• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

A unique take on third-person action-adventure survival horror injected with Indonesian supernatural culture. Gameplay is a mix of city exploration, DreadOut-style smartphone ghost hunting, and new action-packed battles within DreadOut's supernatural world. Even though is a horror game at heart, with its touch of silly high school problems, satirical social commentary, and touchy, yet memorable moments, DreadOut 2 is a fresh take on the survival horror genre.

Key Features
  • Non-Linear Survival Horror
    • Exploration is the heart of DreadOut 2. We want to take another step to enrich our way of non-linear storytelling through different key elements.
    • Explore a sleepy little town in the night and day to solve the terrifying urban legends that haunt within.
    • Interact with various unique NPCs, including both human and ghosts.
    • A considerable amount of side quests and hidden stages and bosses written and design based on Asian / Indonesian urban legends.
    • Experience tons of interactions and activities.
    • A huge collection of ghost lore under the Ghostpedia is waiting to be discovered.
  • Action Horror
    • Banish them all! DreadOut-style ghost hunting is back.
    • Delve deeper into DreadOut's supernatural world with new action-packed battle mechanics.
    • Battle hideous bosses that roam the supernatural world.
    • Survive further using any available melee weapons throughout Linda's journey.

I really liked DreadOut and DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark, so I'm definitely psyched for this!

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Never got around to Keepers of the Dark, but I really dug DreadOut. This looks wonderful
It has my full recommendation, I think I liked it more than the main game (though one shouldn't play it before the main game). It got wilder and far more interesting enemies and scenarios than the original game did, though the structure may put some off (you have a hub world with 12 doors (and a 13th one to unlock after you exterminate a certain percentage of ghosts), each door leading to a small open level with 2-3 boss ghosts kinda' roaming inside to find and hunt). It really worked for me due to how creative the threats were, which actually gives me a lot of hope they may be able to do good with an action-horror game in the sequel (since one of the strongest things with DreadOut & D:KotD was the enemy selection and variety if you asked me).

Honestly the release date is so close to this release reveal announcement, I'm hoping the game doesn't go by unnoticed as it's looking promising.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The first game is waiting in my library for ages. Never came around to play it. Man, my backlog ...

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Shit... bought it and everything but haven't even played 1.
I need to get on that.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I dig the idea but the actual gameplay looks like no-holds-barred hyper jank.
There's Indonesian jank in the first two games, which I feel the actual execution, pacing, creativity and variety of the game and surprising atmosphere actually managed to make it easy to overlook. I don't know how the sequel will hold up, but I can say this now; It looks a lot less janky than the original game and Keepers of the Dark, both of which were surprisingly good and charming.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It has my full recommendation, I think I liked it more than the main game (though one shouldn't play it before the main game). It got wilder and far more interesting enemies and scenarios than the original game did, though the structure may put some off (you have a hub world with 12 doors (and a 13th one to unlock after you exterminate a certain percentage of ghosts), each door leading to a small open level with 2-3 boss ghosts kinda' roaming inside to find and hunt). It really worked for me due to how creative the threats were, which actually gives me a lot of hope they may be able to do good with an action-horror game in the sequel (since one of the strongest things with DreadOut & D:KotD was the enemy selection and variety if you asked me).

Honestly the release date is so close to this release reveal announcement, I'm hoping the game doesn't go by unnoticed as it's looking promising.
Alright thanks, I'll make sure to play Keepers of the Dark before the sequel.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I enjoyed DreadOut initially as a budget Fatal Frame that tapped into a seriously underutilized (in media) category of folklore. It kinda devolved into a walking simulator as I recall though.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed DreadOut initially as a budget Fatal Frame that tapped into a seriously underutilized (in media) category of folklore. It kinda devolved into a walking simulator as I recall though.
You're recalling wrong. DreadOut actually has a series of six different ghost battles one after the other at the end in like the last fifth of the game, some of which are actually very creative.

The giant Pocong boss, Hallway spirit, the object possession spirit, the Mirror spirit, then the two phase ghost snake woman fight.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's Indonesian jank in the first two games, which I feel the actual execution, pacing, creativity and variety of the game and surprising atmosphere actually managed to make it easy to overlook. I don't know how the sequel will hold up, but I can say this now; It looks a lot less janky than the original game and Keepers of the Dark, both of which were surprisingly good and charming.
Yeah, this game looks way better than the first. I'm kind of surprised more developers haven't used or try to expand on Fatal Frame game mechanics within a survival horror game. They tend to only use either Amnesia/Outlast or Resident Evil/Silent Hill as their main influences for survival horror mechanics.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think I got more than 30 minutes into the first game. On paper it's my jam, but it felt too janky and the controller support felt like an afterthought. This seems more polished so fingers crossed. Maybe they can release an updated version of the first game on consoles.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, I love the first one. I've yet to play Keepers but now I've a reason to replay thr first and tackle Keepers.

While it's janky, I really love how DreadOut captures the Fatal Frame spirit and leaves out the scoring system.