• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surely the tech being developed at Aperture, in regards to the various gels, AI and portal devices surely would have been found by someone right? Im sure they had enough value to not have been found and forgotten about. And as we learn during the events of Portal 2, the facility has pretty much been abandoned for anywhere from 1000-50000 years and running on reserve power.

So what were the Combine doing on Earth that they completely missed a building drawing ridiculous amounts of power (enough to keep 10000 test subjects alive for a good amount of time).

Did I miss something?

Last edited:

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Apparently, according to a Marc Laidlaw email from a while back, they did try to get in but where unsuccessful for some reason.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
You're missing that Half-Life 2 came out 3 years before the original Portal and 7 years before Portal 2. Valve didn't retcon it into Half-Life 2. It's a video game. You're thinking way too hard about it.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
GLaDOS actually brings this up in the boss fight dialogue in the original Portal. Apparently she's not quite sure what's going on outside so the facility must be pretty isolated and far off from what was going on during the interim period between HL1 and 2, but she also bring up being the only thing keeping "them" out so the Combine definitely were trying to get inside.

Of course the actual answer is that the existence of Portal is a massive retcon and even the time scales between games changed once the Episodes were written; the gap between Half-Life 1 and 2 was meant to be ten years in 2004 (luckily never mentioned in the final game) but got stretched out to 20 by Episode Two.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Portal 2 shows that Aperture Science is in 1 giant abandoned underground bunker whose only surface footprint is a small metal shack in a cornfield. And the planet is a very big place. Would be easier to find Eli's and Kline's labs, which they failed to do so until they drew attention to them by interacting with the Combine, something Glados didn't do.

All the reactors were internal, as shown when they started blowing up with Wheatley in charge. It wasn't siphoning off power from anywhere. Maybe the Combine have tricorders that can detect EM fields and heat patterns, but the bunker was really deep underground.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2 shows that Aperture Science is in 1 giant abandoned underground bunker whose only surface footprint is a small metal shack in a cornfield. And the planet is a very big place. Would be easier to find Eli's and Kline's labs, which they failed to do so until they drew attention to them by interacting with the Combine, something Glados didn't do.

Unless it was still inside the Bunker somehow, I do distinctly recall Portal 1's ending being in a rather sizable Parking Lot on the surface.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It would have been cool if Valve continued writing for their own setting, especially given the narrative bridges they worked into Portal 2. You can tell the love was there at one point. This is where I sarcastically lament that they surely don't have the resources to make anything like that.

(There were years between Episode 2 and the first Portal, let alone the more fleshed-out writing for Portal 2. And there wasn't newer Half-Life content after that. It's an old videogame.)

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't find the hideout of a bunch of old scientists in their capital city on Earth either.

Video game.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing that Half-Life 2 came out 3 years before the original Portal and 7 years before Portal 2. Valve didn't retcon it into Half-Life 2. It's a video game. You're thinking way too hard about it.

Lol. Of course that's the real reason but it's fun trying to find in-lore explanations for stuff like this.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did, that's why Aperture Science teleported the Borealis, because they were worried that it falling into the combine's hands would doom humanity.

For some unknown reason, the attack failed, however.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, really? I imagined Portal 2 took place almost at the same time as HL2 / a bit after Portal 1

Portal 2 takes place hundreds and hundreds of years after Half Life 2. There is evidence that eventually

The combine will be repelled, because when Chell portals to the Moon, she looks back at earth, and it's green and full of water. Remember, the combine were explicitly siphoning off the planet's oceans during HL2. If you look around, it was claimed that a few major bodies of water had already dried up. So seeing the earth in that state at the end of Portal 2 indicates that sometime, eventually, the combine are repelled and earth returns to normal.

Although that doesn't necessarily mean humanity survives

Why am I spoilering this??

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never thought much about the combine plot being some world wide invasion. It never felt that way to me playing it, more isolated.

OP
OP
galv

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2 takes place hundreds and hundreds of years after Half Life 2. There is evidence that eventually

The combine will be repelled, because when Chell portals to the Moon, she looks back at earth, and it's green and full of water. Remember, the combine were explicitly siphoning off the planet's oceans during HL2. If you look around, it was claimed that a few major bodies of water had already dried up. So seeing the earth in that state at the end of Portal 2 indicates that sometime, eventually, the combine are repelled and earth returns to normal.

