• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Black manager at a Dunkin' in Florida who fatally punched an elderly, white customer who called him the N-word will not spend any time behind bars, and instead will serve two years of house arrest as part of his guilty plea.

Frustrated with the service at one of the donut store's Tampa locations, Vonelle Cook, 77, marched into the store and berated the manager, calling him the N-word, police said.
The manager, 27-year-old Corey Pujols, who is Black, asked Cook not to say it again.
When Cook decided to call him the N-word a second time, Pujols hit him in the jaw. The older man became unconscious, falling backwards and hitting his head on the floor. He was dead three days later

Prosecutors said it was important there were consequences for Pujols' actions, but also took into account Cook's abusive behavior and 'very troublesome criminal history,' which included prison time.

They claimed this combination of factors made Cook an 'unsympathetic victim.'

Article Link

This happened in Florida. I'm actually shocked that the black manager didn't receive stiff jail time. I guess the old man f'd around and found out.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder to not get into fights if you can help it after you're like 18. You could end up hurt way worse than initially intended quick.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Eh more like old dude fell to his death after getting clocked in the head

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I understand what you were going for but "punches customer to death" seems like kinda poor wording here. He was punched in the face, which he deserved, and then he fell down to an accidental death. There was no murder here. And that is indeed an important difference in a lot of ways.

Edit: and I see now you were just using the wording of the article, this isn't your own wording, so my point stands but directed elsewhere, I suppose.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Some people will say this man was wrong, I am not one of those people.

Also thread title is weird.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Thread title made it sound much more gruesome.

It's pretty clear the punch wasn't thrown the intent to kill. House arrest seems appropriate. I was real worried I'd see something dumb like "life in prison"

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Talk shit, get hit.

Shame he didn't survive it, but don't wag your jaw unless you're ready to defend yourself.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Sounds like the old racist man was already on his way out, and the punch just happened around the same time.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so happy that the guy didn't go to prison. Can house arrest sentences in Florida be purged from records afterwards?

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Wtf did old dude think was going to happen? Let this be a lesson to racist white people.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I understand what you were going for but "punches customer to death" seems like kinda poor wording here. He was punched in the face, which he deserved, and then he fell down to an accidental death. There was no murder here. And that is indeed an important difference in a lot of ways.

It was the punch that caused the fall though. It's not murder but it is manslaughter.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fuck around and find out.

Also the thread title could be better. Makes it sound like he actually beat him to death, like Homer to the Hamburgler.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? I don't feel like homeboy should have to suffer any legal consequences. "Anger management course." Fuck outta here. Maybe whites should leave us alone.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If that old racist has even one living relative, that manager is going to spend years in civil court. It's not over for him, unfortunately.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking a brutal beating going by the title, but I am fine with the outcome. Would be fine if the manager got a bonus and keys to the city as well. Say racist shit, get punched in the face should be the norm.

Last edited:

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I was absolutely expecting to hear that the guy was undeservedly getting put under the jail when I clicked this.

Glad that racist fuck is dead. Should have happened decades earlier, I bet. He surely abused untold amounts of people.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Talk shit
get hit

The headline of this article is racist framing. The dude didn't get punched to death. He got punched, once, and the cranial trauma of hitting the floor is what was fatal. Yes, legally, the distinction doesn't matter, but the mental image of "punched to death" is a lot more violent and brutal than what actually happened.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If that old racist has even one living relative, that manager is going to spend years in civil court. It's not over for him, unfortunately.
Hopefully all his living relatives are over his bullshit. It wouldn't surprise me, given his apparent history of abuse, if they were all no-contact with him.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is the kind of thing that should come with zero punishment. I'm normally 100% against fighting, but there should be a legalized 1:1 exchange rate for saying that word to getting punched in the face. Old man didn't deserve to die, but he deserved to eat that punch, and what happened as a result of that punch is just bad luck. Better luck in the next life, I guess.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah the articles headline paints him as far more aggressive than he was. As if he wailed in the dude. Old fuck took one to the chin and fell straight to hell

Jul 19, 2020
It's unfortunate for everyone involved that the man died, but from the limited info available in the article (and the other one it links) that sentence sounds largely appropriate. Manager likely wasn't trying to kill anyone and I doubt there's much worry of a repeat offense in the future, glad that this wasn't met with decades of imprisonment for the pure sake of punishment and that rehabilitation and common sense won out.

EDIT: Yeah, I fucked the wording up on the second paragraph of this post. My bad. No sympathy for the deceased racist here, I just felt weird about seeing people post things I thought might be insensitive to the manager's perspective (which, as pointed out, is not something I'm privy to - I was assuming)

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It was the punch that caused the fall though. It's not murder but it is manslaughter.
Accidental manslaughter, yeah. That's why I said specifically it wasn't murder. A single punch thrown to hurt someone which has more severe results than intended is not the image that is conveyed by "punches customer to death", is what I'm saying. And the difference is important both in terms of how we talk about the situation and the legal ramifications.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Classic 'stand your ground' defense... I'm shocked that it worked out for a POC in Florida.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I feel bad for the old dude.

But still, this is why you shouldn't get in a situation where even one punch will happen, all it takes is one to kill you.