• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the "surprise game"

• Outbreak (new game or remake/remaster)

Votes: 73 9.0%
  • RE1 remake

Votes: 177 21.9%
  • Revelations 3 (finally)

Votes: 108 13.4%
  • Resident Evil 5 remake

Votes: 191 23.6%
  • Resident Evil Code Veronica remake

Votes: 259 32.1%

• Total voters
Apr 5, 2022
A CV Remake is inevitable as is a Remake of 5

As long as they dont treat crossdressing people as freaks which I'm sure people took offense to when they played the OG game we're good, I'm curious how they would do the Alfred character without offending anyone or making someone uncomfortable. Darkside Chronicles didnt even fix that aspect either in the Code Veronica section, so I'm sure Capcom is treading carefully around that if they were to remake it but I've noticed Capcom has been remaking numbered titles, never "the side games"and just like how RE8 was the blueprint of RE4 Remake? RE4 Remake's AI section looks like it was testing sections for RE5 Remake, we'll see what Capcom does.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Capcom would have to care about CV
They know the fans want it, it's really that simple
As long as they dont treat crossdressing people as freaks which I'm sure people took offense to when they played the OG game we're good. Darkside Chronicles didnt even fix that aspect either, I'm sure Capcom is treading carefully around that if they were to remake it but I've noticed Capcom has been remaking numbered titles, never "the side games."and just like how RE8 was the blueprint of RE4 Remake? RE4 Remake's AI section looks like it was testing sections for RE5 Remake, we'll see what Capcom does.
I'm more worried about how they'd handle RE5's racist elements then the more questionable stuff in CV. CV's issues are easier to fix. RE5 in some ways needs to be a whole different game

Apr 5, 2022

I'm more worried about how they'd handle RE5's racist elements then the more questionable stuff in CV

Let's be honest, both games have their problematic issues but despite all that both games are equally as fun to play (and has its fans.) I'm rooting for both. I'm just hoping Capcom will give care/love to either of them just like they did for RE2 Remake and RE4 Remake.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Not really, no.
RE5 was referenced in Village and teased in RE4 remake.

Code Veronica's last meaningful reference was in RE6, and Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier) before that. It's story isn't relevant to RE4 or 5's plot in any way, shape or form either. RE5 itself introduces the concept of the B.S.A.A., has the origins of every single viral agent in the series (the Stairway to the Sun flower and the Progenitor virus) and closes off the S.T.A.R.S. arc by having Chris face off against Wesker.

So, no. A CODE: Veronica remake is not as inevitable as RE5's.
Just because the fans want something, doesn't mean that Capcom will deliver. It took them YEARS to do a Resident Evil 2 remake, and they haven't said anything about Outbreak despite fan demand and insistence on social media for over a decade.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Inevitable seems incorrect. Capcom clearly favours the golden children of the series. So 2 and 4 initially (which is why their remakes are so good) but then 3's feels half finished in many places, feels like that one was rushed.

For CV... since we already got 4, I can see them just not really caring about it, and skipping ahead to 5 instead, which is absolutely gonna happen. Other than that, I see them just re-remaking RE1 again because they can, and because plenty of people will buy it.

CV is more difficult since its a way less popular game, I dont really believe that many people are asking for it (compared to other games), plus its a big game so they either gotta make notable cuts (axe Steve pls), but at the same time they might be wary of making cuts due to how people reacted in the past... we'll just have to wait and see what gets announced/released in the next few years.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
plus its a big game so they either gotta make notable cuts (axe Steve pls),

I see what you did there 😏

That being said I agree. I'd be SHOCKED if CV happens as much as I want it to. By far my favorite monster designs and some of my favorite boss fights in the series and some of those moments would be terrifying with 3rd person RE4 style gameplay/graphics.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I see what you did there 😏

That being said I agree. I'd be SHOCKED if CV happens as much as I want it to. By far my favorite monster designs and some of my favorite boss fights in the series and some of those moments would be terrifying with 3rd person RE4 style gameplay/graphics.
There's definitely some ace moments there. That Tyrant music was epic... Also loved the Nosfuratu creature design. Wonder how they'd make Bandersnatches less annoying though, doubt people would enjoy getting grabbed across the screen in it unless we are given a dodge or something.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Maybe they could fix the alfred stuff by having him speak to himself with alexa's voice. Have claire hear alexa's voice over the prison intercom in the beginning of the game, meaninglessly barking orders to the umbrella guards. then later on have her witness alfred speaking to himself and make her think that alfred was speaking on the intercom earlier.

