Oct 27, 2017
When people don't put back plates and stuff, just leave shit on the bars.

Guys that scream when they lift, like I know it's heavy but you don't have to sound like you're dying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol i've been a dbag lately and have been leaving my 200kilo barbell with weights on it for someone else to clean up after doing my deadlifts. i'm tired and idgaf.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
People sitting on equipment using their phone for ages without any intention of using it! If I wasn't a 5'5 130lb strip of wind I'd have some choice words for them.

Just go up to them and be like "Can you please use your phone somewhere away from the equipment so I can properly bulk up and kick your ass sometime in the future after I've actually gotten to use the equipment that is no longer being misused by you?"

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Unnecessary screaming or groaning. Not wiping down machines. Throwing weights. Not cleaning up weights. Taking up a lot of space, but on their phone. A lot of staring into the mirror, as if they just realized what a mirror is.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This right here is the worst. I have 1 hour to get my workout in and 1 dude decides to use 3 machines and a pilates ball next to the dumbbell rack. Awful.

I honestly dont mind this if they let people work in. But if you have 3-4 machines and you arent letting people work in you're just being obnoxious.

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing I see are people imitating bad form from instagram thinking it's effective when you're putting yourself at injury risk. For instance, when women thrust their hips forward after the concentric movement of a squat.

Or when guys hyperextend their lower back after moving the barbell in the deadlift. It's unnecessary and increases injury risk.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What I really don't like is when a guy comes to you when you're exercising on a machine to ask you if you have finished... I can't stand it !

There are dozens of other machines available, but because the guy has his routine and he wants me ( or others ) to stop mine in order to accomodate him... Nope.

If all the other machines that could simulate the exercise I wanna do are taken I may ask someone after they finish a set how many more they have left. Just to get an idea whether I should wait or just switch to something else. I don't ask people to work in though even though I have no issue if someone wants to work in while I'm doing my stuff.

I feel like if you are polite and not pushy this isn't a huge deal.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I remember two girls enter the gym, took selfies of themselves at machines than left. Everyone else was staring at each other like wtf?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally my issue it's I go to a small gym and when I got there it was empty late at night so I was using two machines alternating. The gyms weird dude also happens to come around this hour and one of these two machines is the one he likes to hog for the whole time he's there whenever I see him, so I tell him I'm almost done with my last two sets.

I walk to the second machine and start working out, he comes and removes my shit from the machine I was using, wipes it down, and starts alternating himself between his two classics like if I wasn't literally right in front of him looking at him with a "did you fucking seriously?" face.

I have no right to the machine, but on small gyms in particular there's more of a sense of respect and community between members. People sometimes grab two devices not necessarily far away and folks always ask if you're done with one. If not you do something else.

So yeah. This weird dude is on my shit list now. If he ever asks me for a favor lmao.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Guy at my gym has turned bicep curls into a whole body movement that involves him using his momentum through his hips to swing the weights upwards. It's genuinely astonishing how much of a waste of time it is

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck boys who drop dumbells on the floor haphazardly, and yes the shit is sub 70lbs. Shit ain't that serious.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
1. people drop weights
2 people that sit on a machine that there is only one of bullshitting with peoole
3. old dudes that have no care that their balls are hanging to their knees in the locker room for all to see
4. people that walk around like they own the fucking place

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
- awkwardly loud people, screaming

- filming for long periods of time, not mind people taking occasional quick selfies of themselves.

- being looked/stared at can be uncomfortable sometimes especially when you can tell from all the mirrors and see someone behind you staring.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
- being looked/stared at can be uncomfortable sometimes especially when you can tell from all the mirrors and see someone behind you staring.
I don't know if that's your case but I can't imagine how it is for women at gyms. I've seen the thirstiest of looks thrown at them all the time.

