Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I had a hard time following that honestly. Bad Earth people oppress the Dunelings, good Earth boy joins Dunelings a la Avatar and then stuff happens. Bladerunner 2049 is one of my favorite movies of all time though so I'm in.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People complaining about the humour giving off big

7b0.png

Energy.
no jokes allowed

i want characters to be humourless automata that function only to deliver exposition

/s

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Can anyone give me the spoiler-free elevator pitch for Dune?
In a surprising turn of events House Atreides is given the control of the planet Arrakis by the Empreror. Arrakis is a desert planet and the only place where the Spice, the most valuable item in the universe, is found. The planet has been under the ruthless control of House Harkonnen (Atreides main rivals) for decades, so the Emperor's decisionand motives are hard to understand.
Duke Atreides is in no way convince that the Harkonnen will give up the control of the Spice and smells a trap, but he can't refuse the Emperor order so he accept his new charge and moves to Arrakis with his family.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Looks like the series is still in the works

variety.com

‘Dune’ HBO Max Series Enlists Diane Ademu-John as New Showrunner (EXCLUSIVE)

The "Dune" television series prequel at HBO Max has found its new showrunner.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve...
Brilliant!

... Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.
And then just complete shit. I hope their name is attached only for attribution and they have no influence on the production. They've produced nothing but fucking rubbish.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I had a hard time following that honestly. Bad Earth people oppress the Dunelings, good Earth boy joins Dunelings a la Avatar and then stuff happens. Bladerunner 2049 is one of my favorite movies of all time though so I'm in.
Not a fan of the Lynch version of dune but this extended intro is kind of a good non spoiler intro for newbies.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, in the movie I'm sure it's just regular conversation between them. But, the way the trailer emphasized the joke with the bass hit and silence made it like something from MCU or Fast series. It would be out of place for movies like Blade Runner or Alien as well.

I get the reason why. Maybe if Alien Covenant had an MCU trailer, it would have attracted more young folks.
I can't argue that that scene was pretty lame as shown.

It did come off as some by the numbers Hollywood blockbuster and not something organic or even well done.

Duncan seems like a really hard character to pull off in general. For the director and the actor. That is probably true for this movie as well.

I am just glad he is doing it with his own vision. Truly looks like something unique. This is the kind of shit I want to see and I am there day 1.

Even if they swing and miss, at least they are going big.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a lot more politics involved. It is much closer to something like GOT than it is Avatar.

Major book/movie spoilers:

Atreides royal family is assigned stewardship of Dune/spice production as previous royal family who had stewardship wasn't extracting enough spice, said previous faimly conspires with emperor to assinate leader/duke of Atreides by convincing emperor that he is too ambitious and well liked, son of the duke works with native Dune tribes to elimate previous stewards and overthrow galactic emperor, becoming emperor himself. Paul himself has multidimensional/different futures foresight and is forced into becoming as bad/worse than the previous emperor because there are no better options. I don't think this movie will cover all that but Paul isn't really a typical hero/protagonist and isn't necessarily motivated by "doing good" but moreso doing the least bad path even though it's terrible and involves him becoming a religious tyrant.

Like there's a reason people say it's a hard source material to adapt, the first book is like 900 pages with a lot of fairly complicated political intrigue and then of course you throw in multidimensional foresight (tbh the MCU probably has made this concept more palatable in recent years). And then the second book is a pretty wild departure from the first (it isn't really given the context of the first book, but it's sort of a dramatic departure as far as what a "typical mainstream audience" might expect from characters story arcs). I haven't read the third book.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Can we please stop using this lame generic marketing formula for trailers

Hope the movie is good, didn't like the marketing for BR2049 but I loved the movie. In Denis we trust

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Wish the colors were more vibrant.
I do get people wanting this but honestly I don't see it happening and it makes sense that way. The vast majority of Dune (literally everything except for the very start before the Atreides move from Caladan, and a few parts of the Harkonnens on Giedi Prime) takes place on Arrakis, which is a very harsh planet dominated by the desert. It was never really ever going to be that colourful. Even for all of Lynch's design choices with his adaptation, it was pretty muted, the same for the Syfy series. Any of the more visually colourful or vivid scenes (I'm mainly thinking of what's probably my favourite section in Dune, the dinner "party" scene) I'm guessing are being kept away for now.

Genesis

Oct 27, 2017
YessssnmfnsiofosIHYPEDnhjsgpiuonhoirghpoiauoiup!!!!
Looks so well done! Never bet against Villeneuve.
Going to take a lucky lady to see it the theatre.
[h3][/h3]

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Idk shit about Dune but the visuals were astounding and Denis has made some great films so far.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Looks like the series is still in the works

variety.com

‘Dune’ HBO Max Series Enlists Diane Ademu-John as New Showrunner (EXCLUSIVE)

The "Dune" television series prequel at HBO Max has found its new showrunner.
Just noticed this quote:

"Diane Ademu-John has boarded Dune: The Sisterhood in the role of writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Jon Spaihts had previously been attached to run the series, but he stepped down in November 2019 to focus on writing the script for the second of the DUNE films."

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Upon a second rewatch, I have to admit, it really is a poor trailer. So I can sympathise with non-book readers who think the movie looks derivative. But ultimately WB feels this is the way to get butts in seats, specifically framing the trailer around Paul's journey to another planet. They could just as easily cut the trailer in a more slowburn way and reveal some trippy aspects of the story, but a lot of money is riding on this movie so they go action packed and easily digestible stakes.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the first 10 minutes of the film, another scene and this trailer last night in IMAX.

It was phenomenal.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Don't know a thing about the books, so I watched this trailer blind and really enjoyed what I saw. Looking forward to the film, thought unfortunately I don't think the theatres will be open for it here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I love the scale of it all, although the hints of white savior stuff make me nervous. I saw the Lynch movie once but don't really know much else about Dune.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
Not really feeling it at all, if it wasn't for denis I think I would await a Netflix release.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they didn't spoil anything. Those images don't mean anything out of context. Even in context it's not the spoiler you think it is.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I only ever saw the SciFi mini-series but don't really remember it too well. This looks awesome despite not really knowing what's going on. I hope I can see this in theaters.