• Not Like Us

Votes: 234 39.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not Like Us is just an amazing track lol. With Kendrick I just assume that there's always layers to his madness and I think this was an amalgamation of "I'ma roast your ass" and "oh I only make conscious shit?" Probably a bunch of other things too. I also think back to the end of Push Ups when he's taunting Kdot. No way that he saw this shit coming 🤣😂😂. Kdot merked him on tracks that feel so different and far apart from one another.

Drake mocks Kendrick's Grammy wins and Kendrick's fanbase. All while gloating about his mega hit singles and how he could play the conscious game but chooses not to *surejan.gif*.

Meanwhile, Kendrick has demonstrated that he has a ton of variety and that includes some conscious shit and some bangers with all in between. As an artist I think he's far more versatile than Drake and this beef demonstrates just that with how different Kendrick's tracks have been.

Not Like Us is a fucking banger and broke streaming records. It's not some conscious Grammy bait or whatever Drake's and his fans would call it. It's exactly more along the lines of the type of music Drake says he prefers to make. Then Kendrick just drops it like, "oh you think I can't make shit that rides hard like this? Ok I'ma do that, AND call you a pedo the entire track and have the club bumping to it all summer." It's just fucking wild.

I come out of it thinking the same way I came in; Kendrick probably could rap on club beats all day but he makes the music he wants to make. Drake I think has his team and makes what he wants, but if the fate of humanity was on him making something like TPAB, it was nice knowing y'all I guess.

He should.

Came to write up something similar. I'm still amazed at how much Not Like Us has taken over. You can say Drake had a scathing loss to Push, but Story of Adiddon wasn't a song people were bumping anywhere. It was cool for the online discourse and memes, and it was important but it still didn't get Drake where it really hurts him. The commercial success. This guy is getting "Ja Ruled" right now and the comparison is almost uncanny.

Dec 17, 2022

Game really has no business beefing with anyone after the whole "Game was fooled into going on shopping trips with Diddy for two years while he was mislead he'd get an album out of the courtship" situation.

Dude is tiresome.

Wake up era. New drake Stan cope narrative dropped
Kendrick stole tweets with 34 views LETS GOOO

View: https://x.com/akademikstv/status/1788707672357044388?s=46&t=3VFQWR8pgnc5k_EI0Kp7lA

😂 of course the Stans shrug at the team of ghostwriters Drake employs but will get extra if there's stolen tweet jokes.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019
This guy is getting "Ja Ruled" right now and the comparison is almost uncanny.

I'm too young to remember exactly how the timeline played out, but I wonder at what point it set in that Ja Rule wasn't just losing a rap beef but his career too. I think the idea that Drake can just go quiet for a few months and pop back up with a #1 hit might be a little premature tbh.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I'm too young to remember exactly how the timeline played out, but I wonder at what point it set in that Ja Rule wasn't just losing a rap beef but his career too. I think the idea that Drake can just go quiet for a few months and pop back up with a #1 hit might be a little premature tbh.

I think New York was basically the end because even though it felt like that song was HUGE it barely hit 10th on Billboard Rap Songs and only peaked at 27 for the top 100.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I got nothing to add. Kendrick won of course. And Drake being a worldwide loser has been a sight to behold. Lol

I was also in LA for the past few months, and I wish I was back so bad. Haha

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this Game diss track to Ross is gonna be what this beef is now. Yep, this is like an IC Title Match going on after the World Title lmao. Doesn't make sense but hey good for those 2.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

50's disses didn't really take Ja Rule out, but Ja had a string of hit albums that ended almost as soon as Get Rich or Die Trying dropped. 50s records being so big is what really won the beef and killed Ja's career.