BUT THEN

Have a scene later where claire meets alexa and thinks that it's alfred in disguise but she turns out to be wrong and it's the real alexa.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Inevitable seems incorrect. Capcom clearly favours the golden children of the series. So 2 and 4 initially (which is why their remakes are so good) but then 3's feels half finished in many places, feels like that one was rushed.

For CV... since we already got 4, I can see them just not really caring about it, and skipping ahead to 5 instead, which is absolutely gonna happen. Other than that, I see them just re-remaking RE1 again because they can, and because plenty of people will buy it.

CV is more difficult since its a way less popular game, I dont really believe that many people are asking for it (compared to other games), plus its a big game so they either gotta make notable cuts (axe Steve pls), but at the same time they might be wary of making cuts due to how people reacted in the past... we'll just have to wait and see what gets announced/released in the next few years.

Capcom sent a cease and decease to the RE CV fan remake game, and then there's the 5 RE games in the works... a proper CV remake better be one of them!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom sent a cease and decease to the RE CV fan remake game, and then there's the 5 RE games in the works... a proper CV remake better be one of them!
The C&D thing is interesting - I hadnt heard about the fan remake or Capcom shutting it down, that certainly makes me reconsider it happening. After all I think Capcom did similar around REmake 2's development?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
CV fans should be great full that they're not Outbreak fans, because unfortunately, a remake of that is probably the least likely to happen because there's like 5 of us begging for it lol.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Not really, no.
RE5 was referenced in Village and teased in RE4 remake.

Code Veronica's last meaningful reference was in RE6, and Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier) before that. It's story isn't relevant to RE4 or 5's plot in any way, shape or form either. RE5 itself introduces the concept of the B.S.A.A., has the origins of every single viral agent in the series (the Stairway to the Sun flower and the Progenitor virus) and closes off the S.T.A.R.S. arc by having Chris face off against Wesker.

So, no. A CODE: Veronica remake is not as inevitable as RE5's.

Just because the fans want something, doesn't mean that Capcom will deliver. It took them YEARS to do a Resident Evil 2 remake, and they haven't said anything about Outbreak despite fan demand and insistence on social media for over a decade.

It took them years to do 2 after the remake of 1….but it still happened. We will get a CV remake, if for no other reason that eventually it will be the only main title game without one, and it's very important story wise. Capcom has said they want to do more remakes, and after 5 the most requested remake is CV, not another re-remake of 1

Outbreak is a little different as that was always a spin off, but I think we will get an actual Outbreak type game eventually too.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
We will get a CV remake, if for no other reason that eventually it will be the only main title game without one, and it's very important story wise.
It really, really isn't. It's biggest contribution to the series' lore was Wesker being alive. Which is so big that they simply skipped the game that introduced it and just showed him in RE4 remake. Also, him being alive isn't a factor in RE5 because... He's presumed dead in that game as well.

Again, the only relevant thing coming out of CODE: Veronica was referenced in Darkside Chronicles and RE6 - the T-Veronica. That's it. Nothing else that happens in it has any relevance to the bigger picture. Not the Ashfords, not Claire being apprehended by Umbrella, not Chris coming to her rescue, not even Steve's body being taken by Wesker.

I'm not saying the story isn't good, nor am I saying that the plot is irrelevant. But "very important story-wise" isn't something you can say about CV.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It really, really isn't. It's biggest contribution to the series' lore was Wesker being alive. Which is so big that they simply skipped the game that introduced it and just showed him in RE4 remake. Also, him being alive isn't a factor in RE5 because... He's presumed dead in that game as well.

