• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Is it weird that I think Cloud is wearing a really dark indigo instead of black? I thought its a great choice to modernize from the original's purple.

Also, no mention on the cumber band but I thought its so much more prominent in the remake trilogy than it has ever has. I think the details and materials is a huge factor to that.

Was there any lore on Cloud's shoulder armor? I believe he is the only "Soldier" who wears an asymmetrical shoulder armor,not to mention it being unique with all the screws, while everyone else is symmetrical.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Barret is the best cartooney to "realistic" design they pulled off in the remake. (Cait Sith and Red are pretty much cartooney to me lol)

The gun arm designs, especially the primary ones, are amazing. Love the mechanical look and how intimidating they are. Compared to the tin can with short tubes of the original, the primary one in the remake is just full of mechanical details. I don't know how people are not immediately running when they see his arm. It seems very uncommon in the world lol

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it weird that I think Cloud is wearing a really dark indigo instead of black? I thought its a great choice to modernize from the original's purple.

Also, no mention on the cumber band but I thought its so much more prominent in the remake trilogy than it has ever has. I think the details and materials is a huge factor to that.

Was there any lore on Cloud's shoulder armor? I believe he is the only "Soldier" who wears an asymmetrical shoulder armor,not to mention it being unique with all the screws, while everyone else is symmetrical.

I'm MOSTLY mentioning changes (and I did mention it, just pretty briefly and mostly that he got belts added to it that weren't there before). I do love it, it's a statement piece to his attire! 👍

I do sort of regret saying Cloud wears exclusively black now, it's more like the DARKEST navy instead of black (and you can only really tell when he's standing in sunlight) (the shoulder actually has some nicely chipped navy paint). His CG version, funny enough, is more straight black. 🤷‍♀️ It can be weird splitting hairs on this, but I guess tl;dr: it got darker than his PS1 version.
REBIRTH-SITE.jpg
ff7-rebirth_6280150.jpg

And no real lore for his armor. I assume it's just old SOLDIER armor that's seen better days. In Crisis Core he still had the full set of shoulder pads still. I assume what Cloud is wearing in the game is what's underneath and was "nailed" to the actual armor above.
crisis-core-ff7-reunion-cloud-buster-sword-ending.jpg

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY

Also wondering about this (caveat: I've only played the modern console release of FFVII and Remake so far). My running theory is that Cloud's pauldron is the bottom or interior part from the full SOLDIER first class armor.

Maybe Crisis Core covers this? Haven't played it; only read a plot summary recently.

Edit: Haha thank you Dice for the better reply above!

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
My only really gripe with Remake Barret is his hair texture or lack of it

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I'm MOSTLY mentioning changes (and I did mention it, just pretty briefly and mostly that he got belts added to it that weren't there before). I do love it, it's a statement piece to his attire! 👍

I do sort of regret saying Cloud wears exclusively black now, it's more like the DARKEST navy instead of black (and you can only really tell when he's standing in sunlight) (the shoulder actually has some nicely chipped navy paint). His CG version, funny enough, is more straight black. 🤷‍♀️ It can be weird splitting hairs on this, but I guess tl;dr: it got darker than his PS1 version.
REBIRTH-SITE.jpg
ff7-rebirth_6280150.jpg

And no real lore for his armor. I assume it's just old SOLDIER armor that's seen better days. In Crisis Core he still had the full set of shoulder pads still. I assume what Cloud is wearing in the game is what's underneath and was "nailed" to the actual armor above.

Just wanna take this chance to say I love how much detail you pour into your DTF threads. Love reading them as someone interested in character design. Love reading in depth thoughts about each article of clothing and I love your personal touch to the writing. Never stop doing this :)

I don't know why I get so fixated with the cumber band in the remakes haha It just directs the eyes so much to it. I checked and this particular design has been there since Dissidia but it never stood out as much to me until now.

They nailed the uniform color, seriously. The color in different lighting conditions make it very interesting to look at and is indigo enough to remind you of his color scheme in the original.

As for the shoulder armor, yeah it looks like the inside piece of the standard SOLDIER ones without the outer shell. I LOVE that detail. Reminds me of some gunpla shoulder parts that broke apart. The idea to design it like that for Cloud specifically is super interesting.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Dice threads <3

Love all the remake designs, and looking forward to more, but yeah, Barret is so good. LOVE HIM.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
Jacket = good
Cornrows = iffy
Mesh top = bad
Fully functioning robot hand that turns into a gun = bad bad bad bad

"What up, fool, it's Barret! I am the man! Oil, Cloud! I just found the biggest damned oil field you've ever seen! Surveying's done, so I should be able to get out there and see Marlene soon. You let her know, all right, Spiky?"

Barret's AC design is some weird drug infused 90's R&B music video meets catwalk fashion trip.

