Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So obviously take with a grain of salt, but here is the leaks:

View: https://twitter.com/zvis_ceral/status/1789753516757524538

So to clear one thing up since we did get clarification from another leaker, the "Ghosts" title isn't actually Infinity Ward returning to that universe, it's going to be a Modern Warfare 2019 Prequel game based around the current iteration of the Ghost character.

Now, here's the thing that is interesting, apparently, Sledgehammer has gotten the green light to return to Advanced Warfare, which is interesting because of the fact that up until now, Advanced Warfare has been just one of the one-off CoD "Universes", but I'm thinking it won't be anymore.

See, in case you haven't read one of my other dumb threads about this, Call of Duty since BOCW has been going a whole "One Universe / Timeline" sort of thing (technically created due to the ending of the original CoD Zombies storyline but that isn't important) where all the games are connected.

So to this day, the events are as such:

World at War / Vanguard / CoD: WWII -> BO1 (1961 to 1968) -> BOCW (1981 - 1991) - BO Gulf War (TBD but likely 1990's) -> MW19 (2019 - 2020) -> MWII (2022) -> MWIII (2023)

So naturally with this whole One Timeline thing, a question that has been asked is... "Well what about Black Ops 2?"

That is a good question, cause while the BOCW Zombies Storyline even gave an explanation for why Lev Kravchenko was in Afghanistan where he is killed by either Mason or Woods in the flashback portion of Black Ops 2. However, the other half of Black Ops 2 takes place in 2025... Which is literally next year, which proves difficult when you consider that technology in-universe isn't progressing to that level yet that you could reasonably still expect BO2 to still happen.

I think it's natural to assume that, eventually, a Modern Warfare 4 game will happen and essentially "overwrite" BO2's place in the timeline. Which effectively means that this new universe has no "Near Future" CoD's...

Or does it...?

See, this season of MWIII introduced the BAL-27, a gun from Advanced Warfare.

This gun is in game described a being a "Prototype".

So here is what I am thinking is going to happen, see, nothing in Advanced Warfare makes a reference to anything in the 2020's, 2010's, etc and nothing in any of the current games makes Advanced Warfare not possible either.

I think, Advanced Warfare 2 (assuming it's not a reboot), will establish that Advanced Warfare is the "near future" side of the new one-timeline.

After all, AW1 takes place between 2054 and 2061. Unlike BO2, it's set comfortable enough in the future that any "Modern Warfare" games does not need to worry about rubbing up against it for a very very long time lol

The only wrinkle is that the gun does have the Atlas Logo on it, albiet very small, which Advanced Warfare does establish has having been founded in 2035, so the gun is 11 years early. But honestly there is a lot of ways you can justifibly hand wave that away or just ignore it as well as it's just a small reference lol

Anyway, thank you for coming to my latest thread on the CoD Timeline.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
As a fellow COD story enjoyer, I'd prefer AW to be the 'COD FUTURE', because while I like the campaign of BO2, I felt the world was a tad more grounded on that game, so I hope you're right on this. Having said that, the whole 'Ghost prequel' idea sounds terrible, unless they use that to go even further back and include Chernobyl, which is something that baffles me to this day (how they haven't re-made that mission still in the reboot timeline)

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to merge the Black Ops and MW reboot timelines together always seemed like a fools errand to me. Especially once you start adding the Warzone story content and zombie stuff on top of it.

It all just feels so half assed and inconsistent. Like I thought Verdansk was nuked in Warzone at one point, and this was like a canon event in the overarching story. Yet MW3 has a few missions set in Verdansk (one is a flashback that could have been pre-nuke but idk).

Or how the whole framing device for Vanguards seasonal content was Mason, Woods, and Adler finding that one dude locked in a WW2 bunker and I don't think that ever gets revisited.

I won't even get started on the zombie stuff, that just complicates everything to a degree that I don't want to engage with.

Next Blops should be interesting on how it squares up with the events of Blops 2 though. If Blops 2 is still canon then most of the iconic characters are dead or out of action by the 90's.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hate the idea of a timeline in the COD series. A specific series from one developer (like Black Ops) is OK, but tying together separate series is so limiting to those series of games.

