• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
A few days ago, I was swinging around in Miles Morales when I felt the R2 snap and immediately become looser. It was as if whatever was causing the trigger to "resist" broke, causing it to go back to being a regular, non-adaptive trigger.

Now, considering that I have less than 50 hours of playtime on the PS5 and have always taken good care of my devices, this was unexpected, to say the least. So, I started researching to see how widespread this issue was. And I'd say it's pretty widespread.

Those are results from Reddit alone, as they come from the users themselves. Some other forums already have dedicated threads to the problem (which seems to affect mostly the R2), MOD EDIT: Tweet removed

According to some, it's an issue with a spring that becomes dislodged. Those curious (and brave) enough can try disassembling the DS and fixing the device on their own. I recommend watching this video, from the excellent channel TronicsFix, to give you an idea of what the internals of the controller look like (he talks about and shows the adaptive trigger starting at 9:12, if the timestamp doesn't work).

Myself, I just contacted PlayStation Support to request a replacement, as it's still well under warranty (and opening the device would void it, where I live - not all countries have decent consumer laws). You don't have to send your entire system to Sony, only the defective controller. The "repair" process can take between seven to 10 days, with another five for shipping, according to the agent. They should send you an email requesting proof of purchase, and a follow-up message with a pre-paid shipping code valid for up to 30 days, which you just present at the post office (these steps may vary depending on your country/region).

Since I already had someone on the phone, I asked if other people had reached out to support about the same issue, as there was a considerable number of reports online. The agent replied that "a few" users were calling them about problems with their DualSense controllers. My anecdotal evidence of that being related to the trigger is that the agent asked if it had become "loose" as soon as I said that there was a problem with it. I'd only mentioned that I'd heard a snap and that the trigger was not working properly afterwards. Take that as you will.

What about you? Have you experienced any issues with your DualSense, especially with the R2?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Zero issues with my Dualsense, and I've put a ton of hours in Miles Morales and WRC9 (two of the games with the most trigger resistance, IMO).

Deleted member 75738

User-requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Not really, mine are still holding up pretty well after a pretty much decent time spent playing.

The main issue when i thought they broke was R2 trigger playing Valhalla, i thought that it broke, but it turns out that Ubisoft included resistance while shooting with the bow in an update and i was totally oblivious.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
How can they launch device thats becomes faulty so soon? Dont they test the controller for hundreds of hours or somethimg?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That was my number one worry when they were announced. I'm pretty careful and weaken my grip once the resistance activates but I'm worried they'll wear out eventually regardless of how careful you are.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
That's why I stocked up and got now 4 controllers in total. Just in case. You never know. Last thing i want it to be without one. So far, all seem ok and none feels like falling apart anytime soon.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I'm safe so far, but I've been a bit afraid of this. I'm somewhat happy it's happening with the spring and not the teeth of the gear.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
My right trigger is squeaking which is pretty annoying. I can fix it temporarily by grabbing the controller really hard.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I have two DualSense controllers and on both of them I can feel there's a notable difference in base tension between the left and right triggers. Not sure if intentional, but it doesn't feel too good that the right trigger is much easier to press down.

They're still much smoother so far than my new DS4 - you could feel the trigger flimsiness on those from the start - but we'll see how long they last...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
My main controller (over 100hrs) is loud as hell now but it still fully works, my second controller (around 10 hrs) which gets nowhere near as much use is fine. I'll send it in for warranty when the time comes.

I enjoy the features enough that I'll accept the extra points of failure.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Uh oh
I hope this is not the next joy con drift
Complete with like half the people who own the controller/console experiencing no issues whatsoever

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
I had similar issue last night. My R2 became much more sensitive.. it works fine but as soon as you rest your finger on it the game registers a press so it feels like you are shooting around like a crazy person

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was my biggest fear with this controller. Hope Sony replaces them for folks and revises the hardware if it really is widespread.

No issues here yet, probably put about 100 hours into the console altogether.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to hear, mine is holding up well even playing games like Fifa 21, Astrobot and both Spiderman games (Miles and Remastered) which all use them to varying degrees. At the very least it hasn't been as apparent an issue as the rubber on the sticks were for me with the DS4 at launch. Knock on wood I don't have the number of issues into the future I had with both DS4 and the Switch Joycon over time. Also, hope these are covered by warranty for folks having issues already?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
No issues with mine. Granted Astro was really the only game I've played at far that used R2 very much and it's a pretty short game.

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
How can they launch device thats becomes falty so soon? Dont they test the controller for hundreds of hours or somethimg?
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. If not, why would you assume anything that is mass produced doesn't have a bad item here and there?