That is.... surprisingly spot-on.

This, 100%.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
ff7-rebirth_6280150.jpg

GOD

DAMN.

You solved one of my biggest unsolved mysteries..."why isn't Cloud shoulder pad the same as the rest of Soldiers?".

I'm sure Square just changed the design ad-hoc for Zack in Crisis Core but your explanation makes sense...the current pad COULD be the underside of the regular Soldier shoulder pad. IT FITS!

He also loses the right shoulder rectangle leather strap, alongside the right shoulder Pad.

I love you all.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that the full pauldron was fastened to the bolts of the one on his outfit, and that he just completely removed the other.
I still wonder when he did this though. Cause he's in the intact SOLDIER outfit still with Zack, and was kind of out of it before Tifa found him.
Maybe scavengers took advantage of his state and dismantled his armor to sell it while he was sitting on the street.
Though that doesn't explain the custom gloves.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Nice, clean, informative breakdowns.

Thank you (and all) for caring lol, I get so worried no one does and that I AM wasting time haha.
I assure you, we've been appreciating these threads and the time and effort put into them very much. Okay, not so much me, but that's because I have redesign thread envy now.

Dice asks: Would you prefer links to pics in the text (that clutters the page less) or would you prefer to see them laid out in the post more (like above) for less clicking?
Less "clutter" would be nice but keeping the images laid out would probably be more conducive for the people who use their phones.

Last edited:

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
I love this thread idea! FFVI-VIII have some of my favourite character designs in video games, so it's cool to see someone analyze them so well.

Barrett's redesign really stood out to me as an excellent take on the original. As others have noted, the lack of hair texture is a bummer, but otherwise I love how they made him look realistically broad, the fit and cut of the pants and jacket, the colour scheme, the body hair... it all really looks great and fits who I envision him to be as a person. I can imagine him choosing each piece for both how it looks and its practical function to him. And the brown/green combo with the gun keeps it from being too plain or boring. It's such a huge improvement over what was happening in AC. Each element of AC's design I think is okay (I like a mesh top, so sue me!), but the way they're put together is gonna be a big no from me. I just don't think it suits Barrett's personality, though I'm not sure I have the language to explain why I feel that way.

I do sort of wish Cloud's outfit was maybe a shade lighter than it is. I've noticed that Final Fantasy and, indeed, a lot of modern RPG's, really move away from being overly colourful in their attempt to make the world more realistic looking. As a huge fan of bold prints and colours, I just think it's a bit of a shame when things become too muted. It's a fantasy, you can have a little fun with colours! This is truly a minor nitpick though, I think what they went with does look great.

Will be looking forward to your next update!

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I do sort of wish Cloud's outfit was maybe a shade lighter than it is. I've noticed that Final Fantasy and, indeed, a lot of modern RPG's, really move away from being overly colourful in their attempt to make the world more realistic looking. As a huge fan of bold prints and colours, I just think it's a bit of a shame when things become too muted. It's a fantasy, you can have a little fun with colours! This is truly a minor nitpick though, I think what they went with does look great.
You see, people in real life don't wear bright colors ever. Ever.

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
You see, people in real life don't wear bright colors ever. Ever.

Bright clothing? Straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

As an aside, I've started wearing a lot of bright colours and prints lately and the amount of compliments I get on my clothes has shot up like crazy. I'm from Vancouver, so people's taste tends to be rather... Muted around here. Bought a consigned windbreaker from Gazzy last month, and it has gotten me more positive attention from strangers than probably any other piece of clothing I have ever owned. It makes me happy every time I put it on, so it's a real win-win for me!

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I'm really interested in what you'll think of Tifa. I think the black sports bra is actually a major aesthetic improvement; it makes the white of her tank top pop way more. Turning her pencil skirt into a pleated one with shorts/spats inside also just works way better in practice.

Aeris/Aerith! New
OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
🌸🌸🌸
Aerith
"Actually it's pronounced Aeriス"
latest
3lILrK6.png
Cloud and Barret look like soldiers 💪... Tifa is a barmaid brawler 🥊 ... And Aerith is a flower girl.🌸

That is: She's more of a normal girl. She's caring, she's sweet, she makes jokes, [she can sense when people die], and she lives the slum-life to the fullest. Aerith captures modern femininity through her design.

Despite some minor hangups, her look is completely iconic. The challenge over the years was taming it into a style that could be, er, a little more adaptable into real life (...mostly the hair) and modernized for current fashion trends.

HAIR

latest

'97 - First thing's first: Those bangs are HUUGE. The high bangs (where it spikes up then spikes back down) were big around the 90s [1], but Aerith and Sephiroth might have reached new heights in anime hair with this. That said, I don't hate it -- I love that her face is clear and easy to see. (I can hear my mum saying "get those bangs off your face so people can see your pretty eyes!"). Realistically speaking: It's strange, but I can't help but love it.