That's just from my perspective though.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Advance Warfare is another MW like reboot. Specially since the original one has a big elephant in the room…

Wonder how fans will feel about the eventual return of exp suits after all the "boots on the ground" talk.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

hmmmmmmmm....

As a fellow COD story enjoyer, I'd prefer AW to be the 'COD FUTURE', because while I like the campaign of BO2, I felt the world was a tad more grounded on that game, so I hope you're right on this. Having said that, the whole 'Ghost prequel' idea sounds terrible, unless they use that to go even further back and include Chernobyl, which is something that baffles me to this day (how they haven't re-made that mission still in the reboot timeline)

Ghost wasn't involved in that mission, so I'm not sure if it would be in the prequel? Unless we do play as Price again.

Next Blops should be interesting on how it squares up with the events of Blops 2 though. If Blops 2 is still canon then most of the iconic characters are dead or out of action by the 90's.

IIRC from reliable leakers, Black Ops Gulf War (or w/e it's called) is supposed to focus on Adler and co again.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I hate the idea of a timeline in the COD series. A specific series from one developer (like Black Ops) is OK, but tying together separate series is so limiting to those series of games.

That's just from my perspective though.
I fully agree, if you asked me what my most disliked change about CoD in recent years is it's everything being 1 timeline. What makes it really dumb is that apparently even Zombies is part of it.
I also think that if you're gonna do it, do it properly. A character like David Mason for example, and even other characters from the futuristic Black Ops 2 timeline, easily could fit within the new Modern Warfare games. Would be amazing to see Price and David Mason in the same team, David chatting about Alex to Price, that kinda stuff.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree, if you asked me what my most disliked change about CoD in recent years is it's everything being 1 timeline. What makes it really dumb is that apparently even Zombies is part of it.
I also think that if you're gonna do it, do it properly. A character like David Mason for example, and even other characters from the futuristic Black Ops 2 timeline, easily could fit within the new Modern Warfare games. Would be amazing to see Price and David Mason in the same team, David chatting about Alex to Price, that kinda stuff.

That would be cool and I do hope that happens.

Technically we sort of a taste of that in BOCW when you get to interact with a young Imran Zakhaev, even if it was only for a short bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Havent paid attention to cod for years but hearing they really trying to shoehorn the new MW games into the BO timeline makes no sense

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It'd be interesting to see if there's no MW4 for many years if IW and Sledgehammer are both not doing it, considering MWIII's campaign ending left the door very wide open for a continuation of the story.

level

May 25, 2023
Aren't these considered to be the two worst COD games? Why would they build sequels on them?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If they are sticking with the one timeline, then these are most likely Reboots that will be slotted in.
Maybe with the Microsoft acquisition there might also be a bit more creative freedom instead of milking Modern Warfare and Black Ops until the end of times. If this is all accurate I'm actually quite interested in seeing the return of advanced movement.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
hmmmmmmmm....

Ghost wasn't involved in that mission, so I'm not sure if it would be in the prequel? Unless we do play as Price again.

IIRC from reliable leakers, Black Ops Gulf War (or w/e it's called) is supposed to focus on Adler and co again.

I mean I would expect to see Price again with him. Overall, I don't really like the reboot continuity characters but I feel that Ghost is just a dud in that game, I dunno if it's just me, but old Ghost seemed way cooler. Then again, I'm only saying this to will Chernobyl into existence once again.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Advanced Warfare was one of the best CoDs and no amount of arguments against will have me shift from that opinion. The prospect of AW2 is exactly what I would want. Hell, let's get an Infinite sequel going while we're at it.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't go back to Advanced Warfare, literally the worst COD setting we ever had imo.

I'd love a legitimate Black Ops III that is dealing with David Mason and his kid like how II was split between Alex and David.

Also won't happen but Infinite Warfare sequel would be way more interesting than anything really

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
i'd like a new advanced warfare very much, it had very fun movement imo, you really had to commit to where you jetpack