• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the RE Engine part of the title when I firsted looked and was afraid they were making a game longer than RE6.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dusk said it started off as RE8, and because it was a lot weirder it was changed to Rev 3, but then development with the "new" RE8 wasn't good as well and so that got changed and then Rev 3 went back to being RE8.
Yeah thats what i mean, theres still that other project which he hasnt said has been cancelled, so its probably shaping into something else

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer shorter Resident Evils. They tend to drag a bit when they try to pad them out. Give me a good 5-7 hour first play through rather then a slog fest.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats what i mean, theres still that other project which he hasnt said has been cancelled, so its probably shaping into something else

If I had to guess we will likely get RE8 -> RE4R -> NuRE8 -> RE9 (this one completes the "Ethan" trilogy or w/e you wanna call it)

Maybe the NuRE8 will become Rev 3? haha.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it comes to pc vr this time, most likely will get one of those revisions of the quest so would suck if it doesn't support vr on pc :(

If it has VR I would be surprised if they didn't support PCVR right out of the gate. I also still wouldn't be shocked if somewhere between now and RE8 launch RE7 PC gets a VR patch.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If it is well paced and varied till the end, awesome. I never can get enough of good games. :)

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The length of the remakes was good for me but if they are gonna do justice to Resident Evil 4 with the remake they can't make a 5-7 hour game. I hope they don't pad 8's story past the point of fun as an overcompensation of the criticism of the remakes.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't want the game to be long and padded just to do it. I'd rather have a shorter, more focused and pleasant experience. I had personally thought RE7 had started to overstay its welcome towards the end.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not mad at this!

the back half of RE7 wasnt as strong, but still love that game. if they go full CapGod they can make a great all around 15-20 hour game.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I'll take a wait and see approach.

Dusk mentioned that RE3 would be semi open world with the subway acting as a travel hub (forgive me, I'm paraphrasing from memory) which turned out to not be true. As he'll come in here and say, things can change along the way during development.

We dont need dusk coming in here and stating obvious that yes, things change in development... when it comes to RE, i trust Dusk 100%. He proved himself way too many times to have some people doubt him.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How long was RE3? I don't want my Resident evil games to be tens of hours long. I'd rather a shorter, swiftly paced thing tbh.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it comes to pc vr this time, most likely will get one of those revisions of the quest so would suck if it doesn't support vr on pc :(

I've always wondered if the PSVR version of RE7 could run on a Quest? I ask because the visual fidelity for RE7 is lowered significantly when played on PSVR to maintain frame rate.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So Dusk is basically saying that based on his info RE8 and RE4 will both be long. That would be nice considering how butchered RE3R was in comparison to the original game.

Feb 24, 2018
My biggest hope for RE8 is the return of interesting non-humanoid monsters. Honestly that's been on of the most disappointing things about the series post 6 (which has been WAY better than Resident Evil 6 but when it comes to monster designs and variety, RE6 and Revelations 1 beats 7 by a long shot).

RE7's monsters were such a disappointment given the concept the established, most feeling like rehashes of old ones and the Remakes cutting many of the animal and non-humanoid monsters. It's a shame because their so much that hasn't been explored or can be expanded upon especially if this continues the
The E-Virus and the mold monsters.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Isn't the best thing about Resident Evil games that they don't fucking overstay their welcome? I mean even Resi 1 and 2 Remakes are a bit too long I would say. I really hope it's not bloated and is still fun to speedrun.

Shorter, more focused - Shorter, more focused - Shorter, more focused

should be the mantra tbh

and pathing variance so that speedruns are not all the same from day 1

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, no thanks.
RE7 was far longer than it needed to be, with whole sections that just weren't any good.
RE2 Remake: the sewers and labs were too drawn out.
RE3 was a great length without much in the way of filler. Don't listen to people upset that it "wasn't a faithful remake like RE2".

Pacing and quality is what matters, not length. Most games are too long and should have been edited down.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The length of RE3 wasn't the problem so much as it was how linear and shallow it was, compounded by its short length.

I hope RE8 isn't TOO long. 8-12 hours is honestly the sweet spot.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Does this mean it will be longer than RE6? I'm not sure if I'm on board with that. RE7 was perfect in that department!

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Length isn't RE3's biggest problem anyway it's how linear it is outside of Downtown Raccoon City and cutting areas from the original game and replacing them with crap like the sewers and another nest.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Longer than RE4 ? That would be a feat (and also may feel like dragging), because RE4 is a pretty huge game first time, before you have all the unlockables or previously upgraded stuff.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Felt like RE7 was too long itself personally but maybe that's just because things got less interesting after the Baker's house.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Keep in mind that like a 10 hour game would still be larger than RE7/RE2R/RE3R. We're not necessarily talking about a 30-40 hour epic.

Oct 27, 2017
Length isn't an issue. REmake 3 being as long as it was isn't the problem. The problem is the fact it felt rushed and didn't remake huge chunks of the original. Then there is Nemesis who was turned into a useless, pathetic monster that can't do his job...

I am fearing Capcom took the wrong message from how the REmake 3 was recieved.

God damn it I feel frustrated as hell
WelloffCooperativeAlleycat-size_restricted.gif

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy with the news, but RE3 really deserved to be longer. This game really had the potential to be the best in the series. Capcom had a chance to let us finally explore Raccoon City and they blew it. Everyone wanted more Raccoon City streets in RE2R so I was shocked at how little of a section the streets were in R3make.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
So in terms of what games are in dev, didn't Dusk say that current RE8 used to be Revelations 3 - so in addition to that, we should have RE4R and then whatever the original RE8 (presumably now 9) is?

Oct 27, 2017
So in terms of what games are in dev, didn't Dusk say that current RE8 used to be Revelations 3 - so in addition to that, we should have RE4R and then whatever the original RE8 (presumably now 9) is?
Started as RE8
Capcom wasn't sure if it was fit to be a mainline game but liked the concept so much it turned into REV3
RE9 was turned into RE8 but ran into problems
REV3 turned back into RE8 and got some changes

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Not sure if that is a good thing in my eyes. I really like shorter RE games (especially the origina 3) with big replayability value,

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
RE3 pacing and length felt like a throwback to the good days of tight experiences.

It felt just right.....so much so that you start a New Game+ immediately.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Length doesn't necessarily mean quality, but it doesn't hurt either. I'll admit fatigue set in in the latter portions of REVII, but that's not due to length, that's due to bland environments and a lack of the Baker family (Evie... was not a great antagonist). The game had essentially showed us everything cool by the halfway point (didn't even give us any new monsters for the endgame--and the Mold all blurred together). I think the Island in RE4 dragged, but at least we got Regeneardores. RE2 was well-paced, I thought--it's just 2nd run was a drag (honestly, should've just had the two scenarios, instead of two scenarios and "replay the game with a shittier handgun to fight the final boss" set of scenarios).

Didn't it "die" for the hypothetical RE4R though (to the extent one didn't like it)? Dev 1 helped out, but 3 was mainly a shakedown cruise for MTwo.

I would actually kill for another 25 hour RE game

Give 6 shit all you want but it was still absolutely packed to the BRIM with unique content, there wasnt actually all that much reused areas for filler besides the few crossover sections

In a lot of ways, 6 was impressive. In a lot of other ways (or I guess the same ways), it was dumb as a sack of hammers. I liked the core mechanics of it, how it played. But a lot of the big setpieces sucked--any time a vehicle was involved was frustration, and the stealth segment with Ustanak in the caves was a garbagefire (not difficult, just... sucked).

Last edited: