• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is important to do, so you can see just how valued you and your coworkers are, but also how valued certain careers are. Granted, I'm in a teacher's union and my contract and salary are public information. I hate the stigma about not sharing how much you make, it only serves the interests of corporations and not people.

Oct 25, 2017
I know these are journalists but I'm really curious how the "influencer" corner of food media and other media get paid enough to show the lifestyles they have on instagram. like are they spending their whole paycheck to travel and take pics at hotels and restaurants?

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
The only media personality salary I want to hear about is Pat Kiernan, and whatever it is he's underpaid.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could live in SF or really anywhere in the Bay on under $100K a year.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing and awkward:

Video games marketing/PR folks make 2-3x what video game journalists make.

edit: maybe it varies more than I realize.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I know these are journalists but I'm really curious how the "influencer" corner of food media and other media get paid enough to show the lifestyles they have on instagram. like are they spending their whole paycheck to travel and take pics at hotels and restaurants?

Most of them are in extreme debt, a lot of the brand money has dried up, and what they receive per post is fairly low (overall market - some command large prices). Others are accepting gifts and not reporting them on their taxes. Few are properly disclosing paid or compensated elements like they are supposed to with FTC guidelines. The whole market there is shady and a wreck.

I've worked in media and marketing pretty much my whole life, I understand a lot of the economics behind this stuff - most of the influencer stuff is projection of wealth and deep debt.

In terms of these salaries in media, a lot of you are not looking at cost of living, some people can earn $45-$55k and do really well when living from a smaller market. It's not going to fly in a major city... but when you're younger, you often are willing to make the sacrifice - doesn't mean people shouldn't be paid more, but most understand the trade off.

Anyone from IGN chime in? They're the 800 pound gorilla in the space, right?
Worked under one of their acquired sites, only officially IGN Entertainment, so can't speak to the site proper... but I was $52k as a managing editor in 2011-2012

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has a journalism degree and works retail because of it, what did you end up doing?

I graduated a ~decade ago, but at the time?

Spent about six months working a dead-end retail job (though it wasn't AWFUL cause I had been there for a few years while in college) paying ~$9/hr (which was a lot more than the $7 min wage of the time).

Spent about three months moping.

Spent the whole time getting bummed out about job options and opportunities. Ridiculous requirements for entry level. Almost nobody even offered me an interview because I wasn't able to take unpaid internships in college. Got pretty bummy even though I knew this is what was going to happen. Re-set my mental state, and just carpet bombed resume's to anyone and everyone who I thought would pay decent... figured if I wasn't gonna do what I love, I may as well extract as much money as possible.

Eventually landed an IT consulting gig - deploying proprietary software. It paid ~40% more than any journalism job I was looking at. I got to travel a bunch on a company dime. More I traveled, more I could save by living off per diem. A decade later I've moved up a lot. I didn't adore that job, but it opened a whole lot of opportunities with hard work and perseverance and luck.

Good luck, for sure! It's rough out there. If you can't find a job you love, my recommendation would be to just chase money for now.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, many people may not know this but legally (in the US), a company cannot prohibit you from discussing anything salary related.

They can't, but the higher paid people are disincentivized from doing so.

I've heard of people who do well being told directly not to share how much they're getting, because not everyone can make what they make.

And then you won't share with others because you want to continue your own good fortune.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously that is meant relating to similar jobs in similar locations.

90% of Americans are not the head of the games journalism department at VICE.
I really don't know enough about salaries for games journalists and editors to comment about that.

But it's hard to compare these things because one company might make significantly less revenue than the next.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

I had an offer for $31,500 in 2012. I had to move. There was no relocation assistance. I talked with two of my peers who had gotten jobs a couple years earlier - they had both gotten 2-3% merit increases each year. So... a couple extra grand after two years.

I couldn't swing it. Ignoring the low pay, I didn't have the $3-5K up front to move, period. So it was a non-starter.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them are in extreme debt, a lot of the brand money has dried up, and what they receive per post is fairly low (overall market - some command large prices). Others are accepting gifts and not reporting them on their taxes. Few are properly disclosing paid or compensated elements like they are supposed to with FTC guidelines. The whole market there is shady and a wreck.

I've worked in media and marketing pretty much my whole life, I understand a lot of the economics behind this stuff - most of the influencer stuff is projection of wealth and deep debt.