The worst is when they are squatting.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not gym member etiquette but actual gym annoyance.
I signed up for a now defunct local gym called willys about 7 years ago and specifically asked about the policy on canceling membership. They said no problem, cancel whenever,just had an automatic withdrawal each month to make it easier to pay.
Of course I'm moving 10 months later and get grief. No we never said you could cancel whenever. Well you'll have to call this 1800 number even though we are a one off local business to cancel. Like wtf.
Had to have my wife send the lease from Texas for our apartment we were moving into. What assholes. Of course the family who owned willys didn't pay their employees the last month they were open and closed up in the middle of the night. People had to sue for back wages. Why are gym owners disportionantly scum bags?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Lately I've been spending up to 10 minutes looking for the right dumbbells out of the ones scattered all over the fucking gym. People are idiots.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Fuck boys who drop dumbells on the floor haphazardly, and yes the shit is sub 70lbs. Shit ain't that serious.

I drop my dumbbells on the ground after doing my set of dumbbell press. Only because I've had a hernia before and I can't do the maneuver of bring the weight to my knees and rolling forward without feeling pain in my abdomen. I do quite a lot more than 70's though so I think it's okay to drop regardless.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Top 3 things in order of annoyance: 1) lack of deodorant, 2) sitting on bench and using phone instead of lifting things, 3) doing bicep curls right in front of the dumbbell rack, thereby preventing me from grabbing my weights. Other than that, I have what I would consider a very well-behaved gym with respectable and nice users.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
I drop my dumbbells on the ground after doing my set of dumbbell press. Only because I've had a hernia before and I can't do the maneuver of bring the weight to my knees and rolling forward without feeling pain in my abdomen. I do quite a lot more than 70's though so I think it's okay to drop regardless.

You sound like you are mindful of people around you and are not dropping shit all willy nilly, so all good.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
My pov is that if you can pick them up, you can put them down.

Dropping the weight not only bothers everyone around, it also damages both the floor and the dumbells. I use heavy weights too, have chronic knee pain with both knees and still put my weights down properly.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
People leaving their stuff on equipment when the gym is full so everyone has to go around asking if anyone is actually using it. Also this applies to superset people in packed gyms. Gotta share kids.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Couples who have to makeout and hold hands and rotate on like 3 machines at once and of course the group of half dozen high school baby bros or hypebeast types who take up all the benches to chat while barely sweating

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
My pov is that if you can pick them up, you can put them down.

Dropping the weight not only bothers everyone around, it also damages both the floor and the dumbells. I use heavy weights too, have chronic knee pain with both knees and still put my weights down properly.

My gyms floors are cushioned throughout. There is a bout an inch/inch and a half of black condensed foam that prevents your from damaging the floors or making a lot of noise. When I do incline press I can drop the weights to my knees but I've tried it enough times on a flat bench and I can feel the poking in the side of my abdomen. Like my intestines are trying to punch through. I'm going to do it my way and i'll explain to people if they have a problem with it. It's not like I'm making anymore noise than people deadlifting.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Couples who have to makeout and hold hands and rotate on like 3 machines at once and of course the group of half dozen high school baby bros or hypebeast types who take up all the benches to chat while barely sweating
I'm so glad my gym is downtown and surrounded by offices. Only office people train at noon and even after work. Makes it so much more enjoyable.

As for couples it's soooo awkward when they break up :p

Feb 2, 2019
Practiced BJJ for a while. Some people stink really bad, gals and guys alike.

I was practicing with a new guy. Outside of the fact that he seemed "happy" being on me (read boner), he reeked so much I had to bail out and get some fresh air. I tried to told him nicely, but he told me I was exagerating...

BJJ is getting very physical with people and frankly, you shouldn't be allowed in if you don't have proper hygiene. Some people don't care, like at all. I washed myself and made sure I didn't eat some nasty oily plate before going in the gym.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Practiced BJJ for a while. Some people stink really bad, gals and guys alike.

I was practicing with a new guy. Outside of the fact that he seemed "happy" being on me (read boner), he reeked so much I had to bail out and get some fresh air. I tried to told him nicely, but he told me I was exagerating...

BJJ is getting very physical with people and frankly, you shouldn't be allowed in if you don't have proper hygiene. Some people don't care, like at all. I washed myself and made sure I didn't eat some nasty oily plate before going in the gym.
What's bjj?

