• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So the controller doesn't even turn on when I use this thing?
It will actually make the controller put itself back in its package and return itself to the store.

On topic: I hope I can find of these here soon, would really like to try it out and see how quickly I can adjust to using paddles.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Is there perhaps a mini list or video that shows the different advantages with each game?

I would mainly be interested in this for FFXIV and MHW, both games that would theoretically benefit from extra buttons.
It's not extra buttons, Just mapping existing buttons to the paddles (IE: putting X and O on the 2 back paddles)

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Any word on touchpad clicks? The touchpad is not supported when using Remote Play on iPad or Android devices.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice reviews. I wasn't interested in this, but I am now that I read the reviews and saw some posters here talk about its uses.

I will more likely map L3 and R3. Will be happy to never have to click sticks again.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going to get this to eyeball the screen in person and get a peek at what the PS5 controller touchpad could look like.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm actually amused at the thought that this might not interfere with the buttons on my modded controller and would end up giving me 6 back buttons.

You can have extra combinations though, right? Like L1+L2 or whatever mapped to a single paddle.
No, it's a 1:1 to act as the button you assign to it. No macros, no combinations.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Pre-ordered mine. I am gonna be setting it for:

- Grenades and sprinting in Apex Legends
- Scanning and sprinting in No Man's Sky
- Maybe reload in Red Dead Redemption 2 so I can stop messing up my ◻ button muscle memory for other games...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The official charging dock uses the bottom port to charge the controllers (which is a very good). I imagine as this add-on uses the same port you'd need to unplug it to charge, unless there's a pass-through I haven't noticed on it.
Didn't know you were talking about the charging dock, sorry. Yeah, looks like you do have to remove it for that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
In what kind of situations/games do people use this? I'm not sure on what I'd use it..

I have three different configs saved on my Elite controller and they're all just different combinations of the four face buttons.

For example, my standard action game setup is X and square on the top two paddles (so jump and reload in 99% of games). They're constantly getting hit and I never have to take my thumbs off of the sticks anymore. I can jump or reload while running and turning. Being able to hop around while still controlling every axis of movement is massive. I have triangle and circle on the lower two paddles (switch weapon and crouch in most games). Same reasons.

My Gears setup has the four d-pad buttons (which is a weapon select) on the four paddles. So I can switch to specific weapons (which you're doing all of the time in Gears during firefights) without having to reach across to the d-pad with my left thumb while I should be moving and dodging.

Basically, every use is so that your thumbs never have to leave the sticks. Particularly in multiplayer environments that's massive. Once you've got used to it you'll never want to go paddle-less. At this point I just use them for the four face buttons in every game. It's not even a tactical thing (especially if I'm playing a slower, single player game). It's just normal to me. I'm playing Uncharted at the moment and rolling everywhere with my bottom right paddle and jumping everywhere with the top right. Feels weird using face buttons now.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
In what kind of situations/games do people use this? I'm not sure on what I'd use it..
lot of games use dpad for gear/usables items /abilities. In BF1 i use paddles for the gear of each class (dpad left and right). In fast action situations, i don't have to take away my left thumb.
Or in fallen order where the stim (health) is dpad up and in boss fights, using stim while keeping thimb on stick is an advantage. and so on. others use L3/R3 with the paddles. really depends in the game.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a similar adapter with four paddles and compatibility with PS3 and Switch from Brook (as shown by MyMateVince), but may still get this for easy profile change, especially at this price.
Btw the P4 works great for anyone looking for four back buttons.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like any reviews have said what can be mapped but here you go:
L1, R1, L2, R2, Left, Right, Up, Down, Square, Triangle, Circle, X, L3, R3, Options, Null

No touch pad, no share button.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I'm playing Days Gone right now and my worst enemy when fighting a horde is having to let go of the joystick to heal. Not possible with those fast fuckers so this device sounds really good.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mine got backordered from amazon or something. New ship date is like almost March :(
Mine got backordered from amazon or something. New ship date is like almost March :(
What up with Amazon shipping in Feb?
I swear I got in on a pre-order the second it was available on Amazon :/
Hopefully they change the date at some point.

In my experience Amazon normally provides an accurate date closer to release, but we'll see. Mine was set for feb as well.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Can you still charge the DS4 with these plugged in or do you have to unplug them first?

I'm assuming it'll be a slight inconvenience if you use a charging dock.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hate paddles because im fidgety and always accidentally hit them so this seems much better for me!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Do the buttons have to be mapped to existing buttons or is there support for them being standalone new buttons? That would be helpful for PC use and I assume may be how these buttons may operate on PS5.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do the buttons have to be mapped to existing buttons or is there support for them being standalone new buttons? That would be helpful for PC use and I assume may be how these buttons may operate on PS5.

