• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Picked up my copy from Walmart at lunch.. can't wait to jump back in.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
How necessary are the move controllers for creation mode?

Comes down to preference and style. They're probably most useful for sculpting and painting, but I managed pretty well with the DS4 when sculpting, albeit while trying a slightly different tack in my approach. There are a few gestures that serve as handy shortcuts that are move exclusive though. At least, last I played, which was a while ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Found all the collectibles in Art's Dream. Was only missing 14 after my first playthrough. It was so fun playing these levels again. Can't wait to see the next story Mm puts out.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Comes down to preference and style. They're probably most useful for sculpting and painting, but I managed pretty well with the DS4 when sculpting, albeit while trying a slightly different tack in my approach. There are a few gestures that serve as handy shortcuts that are move exclusive though. At least, last I played, which was a while ago.

Thanks!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Are they used outside create mode?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
First review

"It may have taken the better part of a decade to make, but the arrival of Dreams feels significant. It represents a whole new way for people to make things and share them with the world. Media Molecule has made a suite of tools that feels intuitive to use, but more than that, it's built a social platform where players can collaborate and explore the imaginations of others. It's a technical marvel, a creative miracle, and one of the most innovative games in years."
10/10

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Are they used outside create mode?
Nope, just for creation.

I thought i would need the Moves for serious creation, but it turned out to be not the case at all.

The only aspect that I have found where the moves seem kind of critical is when you want to spray paint your sculpts, which is difficult to do precisely with a DS4. Some artists have done things like portrait paintings, which would be very hard on a non-move controller.

Sculpting, logic, music, animation and all the other things are all totally fine (and sometimes superior) on a DS4 imo.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bought in on release in ea, i will do all i can to promote this. If you have a ps4, i actually think this is essential, if you dont buy it... well, then you are not a true gamer with a heart of passion for all that gaming stands for.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Topic title is very good, like top marketing campaign good. Sony should use it for their ads

Dammit, I knew I chose the wrong career path. You can still hire me Sony!

Are there any era members that are creating an excellent playlist of the best levels that they could share?

I tried some recommendations, but honestly? Just using the MM picked Dreams is good enough. Tho, making a list of recommendations based on genres (rpgs, adventure, etc) would still be cool to make.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
And there's Orioto again!!!! Everywhere!!!!

Oh my, those screens were printed at the sony art show today so i guess they are the press kit screens :p

So i was at the event with the 3 other artists from dreams, SlurmMacKenzie, Quartdecarton and gauffreman, with also kareem and other MM guys. I could chat a little with him, asked about the idea of opening dreams and letting people publish etc and he told me they have to seehow it's doing in its current form first.

Also had a screen of my demo done for the show with unmecrandom and oskunk and kareem drew sackboy on the back, that was cute.

There was also the game jam ans it's also cute cause i knew some of the student that i had in first year, it's crazy they're doing some pretty crazy stuff and they discovered dream last week.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over how much better the Dreamsurfing UI is. The one that was early into the Early Access was TERRIBLE.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So, for people who make music in Dreams or have heard MM talk about it, what is the practical benefit of the DAW being in an open 3D space? Because, without having used it, I don't like the idea of it, and it's made me not want to even try it out compared to just having a normal 2D UI.

Yep its basically like the Netflix of games now.

Yeah, which is exactly the style of UI it needs for discoverability.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So, for people who make music in Dreams or have heard MM talk about it, what is the practical benefit of the DAW being in an open 3D space? Because, without having used it, I don't like the idea of it, and it's made me not want to even try it out compared to just having a normal 2D UI.

It's terrible.
But what i hate about it is how you can't play all tracks from the start from one of the track, you have to change windows, sometimes replace it to be able to change the cursor on the main timeline etc.. i hate it

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

Not much honestly, but they could hardly make a UI that's inconsistent with the rest of the software. Anyway, you can lock the windows to be 2D, so it's not like it's a huge detriment either.

Edit: But once they add VR it could potentially be amazing to place windows all around you.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Well I think for the most part it's just about having a unified system across gadgets/logic/music etc. The advantage of that unified system is that things can be distributed physically in an intuitive fashion, as opposed to having a massive endless confusing file system as you would in standard game development.

You can always pin windows to the screen which gives you a 2D UI anyway, but ultimately being able to position the music gadgets helps to organise.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished the campaign. Really enjoyed but goddamn did it leave me wanting more. I guess it's more of a primer to show off what the creation tools can do, but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial. I'd play a full game out of the robot platforming segments.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Played Dreams since Early Access and, having just finished Art's Dream, I've got to say I'm absolutely blown away! What an amazing gameplay experiment, mixing so many genres into one seamless experience, all through eye popping art design, emotional story and top notch music. MM knocked it out of the park with this one and cements Dreams as one of my favorites this gen. Can't wait to play the creations coming from the community after everyone plays such an inspirational piece as this.

Also, did anyone else get Tearaway vibes with this one? Mixing so many gameplay sequences into such a bizarre and interesting world and with a cohesive narrative to tie it all together, I felt like I was playing a spiritual sequel from MM!

