Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/13/flash_oversupply_analysis/

Analysis A flash price crash is coming and should increase disk cannibalization rates as SSDs become more affordable.

Objective Analysis' Jim Handy, speaking at last week's Flash Memory Summit, confirmed we are in a flash over-supply situation, and there will be a downward pricing correction, if not collapse, close to the production cost of 64-layer 3D NAND, meaning $0.08/GB in 2019. Handy characterized it as the largest-ever price correction in the history of semiconductor products.
Wells Fargo senior analyst Aaron Rakers, using IDC and DRAMeXchange data, estimated total NAND flash pricing stands today at ~$0.30/GB. Rakers noted Objective Analysis expects a 45 per cent per annum growth in NAND flash capacity shipped.
Some 70 per cent of total industry flash is 3D NAND, with the remainder the older 2D or planar NAND. Handy believed this manufacturing capacity could be migrated to making DRAM instead – and warned this could result in DRAM capacity over-supply in the future.

Maybe I picked a bad time to buy a new samsung M.2 drive.

This is going to be insane.

You get a SSD! You get a SSD! You're all getting SSD!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZHmDaFT.png

RAM next?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Yooooo I'm gonna get a huge SSD. Mine always runs out of space and it's cost prohibitive to get a bigger one when I can just delete a bunch of games from my PC every month.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Piece parts is such a weird market, it can swing from damn near giving shit away to asking for folk's soul and their first born.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
boi here we go I could use this

also at least RAM isn't as batshit insane as it was when I was doing my build

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I need a 1TB SSD for windows as my 500GB is almost full. Bring on the price crash.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, would love to put an SSD into my rarely used laptop in hopes that it will convince me to use it more (it is very slow compared to my desktop).

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the time to finally drop HDD all together is almost upon me? I'll be so glad to get the last remaining one out of my pc

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just got a 1tb m.2 earlier in the year as my boot drive replacement, damn. It was at a decent price at the time though. I could always use another. I have another 500gb SSD and then a 1tb HDD and 3tb HDD. So I'm pretty good for space right now. What I really need to upgrade is my RAM though, been waiting years now for prices to come down so I can upgrade to 32gb, so here's hoping that sees some drops.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
That's still more than mechanical drives which are like .05/GB

Nice to see prices continue to drop though.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesss give me a cheap 1tb drive. SSDs are amazing but my 500gb only holds like fewer than 10 modern games at a time.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a 250GB for my OS and key programs on my PC. If this drops significantly I'll get a 1TB for more space on my PC and 1TB for my PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lame. Just bought a 500 gig w2 blue for $90 and I've already seen nvmes hitting that a week later.

Oh well, wasn't going to use it as boot in my laptop anyway. Just needed some more space. But yeah even the TB drives are hitting just over $100. Might return it and go for one of those.

Techno