I do have a theory! Maybe this style is a version of voluminous 80's/90's styles that got more exaggerated the more it got adapted [2]. Internet detectives similarly pieced together how Case Closed 's Ran might have evolved into her characteristic HAIR SPIKE from a SWOOP! [3]... I'm not saying this is what's happened here, but it's the best I got. 🤷‍♀️ I think it's just 'cool 90s volume' cranked to an 11.

ZnTOSuF.png
[1]
29fOj8K.png
[2]
KDxQp8B.png
[3]

'20 - But the '97 hair just can't work in real life. Full stop. Cosplayers have [accurately!] tried, and it just isn't the same. Remake Aerith instead has THICK curtain bangs that evenly parts in the middle to frame her face (the intent is to have her bangs lead your eyes down to her lips 👄). The rest is mostly unchanged: A twist braid is done up by a pink ribbon, and medium-length curls fall along the sides of her ears. It's clean and pretty.

...So I got beef here.🐮 Her curly locks on the sides drive me nuts, especially during a few big scenes in Rebirth. It's odd when one part of her hairdo is curly while the rest looks straighter. it's weird seeing different curls on different lengths of hair, it makes her hair style look unfinished/messier than it should [4] – no one really styles their hair like this lol. In my opinion, her hair should be wavy all the way through.

Additionally, consistent curls would match Ifalna's hair better [5], and Aerith SHOULD be the wavy counterpart to Tifa's straight hair. But for my money, it's Aerith's Wall Market hair [2] and Amano designs [1] that do a better job incorporating more natural and realistic waves throughout her hair. In these artworks her side curls LOOK like REAL curls that taper off naturally (and look less like a chopped off braid that won't unravel [6]), I'd also argue it's more accurate to the intent of the PS1 game's design (even being more asymmetrical) [7].

So uh point is: "Hair Down Aerith" is better in Remake > Rebirth.

latest
latest
[1]
latest
2763b7fce1cb1fbda037206ab836c04bd3163220.gif
[2]
aerith-with-her-hair-down-art-by-pudelmudel-v0-BuESNCcGElrFVSURMnAEq3WQRijlfdisP3evft2UWOw.jpg
[3]

c1acc8aee82a63a86fce64e59fc609a318e34f81.gifv
[4]
main-qimg-aceea2f95a5e537af6305e3a0a001dcd-lq
[5]
624c6cdb8438ff836e84b83e425ff532.jpg
[6]
latest
[7]

It was always going to be hard working this style realistically. And even in Remake it still looks...very cartoony lol. 🧐 I don't expect people to share my hangup here, and really it's me splitting hairs over something I generally think looks beautiful, even if it's not especially realistic.

JACKET

'97 - I won't lie: I like this more. The metal sleeves are punk AF and it suits the Aeris who grew up in the Slums. I LOVE the big shoulders and the high-crop . Shoulder pads are sorta "in" these days, but only with specific "power looks" (i.e. it's more high fashion than common). But big shoulders were already going out of style in the 90s, and I think the reason they're used here is legit that "hero factor" it gives off: It makes you look assertive, bold, and it more shape and "architecture" to the garment!

Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you on shoulder pads, but here's an example to demonstrate the effect it has....
(...but it also kinda looks like she's shrugging lol)
kfNpKwp.gif
PmrrZrN.png

'20 - Now she has a more standard jean jacket with a relaxed fit, which suits her carefree attitude better and makes her look slender (especially now that her dress adds volume). The belt buckle sleeves make more sense than steel cuffs[!], and gold metals replace silver accents to keep things warm ('cause it's Tifa who gets silver accessories). I really love the brand new star studs on the shoulders.

Red jackets are always chic.

UZrEUbu.png

DRESS

I basically found exactly what she's wearing, and this look has been around for ages – you couldn't ask for a more modern (or girly) outfit. It's the perfect contrast: Those big chunky brown boots are perfectly complimented by a sweet feminine dress. It's cute and versatile – fashionable yet casual (...fasual 😎).

'97 - I LOVE the old dress; it was EVERYWHERE in the 90s. Funny enough, these frocks often had floral print, which Aeris forgoes for a solid dark pink colour. But I love the full buttoned-down dress, and the slit halfway up makes it just a little dishy. From movies I remembered Julia Gulia from The Wedding Singer wearing the full ensemble, and Marissa Tomei from Only You (George Costanza's favorite movie!) who's wearing the buttoned-down dress like Aeris has on.