Again, the only relevant thing coming out of CODE: Veronica was referenced in Darkside Chronicles and RE6 - the T-Veronica. That's it. Nothing else that happens in it has any relevance to the bigger picture. Not the Ashfords, not Claire being apprehended by Umbrella, not Chris coming to her rescue, not even Steve's body being taken by Wesker.

I'm not saying the story isn't good, nor am I saying that the plot is irrelevant. But "very important story-wise" isn't something you can say about CV.
It's literally the game that explains why Wesker is alive. That's pretty story important

And it's the game that sets up the Chris/Wesker rivalry. You can't hand wave that stuff away. I mean you can, but I don't agree at all

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It took them years to do 2 after the remake of 1….but it still happened. We will get a CV remake, if for no other reason that eventually it will be the only main title game without one, and it's very important story wise. Capcom has said they want to do more remakes, and after 5 the most requested remake is CV, not another re-remake of 1

Outbreak is a little different as that was always a spin off, but I think we will get an actual Outbreak type game eventually too.

They'll remake RE1 for a *third* time before remaking CV. The demand for REmake Remake is way bigger than for a remake of CV. And by demand I mean the broad appeal the game will generate, and not polls from Era.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
anyone thinking CV remake wont happen is out of they minds

thats easy money on the table for capcom

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
And by demand I mean the broad appeal the game will generate, and not polls from Era.
resident evil 3 isnt widely loved and the remake still sold well cuz of marketing

capcom just needs to market the same way they been marketing

"here's the next big RE game, eat the slop up you pigs", but with more tact and flashy cutscenes

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
anyone thinking CV remake wont happen is out of they minds

thats easy money on the table for capcom
Their resident evil remake series is doing so well right now, I'm wondering why they just don't remake all of them. 1 and 5 are absolutely no brainers and I'd say just about guaranteed but 0, code veronica, 6 would do well just by being associated, I'd think.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Their resident evil remake series is doing so well right now, I'm wondering why they just don't remake all of them. 1 and 5 are absolutely no brainers and I'd say just about guaranteed but 0, code veronica, 6 would do well just by being associated, I'd think.
right now its about forward momentum

they aint doing an RE1 remake yet because the REMAKE franchise is moving forward and the mainline series is moving forward

when they run out of games to remake, thats when we'll see RE0 remake and then the big RE1 remake

speaking of forward momentum, CODE VERONICA

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
resident evil 3 isnt widely loved and the remake still sold well cuz of marketing

capcom just needs to market the same way they been marketing

"here's the next big RE game, eat the slop up you pigs", but with more tact and flashy cutscenes

I have little doubt that a CV would sell ok simply because it has a resident evil in the title. But 1) I don't think it would sell as well as numbered titles because it would be seen as a lesser entry and 2) because of that it makes more sense to Capcom to invest in something else. Revelations were great entries and sold less than RE6!

Morever, RE3 was only made because they could just reuse a bunch of assets from RE2. Unless RE9 takes place in a setting similar to CV, there is no way to do that.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I have little doubt that a CV would sell ok simply because it has a resident evil in the title. But 1) I don't think it would sell as well as numbered titles because it would be seen as a lesser entry and 2) because of that it makes more sense to Capcom to invest in something else. Revelations were great entries and sold less than RE6!

Morever, RE3 was only made because they could just reuse a bunch of assets from RE2. Unless RE9 takes place in a setting similar to CV, there is no way to do that.
you dont think they'd reuse assets from RE4 in Code Veronica? the one with the big island and factory setting and shit?

also, selling "not as well" as RE2/4 is still selling a fuckton more than they would not selling it at all

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
It's literally the game that explains why Wesker is alive. That's pretty story important

And it's the game that sets up the Chris/Wesker rivalry. You can't hand wave that stuff away. I mean you can, but I don't agree at all
Wesker being alive is so important that Capcom skipped it and yet he is shown to be alive in the RE4 remake.