Ja's "New York" is probably the hardest song of the whole beef, but Ja was already fading from the public eye when it came out.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I only heard of DJ Akademiks before this whole beef and only impression I have of him now is just being a big clown

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Technically he still made quite a few hits after that. Most notably New York. But 50 Cent had such a stronghold on the game that he controlled the entire narrative. Whatever happens I don't think things will be the same. As bad as Story of Adidon was for Drake, you can "redeem" yourself from being a deadbeat. Look at how all the memes about that situation are that Pusha dissed Drake into being a good father. Drake can't "redeem" himself from this specific accusation.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Technically he still made quite a few hits after that. Most notably New York. But 50 Cent had such a stronghold on the game that he controlled the entire narrative. Whatever happens I don't think things will be the same. As bad as Story of Adidon was for Drake, you can "redeem" yourself from being a deadbeat. Look at how all the memes about that situation are that Pusha dissed Drake into being a good father. Drake can't "redeem" himself from this specific accusation.
Hell if the accusations of Dake having a daughter that is older than Adonis that he doesnt recognize, it actually makes Story of Adidon "redemption" fake of sorts and strengthens that diss because the only reason he became a good father (in that case) was because of the song and because of an Adidas promotion, not because he really wanted to (as he had a previous kid he never recognized).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this quite a bit. Proving that he floated fake information *and* that Kendrick bit on it does one huge thing: It suddenly shifts doubt towards Kendrick. if he bit on fake information, can we trust a lot of the other things Kendrick is saying? Sure, the other stuff in MtG is scathing, but it stings a lot less when we know one of the verses is based on completely falsified info that Kendrick bit on. Suddenly, 6:16 in LA becomes a lot worse when Kendrick asserts that OVO is working for Kendrick and that Drake can't trust people.

The team definitely didn't float any misinformation. If they did and it worked, it would be a huge W for Drake and he'd have been parading something that makes Kendrick look stupid. Instead, he's just been quiet. In fact, if he had proof and dropped it immediately following Meet the Grahams, it would have taken all of the sails out of MtG. Instead, it was allowed to gain so much momentum which lead right into Not Like Us.

Drake has been completely played. The Heart Part 6 was just sad damage control.

It wouldn't have shifted anything in any way. Almost none of Kendrick's disses relied on new information- 99% of it was just repackaging shit that the culture already felt about Drake. The reveal of planted info wouldn't invalidate Kendrick reinforcing things that we already know about Aubrey.

Just running through the disses that exist outside of allegedly fake info:

We knew Drake was insecure about blackness
We knew Drake Spent $500K on a SA case
We knew his new gangsta persona is fake
We knew he disrespected Pac,
We knew he folded to Pusha T
We heard dot say he'd go YNW Melly on Drake and Cole if needed
We heard dot say he hates everything about Drake including the fake women he fucks
We heard dot say the Culture agrees with him
We heard dot say he likes the melodies, not Drake acting tough
We knew Drake had surgery to get his abs
We knew Drake latches to rising artists to maintain relevance
We knew Drake is in toxic competition with Black Women
We knew Drake hid his son
We knew Drake uses ghostwriters
We knew Drake is a terrible person who frequently earns the ire of people he signs to OVO
We knew Drake put tons on money in the street looking for dirt on opponents
We knew Drake did nothing when a man pissed on him
We knew Drake is obsessed with sex workers
We knew Drake wears Blackness only when convenient
We knew Drake exhibits troubling behavior towards high school age girls
We knew Drake had sex offenders on OVO

That's an incomplete summary of everything insult Drake had to stomach before the 11 y/o girl was revealed. NONE of it relied on information that isn't already public knowledge. So how would proof that Kendrick was mislead about the girl suddenly shift the tides when almost none of Kendrick's momentum was built on allegedly leaked info? As far as this battle goes, the origin and legitimacy of the secret daughter allegation was effectively irrelevant.

Then NLU comes out and it, like almost everything Kendrick rapped about, is based on pre-existing public sentiment about Drakes behavior

It's definitely possible Drake floated fake info. It would be right in line with the rest of his ineffective strategy, considering Kendrick didn't need new info to deconstruct Drake's character. There's no battle saving diss record that could be made from such a reveal…which explains why we got Family Matters. But even that ultimately wasn't close to being enough to change the trajectory of the battle.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I guess this Game diss track to Ross is gonna be what this beef is now. Yep, this is like an IC Title Match going on after the World Title lmao. Doesn't make sense but hey good for those 2.