'20 - This fluffier dress makes her look more like a country bumpkin. There's frills, lace, and a bow at the waist – I am imagine this was to soften her up. She's a gardener, she's hangs with kids, and her new dress better matches her fluffy and sweet personality (Tifa's already got the real estate for being "the sexy one", and Aerith looks really "va va voom" when her '97 dress is on a realistic model😳). Going from dark pink to a patterned light pink and white makes the dress brighter (literally, and figuratively it feels more innocent).

It's a little froufrou for my tastes, but I like it for her!

ACCESSORIES (SPOILER WARNING)

Cb4l1HU.png

Her '97 cuffs are now a set of 3 bracelets. A rose gold ring with florals on it (hmm), a silver one with small bolts on it (HMMM), and a plain yellow gold bracelet (hmm??). I think it's fine to take these bracelets at face value, but interpreting them is way more fun. I'm not sure what the '97 bracelet were going for, so this is a beautiful way to retool it while retaining the old shape/tiers/colours. This feels specific and personal.

The leather cord necklace is classic and modest. But the extra floral pendant in 2020s Aerith is a nice touch. You can buy it officially too (and like Yuna's necklace, I want them).

I think it's easy to see Aerith's design (and personality) as twee… and it kinda is, but at least they see through it pretty faithfully. Her outfit is so wonderfully normal, but an aspect of Aerith's appeal feels 'unreal' that the whole "world-saving florist with a heart of rose gold" just kinda works. 🌹

I realize this went on long...but I dunno... Whenever I look at Aerith through her many renditions, I think it's safe to say Square Enix have similarly laboured over designing her to be practically perfect.

...In part, I think, to make losing her that much harder.

TLDR;
1990s Aeris is cool and kicky.
2020s Aerith is fluffy and sweet

f26cdcce7991605606a7a8836c2feb16e9f14e27.gif

TOO LATE / 10

Other Odds and Ends
latest

Frog Aerith!! 😭 💕

707-1646646868-1349198096.png

A mod with Aerith's Advent Children attire (which is basically her '97 attire).
...It still suits her. :(

Brianna White does Aertith cosplay! She does such a great job voicing such an important and tricky character --- FF7 can be HARD material to work with. I feel it's easy to put on "soft airs" for such a passive girl, but Brianna finds a way to make Aerith sound natural, flexible, and at times adorkable.

dfkey6-7f804539-b118-4877-81cf-51c8ac7fc876.jpg

Remember Adella Cosplay? She was probably one of the earliest cosplayers to totally nail Aerith's look (and she's quite a beauty herself), but even with that…you can tell why the hairstyle had to change.

3pikLZg.png
LtKYhRJ.png

My phone wallpaper. ♥ (And here's a clean, slightly edited version if anyone wants it)

cJydHpu.png
HiVujMV.gif

Aerith's other looks....aren't great IMO. :/ The girl's consistent, but they're all just a little much. Her Ever Crisis bikini is the best one, but we got grandma's doily table cloth covering her up.

Last edited:

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
This thread has been great to read through, can't wait for the rest of the cast!

You touched on it briefly at the end of the Aerith post, but I'd also love to hear your thoughts on some more of the ever crisis costumes. For me, a lot of them are just pure wild, but occasionally there are a few that I would love to see as alt costume options in the main games.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
The denim jacket really does much to add just a little bit of edge and just a little bit of structure to an otherwise super dainty look. Also idk if I'd actually prefer it, but I've thought about it enough to share that I do wonder how it'd be if Remake Aerith's jacket is bigger and boxier. Maybe the proportions go wack, or maybe it'll add to Aerith's carefree air. Her look in general has echoes of dare I say Lemaire, though obviously much less impressing in its nonchalance.

On a personal note, Aerith and Madotsuki from Yume Nikki had me in a phase where I tried to incorporate their colors to my wardrobe lol. I ultimately did not end up going through with it, but I still appreciate it when I see it on mannequins and lookbooks. Genny and vaguely speaking Eckhaus Latta have such colors for FW24.

Corrupt

Shinra Employee
Oct 31, 2017
How have I never noticed the bandage under Cloud's gauntlet until this thread.

Last edited:

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I prefer Aerith's original dress more. There's a certain elegance to her movement in it that the flowy dress lacks. It would clip like hell in the game though, so I get why they had to change it. But everything else is great.

Edit: actually looking at the comparisons, I like her chunky bracelets more too lol.

335901.jpg

Her very first cg depiction was perfect

XFF72ZZZ21__03895.1686321963.jpg

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Dice nice job on this thread! I enjoy your breakdowns, they're always a fun read.

