CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I know people don't like the Brian Herbert books that this is based on but, this trailer looks great.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, Dune has been on my mind after really enjoying Part Two but I had completely forgotten this show was even a thing

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
New movies, a streaming series, new video games...

I didn't have Dune popping the fuck off on my post-pandemic bingo card.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
It has this cheap look that I hate, but I'm going to watch it anyway because it's Dune and because Emily Watson is in it.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, I'm stupid. I viewed the opening of this seeing "an IMAX original", was somewhat confused but excited before the reality quickly hit! Still, it'll likely be on Sky Atlantic / NOW TV here in the UK, so I look forward to watching it later in the year.

In the meantime I'm going to imagine getting to watch a complete IMAX screening of the Last of Us!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, as someone who has read a good amount of Dune books, its lore is an ocean wide and a puddle deep. So, curious how they can handle a long-form series. I feel that Dune only works in short bursts, where we rarely see the larger universe and its working.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I didn't realize this was dropping this year. Some clips definitely look like a tv show (sort of cheap) but I'll absolutely be checking it out.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I dont recall seeing a single casting announcement for this show. I wonder if it costs more or less than a season of House of the Dragon

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that this was one of the first projects ordered by HBO Max five years ago.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see the fashion carry over from the movies.
Hard to judge the level of the rest of the production yet

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
So soon, Cool. I'm just hoping it turns out great, especially after the momentum of the movies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, as someone who has read a good amount of Dune books, its lore is an ocean wide and a puddle deep. So, curious how they can handle a long-form series. I feel that Dune only works in short bursts, where we rarely see the larger universe and its working.

I think the books have quite a bit of depth even if feels like Herbert was making some stuff up as he went along. That said the issue here is this is based on his son's work and the dude is definition of a hack.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Honestly just looks like another season of Game of Thrones. If you take out maybe 3-4 shots (the shields and the ships).

Which is not a criticism, but it also doesn't particularly make me want to watch it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
if reviews are truly excellent i will give it a watch, otherwise put me down for Dune Part III and i'll call it a day

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
have you read the pseudo canon encyclopedia? It adds a lot of context the books are missing. I'm sure none of that will make it in here though

Jan 20, 2022
I think the books have quite a bit of depth even if feels like Herbert was making some stuff up as he went along. That said the issue here is this is based on his son's work and the dude is definition of a hack.
Is Brian Herbert bad because his storytelling sucks or because his very premise flawed? Would more talented writers/directors be able to tell a better version of his stories?

PimentaGui

Jul 29, 2021
After all the mess bts I'll wait for reviews to get hyped on this one

It's a six episode first season btw

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
10,000 years? So is this supposed to be like right after the Butlerian Jihad (because the Bene Gesserit sprung out of the ending of that conflict - like the Mentat's too)?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Is Brian Herbert bad because his storytelling sucks or because his very premise flawed? Would more talented writers/directors be able to tell a better version of his stories?

He's just bad all around. I mean the prose isn't terrible but its just hackneyed generic scifi plap that shows a real misunderstanding of what his father was writing.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine but yeah the book is trash so hopefully it can get some good showrunners to craft gold out of dross. If it was on Netflix or Apple TV+ I would be a bit more invested, being on HBO Max is worrying since they can't really afford to be long term right now, and I'm not sure this is the kind of show that is going to draw new subs like House of the Dragon.

On the flip side HBO really doesn't have a lot new coming this year so it may do well enough.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this show works out, it could be a really solid appetizer in between movies. But I'm also worried that it won't live up because of how much of a troubled production this had. I really want this to be good.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Sisterhood show got canned but uh, this is clearly that so I must have heard wrong. Excited for more DUNC this fall!

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Ignoring the quality of it, does the book have enough to justify more than one season?

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Game of Thrones of future, and I like it!
Is this based on those books that people hate? Or good books?

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
I'll be there Day 1.

Looks like an old sci-fi channel original show (in a good way)