• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the "surprise game"

• Outbreak (new game or remake/remaster)

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • RE1 remake

Votes: 177 21.9%
  • Revelations 3 (finally)

Votes: 108 13.4%
  • Resident Evil 5 remake

Votes: 191 23.7%
  • Resident Evil Code Veronica remake

Votes: 258 32.0%

• Total voters

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
I admittedly don't know the differences. But from the outside it looks like a Crash Remastered kind of situation. It's a 1:1 remake, but it's not a remake in the sense of RE2-4 or FFVII.
This is factually incorrect.
Resident Evil 1996 and 2002 are completely different games, down to enemy placement, new locales, different dialogue, cutscenes, gameplay and overall presentation of the story.
It is by no means a 1:1 remake of the 1996 game.

For instance, in the 1996 game Jill's campaign does not feature the Sword Key because her Lockpick unlocks the Sword doors. 2002 Jill has to get the Sword Key just like Chris.

Also, REmake adds a whole plethora of lore tidbits that tie the original trilogy together - Lisa Trevor is the reason why the G-virus exists, for instance. And she's not present in the 1996 game.

On topic: I take anything and everything Dusk Golem says with a huge pinch of salt.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Resident Evil 5 is a problem because it's not a bad game. It's a great game - but it is the gameplay of RE4 with the soul of Gears of War. And I mean, I like Gears of War. But RE5 is when Capcom sold their soul for the sake of chasing money.

It's a dangerous game to go back to.
I wasn't really making a point on a potential RE5 remake, I don't know how I feel about that tbh. I was just taking an opportunity to dunk on RE6. I take every available opportunity to dunk on RE6, because it is RE6.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
This is factually incorrect.
Resident Evil 1996 and 2002 are completely different games, down to enemy placement, new locales, different dialogue, cutscenes, gameplay and overall presentation of the story.
It is by no means a 1:1 remake of the 1996 game.

For instance, in the 1996 game Jill's campaign does not feature the Sword Key because her Lockpick unlocks the Sword doors. 2002 Jill has to get the Sword Key just like Chris.

Also, REmake adds a whole plethora of lore tidbits that tie the original trilogy together - Lisa Trevor is the reason why the G-virus exists, for instance. And she's not present in the 1996 game.

On topic: I take anything and everything Dusk Golem says with a huge pinch of salt.
Didn't know this, thank you.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
There is no salvaging RE5. If they remake it, they deserve to be laughed into deep space.
The first time I thought about RE5 remake, I thought like the game has to be changed completely right? To have it fit in with the rest of the remake series? Like it's such a departure from the other games. It's basically an action shooter with zombies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The first time I thought about RE5 remake, I thought like the game has to be changed completely right? To have it fit in with the rest of the remake series? Like it's such a departure from the other games. It's basically an action shooter with zombies.

Plus, y'know. All the racism.

It needs to be a completely different game, and at that point it's not worth being a remake of RE5 at all.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
Plus, y'know. All the racism.

It needs to be a completely different game, and at that point it's not worth being a remake of RE5 at all.
Yeah. I remember thinking like it's gotta be changed so much it won't even be a remake it'll be like a redo. Or rewrite. Like have to completely overwrite the original and pretend it doesn't exist lol. I guess we'll see what happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly its genre isnt even its biggest issue lol. Its how protrayl of black africans, especially the tribes. Thats the elephant in the room

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is one of those series like Yakuza/LaD where I don't care if they pump them out yearly, just give me the good stuff. They've been on a roll.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I hold that the only reason RE5 is "liked" is because it was a formative online co-op experience that came out when the 360 was on fire. It could have been literally any other game, people just wanted more Gears-like games.

That's why if people suggest a RE5 remake without co-op, shit hits the fan. All the nostalgia is completely embedded in playing a game with your buddy in a way you weren't able to before Xbox Live.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
He says it'll catch people off guard, so it can't be the most expected RE5 or even RE1 REmakes.

I'm still hoping for 0 Remake, or maybe Revelations 3 (whatever it is, please come tonthe Switch).

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
He says it'll catch people off guard, so it can't be the most expected RE5 or even RE1 REmakes.

I'm still hoping for 0 Remake, or maybe Revelations 3 (whatever it is, please come tonthe Switch).
It'll be a brand new Resident Evil 5. A completely new game that has little or no connection to the original, but carries on from the recent remakes.

This will lead into a completely new RE6, which will also connect to the existing RE 7/8. Thus rewriting the entire franchise.

Or at least that's my crackpot theory.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I hope the next re game is a new revelations game and not a remake. I think rev2 showed how capcom was willing to experiment a bit with the side games and I'd like to see what they'd come up with for a rev3

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Code
Veronicaldg.png
plz.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
The first RE 1 remake is still an absolute perfect game in combination of being a straight puzzle adventure and horror game, there is no need of remaking this into some generic 3D zombie shooter.

If anything Code Veronica could need some love.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The first RE 1 remake is still an absolute perfect game in combination of being a straight puzzle adventure and horror game, there is no need of remaking this into some generic 3D zombie shooter.

I mean if it is given the quality of RE2 Remake, I'd be absolutely fine with having two equally great yet different versions of RE1. But since none of these games have had the quality of RE2 Remake since RE2 Remake, that's a big "if".

Code Veronica is never going to happen, though. People can say they want the full story in the remake series as much as they want. "Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake" is never going to sell enough copies to justify making it. There's a reason they jumped to RE4.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

The re1 remake still exists on modern platforms and there are plenty of re fans who think the tank controls are ass and the overall design is unwelcoming. No reason for capcom not to remake it especially since it would likely make a lot of money.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Not to mention we've gotten a substantial Jill upgrade and she deserves more time in the spotlight.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
RE5 is the most boring thing they could do.