As a character designer myself, I think you get a little stuck on the "anime" look of things, it comes off as anime=bad in the way I read it even when its meant as a compliment, for example:

It's still a LITTLE silly (it's totally anime hair), but it does look great

Instead of assigning attributes to how anime something is or isnt, I think its more interesting to look at the game related reasons of why changes are being made. Its a deeper subject but remember that the original Cloud design, as drawn, had to fulfill a lot of roles since its the basis for 3 differently styled models (world exploration chibi, battle and CGI) which is why key features such as the hair are SO pointy, because it keeps the characters silhouette readable

15715840-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-typical-midgar-district-the-city-o.png

ae3cb914-c259-11ed-ab6b-02420a000194.webp

maxresdefault.jpg

Once you get into the remake side of things its perfectly normal to make the design fit the more realistic nature of the remakes art direction and, as you pointed out, soften the silhouette and I agree they did a great job. However, just to reiterate, they didn't fix the original design, it didn't need fixing. However it was adapted to fit the needs of their current game, and rather succesfully too, everyone looks great and they even fixed Cait Sith which is a small miracle.

Anyways, please dont take it as criticism, just something I noticed while reading your breakdown. Keep it up!

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I found this on reddit and it is canon now, I'm sorry

he was too weak to hold the bastard sword so he went to a doctor who used big massive bolts through his shoulder plate and his bones in order to upgrade his carry capacities xD

XD

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey Dice nice job on this thread! I enjoy your breakdowns, they're always a fun read.

As a character designer myself, I think you get a little stuck on the "anime" look of things, it comes off as anime=bad in the way I read it even when its meant as a compliment, for example:

Instead of assigning attributes to how anime something is or isnt, I think its more interesting to look at the game related reasons of why changes are being made. Its a deeper subject but remember that the original Cloud design, as drawn, had to fulfill a lot of roles since its the basis for 3 differently styled models (world exploration chibi, battle and CGI) which is why key features such as the hair are SO pointy, because it keeps the characters silhouette readable

15715840-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-typical-midgar-district-the-city-o.png

ae3cb914-c259-11ed-ab6b-02420a000194.webp

maxresdefault.jpg

Once you get into the remake side of things its perfectly normal to make the design fit the more realistic nature of the remakes art direction and, as you pointed out, soften the silhouette and I agree they did a great job. However, just to reiterate, they didn't fix the original design, it didn't need fixing. However it was adapted to fit the needs of their current game, and rather succesfully too, everyone looks great and they even fixed Cait Sith which is a small miracle.

Anyways, please dont take it as criticism, just something I noticed while reading your breakdown. Keep it up!

Eeeeh, I'm an artist too, and this is basically me trying to compartmentalize a lot of feelings I have between these ALL interpretations. I want to speak my mind, where on one hand I live for the artistic freedom to do virtually anything but I also have a weigh to think about designs in my head between their aesthetic, their purpose, and just overall impressions when I see and consider them as anime, as human, as game character, as icons, etc. (And again, I have no doubt Square Enix has similarly laboured over designing these characters; I basically see "unique/exciting character design" as part and parcel to their entire brand).

I won't apologize for thinking Cloud's hair looks extreme and shounen-y and dorky (it's just SO particularly designed lol), but I don't think it's bad at all -- hangups aside, I truly love it for being so unique and genuinely "cool" in a way that's hard to really explain exactly.

The "spikey-headed hero" is just the perfect anime archetype. I wouldn't take what I say too seriously outside that. I love anime, but it's always fun to see archetypes explored.

I found this on reddit and it is canon now, I'm sorry

XD

That's traumatizing, I love it.

I like how you approached the og design as Aeris and the Remake design as Aerith

I wasn't expecting this lmao Thanks for the morning laugh 🤣

Might as well, Aeris never got patched out even when "This guy are sick" did!

I prefer Aerith's original dress more. There's a certain elegance to her movement in it that the flowy dress lacks. It would clip like hell in the game though, so I get why they had to change it. But everything else is great.

Edit: actually looking at the comparisons, I like her chunky bracelets more too lol.

335901.jpg

Her very first cg depiction was perfect

XFF72ZZZ21__03895.1686321963.jpg

Bah I didn't even think about clipping. Cuz yeah, that's gonna be a big deal when making these models fer sure. Even the reskin of her AC dress, the dress sorta puffs out on all side when she runs... This is likely them all doing the best they could...but it makes you appreciate the limitations game designers are constantly fighting with. :/ 👍
707-1646646887-939057512.png
shein-maxi-dress-2-2.jpg

I'm really interested in what you'll think of Tifa. I think the black sports bra is actually a major aesthetic improvement; it makes the white of her tank top pop way more. Turning her pencil skirt into a pleated one with shorts/spats inside also just works way better in practice.

Literally all this is in my base notes. Her PS1 design feels so simple compared to all the new doodads she got. o.O

I love this thread idea! FFVI-VIII have some of my favourite character designs in video games, so it's cool to see someone analyze them so well.

