• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vy_7UGICJU
They're on the road and on the run. You don't want to miss this ride!

Written by Ethan Coen and Tricia Cooke, this comedy caper follows Jamie, an uninhibited free spirit bemoaning yet another breakup with a girlfriend, and her demure friend Marian who desperately needs to loosen up. In search of a fresh start, the two embark on an impromptu road trip to Tallahassee, but things quickly go awry when they cross paths with a group of inept criminals along the way. #DriveAwayDolls is in theaters February 23.

May 10, 2018
Saw a trailer over the weekend in front of Argylle and being from Florida and having frequented Tallahassee a lot, it was interesting to see that it is a part of the plot.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The fact there are no reviews posted even with the delay (usually some would have trickled out) has me a little nervous about the quality to be honest -- small films like this usually don't have ironclad embargoes. Hopefully it ends up being solid -- obviously has some good pedigree behind it and the trailers have been fun. As an FSU guy, I appreciate that they're going to Tally also!

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone caught this yet?

Small audience that laughed a lot. It wasn't the movie I expected it to be - much more of a raunchy coming of age comedy, rather than a crime/road movie. I can see it being a big hit with some people, but it fell a little flat for me, like a pastiche of Coen movies... It's got the style, it's got the characters, but not the coherence I'd wanted.

Reading a bit more, it was written by Ethan Coen's partner which gives a bit more context on the direction the story went vs the original trailer/tease, for me.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My brother saw it this weekend. He texted me this:

I enjoyed it, but the performances weren't very good!!! A real bummer for Ethan's solo directorial debut. He handled the serious parts well, but not the comedic moments!

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I honestly felt it was one of the worst movies i've seen in quite a while. Movie is all over the place and just seems to introduce and play scenes out randomly. One of the most abrupt endings as well. Save your money.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was extremely mid. I get what they were going for but the plot and characters were paper thin, the supporting cast was way more charming and interesting compared to our two main characters, the comedy was SUPER hit or miss, the transitions and "Star-wipes" they kept tossing in everywhere got real old real fast.

It's sad to say but it felt like a knockoff Cohen brothers movie. They both need each other to balance each others "things" out. I liked that it was 80 minutes but usually you want to tell a story in that 80 not just have a bunch of what felt like vignettes you'd get on a 2010 era comedy website.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I was looking for this topic but yeah this movie was absolutely crazy I've been telling people exactly how I feel by opening up with the scenario that actually happens in the movie I'll put it in spoilers just in case!

hey how would you like to watch a movie where halfway through a best friend of somebody decides "as a favor to them" that it is their job to have sex with them? Oh that's not appropriate can you also imagine a MacGuffin coming up later that makes them feel so good that they have to constantly bring it up? Well let me tell you about this movie!

Ugh. I didn't like Bottoms just because of that annoying friend that was really creepy as I thought but really liked what the other girl and her relationship blossomed into. Even with the nonsense liar reveal plot.. -_-

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
This might honestly be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I understand what they were goin for but nothing in this movie works at all. Just baffled, no words.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So yeah... when I said Coen brother collabs with other directors almost never work... this is why.

The first thing that sprang to mind was why in the world did you shackle the lead girls with some awful accents? Stuff like that is hard to pull off and can be distracting if done poorly (Thomasin had to contend with a New Englander accent in Eileen but thankfully she was able to pull it off). It doubly sucks because we know these two thrive in raunchy comedy when they're comfortable (et Bottoms and Blockers). It's why Beanie Feldstein easily stole the show in the movie. She was like the living spirit of Philly rage even if it didn't feel like she had the accent of one. No one else can really do much with the script which didn't seem to do much in the first place. Otherwise you get the usual Coen Brothers tropes from nonsensical conversations to odd uses of special effects and the classic case of random deaths and survivors.

And as others have posted, as flawed the likes of Bottoms and Lisa Frankenstein were at least they had plenty of charisma between the actors as well as some inspired cinematography. And those movies at least have a chance of being remembered at a later time This one failed at both and I doubt it will age that well in the future. 4.75/10

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly felt it was one of the worst movies i've seen in quite a while. Movie is all over the place and just seems to introduce and play scenes out randomly. One of the most abrupt endings as well. Save your money.
This might honestly be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I understand what they were goin for but nothing in this movie works at all. Just baffled, no words.

I'm not as down on it but yeah I thought it was just ok. The cast was good but the actual plot wasn't it at all.

Just watched it. It was fucking terrible. Most of the time i was agitated about the decisions that were made. Insultingly bad in almost every way. Curlie was the only funny character of the movie. Nothing else was even remotely funny, exciting, interesting or original. I'm guessing the movie tries to tell something about lesbians but i have no idea what. The love story and all the sex scenes were laughable and needlessly bad. I had goosebumps of vicarious shame throughout the movie..

I'm guessing Joel Coen is the talented brother.