It must have eaten Game alive seeing a beef this big that didn't involve him lol. Seems to be the only thing he cares about

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't have shifted anything in any way. Almost none of Kendrick's disses relied on new information- 99% of it was just repackaging shit that the culture already felt about Drake. The reveal of planted info wouldn't invalidate Kendrick reinforcing things that we already know about Aubrey.

Just running through the disses that exist outside of allegedly fake info:

That's a summary of everything insult Drake had to stomach before the 11 y/o girl was revealed. NONE of it relied on information that isn't already public knowledge. So how would proof that Kendrick was mislead about the girl suddenly shift the tides when almost none of Kendrick's momentum was built on allegedly leaked info?
A big part of MtG's impact wasn't just that it was a brutal song, it was also the timing of its release. Right after Family Matters.

To say that Drake revealing proof of successfully baiting Kendrick right after Meet the Grahams wouldn't have shifted anything...that's just strange.

Just as much as this is a battle of wits and musical talent, this beef has been a battle of information, allegations, and strategy. If you really think that the first significant pieces of proof (receipts) in this whole beef being dropped by Drake to show that he is the one who has the strategic advantage wouldn't change the court of public opinion, it feels like you aren't following the dialogue around these songs. Revealing proof that Drake was able to outsmart Kendrick isn't just about invalidating Meet the Grahams' content, it's about invalidating Kendrick's entire approach in general.

Because of the nature of this beef, a big part of it is about showing people who is a more reliable narrator of their side of the story. Public opinion has deemed Kendrick a much more reliable narrator because of pre-existing information (as you mentioned). So when Kendrick says that Drake is lying, we tend to believe him. When Kendrick says that he has a mole in OVO, we tend to believe him. When Kendrick says that he knows everything Drake is going to do, we tend to believe him. That is not a small thing. Drake being able to unequivocally prove that he is the one who has instead been one step ahead of Kendrick changes that entire dynamic. While that wouldn't make any non-daughter stuff in Meet the Grahams false, it removes the trust that many people have in Kendrick as a narrator, and that's a huge deal.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of MtG's impact wasn't just that it was a brutal song, it was also the timing of its release. Right after Family Matters.

To say that Drake revealing proof of successfully baiting Kendrick right after Meet the Grahams wouldn't have shifted anything...that's just strange.

Just as much as this is a battle of wits and musical talent, this beef has been a battle of information, allegations, and strategy. If you really think that the first significant pieces of proof (receipts) in this whole beef being dropped by Drake to show that he is the one who has the strategic advantage wouldn't change the court of public opinion, it feels like you aren't following the dialogue around these songs. Revealing proof that Drake was able to outsmart Kendrick isn't just about invalidating Meet the Grahams' content, it's about invalidating Kendrick's entire approach in general.

Because of the nature of this beef, a big part of it is about showing people who is a more reliable narrator of their side of the story. Public opinion has deemed Kendrick a much more reliable narrator because of pre-existing information (as you mentioned). So when Kendrick says that Drake is lying, we tend to believe him. When Kendrick says that he has a mole in OVO, we tend to believe him. When Kendrick says that he knows everything Drake is going to do, we tend to believe him. That is not a small thing. Drake being able to unequivocally prove that he is the one who has instead been one step ahead of Kendrick changes that entire dynamic. While that wouldn't make any non-daughter stuff in Meet the Grahams false, it removes the trust that many people have in Kendrick as a narrator, and that's a huge deal.

The reason the audience trusts Kendrick is primarily because Kendrick is saying things the audience ALREADY KNOWS TO BE TRUE, no receipts necessary.

If I see with my own eyes that Drake creeps on high schoolers, and Kendrick raps about Drake creeping on high schoolers- I don't suddenly forget that Drake creeps on high schoolers if Kendrick is proven wrong about a secret daughter. I don't suddenly think Drake's ahead of the game… because secret daughter or not, he's still a sex pest.