Barrett's redesign really stood out to me as an excellent take on the original. As others have noted, the lack of hair texture is a bummer, but otherwise I love how they made him look realistically broad, the fit and cut of the pants and jacket, the colour scheme, the body hair... it all really looks great and fits who I envision him to be as a person. I can imagine him choosing each piece for both how it looks and its practical function to him. And the brown/green combo with the gun keeps it from being too plain or boring. It's such a huge improvement over what was happening in AC. Each element of AC's design I think is okay (I like a mesh top, so sue me!), but the way they're put together is gonna be a big no from me. I just don't think it suits Barrett's personality, though I'm not sure I have the language to explain why I feel that way.

Will be looking forward to your next update!

I really appreciate all you've said in your post! You say what I wanted to but even better.

This is sorta why I've been so disappointed in Remake's "costume" options. FF14 has glamours, Noctis had like 20 outfits in FF15, and freaking Ever Crisis gets a bunch of cool/goofy gacha outfits. :( I'd love Square Enix to play it up (I love dressing up my game characters!! 😭 🤣 lol)

Even dissidia was super cool about bringing back "olde design" skins, and I think that'd be fun to do here (I'd die to see modern Remake Cloud in indigo!!!) ... And of all places, the "super FF7 SERIES celebration that is FF7 Remake" should absolutely have it. :(
FZXHTFnX0A0n5_2.jpg:large

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeh, I'm an artist too, and this is basically me trying to compartmentalize a lot of feelings I have between these ALL interpretations. I want to speak my mind, where on one hand I live for the artistic freedom to do virtually anything but I also have a weigh to think about designs in my head between their aesthetic, their purpose, and just overall impressions when I see and consider them as anime, as human, as game character, as icons, etc. (And again, I have no doubt Square Enix has similarly laboured over designing these characters; I basically see "unique/exciting character design" as part and parcel to their entire brand).

I won't apologize for thinking Cloud's hair looks extreme and shounen-y and dorky (it's just SO particularly designed lol), but I don't think it's bad at all -- hangups aside, I truly love it for being so unique and genuinely "cool" in a way that's hard to really explain exactly.

The "spikey-headed hero" is just the perfect anime archetype. I wouldn't take what I say too seriously outside that. I love anime, but it's always fun to see archetypes explored.

That's traumatizing, I love it.

Might as well, Aeris never got patched out even when "This guy are sick" did!

Bah I didn't even think about clipping. Cuz yeah, that's gonna be a big deal when making these models fer sure. Even the reskin of her AC dress, the dress sorta puffs out on all side when she runs... This is likely them all doing the best they could...but it makes you appreciate the limitations game designers are constantly fighting with. :/ 👍
707-1646646887-939057512.png
shein-maxi-dress-2-2.jpg

Literally all this is in my base notes. Her PS1 design feels so simple compared to all the new doodads she got. o.O

I really appreciate all you've said in your post! You say what I wanted to but even better.

This is sorta why I've been so disappointed in Remake's "costume" options. FF14 has glamours, Noctis had like 20 outfits in FF15, and freaking Ever Crisis gets a bunch of cool/goofy gacha outfits. :( I'd love Square Enix to play it up (I love dressing up my game characters!! 😭 🤣 lol)

Even dissidia was super cool about bringing back "olde design" skins, and I think that'd be fun to do here (I'd die to see modern Remake Cloud in indigo!!!) ... And of all places, the "super FF7 SERIES celebration that is FF7 Remake" should absolutely have it. :(
FZXHTFnX0A0n5_2.jpg:large

I realize we haven't gotten to Tifa yet, and this will be a bit of a footnote when we do, but god damn her AC look was/is such a great look. Of all the characters, her updated looks might be my favorite of the bunch.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Great read on Aerith! Keep it up I'm really enjoying this thread.

You cracked me up with the "va va voom" Crisis Core callout 🤣 I watched the ending of that again like two days ago and had the same thought "Whoa, since when was Aerith so…. Hm."

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My only issue with Clouds design in Remake and other modern entries is his pants not being tapered like the original. I think it just looks far better than the straight baggy pants. If they were to just tighten up the pants around is calves it would be 10/10. As is its a 9.8

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with Clouds design in Remake and other modern entries is his pants not being tapered like the original. I think it just looks far better than the straight baggy pants. If they were to just tighten up the pants around is calves it would be 10/10. As is its a 9.8

Literally my only issue with Cloud's design in Remake as well lol. His pants are huge at the bottom and make his proportions look kinda strange, especially when his sword isn't glued to his back.

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

No, you rule 👈 😎 👈*fingerguns

How have I never noticed the bandage under Cloud's gauntlet until this thread.

Honestly the best kinda comment.
Thanks for reading!

