• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He never said ANYTHING about the series s. Y'all need to calm down and read. Holy cow. It's not like the game is coming out tomorrow, they will do what they need to and make the ps5 version solid.

I think that's the point... he really shouldn't probably post if its still got a lot of time in the oven... because gamedev is hard and if its just build issues that he is certain will be fixed, what is the aim of the tweets other than to push a negative narrative?

Game is still in dev, everyone is saying it will be ok
Trailers are not 1080p are they?
Where is Xbox S S version, how can that not be running at 600p at this point.

It's all a bit confusing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So to cut through all the console warrior shit, based on what is known about these boxes what could be the cause?
typical project management shit. you could literally have it turn into 180 and then the other systems are having issues. These kind of things are only an issue if they are late into development and even then they usually can fix whatever then need to do. It could literally be anything.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Maybe I find the timing a bit dodgy. Ignoring that, there is still the big problem of consciously, as a person with a following, relaying dev info that he has limited technical know on, off into the world to be digest by an audience with even less technical know how than himself, who then draw huge conclusions right around this time of the PS5 Price reveal. Especially when he is conscious about how this might appear as console warring. There was literally no need to report on this

The amount of issues you have daily that gets fixed daily would make peoples head spin if they knew about it. You would have threads like this every day about multiple projects claiming huge problem left and right. Game development is always in flux and ESPECIALLY around the release of new hardware.

so in the end its just a dumb thing to release this info since people dont understand what they are reading and draw wild conclusions that naturally get used as ammo in console wars

youre not actually addressing anything he said other than speaking in general platitudes and insulting a member of this forum.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

Wow, so a lot of info here and I appreciate it if it's all accurate and it indeed sucks if it's causing issues, but this sentence makes it seem like we never would have known and it could all be fine?

The PS5 version ultimately will release working fine

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It could have issues, absolutely, but a 18% difference in raw power does not make a 4k/60fps game 1080/unplayable in the other one. So, either Capcom has a massive issue or the source is unreliable.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Bit weird how the discussion is apparently being made on if they should make it cross-gen yet at the same time the PS5 is struggling to run the game. Wouldn't that definitely end any discussion of a PS4 and Xbox One version?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is weird that they are having issues with this game considering that is heavily promoted by Sony. Shouldn't that make it the top priority for Capcom?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This would be fine if people where more aware of the ins and out of game development, but that is not the reality, so I do not think this should have been reported on.
hell even just even being on literally any project. I have yet to ever be on any project and nothing at all goes wrong, its always something this is why stuff like this is literally a waste of everyones time.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's the point... he really shouldn't probably post if its still got a lot of time in the oven... because gamedev is hard and if its just build issues that he is certain will be fixed, what is the aim of the tweets other than to push a negative narrative?

Because it's an interesting tidbit about game dev?

People immediately going full defense force over this are pretty revealing about themselves honestly.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I actually kind of disagree. I think issues affecting one console not affecting another console due to engine or sdk tools is an interesting story leading up to the launch. Also, I think the more transparent things are about development and how hard optimization is and how things come together so close to launch of a game would give people more appreciation for game development. It might make devs more willing to show off early work warts and all with less people going, "hurr hurr looks like hot garbage...downgrades..lazy devs...etc". I think the whole secrecy around the industry is actually detrimental to it.

I take it you've never been part of a technical team for...any field. These war stories are cool to be shared with the public after the fact, but they are absolutely shouldn't be part of a public discourse during development.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These sorts of comments from "insiders" or whatever are pretty damn stupid. It literally only serves to fuel dumb fanboyism type stuff.

You people would go crazy being in a game studio for a single day if you think something like this is news worthy.

There's always going to be an issue in development. People are literally solving problems every moment of the day.

Can you imagine....

Build breaks
News story - Game is totally unplayable...

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
BS. If the 6tf difference from the S and PS5 isn't doing shit, then no way the 2 from the X and PS5 is. PS5/XSX are so alike aside from 2tf.

Nov 23, 2017
Honestly, I don't care about this news to the extent that it makes me worried about the game. They're working on it and they'll fix it by launch or with a patch. Not concerned.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day users with information not known to the public were vetted by one of the admins and if they weren't able to provide proof they got banned. And if they did they got vetted and almost no one took their information into question.

whatever happened to that?!

Oct 28, 2017
Bit weird how the discussion is apparently being made on if they should make it cross-gen yet at the same time the PS5 is struggling to run the game. Wouldn't that definitely end any discussion of a PS4 and Xbox One version?
I believe the argument is they are scaling back the next gen versions because of PS5 struggling. So might as well make it cross gen at that point. I shudder to think of how awful an og XB1 version would be. Really wish they would just lower the res/effects on ps5 as needed instead of making it cross gen.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Back in the day users with information not known to the public were vetted by one of the admins and if they weren't able to provide proof they got banned. And if they did they got vetted and almost no one took their information into question.

whatever happened to that?!

We already have confirmation that he has Capcom sources. He literally leaked two things announced today from Capcom.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Because it's an interesting tidbit about game dev?

People immediately going full defense force about this is pretty revealing about themselves honestly.
That's the thing though: it's not particularly interesting. We could literally have a dozen threads a week saying the same thing for both consoles, and the following week we could hear about the exact same games have new issues on the opposite platform.