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the fact you can now see the physics 'balls' of a sculpt, either via the physics heatmap or when you alter the 'Physics Cost' of the sculpt (in the sense that Dreams physics works by creating rigid groups of little balls that fill the sculpt's volume). It reveals a weird trick (which I'd always assumed but never known for sure): if you are putting a ball into your game and it's going to do anything physical, put it on low physics. The best representation of a ball is, of course, a single ball.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
So, for people who make music in Dreams or have heard MM talk about it, what is the practical benefit of the DAW being in an open 3D space?
You can pin it to the screen and have it be functionally 2 dimensional.

It also just makes the UI consistent across all other aspects of Dreams, and as a result it makes them easier to integrate. The logic and animation tools all operate using the same design language - you can link up wires from a logic microchip into a layer on a music timeline and it all behaves as you would expect.

For instance, It's relatively easy to make music that is reactive to the player. On streams they've demonstrated some cool stuff that is pretty simple to do as a result of this, e.g.:
  • have more instruments layered on to the track as a player approaches a trigger zone.
  • trigger reverb in the music when a player enters a cave.
  • Have the player shoot in time with the beat

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
GOTY!!!

Movement is pretty limited and there's nothing much "to do" besides gaze upon the Tower, but this is so God damn cool. Hopefully they add to it.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping that someone made a DAW (like Fruity Loops). Been looking to actually make music in Dreams.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Anyone else find themselves constantly having to reset the controller or is mine just borked?

Thought it was just me, it happened mostly to me towards the end of the story mode. I hope they patch it, it wasn't like that for me in the Early Access.

Also, anyone else find themselves experimenting with things? I've been working on trying to learn as much of the music stuff as possible and did both the basic + advanced tutorial. I might do the cinematic one tonight to try to get an overall grasp of the music tool so I can try to make my own songs and publish them on the Dreamiverse.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
That's weird. It was way worse for me in Early Access than it is for me now.
Really? I literally never dealt with drift on my dualshock 4, I also have the motion controllers which gave me slight issues because of the way my camera is set up (it has to be within certain parameters if you over extend the controllers in a direction they'll no longer be detected on screen or some shit like that lol)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I literally never dealt with drift on my dualshock 4, I also have the motion controllers which gave me slight issues because of the way my camera is set up (it has to be within certain parameters if you over extend the controllers in a direction they'll no longer be detected on screen or some shit like that lol)
Yeah, every time I played (which, granted, hasn't been in probably six months), my imp drifted around constantly. Now it hardly does at all.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Some lunatic remade the town from Stardew Valley in 3D.

I was about to post about this. I love how there's people doing this with the only intention to share it: Pelican Town

Made it so that others can use this set/scene to make cool games, stories, & movies with!

894d06ff33ff188996a38ca231e28b1b

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Spent ages playing Tiny Pier Simulator 1904. It's so good! Like a mini, constrained Theme Park. Been trying to Google it to link to it but I can't find that site that lets you queue up Dreams to try later.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Spent ages playing Tiny Pier Simulator 1904. It's so good! Like a mini, constrained Theme Park. Been trying to Google it to link to it but I can't find that site that lets you queue up Dreams to try later.
indreams.me

Tiny Pier Simulator 1904

Tiny Pier allow you to create and manage your very own Tiny Pier on the seafront. Unlock rides and shops, deal with disasters and the grumpy Mayor. Will you succeed?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the link: Tiny pier simulator
And yeah, that game is legit.
indreams.me

Tiny Pier Simulator 1904

Tiny Pier allow you to create and manage your very own Tiny Pier on the seafront. Unlock rides and shops, deal with disasters and the grumpy Mayor. Will you succeed?

Thanks all! The game is fucking great! It's so ingenious.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
For people who have been asking how to discover content, here are some useful tips:

- Media Molecule is highlighting community creations in their MM picks on the top of the Dreamiverse. They also got a weekly choice/recommendation for you to try out.
- Impy Award winners and nominees are highlighted and stand as some of the very best creations out there
- Past community jam entries are a good source of great creations
- Various streamers like LadylexUK summarize the top games of each week, those streamers also have their own pick of the weeks, available also in the Dreamiverse. Media Molecule also streams weekly.
- Some people like to highlight their stuff on Reddit, Twitter and elsewhere. #madeindreams hashtag also helps
- Check this thread! :P

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Played a Dream called The Playtest of a Masterpiece. It's like 5 minutes but it was pretty fun, can't really say more without ruining the suprise so play it :P

NightTerror

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a region lock content ? For example if I purchase the US version, can I play creation of someone in other regions ?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I just played 4 games in a row : Blade Gunner, Art Therapy, Ruckus - Just Anothet Natural Disaster and Shadows Dance at Olivetop Reach : A Little RPG...all I can say is HOLY FUCK !
This is a game that just came out of Early Access and the content already has a level of polish and quality that's unbelievable!
For those with no interest on creat, like me, there is a lot of content already.
Im truly impressed, got the EA day one to support MM played for a week and dropped until now and it's crazy how much things escalated from there.
Congrats for MM and to all creators !
The 10s and 9s are more than fair.
Honestly at this point I don't know what to expect in a few months or years because if things keep evolving like they did from EA to 1.0 Dreams alone will be a platform.
Oh and will wait for the weekend to play MM campaign ( :