This thread has been great to read through, can't wait for the rest of the cast!

You touched on it briefly at the end of the Aerith post, but I'd also love to hear your thoughts on some more of the ever crisis costumes. For me, a lot of them are just pure wild, but occasionally there are a few that I would love to see as alt costume options in the main games.

I actually want to cover the EC outfits for here and the X-2 Dressphere's for my FF10 topic.
Just...time.

Yeah they really just didn't try to do much there.

Not sure if this is a good or bad time to mention the WAY better BIPOC rep in Rebirth.
sddefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
thumb_430843_post_big.jpg

img_9573.JPG
img_9575.JPG

ff7-rebirth-costa-del-sol-costa-del-armor-dancer-duo.jpg
cloud-is-speaking-to-naomi-ff-7-rebirth-ff-7-rebirth.jpg

Myrna got a SERIOUS makeover since her PS1 appearance:
myrna-wallace.jpg

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
No, you rule 👈 😎 👈*fingerguns

Honestly the best kinda comment.
Thanks for reading!

I actually want to cover the EC outfits for here and the X-2 Dressphere's for my FF10 topic.
Just...time.

Yeah they really just didn't try to do much there.

Not sure if this is a good or bad time to mention the WAY better BIPOC rep in Rebirth. The sorta rough comment about the subject were really just behind us.
sddefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
thumb_430843_post_big.jpg

img_9573.JPG
img_9575.JPG

ff7-rebirth-costa-del-sol-costa-del-armor-dancer-duo.jpg
cloud-is-speaking-to-naomi-ff-7-rebirth-ff-7-rebirth.jpg

Myrna got a SERIOUS makeover since her PS1 appearance:
myrna-wallace.jpg
Yeah the diversity (of NPCs at least) is definitely worth applauding and just compounds how disappointing FF16 was in that regard.

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah the diversity (of NPCs at least) is definitely worth applauding and just compounds how disappointing FF16 was in that regard.

Seriously! That whole situation was less than a year ago and Rebirth goes and corrects course basically right away. Happy to see it, SE!

www.resetera.com

[The Verge] Final Fantasy XVI’s lack of diverse characters makes a huge world feel small Square Enix

Something that stood out to me in the article is how Ash views Hugo as a person of color. This was a pretty contested topic here on Era as well as other places like Reddit, & even I was holding out hope in this regard. My hopes weren't just because of his voice actors being half-Nigerian, but...

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
Seriously! That whole situation was less than a year ago and Rebirth goes and corrects course basically right away. Happy to see it, SE!

www.resetera.com

[The Verge] Final Fantasy XVI’s lack of diverse characters makes a huge world feel small Square Enix

Something that stood out to me in the article is how Ash views Hugo as a person of color. This was a pretty contested topic here on Era as well as other places like Reddit, & even I was holding out hope in this regard. My hopes weren't just because of his voice actors being half-Nigerian, but...

I also really liked this. Also female NPC's of various body types and ages that are treated with respect in their various roles! And rarely sexualized! Who would have thought! Doesn't fall so in line with the visuals, but I was delighted when I realized multiple background characters seemed to be in queer romantic relationships as well. Not just like... one hidden conversation in one town, but multiple cases of it cropping up in the world. One of the protagonists being an openly gay man in a relationship was one of the few things I liked in XVI, so the representation isn't necessarily better here, but still. I was happy to see it. I was seriously rooting for the female NPC in Crow's Nest who was like... "What if we date though?" GIRL GET IT.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this is a pretty fun thread to read. looking forward to the next characters.

i started playing FF with Remake so i never really experienced the original back when it was new. only really got to see it now that it is old so it's nice to see the designs going head to head.

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
I, too, amn not satisfied with Aerith's hair design. I was frequently distracted in scenes by how the curls sat in the front. They look like they should be loose braids the way they sit, but there's no tie at the bottom of them.... and why would you have two random braids PLUS bangs PLUS big braid down the back. It just makes no sense to me. I don't know why this bugs me so much when we've got hair like Cloud's, but his weirdly feels texturally consistent at least.

The outfit is nice, but definitely less iconic than the original. Unlike Barrett's, where I think all the elements survived but were enhanced, this look goes ever so slightly too far in the sweet direction and totally undercuts that bit of edge. I liked your breakdown of the differences. I didn't even think about the loss of the power shoulders or the metal bits on the jacket arms, just had a sense that it felt more frou-frou than the origianl. Looking at them side by side, it makes sense they'd change it, but I do wish they'd given either the jacket or dress a bolder shape to keep that tiny bit of edge.