Kendrick didn't shape the public perceptions of Drake. He took the public's perception of Drake and put it on wax. He's considered a reliable narrator because he's not asking us to challenge our perception of Drake- he's simply reinforcing our beliefs.

THAT'S the key difference in their strategies. Drake is asking us to look at Kendrick differently. But Kendrick is simply asking us to take Drake at face value. A singular piece of new information being proven to have been planted would not prove that Drake is "one step ahead" because at the end of the day, Drake would still be Drake and THAT'S the reason he's was behind. There's no way Kendrick's "entire approach" becomes invalidated, because his approach wasn't ABOUT exposing Drake's secrets. It was about deconstructing Drake's public persona.

PS: the " moles in OVO" concept is meant to sow doubt, not necessarily confirm. The point is that Drake is horrible to the people on his label, and unapologetically takes their best work for himself. He routinely crosses relationship boundaries. Again, we can clearly see all of this as outsiders looking in. So why should Drake be confident that someone in his sweatshop isn't helping Kendrick out? There's 200some people there, one piece of misinfo Doesn't mean the ship isn't truly leaky. But the impact of the bar isn't that Kendrick definitely has an informant, it's that Drake SHOULD be worried about whether or not people he's shit on are loyal to him.

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Came to write up something similar. I'm still amazed at how much Not Like Us has taken over. You can say Drake had a scathing loss to Push, but Story of Adiddon wasn't a song people were bumping anywhere. It was cool for the online discourse and memes, and it was important but it still didn't get Drake where it really hurts him. The commercial success. This guy is getting "Ja Ruled" right now and the comparison is almost uncanny.
Kendrick basically used Drake's only weapon, commercial play, and used it against him. Drakes beef with Meek showed that if you can make a diss song bump in clubs (Back to Back) you've already won half the battle.

Story Of Adidon wasn't meant to be that obviously, it used a sample from a great song but didn't have any chorus or anything. It was Pudha getting straight to the point.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think some posters are underselling the difficulty of what Drake is claiming he did (and thus underselling how impossible it is). Kendrick having a mole and completely preempting all of Drake's disses is insane, it's legendary. I do not think anything will ever top it. Drake thought he had the ultimate killshot, and Kendrick knew everything he was going to do and completely danced on his grave. All four of Kendrick songs were directly planned from and designed around this mole. They hit extremely hard because of this mole.

The next layer of complexity is pretty high. Drake has to know that Kendrick has a mole or he has to plan to give Kendrick a fake mole, then he has to coordinate fake information out to Kendrick and then get information back from the fake mole double blindside Kendrick. That is not some thing that you can half ass. You'll have to plan and you'll naturally have receipts for that. If you're planning this far in advance, you're definitely dropping an exposé at the same time to clown on the person you've just completely schooled.

However, if you just look at the situation at a basic level, I think the situation becomes very clear. It's not that Drake is probably capping, it is 99.9% likely he's capping. Realistically what Kendrick did has never happened in a beef before. this is a brand new strategy born from a very unique situation. Drake clearly does not inspire a ton of loyalty. Given the novelty of the strategy and Drake's non-beloved status, It's insanely unlikely that anyone, let alone Drake) would conceive of a double-double cross strategy in a vacuum. What Drake is pretending to have done is going from trigonometry straight to multi-variable calculus.

Feb 16, 2022
I think some posters are underselling the difficulty of what Drake is claiming he did (and thus underselling how impossible it is). Kendrick having a mole and completely preempting all of Drake's disses is insane, it's legendary. I do not think anything will ever top it. Drake thought he had the ultimate killshot, and Kendrick knew everything he was going to do and completely danced on his grave. All four of Kendrick songs were directly planned from and designed around this mole. They hit extremely hard because of this mole.

