• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Bwxtku7.png

WHAT IS IT

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is an open-source traditional roguelike for PC (Windows, Linux, Mac) and Android. Your objective is to descend through the dungeon, collect at least three runes, and return to the surface with the Orb of Zot.

WHY SHOULD I PLAY IT

Because it's the best dang roguelike there is. No, seriously, it strikes an excellent balance between depth and approachability and depth. You can be a cunning spellcaster. You can be a mighty berserker of Trog. You can play as an octopode chaos knight and die immediately.

HOW DO I PLAY IT

Download it for free here: HERE!
Or play it online right in your browser HERE!

Sorry for the super-short OT, I'm just glad to be back with some of my favorite people so naturally I'm posting about one of my favorite games of all time.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, someone made a thread for this game. Shame more people aren't playing it, because it's great and pretty accessible and transparent for a roguelike of its depth. The tutorial is great and looking up info online is really pretty unnecessary with the amount of info they pack into just examining spells and enemies and all that. I should get back to playing it again one of these days.

You should include the Crawl Wiki (though the data is often outdated, it can still be helpful) and the Knowledge bot(the go-to source for up-to-date info) in the OP.

My first and, I think, only win was as a Demonspawn Gladiator of Qazlal. I was lucky enough to get the Powered by Death perk just before they nerfed it as well as some good defensive Demonspawn mutations. My strategy was to charge headlong into battle and let everything on the floor hear the racket of Qazlal's constant thunderstorms and fireballs draw everything to me, then attack everything in sight, hoping I could kill enough to start get massive passive regen from the corpses before I get totally boned. It was amazing.

Wish I could find my morgue file but I think it was lost when I transferred everything to my new computer. Instead, have an image of Vaults 5 after I went in and just stood on the stairs swinging my axe and spamming Qazlal upheavals until everything was dead.

XlzzN4b.png

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I have only made a few attempts at the game, but the character options are great and the game is worth trying out especially since it's very easy to get into.

OP
OP
Orayn

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The best build is actually Minotaur Berserker, where you can hit tab and O over and over again and still win the game.

jk I've been playing this build since like 2009 and still haven't actually gotten further than 3 runes.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game was incredibly good when I last played it in like 2012 or so

WebTiles has come a long way!

spelk

Oct 30, 2017
It's even good in ASCII, if you can handle that. It's a traditional roguelike that has a lot to offer, and is quite accessible to just pick up and play.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask this but I am new to the whole roguelike thing: How does this compare to nethack or caves of qud? I'm just asking before deciding where I should try to get into...

spelk

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry to ask this but I am new to the whole roguelike thing: How does this compare to nethack or caves of qud? I'm just asking before deciding where I should try to get into...

I'd say DCSS is easier to play than nethack, and is more traditional fantasy in its theme than Qud. "Crawl" is a good place to start if you are new to the genre.

There are "easier" more accessible roguelikes that usually have less scope and are more streamlined - sort of easing you gently into it - particularly the newer crop such as these (*some you can get on mobile platforms):

NeckToChicken

Oct 25, 2017
Crawl is a great game to come back to every so often.

My only win, a Deep Dwarf Healer from like 8 versions ago, is a fond memory. I healed Boris (the unkillable lich) with enough force that he turned neutral and left the dungeon.

Tip: If you find dragon armor or some other super heavy armor on the first floor, resist the urge to (poorly) wear it. Or don't. Chei will love you for it. So will Xom.