I'd say that a good chunk of people on this forum haven't actually played Half-Life 2, seeing it came out in 2004, so spoiler tags are always welcome.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never thought much about the combine plot being some world wide invasion. It never felt that way to me playing it, more isolated.

you need to go replay Half Life 2 and pay attention to the story told through the surrounding areas, lol. Go read news paper clippings and listen to radios as they chatter and letters left on desks and such. You can do all that in Half-Life 2. There is actually an enormous backstory to both Half Life and Portal, all told entirely through secondary background items that are super missable if you don't pay attention. There is a huge, global invasion. It's called the 7-hour war, because that's how long it took for humanity to surrender. The world in Half Life 2 is really fucked, they're right in the middle of teraforming it in an awful way. Humanity has already lost in Half Life 2, we're being extinguished essentially.

The stuff about the combine in particular is pretty horrifying. The combine aren't a singular race or entity of creatures, they're genetically engineered "things" that they assimilate like the borg. The Combine are like this mix of the flood and the borg, who are slowly conquering the entire universe. They go from planet to planet, taking every resource they can and making it their own, then using that planet as a base to launch new attacks. They assimilate everything, from languages to resources like the oceans to the things that live their themselves. The combine in Half Life 2 are actually sort of the old parts of humanity and other worlds that the combine have collectively absorbed.

The portal side of the story is all a lot more light hearted, actually laugh out loud funny in lots of places. The shit that started half life was basically a response to aperture science's portal technology, as they and black mesa were rival companies. Aperture Science's portal technology, however, started as a replacement for shower curtains, because their leader, Cave Johnson, was basically senile and hit his head on the ground one day. Aperture Science began as a shower curtain manufacturer, who got into theoretical sciences looking to build better shower curtains.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because deep down you long for a sequel :-(

I'd eat the fuck out of any sort of sequel set in this universe. The deep, complex plots in all these games told through just tiny details all over the place never stops being fascinating. The world of Half Life and Portal are so incredibly deeply fleshed out. Seriously, one of the best settings in not just gaming, but science fiction as a whole.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Because the Combine on earth are understaffed, which is why areas outside of official cities are mostly abandoned and the rebellion is able to gain traction in the first place

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered what the eventual payoff of Gordon turning into a Messianic character would have been. Throughout Half Life 2, and the episodes, word slowly spreads about the "One free man" returning out of thin air, and it begins to spark a revolution. The leaked summary of Episode 3 takes place largely away from earth at the end, as Gordon is seemingly doomed, until some vortigaunts save him apparently. With the G-man seemingly betraying you, along with Alyx, I wonder if Gordon being the face of the rebellion would have had any play off. The way they described the scope of the combine closing a dyson sphere made it sound like Gordon realized their empire was unfathomably huge and they would literally have no chance. How do you go from there??

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'd eat the fuck out of any sort of sequel set in this universe. The deep, complex plots in all these games told through just tiny details all over the place never stops being fascinating. The world of Half Life and Portal are so incredibly deeply fleshed out. Seriously, one of the best settings in not just gaming, but science fiction as a whole.
100% agreed. The charm and intricacies behind the HL/Portal universe were too good. Throwing them to the wayside was such a waste.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017

Unless it was still inside the Bunker somehow, I do distinctly recall Portal 1's ending being in a rather sizable Parking Lot on the surface.

Yes, but the presence of a parking lot is not so special that it would draw the Combine's attention when they have a whole planet to explore, and no reason to look carefully for something special in that particular area. Aperture Science might not be completely hidden in a physical sense, but if it looks unremarkable from the outside and is in a remote area far from anything interesting, that might be enough to remain undisturbed. Portal 1 also takes place at the early stages of the Combine invasion, so the systematic exploitation of the planet's resources has probably not gone very far yet. Later on, it could have been deliberately camouflaged, entrances sealed, overgrown with vegetation, etc...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% agreed. The charm and intricacies behind the HL/Portal universe were too good. Throwing them to the wayside was such a waste.