In terms of these salaries in media, a lot of you are not looking at cost of living, some people can earn $45-$55k and do really well when living from a smaller market. It's not going to fly in a major city... but when you're younger, you often are willing to make the sacrifice - doesn't mean people shouldn't be paid more, but most understand the trade off.
Thanks for the informative post! This is crazy because you see people like Alison Roman (only person i could think of) who made a name for themselves while keeping a certain brand through-line on their social media (which must be a costly time suck). I know a few IG influencers who work restaurant server jobs on the weekends and stage photo shoots on random weekdays in hopes of breaking out. You can't really blame anyone with how it's pretty difficult to get a high paying job with a good amount of degrees out of undergrad. Shitty all around.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I can't believe I was making more money being a store manager at a retail store then someone with degree in journalism. I didn't even graduate high school.

I was making 75k before I was furloughed.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
They can't, but the higher paid people are disincentivized from doing so.

I've heard of people who do well being told directly not to share how much they're getting, because not everyone can make what they make.

And then you won't share with others because you want to continue your own good fortune.
Right. The bolded part is almost always a lie, too. At least in my industry, there are three tiers for experienced professionals:

- Tier 1: People who are underpaid, by tens of thousands of dollars, because the company knows they can get away with it.
- Tier 2: People who are paid what they're worth and make a very comfortable living.
- Tier 3: The people pulling in $400K+, not even counting bonuses/stock options/profit incentives, who are buying property in the most expensive cities in America because Tier 1 exists. Most companies where you see these stratifications could easily bring Tier 1 to parity with Tier 2 if Tier 3 accepted a more reasonable, proportional salary.

But it's the Tier 2 salaries that companies are worried to see get out. Because if the Mid-Level Data Engineer making $85K found out that the white guy next to them had five years less experience, but was making $140K, they might ask for the same thing. And then Tier 3's grift collapses.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can. It's protected by the NLRA.

Employees discussing their own information are protected, as are employees discussing the pay and benefits of others if they obtained that information through ordinary conversations with others. However, if in order to get the pay and benefit information they discuss with others, they access offices or files known to be off-limits to them, or cause others to break access restrictions and give them confidential information, and the company has clearly taken steps to restrict the information and uphold its confidentiality, then they may well find themselves unprotected by the NLRA if they are disciplined, even discharged, for participating in the access violation.

So you can't go peek at Bob's pay stub and tell Jane that he's getting paid $10 more than her.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a federal law regarding salary disclosure/making it illegal for employers to take adverse actions against an employee for inquiring about wages?

Because my state just passed two laws this year involving salary disclosure that both goes into effect on October 1, 2020.

Equal Pay for Equal Work - Inquiring About Wages - Prohibition on Adverse Action
Status: Enacted under Article II, Section 17(c) of the Maryland Constitution - Chapter 25

Synopsis: Prohibiting an employer from taking any adverse employment action against an employee for inquiring about the employee's wages.

Labor and Employment - Wage History and Wage Range
Status: Enacted under Article II, Section 17(c) of the Maryland Constitution - Chapter 67

Synopsis: Requiring an employer, on request, to provide to an applicant for employment the wage range for the position for which the applicant applied; prohibiting an employer from taking negative actions against an applicant for employment because the applicant did not provide wage history or a wage range; prohibiting an employer from relying on wage history, except when voluntarily provided, for the purpose of determining fair wage, and from seeking an applicant's wage history from former employers or their agents.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wage transparency is really important, short of standards and norms that force employers to be transparent about wages, particularly when recruiting, and would flip the information asymmetry of salary negotiation.
You give them your expectations and past wages, they rarely tell you what typical wages are and what their expectations are.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could live in SF or really anywhere in the Bay on under $100K a year.

Roommates, lots of roommates.

It is more than 90% of Americans make.

Thats a weird definition of "okay".

90% of Americans don't live in super high cost of living areas nor are in high level role like that. It's all relative to multiple factors and trying to compare that to 90% of Americans without any context doesn't really mean much without it.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has a journalism degree and works retail because of it, what did you end up doing?
Everyone I know from my days in the field, outside of two people who are still working in journalism, moved over to education, PR, went to a coding/IT bootcamp or work at non-profits. Pretty much all got a large pay and benefits increase and a lot less stress.

As someone with a journalism degree from a very strong college, I knew going into it (2007) it paid and would always pay like trash.

I had several friends and peers who mocked me for not pursuing a career in journalism upon graduation. "Why aren't you taking this offer at the WSJ or CNN for [literally] $31k a year?"

Shit sucks. And we wonder why standards aren't so poor and advertisements and paywalls run rampant.
You missed on the beautiful career hurdle of scrapping by in a town of 10k people making $24K a year or go live in the Bay/NY/LA and maybe make$ 30K or even better work a $500 a month internship to get the experience everyone wanted for their entry level positions.