It would be great if we could talk about this in a dispassionate environment without biases and ignorance coming into play that make gamers act like fanatic children. But we know we can't.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
That's the thing though: it's not particularly interesting. We could literally have a dozen threads a week saying the same thing for both consoles, and the following week we could hear about the exact same games have new issues on the opposite platform.

It would be great if we could talk about this in a dispassionate environment without biases and ignorance coming into play that make gamers act like fanatic children. But we know we can't.

Counterpoint: I thought the brand new trailer of this very game we got yesterday looked rough.
So I do find it interesting and topical.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe the trouble being had is with PSVR development? (Assuming this game potentially has that...and double assuming PSVR is playable on PS5)

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
The biggest difference between the systems that could explain this is the use of direct x on pc and Xbox vs the OpenGL reliance of ps.
It's most likely an optimization issue with the engine that I'm sure Capcom will sort.
You don't get to be a headline title at these events without a good relationship with Sony and if there is an issue with the ps5 build of this game, Sony is aware and helping get things in order with capcom.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Not defense... just gamedev is hard and most issues get resolved without users even knowing there was a problem. It's all a bit click baity...

But that's already what a reasonable person would take away from his tweets anyway, instead I see like a third of the replies in this thread people being mad or overly defensive, and it's pretty obvious that's it's a lot of kneejerk fanboyism.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
In the end of the day, knowing Capcom history with Resident Evil, the game will run fine on all next-gen consoles and everyone will be happy and this thread will be just a collection of embarrassing assumptions...I think people will have all the rights to complain if the game ships in a bad state on the PS5, but until that happen, this is nothing.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
But that's already what a reasonable person would take away from his tweets anyway, instead I see like a third of the replies in this thread people being mad or overly defensive, and it's pretty obvious that's it's a lot of kneejerk fanboyism.

The point is we knew that would happen regarding console wars (and he obviously knew), and what he said has zero relevance because it's the way not only game development works , but project managing of all kinds works (as he knows as well) so what's the point, really?

Unless he doesn't really understand one of the two previous points it doesn't make sense to do it all over again

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's due to driver/api differences. I wouldn't put it past Capcom to have a direct line to Sony engineers to help sort out the issues, given how high profile the game is.

Deleted member 25128

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think what is being brought into question is the timing of said tweets and the comment "it will be all ok", so ultimately its pointless conversation (and one he can just claim.. oh I said it would be ok in the end guys)... thus bringing into view why he is doing this... as I made a joke in another post, games in dev break all the time.. but its not news because that's what happens in dev. If they ship with it, then that would be news. Of course if we had lots of devs saying PS5 tools are crap and performance is poor, I would be worried, but its been the opposite in posts.

I cannot imagine if a game is running at 4k with some performance issues why they wouldn't just upscale to 4k and use that extra juice... but now they are considering making it a Multiplatform game again and one of the reasons is that... nah - that would be a joke post in most cases.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I take it you've never been part of a technical team for...any field. These war stories are cool to be shared with the public after the fact, but they are absolutely shouldn't be part of a public discourse during development.
i agree. It kills morale on a project when shit like this comes out.

That's fine. But you aren't the grand decider of what's interesting lol. My point was that his recent tweets were relevant to something that just happened.
interesting is a stretch, its literally just a tuesday or a week or a month for a development project.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
So dialing down other versions or considering going cross gen
while other versions are mentioned to be running just fine because of a ps5 issue isn't worth discussing ?

But thats the thing, how much of this is Dusk hearing or is his own conjecture? How much was said because the conversation is too one-sided today?

The thing is the PS5 performance would have no bearing on whether or not to do Crossgen. Console builds have varying performance at different times and if there was a version on next gen that made capcom consider if they should implement lower quality assets and make it cross gen it would be the series S, because it uses lower quality assets, not the PS5.

To put it in perspective, the gap between the two consoles at the top end is so slim that if they ran the game at 4k on series X and Checkerboard 4k on PS5, The Ps5 version would run much better than the series X, that's how close they are. Running the exact same game at the exact same specs would literally be a 10% performance increase on the series X assuming it is not CPU restricted (consoles are basically same CPU)

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Series X will look better. PS5 will sell more.

If you only have one of the two consoles, none of this matters.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So dialing down other versions or considering going cross gen
while other versions are mentioned to be running just fine because of a ps5 issue isn't worth discussing ?
Not really no, because that point honestly doesn't make any sense, and doesn't provide any information conducive to constructive discussion.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's due to driver/api differences. I wouldn't put it past Capcom to have a direct line to Sony engineers to help sort out the issues, given how high profile the game is.
I think this is most likely it. For whatever reason the RE8 development tools seem to be meshing better with Xbox's API. This is not an issue of the PS5 being underpowered or whatever. I'm sure the software engineers at Capcom and Sony will get it sorted out.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Development fluctuates and the PS5 is new hardware. This'll probably be ironed out and if not it's not necessarily an indication there's huge problems with the hardware. Time will tell.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not really no, because that point honestly doesn't make any sense, and doesn't provide any information conducive to constructive discussion.
^ In light of this, and how we don't think those tweets are particularly thread-worthy to begin with, we're locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.