I always loved the subtle bleak humor of the universe, even in Half Life. Like you're a theoretical physicist with all these super great degrees and accomplishments, and they use you basically as a monkey to push a cart then press a button in a room that's too dangerous for anyone else to go into. That universe honestly sucks, I would hate to live in it. Every entity treats their workers like absolutely shit, lol.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

The combine pretty much annihilated the world governments and their militaries during the initial invasion, the Seven Hour War. The initial combine occupying force was so absurdly huge, what's left in Earth during HL2 is essentially a "scouting party" in terms of size and operations.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I always loved the subtle bleak humor of the universe, even in Half Life. Like you're a theoretical physicist with all these super great degrees and accomplishments, and they use you basically as a monkey to push a cart then press a button in a room that's too dangerous for anyone else to go into. That universe honestly sucks, I would hate to live in it. Every entity treats their workers like absolutely shit, lol.

Eerily horrifying prediction of what Valve became.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

After Half Life, portal storms started popping up everywhere on Earth. The Combine basically saw some cool shit happening and popped their heads over to our universe and invaded us.

We lasted 7 hours, hence "The 7 Hour War".

What's left on Earth is basically a remnant, "peace" keeping force that is meant to keep order and subdue any type or resistance. Think post WWII forces in Germany and Japan.

Half Life 2 Episode 2 was about closing the Citadel Portal that was created during its meltdown. The Combine were attempting to signal for help, which would have brought a major military force back to Earth, basically ending any resistance once and for all.

The Combine don't seem to have the capability to create portals and cross universes on their own. Hence why the portal storms post Half Life was what opened Earth up for invasion. It also explains why they are so interested in us and our technology. We've "mastered" teleportation, both local universe AND multi-dimensional/time travel in the form of The Borialis.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The combine pretty much annihilated the world governments and their militaries during the initial invasion, the Seven Hour War. The initial combine occupying force was so absurdly huge, what's left in Earth during HL2 is essentially a "scouting party" in terms of size and operations.

In the leak for Episode 3, they find the borealis and figure out they can use it to warp to the combine home world and turn it into, essentially, an interdimensional nuke that'll take them all out. So Gordon and Alyx are fighting while the Borealis phases in and out of time and space and they eventually land right in front of the Combine home world in the past, way before HL2 even happened, and they see how huge their empire is. Gordon witnesses them completing a dyson sphere - a theoretical structure that completely surrounds a sun to harness all of it's power at once. He sees their empire and it's impossibly vast, larger than what can possibly be imagined. The leak describes him feeling a dread of hopelessness as he realizes the bomb they created would be so small as to be essentially a mosquito bite to their empire. And even worse, that the borealis in the first place is what alerts the combine to earth to begin with. Their bomb is why the combine come to conquer the planet. The Borealis, when it's traveling through time and space to get to the Combine, are precisely what make them notice the planet. Lol what an awesome gut punch ending.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the leak for Episode 3, they find the borealis and figure out they can use it to warp to the combine home world and turn it into, essentially, an interdimensional nuke that'll take them all out. So Gordon and Alyx are fighting while the Borealis phases in and out of time and space and they eventually land right in front of the Combine home world in the past, way before HL2 even happened, and they see how huge their empire is. Gordon witnesses them completing a dyson sphere - a theoretical structure that completely surrounds a sun to harness all of it's power at once. He sees their empire and it's impossibly vast, larger than what can possibly be imagined. The leak describes him feeling a dread of hopelessness as he realizes the bomb they created would be so small as to be essentially a mosquito bite to their empire. And even worse, that the borealis in the first place is what alerts the combine to earth to begin with. Their bomb is why the combine come to conquer the planet. The Borealis, when it's traveling through time and space to get to the Combine, are precisely what make them notice the planet. Lol what an awesome gut punch ending.

I don't think this is accurate. The Combine found Earth via the portal storms post Half Life, The Borealis was just something they probably discovered and wanted to get their hands on.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is accurate. The Combine found Earth via the portal storms post Half Life, The Borealis was just something they probably discovered and wanted to get their hands on.

I thought that was the whole point of the time travel shit. They were going to strike way back in the past before the combine had noticed earth, and inadvertently become the reason they payed earth attention in the first place. They saw use use teleportation and time travel technology right in front of them, and then when they came to earth, it was covered in portal shit from HL1 and they just went nuts.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Surely the tech being developed at Aperture, in regards to the various gels, AI and portal devices surely would have been found by someone right? Im sure they had enough value to not have been found and forgotten about. And as we learn during the events of Portal 2, the facility has pretty much been abandoned for anywhere from 1000-50000 years and running on reserve power.