There are two paddles and they may each be mapped to one of:

R1, L2, R2, Left, Right, Up, Down, Square, Triangle, Circle, X, L3, R3, Options

or they can be mapped to "null" which is no button at all.

They are not new buttons. They cannot be mapped to multi-button presses or macros.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The official charging dock uses the bottom port to charge the controllers (which is a very good). I imagine as this add-on uses the same port you'd need to unplug it to charge, unless there's a pass-through I haven't noticed on it.

As someone who has the same thing, I hope you could still charge without removing, but going to assume it's not going to be viable. I did notice it does have pass through though at least.

Jan 21, 2019
Ate we thinking this is likely to help compatibity with PS5 controllers which may have paddles if that leaked design sepc thing is to be believed?
1000000 this. There is no other reason to release something like this this late into the life cycle when they never bothered with controllers (no real Elite PS4 controller just licensed 3rd party) throughout the consoles life.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Existing buttons. It's going to be interesting to see how it interacts with Steam Input. Best case would allow you to map something like X to the paddle/grip, and reconfigure the face button to be something completely different.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
This is where Sony can steal a march on Microsoft. MS can't really bring Elite functions to their standard controller as they won't want to harm sales of said Elite controller. Sony have no such worries and should put as much of the Elite functionality into a standard controller that is financially viable.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
This is where Sony can steal a march on Microsoft. MS can't really bring Elite functions to their standard controller as they won't want to harm sales of said Elite controller. Sony have no such worries and should put as much of the Elite functionality into a standard controller that is financially viable.
I'd much rather than make a competitor for the Elite. 2 back paddles is kinda shitty for me personally because unless I can map every face button to a paddle, it's not really improving many shooters.

Also it looks like Amazon US removed the ability to pre-order one. Those reviews must have spurred on a ton of purchases.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I've been using a similar adapter with four paddles and compatibility with PS3 and Switch from Brook (as shown by MyMateVince), but may still get this for easy profile change, especially at this price.
Btw the P4 works great for anyone looking for four back buttons.

This actually looks pretty interesting as an alternative. Although the site for the adapter seems to suggest that it only supports what I want (touchpad click) for PS4 use only, and that it doesn't support motion control / gyro for PC(dunno why it wouldn't allow that though).

Would you happen to know if you could still use gyro with it on PC (like through Steam games) or if you can actually bind the touchpad or not?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does the grip feel for people with giant hands. I've been able to manage with the PS4 controller but was wondering if it shortened the overall grip on the controller. It's hard to tell in pictures

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Existing buttons. It's going to be interesting to see how it interacts with Steam Input. Best case would allow you to map something like X to the paddle/grip, and reconfigure the face button to be something completely different.

I don't know that there will even be any way for Steam to tell the difference between this attachment and just normally clicking buttons on a DS4, but maybe your suggestion could be of some use depending on the game. Although if you change the function of ABXY, wouldn't paddles technically switch to that anyway?

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Take a look at Target's website. Release date = January 19th, aka this Sunday. And if you look at Brickseek they are in stock at a lot of Targets now. Seems like he easiest way to get one of these soon is to hit up a Target on Sunday morning. Or stop by one of the stores that is showing it in stock and see if they'll sell it.

I assume not since the website is showing that release date and only Preorder right now, but someone who has more experience shopping there might be able to comment. It seems to me since it's not a game it would be a little odd to enforce a street date, but then again they do enforce street date for consoles so maybe they will...

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Take a look at Target's website. Release date = January 19th, aka this Sunday. And if you look at Brickseek they are in stock at a lot of Targets now. Seems like he easiest way to get one of these soon is to hit up a Target on Sunday morning. Or stop by one of the stores that is showing it in stock and see if they'll sell it.

I assume not since the website is showing that release date and only Preorder right now, but someone who has more experience shopping there might be able to comment. It seems to me since it's not a game it would be a little odd to enforce a street date, but then again they do enforce street date for consoles so maybe they will...
You gonna report back? Nearest target to me is 25-30 minutes on a good day, but I'll make that drive if they're dropping early.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd much rather than make a competitor for the Elite. 2 back paddles is kinda shitty for me personally because unless I can map every face button to a paddle, it's not really improving many shooters.
Most people aren't going to buy a $180 controller, but can afford a $30 add-on or a controller with two paddles built-in standard.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot more that goes into the elite controller than just paddles. I only use the paddles for a few games but bought an adapter just to be able to use it on PS4 too. This is a great accessory from Sony though, i'll probably pick one up.

If you don't mind sharing, what brand of adapter did you purchase, and has it been flawless or without any major problems?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017

so far I've only use my strikeforce mainly for call of duty, 1 paddle is Square, the other is X. So I can reload, jump, open doors/interact. Without ever taking my thumbs off the the thumbsticks(alowing me to always be aiming or headed in the direction I want at all times). Only time I need to do that now is to swap weapons.