 80'S? I feel like i wasted time doing all the googles if that's how you still feel, lol. And please edit out the slurs, those are wrong no matter who types it. If it was a case of childish slurs I would agree.

My point is that all these terms are violent because the culture came from a marginalized subculture violent time, so its odd to police it because forty years later…we are still in violent times.

I 100% understand the best hip hop comes from like NWA and Scarface and the geto boys and UGK and things they saw in their community and in there neighborhoods. all I'm saying is I just think it's odd with all the school shootings and all the violence and no the world's not more fucked up they're just phones recording it. I think the verbage is odd that's all I'm saying.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I am not a fan of that beat, it's just all kind of uninteresting.

Kendrick's bars are dope tho

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I am not a fan of that beat, it's just all kind of uninteresting.

Kendrick's bars are dope tho

I get it on one hand; they wanted to nod to old school hip-hop so as basic construction is concerned it's pretty solid, it's not lazy by any stretch of the imagination.

Same time, you used a Three 6 Mafia sample on top. Like their worst beats make it very difficult not to punch the nearest cop in the face.

I'm all in for responses, and the fact that people will be rapping their asses off… you can't come half assed with responses.

Being competitive in hip hop has been lost, so let's see where this goes…

Also damn Big Sean track is pretty good… probably wishes he dropped it a bit earlier 🥲

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Figurative language is strange in a thread about people using figurative language at each other …. Cmon man

violent metaphors and similes are entertaining- like watching an action flick, but with your ears.

The idea that these metaphors should go away because of what's happening in the world ignores the fact that the metaphors exist because of what was happening in the world when they were first used

I am not talking about the content of the music I am talking about the way the fans talk about the music. Yes just like watching a violent action flick. Everyone understands it's a movie and not real well hopefully they do. Rap is the same way but the way fans talk about this stuff as if it was real life and no it's just an entertainment product also.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
More violent and fucked up, than the 80's? Where you can almost copy/paste the conflicts back then to here? I feel like i wasted time doing all the googles if that's how you still feel, lol. And please edit out the slurs, those are wrong no matter who types it. If it was a case of slurs I would agree but equating them still makes me think you don't get it.

My point is that all these terms are violent because the culture came from a marginalized subcultures suffering in violent time, so its odd to police it because forty years later…we are still in violent times.

Also in reference to the 80s the number of mass shootings was nowhere near the level back then that it is today. I have zero issue with the violence in the music. It's odd the way the fans talk about it and the terms they use as it was real and not entertainment. Same thing with sports.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Also in reference to the 80s the number of mass shootings was nowhere near the level back then that it is today. I have zero issue with the violence in the music. It's odd the way the fans talk about it and the terms they use as it was real and not entertainment. Same thing with sports.
Sorry man, I can't really see the logic in "you're gonna talk like this with the way the world is today?" (implying that the world today is violent and dangerous) and then say that it was okay to talk about in the 80s because the 80s were violent and dangerous

unless i'm misreading and you're saying that the 80s were less violent

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Come on man. "Mass shootings". I posted several historical articles which you ignored why the vernacular is the way it is to come back with "Mass shootings". We talkin' about practice' (c). I cut my teeth as a music journalism and you're hitting me with feels. No one made a shooting reference in this thread too!

The homicide rate in NYC was four times that in 1980 than it is now. I am trying to give you the benefit of doubt but it's coming off 'Well, when it was thousands of poor blacks and latinos getting killed it didn't feel as real as the suburbs I read in the paper now with mostly white faces.'. The language was born from an extremely violent time, not sure how you feel we need to adjust…in today's violent times.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about the content of the music I am talking about the way the fans talk about the music. Yes just like watching a violent action flick. Everyone understands it's a movie and not real well hopefully they do. Rap is the same way but the way fans talk about this stuff as if it was real life and no it's just an entertainment product also.

I assure you that when a fan describes Kendrick's verse as "spraying into a crowd with beanbag rounds" it's not being talked about as if it's "real life".

This is a spectator sport, and fans are discussing a performance, using the terms of the game.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I assure you that when a fan describes "Kendrick's verse as firing into a crowd with beanbags" it's not being talked about as if it's "real life". This is a spectator sport, and fans are discussing a performance, using the terms of the game.

I get that I just find it odd no more no less same thing when people do it in sports. This person's a warrior the battlefield all that kind of shit. It's just odd

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
this whole discussion is mostly over that one poster using the phrase "spraying into a crowd"
he's not incorrect, but he is wrong

I missed that. I only caught when he was mad at the term 'bombing'. My bad. But my point still stands, the reason the language has those terms is its not xbox fanboys like he insinuates, its an artform from (and still) as fucked up place

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Come on man. "Mass shootings". I posted several historical articles which you ignored why the vernacular is the way it is to come back with "Mass shootings". We talkin' about practice' (c). I cut my teeth as a music journalism and you're hitting me with feels. No one made a shooting reference in this thread too!

The homicide rate in NYC was four times that in 1980 than it is now. I am trying to give you the benefit of doubt but it's coming off 'Well, when it was thousands of poor blacks and latinos getting killed it didn't feel as real as the suburbs I read in the paper now with mostly white faces.'. The language was born from an extremely violent time, not sure how you feel we need to adjust…in today's violent times.

100% get what you're saying. I just find it odd the way we describe it and the phrases we use, again same thing in sports. It's like we're desensitized. I'm also the guy that grew up my whole life listening gangster rap and in the back in head not liking hearing black people talk about killing other black people and selling drugs to other black people. To me the best rappers always painted the whole picture good and bad and had a meaning and message Just like when pimp c got out of prison and called out a bunch of rappers for glorifying selling drugs but not the bad side of it.