The next layer of complexity is pretty high. Drake has to know that Kendrick has a mole or he has to plan to give Kendrick a fake mole, then he has to coordinate fake information out to Kendrick and then get information back from the fake mole double blindside Kendrick. That is not some thing that you can half ass. You'll have to plan and you'll naturally have receipts for that. If you're planning this far in advance, you're definitely dropping an exposé at the same time to clown on the person you've just completely schooled.

However, if you just look at the situation at a basic level, I think the situation becomes very clear. It's not that Drake is probably capping, it is 99.9% likely he's capping. Realistically what Kendrick did has never happened in a beef before. this is a brand new strategy born from a very unique situation. Drake clearly does not inspire a ton of loyalty. Given the novelty of the strategy and Drake's non-beloved status, It's insanely unlikely that anyone, let alone Drake) would conceive of a double-double cross strategy in a vacuum. What Drake is pretending to have done is going from trigonometry straight to multi-variable calculus.
The only way the "Drake planted things" stuff could be true is if he was convinced to do so by the moles, and Kendrick had more counters ready if Drake was to come forward with "proof" that he planted stuff, which would make it a triple-gambit by Kendrick's camp, but that's too ridiculous.

As it is, there's absolutely zero reason to believe that Drake planted anything given how things turned out.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Kendrick's 4 songs were not "planned around" a mole. A grand total of 1 of the things Kendrick said about Drake required having actual insider information.

You're also exaggerating how difficult it is spread a rumor. The thing about rumors is, you DON'T need receipts because people are simply taking what they hear at face value. All it takes is someone to assume their source got info from someone who would know. Notice how people assume Drake has a daughter w/o seeing evidence of Drake having a daughter.

It's weird to me that people think Drake needed to post pictures that prove Kendrick is wrong about this one thing. But Kendrick didn't need to prove that he's right about this one thing. No one really needed to prove anything. They just needed to diss their opponent. Kendrick won because Drake couldn't keep up with the flurry of attacks on his public persona. daughter or not, Drake doesn't have the chops to recover from NLU, which is derived from publicly available info. And MTG would put Drake on the back foot, even if the daughter verse was proven to be inaccurate. The reality is, hearsay is always rampant in rap battles, and evidence rarely trumps perception.

Kendrick wins this battle whether or not Drake could prove his camp made up the 11 y/o child story. And that's simply because the vast majority of the bars Kendrick had for Drake are about flaws we can readily see with our own eyes,

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019
Fun lil' theory: aside from the things we've talked about to death, part of the reason Drake lost is because his lack of authenticity impacts his music.

One of the biggest gulfs between Drake and Kendrick is their respective ability to have fun musically. Drake's stuff plays in clubs but it's generally moody, stoic, and has a kinda too-cool-for-everything attitude about it. He's spent all these years playing the role of a rapper and in his mind that means look tough, don't smile, remember you're better than everyone around you, etc. So, when he went into war mode with Kendrick he only knew how to use one weapon in that setting: self-serious battle raps. As a result, Push Ups and Family Matters (and especially Heart Pt. 6) have this monotonous joylessness about them. On HP6 he goes down with that ship, insisting it was a "fun exercise" as though the whole thing is beneath him, like he's too cool and perpetually unbothered to really get in the mud with someone. While Kendrick utilizes this same seriousness in Meet the Grahams, there's a theatrical horror about it. The seriousness is purposeful and sharp rather than just floating in the air, and it's a more impactful listen as a result.

By the time we get to Not Like Us, the benefits of Kendrick's authenticity are clear. He understands you can roast someone with joviality and a certain lack of seriousness as well, and he isn't weighed down by the concern Drake has that showing a lighter side of yourself will compromise your credibility. You can win a battle without spending the entirety of it mean mugging and posturing- you can say "I'ma do my shtuff" in a silly voice in a diss track. Drake can't do that because he doesn't understand the idea of expressing the entirety of himself musically since, for him, rap isn't a vessel for expression, it's a vessel to create the idea of Drake: the world's coolest rapper (with all its contrived two-dimensionality). Because of this, his songs are more monotonous, less emotional, and overall less entertaining. Kendrick expresses himself through music, Aubrey creates the character of Drake through music. One person exists, the other doesn't.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Kendrick's 4 songs were not "planned around" a mole. A grand total of 1 of the things Kendrick said about Drake required having actually insider information.