So what were the Combine doing on Earth that they completely missed a building drawing ridiculous amounts of power (enough to keep 10000 test subjects alive for a good amount of time).

Did I miss something?

Doesn't exactly answer your question, but dangling threads in Portal 2 and at the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 indicate that some portal technology exists on the ship, Borealis, which the Combine and Judith Mossman were racing each other to in the Arctic, and Gordon and Alyx were to head next.

This indicated that the Portal tech would have come into play and possibly been the key to one side winning the war. The Half-Life writer's story doc for Episode 3 confirmed this.

So what you wanted would have eventually come into play, without the Combine having ever entered Aperture Science.

"Our peers at Aperture Science were at work on a project of some promise, but in their rush to beat Black Mesa for funding, they must have compromised ordinary standards of risk. We heard their research vessel had simply disappeared. Vanished with all hands... even part of the dry dock! "

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Again, 100% agreed. The level of irony Valve's writer's implemented in Portal 1 and 2 for example is so great yet they still managed to keep it E10+. It's something I think few authors are capable of reproducing these days.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but cry inside every time I see Half-Life mentioned. A crime against humanity that we don't get sequel. I miss that FPS platforming gameplay that only Half Life did so well.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
you need to go replay Half Life 2 and pay attention to the story told through the surrounding areas, lol. Go read news paper clippings and listen to radios as they chatter and letters left on desks and such. You can do all that in Half-Life 2. There is actually an enormous backstory to both Half Life and Portal, all told entirely through secondary background items that are super missable if you don't pay attention. There is a huge, global invasion. It's called the 7-hour war, because that's how long it took for humanity to surrender. The world in Half Life 2 is really fucked, they're right in the middle of teraforming it in an awful way. Humanity has already lost in Half Life 2, we're being extinguished essentially.

The stuff about the combine in particular is pretty horrifying. The combine aren't a singular race or entity of creatures, they're genetically engineered "things" that they assimilate like the borg. The Combine are like this mix of the flood and the borg, who are slowly conquering the entire universe. They go from planet to planet, taking every resource they can and making it their own, then using that planet as a base to launch new attacks. They assimilate everything, from languages to resources like the oceans to the things that live their themselves. The combine in Half Life 2 are actually sort of the old parts of humanity and other worlds that the combine have collectively absorbed.

The portal side of the story is all a lot more light hearted, actually laugh out loud funny in lots of places. The shit that started half life was basically a response to aperture science's portal technology, as they and black mesa were rival companies. Aperture Science's portal technology, however, started as a replacement for shower curtains, because their leader, Cave Johnson, was basically senile and hit his head on the ground one day. Aperture Science began as a shower curtain manufacturer, who got into theoretical sciences looking to build better shower curtains.

Holy fuck. I've replayed HL2 like 5 times and have never realized there was so much story in game. I read most of the wiki but didn't realize there were things to read in game. How about HL1? I love this universe and anything I can read about, is awesome.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I can't help but cry inside every time I see Half-Life mentioned. A crime against humanity that we don't get sequel. I miss that FPS platforming gameplay that only Half Life did so well.
I can't even remember the last time I played an fps with platforming segments we really need more of that these days.

OP
OP
galv

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck. I've replayed HL2 like 5 times and have never realized there was so much story in game. I read most of the wiki but didn't realize there were things to read in game. How about HL1? I love this universe and anything I can read about, is awesome.
Half-Life 1 less so, but it's a story more told by what you see around Black Mesa. There's definitely a lot of easily missed details in the game.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The background info in the Half-Life universe is pretty dang amazing. The only question I ever had was how close to the original Portal took place to the events of Half-Life/HL2. I always assumed the original was based pre-Combine invasion based mainly around the state of the base, the brief glimpse at the outside, and references to Chell's parents and their possible age.

You also get some brief indication of this early in the game when you're given a count on how long Chell had been "asleep."

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
It sucks that the mentality behind Half-life was that each game had be some kind of ground-breaking/revelatory experience. People just want to experience more stories in the Half-life universe, and to see more of Gordan Freeman's story.