I grew poor and parents were on section 8 my whole life. I live in a one of the biggest brown communities in the us. I can't speak to New York I'm from Texas.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I get that I just find it odd no more no less same thing when people do it in sports. This person's a warrior the battlefield all that kind of shit. It's just odd

I dunno when I think of "odd" I think of "different from what is normal or expected". It's not uncommon to use this sort of figurative language to describe competition - especially not in a sport that is literally born of people using such figurative language to describe and improve their own circumstances.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I get it on one hand; they wanted to nod to old school hip-hop so as basic construction is concerned it's pretty solid, it's not lazy by any stretch of the imagination.

Same time, you used a Three 6 Mafia sample on top. Like their worst beats make it very difficult not to punch the nearest cop in the face.

Yeah I feel what you're saying about old school, it definitely gives off the feel; no hate on the overall production quality.

I thought the sample's from this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XllU_hAVTBE

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
100% get what you're saying. I just find it odd the way we describe it and the phrases we use, again same thing in sports. It's like we're desensitized. I'm also the guy that grew up my whole life listening gangster rap and in the back in head not liking hearing black people talk about killing other black people and selling drugs to other black people. To me the best rappers always painted the whole picture good and bad and had a meaning and message Just like when pimp c got out of prison and called out a bunch of rappers for glorifying selling drugs but not the bad side of it.

I grew poor and parents were on section 8 my whole life. I live in a one of the biggest brown communities in the us. I can't speak to New York I'm from Texas.

Yeah, but why I pushback

1)In the past we have issues where 'the language' is blamed for the problem. Its a big conservative talking point 'the rap music' the 'picking up your pants' as the cause of poverty and violence as if the (now high end) thuggy baggy jeans was the cause of violence and poverty that was as bad as the 60's and 70's when those neighborhoods were big into suits, church clothes and being mainstream fashionable, along with Earth Wind and Fire

2)Its often used to silent those voices, particularly now hip-hop is worldwide.

3)Obviously there's always an in group discussion about glorifying vs describing but it generally circles back to 'outside forces' (capitalist gatekeepers far removed from the world) and not taken with the fans or artists necessarily themselves. (its mostly said with 'we need balance' not 'ignore the violence in the places you live)

4)Due to the inherit violence of America in general its not just hip-hop that uses violent language. Because being a 'straight shooter', someone who 'bites the bullet' in tough times when they are at 'the end of their rope', even when things 'blow up in their face' is seen as a good thing in everywhere but hip-hop threads it seems😀

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but why I pushback

1)In the past we have issues where 'the language' is blamed for the problem. Its a big conservative talking point 'the rap music' the 'picking up your pants' as the cause of poverty and violence as if the (now high end) thuggy baggy jeans was the cause of violence and poverty that was as bad as the 60's and 70's when those neighborhoods were big into suits, church clothes and being mainstream fashionable, along with Earth Wind and Fire

2)Its often used to silent those voices, particularly now hip-hop is worldwide.

3)Obviously there's always an in group discussion about glorifying vs describing but it generally circles back to 'outside forces' (capitalist gatekeepers far removed from the world) and not taken with the fans or artists necessarily themselves. (its mostly said with 'we need balance' not 'ignore the violence in the places you live)

4)Due to the inherit violence of America in general its not just hip-hop that uses violent language. Because being a 'straight shooter', someone who 'bites the bullet' in tough times when they are at 'the end of their rope', even when things 'blow up in their face' is seen as a good thing in everywhere but hip-hop threads it seems😀

Listen you're 1,000% right I'm not trying to do any of that. I'm just saying we're talking about 3 successful black men who made it. As I have gotten older I just find the way we the fans frame the conversation around the art as odd. I'm not the best typer in the world I'm probably doing a poor job of trying to explain what I'm saying. I'll give you another example I think it's odd whenever we talk about a woman rapper she can't just be a rapper we have to call her a female rapper. (side note Jean Grae was a better rapper then 90% of these guys). I think it's strange when people talk about people stealing someone's girl. I get the phrase buts it's as if she's property. Growing up in Texas with dj screw I also thought it's dumb how we glorify lean when it killed so many of our rappers.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Listen you're 1,000% right I'm not trying to do any of that. I'm just saying we're talking about 3 successful black men who made it. As I have gotten older I just find the way we the fans frame the conversation around the art as odd. I'm not the best typer in the world I'm probably doing a poor job of trying to explain what I'm saying. I'll give you another example I think it's odd whenever we talk about a woman rapper she can't just be a rapper we have to call her a female rapper. (side note Jean Grae was a better rapper then 90% of these guys). I think it's strange when people talk about people stealing someone's girl. I get the phrase buts it's as if she's property. Growing up in Texas with dj screw I also thought it's dumb how we glorify lean when it killed so many of our rappers.

"Sex drugs and rock and roll". The disturbing concept of the 27 Club. Neil Portnow's, former head of the Academy of Music terrible comments on the lack of women winning Grammy's and his subsequent exposure of being an abuser. Britney's autobiography. Paula Abdul's lawsuit against American Idol. The lyrics in Rolling Stone's "Brown Sugar"

I think hip-hop misogyny is in a terrible place and dudes like 50 making fun of Thee Stallion getting assaulted is terrible.I think holding the current class of great female mc's to a higher standard about their sex talk vs Snoop Doggs is unfair. But saying its a uniquely hip-hop problem, its not. It's weird and unfortunate discussion in a post celebrating one of the greatest rappers in the world asking other great rappers to battle him.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022

Stop slime.

Cole ain't for everyone but dude is a skilled lyricist. Always has been.

And he's this eras Luda where chances are, if he's a feature he's the standout.