Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations Durante! You're always an inspiration. Part of what gave me the drive to go back to school for CS was you. Don't forget us ;)

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, Durante was consulted on the PC port of Rez Infinite? No wonder that game runs at a million frames per second.
It was just a very short QA consultation. I actually asked the mods to remove it from the title, since putting it on the same level of ToCS (2) where I made the entire port might give the wrong impression. (Dark Souls isn't problematic I feel since most people here know at least some of that story)

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Woah! Congrats Durante!

I look forward to lots of publishers not hiring you guys because they'd rather save a few measly bucks by giving it to studios like Neobards.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Please port some games from the EPIC game store to Steam. Start with Ashen. Thanks!

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Congrats!

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
It was just a very short QA consultation. I actually asked the mods to remove it from the title, since putting it on the same level of ToCS (2) where I made the entire port might give the wrong impression. (Dark Souls isn't problematic I feel since most people here know at least some of that story)

Congratulations to you, hope everything works out. Out of curiosity, how do you determine how much to charge a publisher for a port?

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Durante is such a great guy in this community. I hope he assembles an equally nice and talented team and that they find the greatest success in this endeavor.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I know you're joking, but delegating effectively is actually a valuable and difficult skill -- and one I'm not good enough at yet.

I smiled, but I still feel compelled to stress that my co-founders are both amazing people and exceedingly competent engineers. And anyone who knows me knows that I'm extremely pick especially about the latter ;)

If you say your future co-workers are as good at their job as you are then I'm confident we get good stuff out of this no matter whos at the helm.

That said, I hope your first order as a new boss is to get the job for the PC version of Cold Steel 3 as soon as possible.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Congrats Durante, your PC ports of Trails of Cold Steel were really good, thank you. I hope to see you and your colleagues on ToCS3 ahah.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Holy poop

This rules. I can't wait to see how your upcoming ports turn out! I'm guessing you found a way to balance all this with academic work?

I hope your first order as a new boss is to get the job for the PC version of Cold Steel 3 as soon as possible.
This had better happen. I certainly hope NISA's noticed the port quality for Trails of Cold Steel I & II after the Ys VIII mess and constant comparisons on social media.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Now every time a Japanese company announces a game with no PC version, we know who to call.

:)

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
OH MY GOD. Do yall 'member when he was just releasing the DSFIX? Man how time flies. This is the biggest news of the year so far for me.

EDIT: OMG I was just thinking... the next game he ports will have actual graphics options lmaoo
I also remember Gedosato, a magnificent tool that opened the door to an easy way to downsample a game, something that before gedosato was literally a pain to get right.
Also i like to think that Nvidia and AMD implemented the downsampling at a driver level only because gedosato existed and taught them that it was an highly requested features from basically every single pc gamer out there
Best of luck durante, I wish you and your team the best!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Congratulations to you, hope everything works out. Out of curiosity, how do you determine how much to charge a publisher for a port?
That is a difficult question. I was really curious to see how it is generally done in the industry when I first encountered the problem, but I couldn't find anything solid back then.

So far, it has worked like this:
- First, we get all the required data from the publisher
- Then we try to get an overview of the codebase and determine what is necessary and desirable for the PC port
- We put those necessary and desirable requirements and features into work packages (which group related tasks)
- For each of those packages, we try to put them into broad categories of how much work we expect them to take (the smallest is 1 or 2 person-business-days, the largest is 1 or 2 person-months -- if it's more than that the package is too large)
- We take an average time in working hours for each package category, sum it up over all packages, multiply that by a hourly rate, and add some buffer to that to hopefully cover unforeseen issues, QA, and post-release support

This has the advantage of hopefully eliminating bad surprises for us (and whoever is offering the contract!), and arriving at a fair rate. But it also means some significant work before knowing whether you'll actually do the project, especially if it's a custom engine. Since just getting to the part where you can do even rough effort estimates with at least some confidence can require a full week or more of time investment. It also requires a good level of experience, and even so it relies on human estimates of software project timelines so it's far from infallible ;)

Sabin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best luck to you Durante. Can't wait to play more awesome games on a platinum standard port level.

Congrats Durante, your PC ports of Trails of Cold Steel were really good, thank you. I hope to see you and your colleagues on ToCS3 ahah.

As much as i wish for it im 99% sure that NISA will do it inhouse if they will ever port it.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Oh fair enough. Just wanted to show appreciation for your work but I guess that's not fair to the studio that actually handled the port. They did a stellar job.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should flesh out the online portfolio as I'm curious as to what all you've had a hand in.

Plus, your work on Little King's Story is probably my favorite. : )