Chris and Wesker's rivalry is not relevant to any game whatsoever, even RE5 skips it. Most of the game is Chris trying to find out if Jill is really alive and, if so, rescue her. When he does, despite finding Wesker there, he completely ignores him and tries to argue with Jill that she's more important. To which Jill replies that Chris is the only one who can stop Wesker.

Like, I agree that Code Veronica has interesting plot developments, but none of it is really relevant to the series overall. Even RE4's Las Plagas and Los Iluminados got more mileage than anything introduced in CV, including Wesker's hatred of Chris.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
i mean thats how it worked in the original RE4 as well

so far things are on schedule for code veronica remake
ily but you missed the point: CODE Veronica came out 4 years before the OG RE4.

RE4 remake came out before a CV remake.

Both feature Wesker, but only one of them had proper context from a prior entry as to why he was alive. If said context was not important for the remake, then CV isn't as relevant just because it features Wesker's return.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
you dont think they'd reuse assets from RE4 in Code Veronica? the one with the big island and factory setting and shit?

also, selling "not as well" as RE2/4 is still selling a fuckton more than they would not selling it at all

The island from RE4 and the island from Code Veronica are similar in the sense that they are pieces of land surrounded by water, and only half of CV takes place there. The other places in those games are also very different. You could reuse a few assets, for sure, just as devs always do, but nothing close to what RE3 could do using RE2.

And the compariosn is not CV with nothing. It's CV with other possibles projects. CV remake would sell way less than REmake 5, it would also sell way less than REmake remake. Hell, it might even sell less than Revelations 3. Better than nothing for sure, but what spend 1 mi to get 3 mi back if you can spend 1 mi to get 10 mi back?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The C&D thing is interesting - I hadnt heard about the fan remake or Capcom shutting it down, that certainly makes me reconsider it happening. After all I think Capcom did similar around REmake 2's development?
www.giantfreakinrobot.com

Capcom Is Shutting Down Its Own Fans

Capcom is taking some harsh measures against its fans, which we have to question the wisdom of just a little bit.

Yea, check out the videos on YouTube. The game looked fantastic! And yes, the same happened with RE2.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Wesker being alive is so important that Capcom skipped it and yet he is shown to be alive in the RE4 remake.

Chris and Wesker's rivalry is not relevant to any game whatsoever, even RE5 skips it. Most of the game is Chris trying to find out if Jill is really alive and, if so, rescue her. When he does, despite finding Wesker there, he completely ignores him and tries to argue with Jill that she's more important. To which Jill replies that Chris is the only one who can stop Wesker.

Like, I agree that Code Veronica has interesting plot developments, but none of it is really relevant to the series overall. Even RE4's Las Plagas and Los Iluminados got more mileage than anything introduced in CV, including Wesker's hatred of Chris.
And yet they will still remake CV.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think RE9 is internally delayed yet and don't think the rumors of it being open world is true.
Hopefully that "open world" rumor pertains to an Outbreak REmake, but I have no faith that such an ambitious project like this would ever exist.

It's interesting to think how Capcom would design Outbreak in today's climate. It was very much ahead of its time when the original released. Lots of great ideas and scenarios that can be expanded upon.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't see a 5 remake happening before a 1 Remake. Would be weird to cover the end of the Wesker saga before you even do the beginning.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
i think they hold off on the RE1 reremake until they have sommit really impressive to show off

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Hopefully that "open world" rumor pertains to an Outbreak REmake, but I have no faith that such an ambitious project like this would ever exist.

It's interesting to think how Capcom would design Outbreak in today's climate. It was very much ahead of its time when the original released. Lots of great ideas and scenarios that can be expanded upon.
A modern Outbreak would have to be inherently less reliant on teamwork to succeed with a broader audience. It could have moments of it in endgame stuff but most people just want to run around and explore at their leisure. I would almost want to outsource as a collaboration with Ubisoft. Use that Division tech for Raccoon City.