You're also exaggerating how difficult it is spread a rumor. The thing about rumors is, you DON'T need receipts because people are simply taking what they hear at face value- assuming the person they got the info from, got it from someone who would know. Notice how people assume Drake has a daughter w/o evidence of Drake having a daughter.
There's no upside to the rumor in the version of events you're selling. It does not make sense. Why put it out at all? If he did, it's the ultimate self own. Telling a lie about yourself that people believe and you cant refute.

I straight up do not see what you are talking about for the rollout. Minimum 3 songs revolve around the mole.
Euphoria - fabricating stories on the family front cause you've heard Mr. Morale. Back to back I like that record. (Foreshadowing two double drops)
6:16 - I have a mole
MTG - Drops direct after FM because he has a mole. References multiple lines from FM
NLU - obviously prepped in advance second back to back.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Kendrick doesn't need to show receipts for the secret daughter (espescially since that would mean doxing an innocent child). It was aimed at Drake personally, if it's true, Drake knows it's true and Kendrick completely fucks with his head.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
There's no upside to the rumor in the version of events you're selling. It does not make sense. Why put it out at all? If he did, it's the ultimate self own. Telling a lie about yourself that people believe and you cant refute.

I straight up do not see what you are talking about for the rollout. Minimum 3 songs revolve around the mole.
Euphoria - fabricating stories on the family front cause you've heard Mr. Morale. Back to back I like that record. (Foreshadowing two double drops)
6:16 - I have a mole
MTG - Drops direct after FM because he has a mole. References multiple lines from FM
NLU - obviously prepped in advance second back to back.

There's no upside to the rumor even if Drake proves he made it up- it just bad strategy. The best case scenario for Drake would have been if Kendrick made a song that's ONLY about a secret daughter… like Story of Adidon. Then Drake could counter that song with receipts. However 3/4 of MtG (much like everything Kendrick put out up to this point), is about things that require no mole. So a song with receipts about the daughter couldn't possibly save Drake from MtG.

Drake was so royally unprepared for this battle that it would not surprise me if he tried to get Kendrick to focus on one angle, a false one, and then couldn't pivot when Kendrick came at him from 100 different angles.

As far as the roll out:
Euphoria- no mole required
6:16- mentions the possibility of a mole, but the actual diss is that 1) Drake's so shitty to his employees that he can't expect loyalty- 2) people are only around Drake because he pays them, he has no friends. The verse damages Drake regardless of whether or not Kendrick has an actual mole
MtG- 1 out of 4 verses requires a mole
NLU- no mole required

And from the sounds of it, Kendrick had other songs on deck that he would have released instead of MtG if Drake kept it to rap rather than making it personal. When you're prepared for anything your opponent might throw at you, it'll always look like you knew exactly what they were going to do.

Last edited:

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Wake up era. New drake Stan cope narrative dropped
Kendrick stole tweets with 34 views LETS GOOO

View: https://x.com/akademikstv/status/1788707672357044388?s=46&t=3VFQWR8pgnc5k_EI0Kp7lA

They are trying so hard to find something. It makes them look bad.

Great so people have been calling him pedophile for years.

Twitter/X gets 500 millions posts a day. There's bound to be similar words and lines. Especially for stuff like the A Minor joke - it has existed for a long time. The delivery made it a hot bar.

Plus you have to know what to search for to find it lol

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
VUgie2A.png

DAYLYT - Twitter

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
He got that from Reddit. The Drake subreddit is coping really hard. I entered yesterday afternoon cause anywhere I go, I see people saying Kendrick won so I wanted to see how Drake fans felt. It's pure cringe, couldn't last more than 5 minutes.
Yeah, that shit is pure cringe. Going to be fun in a couple of month of no Drake content.