I kind of like Aerith's swimsuits in Rebirth. Certainly better than Tifa's, anyway. They're not my taste, but they look like things she'd wear to me. Sort of elegant, sort of tacky; flattering but not overtly sexy. I envision Aerith as someone who would like dressing up if given the chance to go on a vacation. She's so playful and I think all the ruffles and flower prints feel like they convey that to me. Maybe kind of overwrought, but I didn't think they were so bad. Then again, maybe I just hated Tifa's so much I'm being overly generous XD

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Dope thread for dope threads. One question, are you only going to be doing the main characters? Because I'd love to see you tackle Rufus Shinra's whole... situation.

latest

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I, too, amn not satisfied with Aerith's hair design. I was frequently distracted in scenes by how the curls sat in the front. They look like they should be loose braids the way they sit, but there's no tie at the bottom of them.... and why would you have two random braids PLUS bangs PLUS big braid down the back. It just makes no sense to me. I don't know why this bugs me so much when we've got hair like Cloud's, but his weirdly feels texturally consistent at least.

The outfit is nice, but definitely less iconic than the original. Unlike Barrett's, where I think all the elements survived but were enhanced, this look goes ever so slightly too far in the sweet direction and totally undercuts that bit of edge. I liked your breakdown of the differences. I didn't even think about the loss of the power shoulders or the metal bits on the jacket arms, just had a sense that it felt more frou-frou than the origianl. Looking at them side by side, it makes sense they'd change it, but I do wish they'd given either the jacket or dress a bolder shape to keep that tiny bit of edge.

I kind of like Aerith's swimsuits in Rebirth. Certainly better than Tifa's, anyway. They're not my taste, but they look like things she'd wear to me. Sort of elegant, sort of tacky; flattering but not overtly sexy. I envision Aerith as someone who would like dressing up if given the chance to go on a vacation. She's so playful and I think all the ruffles and flower prints feel like they convey that to me. Maybe kind of overwrought, but I didn't think they were so bad. Then again, maybe I just hated Tifa's so much I'm being overly generous XD

Thank you 🥲 Like Aerith is 200% pretty, but I can't help but myself in her shoes when styling that hair haha
RinUfAD.png

And yeah... Both designs for her I really like, but they're channeling different vibes -- and vibe is more the sleeker '97 look. Funny enough her Ever Crisis Portrait goes for a slightly different look as well I see: more of a puffy shoulder jacket. ... I think I liek that they play with her look a bit now lol
img_thumb_ch004_001_detail.png
81jF-uLr8GL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Which relates to the other thing: I appreciate the added perspective on the swimsuits. It's true, I might not like it, but it definitely seems more keeping with what she'd gravitate to. I think it looks a LITTLE childish, but Aertih's got that chilk-like innocence brain.

Dope thread for dope threads. One question, are you only going to be doing the main characters? Because I'd love to see you tackle Rufus Shinra's whole... situation.

latest

I'm stealing that first line, but thank you for the compliment haha
AND YES. I'd love to. I 1000% have thoughts on these outfits. 🤣

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I do think Rufus is improved, but I also think he's still a victim of some of Nomura's worst design fetishes lol.

shivalice

Sep 24, 2023
See I would have written paragraphs explaining exactly this....

I laughed 😅

I will be on pins and needles waiting to hear your take on Rufus' outfits someday. I'm weirdly into his original look if you just take out the odd long... skirt (?????? is that what it is???).... and when I first saw his re-design, I was so not into it. But now............... I dunno. Each piece is ridiculous, but all together, I kinda live 🤣

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Between the brighter shade of pink for the dress and the random metal sleeve cuffs (didn't even notice those until now), I think I prefer OG Aerith for embodying the sweet flower girl who may or may not threaten actual physical damage to your crotch vibe. A very succinct vibe if I do say so.

I don't expect people to share my hangup here, and really it's me splitting hairs over something I generally think looks beautiful, even if it's not especially realistic.
hmm-suspect.gif

OP
OP
Dice

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Between the brighter shade of pink for the dress and the random metal sleeve cuffs (didn't even notice those until now), I think I prefer OG Aerith for embodying the sweet flower girl who may or may not threaten actual physical damage to your crotch vibe. A very succinct vibe if I do say so.

hmm-suspect.gif

I mean, I don't "love" Fry's hair either, but in the sense that I think it's perfect for a sci-fi comedy. x)
I really wanna try his overclock ability by drinking 100 cups of coffee, I need that kinda boost.
LcnXI7.gif

PS: Love the new avatar. :P

but that's because I have redesign thread envy now.

Please don't. These are more laborious than I actually want them to be, the fact yours were usually limited to a single paragraph IS the gift.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Aerith <33333

Would also like to see you do some of the villains and not just the main cast!

If you do Seph and Rufus, can you just…put some nice closeups of their faces? Thank you 😇

Someone at SE really lovingly modelled Rufus' face in particular lol.