I hate this new world we've been living in. Either things are the best ever or worst ever and anything that doesn't work for even less than 1% of the people using it is the fault of design or poor testing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My R2 is very slightly looser than my L2, but it's really not noticeable while playing and the adaptative stuff works well.

But yeah the PS5 release has been kind of a mess launch wise, between this, the coil wine and the vibration sounds with one type of fan, the crashes...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I have two and I anticipate problems with both, but they are working well now. Sony has a poor history with their controllers and I anticipate the same with DualSence.

I had stick drift on 3 PS4 controllers. I made sure to get a warranty with my PS5 controllers.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm starting to see more posts/comments in various places about this yeah. I'm worried how things will be holding up after a year or two of use...

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh look another PS5 internet scare story like all the ones about basic system functions bricking consoles. There are people too scared to use rest mode even now because of stuff they read online. We're going to have people babying their controllers now lol.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How can they launch device thats becomes faulty so soon? Dont they test the controller for hundreds of hours or somethimg?

All devices have a certain failure rate. I doubt this is any worse than the rubber sticks falling apart on launch DS4. Ultimately you cannot mass produce millions of controllers without some failure rate. Heck I just got my Elite Series 2 back for a stick drift repair. It happens.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had any issues and have been playing a lot of trigger heavy games, though, Miles Morales and Astrobot are the only two that have had any sort of real strong resistance features.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
A few days ago, I was swinging around in Miles Morales when I felt the R2 snap and immediately become looser. It was as if whatever was causing the trigger to "resist" broke, causing it to go back to being a regular, non-adaptive trigger.

Now, considering that I have less than 50 hours of playtime on the PS5 and have always taken good care of my devices, this was unexpected, to say the least. So, I started researching to see how widespread this issue was. And I'd say it's pretty widespread.

Those are results from Reddit alone, as they come from the users themselves. Some other forums already have dedicated threads to the problem (which seems to affect mostly the R2), MOD EDIT: Tweet removed

According to some, it's an issue with a spring that becomes dislodged. Those curious (and brave) enough can try disassembling the DS and fixing the device on their own. I recommend watching this video, from the excellent channel TronicsFix, to give you an idea of what the internals of the controller look like (he talks about and shows the adaptive trigger starting at 9:12, if the timestamp doesn't work).

Myself, I just contacted PlayStation Support to request a replacement, as it's still well under warranty (and opening the device would void it, where I live - not all countries have decent consumer laws). You don't have to send your entire system to Sony, only the defective controller. The "repair" process can take between seven to 10 days, with another five for shipping, according to the agent. They should send you an email requesting proof of purchase, and a follow-up message with a pre-paid shipping code valid for up to 30 days, which you just present at the post office (these steps may vary depending on your country/region).

Since I already had someone on the phone, I asked if other people had reached out to support about the same issue, as there was a considerable number of reports online. The agent replied that "a few" users were calling them about problems with their DualSense controllers. My anecdotal evidence of that being related to the trigger is that the agent asked if it had become "loose" as soon as I said that there was a problem with it. I'd only mentioned that I'd heard a snap and that the trigger was not working properly afterwards. Take that as you will.

What about you? Have you experienced any issues with your DualSense, especially with the R2?
I have the exactly same problem! My R2 is loose. I had to adjust the deadzone of the trigger on DS4Windows to evade inputs by itself. I simply cannot successfuly speak with someone on SONY consumer support. Im in Brazil, and the service is just awful. Its a damn shame because I really liked the controller.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Platinumed Astro and finished Spider-Man Remastered and its DLC last night, so far so good, DualSense is working perfectly.

I'll start Demon's Souls tonight.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cycling 2 controllers (use controller 1 from dock a, move controller 2 from dock b to dock a, redock controller 1 to dock b when done playing) and no problems on either.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mine is fine but I accidentally hit it all the time and execute a special in assassin's creed.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
My packed in dual sense R2 snapped pretty fast as described. But the extra controller I bought has been fine.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the thread title/OP should be changed to something less absurdly hyperbolic? I know that gets less clicks though...

Doesn't seem particularly widespread, but it's not surprising that you can break the controller or that there are a few defective units. I mean, it's a controller. It could be worse, like the rubber issue on launch DS4s lol.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
im rotating 2, they feel great so far and almost constantly used.
but yeah this will be something to watch for long term for sure.

Mr.Flufferson

Oct 25, 2017
My right trigger is only slightly messed up. Everything still works mostly fine but the gun in astro will shoot before I push through the resistance. I want to try and get it replaced but since it still works pretty much fine I don't want to be a pain.