Also if you do intense workouts, you're going to sweat and no amount of deodorant is going to help with it :/

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a lot of you people need to F O C U S

But really it's people who do DB exercises like an incline press then just toss the weight down. Like:
1. Treat the equipment with respect
2. I don't want to get my foot broken cause your 70 lb weight you apparently aren't strong enough to lift bounced onto my foot
3. If you can't put it down in control then it's too heavy for you

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lot of you people need to F O C U S

But really it's people who do DB exercises like an incline press then just toss the weight down. Like:
1. Treat the equipment with respect
2. I don't want to get my foot broken cause your 70 lb weight you apparently aren't strong enough to lift bounced onto my foot
3. If you can't put it down in control then it's too heavy for you
I've called out so many morons who do this

« It's too hard I'm tired after my reps man!!! » « then you're not strong enough, lower the weight and stop endangering me idiot »

Feb 2, 2019
Wtf get him kicked out, that has no place in martial arts especially BJJ and grappling. That's not appropriate at all. If he can't be present and there to learn the art then he doesn't deserve to.

Imagine if girls in BJJ had to ask for every guys who have boners to be banned... It can happen to have a boner and I can understand, BJJ is pretty physical and intimate. The reeking + the boner though... It was too much for me. Like, even his hands were dirty as shit.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Dickheads that will postion themselves in-front of you to check themselves out curling 20's in the mirror when you're either barbell Militay Pressing or Incline BP'ing.

People who super-set the entire rack and keep the weights to themselves.

People who take > 5 minutes between sets on machines. And during these rest periods, they're wandering around and the expect to come back to an empty machine. Nope, you're officially working in-with me now.

People that ask to work-in with you for one set when you're working up your weight. Usually it's an ego bro who will ask for a spot and then rep it out.

Doing anything other than squatting in a squat rack.

Old people who walk around the lockeroom naked. I don't care if you're getting changed but don't flail your sack all over the place.

People who put the wrong weights in the wrong spots. 50 pound DB's don't go in the 15 slots.

Honestly, I've been going to the gym for many years now and it's crazy to me how people lack etiquette or think no one else is also working out asynchronously.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Crossfit guys who drop the olympic weights at the end of a set. Incredibly fucking loud and annoying and interrupts whatever I'm doing every time.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not sure if this is exclusive to my gym, but people coming in, dropping their bag by a rack, bench, platform etc, then going to stretch for 30 minutes and giving you shit for using it.

People who take 10+ minute breaks between sets.

People using designated squat or deadlift bars for heavy ass rack pulls. They have designate bars that are already bent for rack pulls.

That's just off the top of my head

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
If all the other machines that could simulate the exercise I wanna do are taken I may ask someone after they finish a set how many more they have left. Just to get an idea whether I should wait or just switch to something else. I don't ask people to work in though even though I have no issue if someone wants to work in while I'm doing my stuff.

I feel like if you are polite and not pushy this isn't a huge deal.

I could agree with that. The gym is packed you can't just monopolize a machine. But when you have other machines around available, that's flat out disrespectful.

I'm just out of the gym and there was a guy who clearly wanted to use the machine ( the one that works your pectorals and back muscles ). But he saw I was there and just went to another one. My 3 reps done he could use the machine, barely 5 minutes...

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Saw someone standing on the seat for a pulldown cable and jumping on and off of it repeatedly.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no need to make a lot of noise. These guys must be the absolute worst to have sex with.
No, we don't think you're pushing a lot of iron, we just think you make an embarrassing level of noise.

Dropping weights from a height so it makes a lot of noise can be avoided too.

Basically, when you're a noisy person you need to reevaluate your life. Making a lot of noise in a public space is the same as farting in a public space.
Just ask your parents to notice you or something.

Also.... the guys who can't help but give everyone tips... Yeah, and now i have to say "thank you" for something i never asked for.
But i don't mind them that much, if they give really good tips. So you're far from as bad as the noisy fuckers.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
People in general being there. Inconsiderate in all sorts of ways.

That's why I choose to go early in the morning just after opening.