1) You would basically have to scrap the premise of the games story, setting, etc, to not be a racist dumpster fire and then what even is the point of calling it RE5? Just make a new game(or remake something more interesting). ……They aren't going to go that big for RE5 lol

2) Visual remakes to early HD era games aren't nearly as interesting as prior era games and, graphically, RE5 was one of the better looking games of its time.

3) There's no getting around the fact that it would still star Chris with Sheva as a sidekick

ket

Jul 27, 2018

1) You would basically have to scrap the premise of the games story, setting, etc, to not be a racist dumpster fire and then what even is the point of calling it RE5? Just make a new game(or remake something more interesting). ……They aren't going to go that big for RE5 lol

2) Visual remakes to early HD era games aren't nearly as interesting as prior era games and, graphically, RE5 was one of the better looking games of its time.

3) There's no getting around the fact that it would still star Chris with Sheva as a sidekick
This is a bit off-topic but i still find it funny how re5 spends its entire runtime trying to build up the relationship btwn chris and sheva even though sheva is a bland character who's barely a factor in the story and disappears from the series after her debut lol

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Unless it's Outbreak, I am so sick of the REmake ideas. The RE games hold up and play fine and are easily accessible. Give us more spin offs or new ideas.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Funny and would caught a lot of people off guard?
Im curious if it's something entirely different type of RE game. The way Dusk described this RE game that it's like Silent Hill became an interactive television series with SH Ascension, funny and would really caught us off guard.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Didn't know this, thank you.
No problem!
You might have gotten things mixed up because Resident Evil HD Remaster was released in 2015 and is a remaster of the 2002 game, which is a remake of the 1996 original.
It would be incredibly hard to pull off a respectful game out of the premise, yeah. But RE5, as it stands, still needs to be set in Africa because of how the series had teased the origins of the T-virus - Dead Aim teased it, specifically. I guess they could go for a different direction in the remakes, but they haven't done so yet and the RE4 remake teases the plot of RE5, so...
Manifesting an Outbreak remake or remaster.
An Outbreak remake, including dedicated servers and a reworked online, would be a dream come true. Playing it nowadays just showcases how much of the game's online capabilities are archaic and wouldn't be acceptable in the current gaming landscape, even though it is perfectly functional. Last time I played, there was a clear desync issue between players and the server.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want re-REmake to be a lower budget or outsourced stopgap between REmake 4 and RE9. it deserves as much time, love and resources as any other RE game ever received.

so hopefully it's just some dumb spinoff that will assuredly be average-to-bad as usual (unless they are able to do a remake justice by doing it "on the side" but I doubt it).

Aki

Mar 20, 2020

Pardon my ignorance but what was racist about Resi 5?

Also, I really enjoyed Sheva and really hope we get a remake at some point! As my second resident evil game (and the first I ever completed) the coop was really fun!

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
It would be incredibly hard to pull off a respectful game out of the premise, yeah. But RE5, as it stands, still needs to be set in Africa because of how the series had teased the origins of the T-virus - Dead Aim teased it, specifically. I guess they could go for a different direction in the remakes, but they haven't done so yet and the RE4 remake teases the plot of RE5, so...
I like the idea that Capcom feels their hands are tied creatively because of something established in Dead Aim.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
If they do a South Africa or a South Africa themed country then they can make the locals racially diverse.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon my ignorance but what was racist about Resi 5?

Also, I really enjoyed Sheva and really hope we get a remake at some point! As my second resident evil game (and the first I ever completed) the coop was really fun!

There are better people than me that can lay this out for you but for starters, big pretty white man travels across seas to a less developed area and murders darker skinned people frothing at the mouth. Might as well just do a dramatized celebration of Christopher Columbus' massacre of the Taino, we'll just say they were all zombies!

The game cares about Chris. Not Sheva.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Resident Evil is one of those series like Yakuza/LaD where I don't care if they pump them out yearly, just give me the good stuff. They've been on a roll.
Imagine if Resident Evil went back to yearly releases. I'd personally love that, but man... It used to be pretty bad. lol

I mean, look at how the series used to be:
Resident Evil (1996)
Resident Evil Director's Cut (1997, a stopgap rerelease because of RE2 getting rebooted)
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Resident Evil 2 Dualshock Ver. (1998)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999)
Resident Evil Survivor (2000)
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica (2000)
Biohazard CODE: Veronica the Complete Edition (2001)
Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X (2001)
Resident Evil Survivor 2: CODE Veronica (2001)
Resident Evil Gaiden (2001)
Resident Evil (2002)
Resident Evil Zero (2002)
Resident Evil Dead Aim (2003)
Resident Evil Outbreak (2003)
Resident Evil Outbreak File#2 (2003)

Not gonna lie I got kinda tired typing/looking this up. lol
I like the idea that Capcom feels their hands are tied creatively because of something established in Dead Aim.
I mean, yeah. lmao
I'd be personally pissed if they ignored it because it's something that's been established for 20 years at this point. But I get why they should change it.
If they do a South Africa or a South Africa themed country then they can make the locals racially diverse.
I don't think RE5 lacks in racial diversity as much as it relies on racist depictions, especially in regards to the Ndipaya tribe.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
You know, it's been a year or two since Capcom's last attempt at trying to make a multiplayer RE game a thing. Maybe it's time for another 🤣