Last edited:
Talk to theater professionals. Actors in your favorite musicals on Broadway? $1500 a week, if they're ensemble. Don't forget that ensembles have gotten smaller and smaller, but numbers and productions have gotten bigger and bigger. So forget that this means there's also a smaller pool of jobs at this rate for people to get. Most shows have 7 or 8 people in their ensemble who fill in every backround role and are very likely the understudy for someone else. That means, on top of doing the main role they perform (which is very likely the equivalent of singing your way through a 2 hour HITT workout 8 times a week) they also know and can drop everything and perform someone else's part.

Now think of those working off-broadway. At the lowest tier of theater, an actor may make $500 a week. At the highest, $1200.

Now you're probably thinking, well certainly Daniel Radcliffe didn't make $1200 a week when he was in Privacy at The Public, or in Equus on Broadway. Certainly Zachary Quinto gets more money when he does a show at MCC. Of course. He has an agent and buying power that allows him to negotiate. Most actors don't have that kind of buying power, but they have a small amount of ability to negotiate. As do Designers and Directors.

Stage Managers, however, who are not protected by the stage hand's union, but instead the actor's union (this is very important) have no negotiating power and most shows employ 3 people in this position (AT THE MOST) off-broadway. On Broadway there may be 4 or 5.

I have been working in theater professionally as a Stage Manager, on and off-broadway and on international tours for 15 years. I've successfully negotiated a wage above minimum ONCE and it was because my boss died while we were touring in Japan and I was the only person who could do the job. I still had to actually tender a resignation first.

I'm not saying all this for some kind of "oh woe is me, I'm much worse off than Patrick Klepek." What I'm saying is: The entertainment industry is shit, and nine times out of ten, the people you think are making money aren't and instead are being exploited for doing the work they love and making producers money.

Last edited:

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a journalism degree from a very strong college, I knew going into it (2007) it paid and would always pay like trash.

I had several friends and peers who mocked me for not pursuing a career in journalism upon graduation. "Why aren't you taking this offer at the WSJ or CNN for [literally] $31k a year?"

Shit sucks. And we wonder why standards aren't so poor and advertisements and paywalls run rampant.
This. I graduated college with honors. I spent 12 years working in local media and won multiple awards. I worked my ass off to the detriment of my physical and emotional health. During those 12 years, I never made more than $25,000 per year BEFORE taxes. After being laid off, I was forced to work two jobs, one of which was loading and unloading tractor trailers, just to make ends meet. Within a few years of starting my current job, I now make about $10,000 more a year than my media job. My current job, which is at a call center, does not require a degree. Most of the of people I work with have no degree. I'm riddled with debt and have no marketable skills, because my degree is basically worthless. I would never suggest anyone pursue a degree in media. Most of the people I went to college with now make two-to-three times as much money as I do. I'm trying to get into IT now, but who knows. I feel like my entire career and education was pretty much a waste of time and money.

Last edited:

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is great to see! Wage transparency helps employees out

I had this discussion with a female friend of mine at work. We're at the same level in the company, but I noticed I got promoted much earlier than she did despite being there less time than her. So, I was worried if I was also getting paid more than her by the time she got her promotion.

Luckily that wasn't the case. We get paid the same. It was very refreshing to have that conversation and a favourable result of equal pay from it

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Patrick and Jason are very high because they are Union. Places like Waypoint, Polygon, and such have high salaries because of that.

As far as I know, the Gamer Network sites are not unionized and the salaries are lower. The salaries at UK sites are pitiful.

A senior staffer at EUROGAMER OF ALL PLACES makes only about 40K US. It's crazy.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
During the 1up days, I considered getting into games media. Damn, didn't know the pay was that bad. No wonder all those guys basically got jobs at Game Studios haha.

The 1up Show/1up Yours days were truly special times. Sucks that those talented folks were making much.

Patrick and Jason are very high because they are Union. Places like Waypoint, VICE, and such have high salaries because of that.

As far as I know, the Gamer Network sites are not unionized and the salaries are lower. The salaries at UK sites are pitiful.

A senior staffer at EUROGAMER OF ALL PLACES makes only about 40K US. It's crazy.

I've never been in media, but I've worked for EU companies. Americans made significantly more than our EU counterparts. Lots of complex factors apparently.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Patrick and Jason are very high because they are Union. Places like Waypoint, Polygon, and such have high salaries because of that.

Seems insanely low.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I posted this in another thread but reminder that in San Francisco you are classified as "low income" if you make less than $82k a year, as of 2018.

Median rent price for a one bedroom apartment is $3500.

Not saying game writers are overpaid, underpaid - whatever. Just making sure ya'll have that context before weighing in.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
salaries between the us and eu are very different it seems

I mean I already knew that, but still

of course that doesn't take into account so many social services we're lucky to have in our welfare states that our american counterparts unfortunately live without - hence the obscene medical stuff et al