• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
BkDxtsO.jpg

Created by Josh Schwartz, Stephanie Savage and Sallie Patrick, the new Dynasty follows two of America's wealthiest families, the Carringtons and the Colbys, as they feud for control over their fortune and their children. The series will be told primarily through the perspectives of two women at odds: Fallon Carrington, daughter of billionaire Blake Carrington, and her soon-to-be stepmother, Cristal, a Hispanic woman marrying into this WASP family and America's most powerful class. Patrick wrote the pilot episode and executive produces with Schwartz and Savage.

Cast:
- Grant Show as Blake Carrington
- Nathalie Kelley as Cristal Flores
- Elizabeth Gillies as Fallon Carrington
- James Mackay as Steven Carrington
- Alan Dale as Joseph Anders
- Sam Adegoke as Jeff Colby
- Robert Christopher Riley as Michael Culhane
- Rafael de La Fuente as Sam Josiah "Sammy Jo" Flores

nVYB3Qu.jpg

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The last episode brought an interesting and unexpected end to the Claudia story. She was really crazy.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for letting me know there was a new thread! I had no idea.

I really enjoyed this last episode, a decent amount of tension, yeah, definitely an unexpected wrap up to some stuff with Claudia. I love the scenes with Sam and Anders that have been peppered throughout the last couple episodes.

This episode also gave a lot of warmth to Fallon, which was great to see. Apparently the dinner scenes took forever to film, they were on set til around 4-5 in the morning those days.

I'm really glad the show got the full season order. It's working it's way up there in my favorites of shows I'm currently watching.

Also, not sure if you saw they announced the casting for
Cecil Colby (Hakeem Kae-Kazim) and Alexis Carrington (Nicollette Sheridan)!

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Cool, never knew we had a OT for this. I really liked the lastest episode. Wrapped up the Claudia stuff, Sam and Anders are great. Fallon had some really good characterisation, personal family and with the driver. Steven and Jeff stuff is going to be the next big plotpoint.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is interesting what secrets Cristal is trying to hide. I like they're keeping up the secrets.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, she's definitely much more interesting than she was in the original. Same with Fallon. Honestly most of these characters.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Mid-season finale was great! I can't believe it's only been 9 episodes. Sounds like it comes back January 17th.

I think that last shot was the first big "WTF?" moment for me, I can't wait to see where that goes.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I was half-expecting the reveal that Sammy is her son instead of her nephew. It would be funny pretending Nathalie Kelley and Rafael de la Fuente aren't just one year apart.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I know being moved to a Friday night time slot on CW isn't necessarily the death sentence it could be on other networks, but it DOES make me anxious for the show. Hopefully it's performing well enough on international streaming and maybe once it comes to NA Netflix to secure a second season.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Tokyo Drift on television, Cristal looked really young.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoyed last night's episode, seeing everyone come together was cool, and I particularly loved Sammy Jo's arc. Can't wait for more!

Also I did a Fallon sketch last night because I loved her birthday look.
2rtRsdxZOG78qpQMClqR.jpg

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Even with the episode focused on Crystal's life she was the star of the episode. Great to have a One Tree Hill reference.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Also it was really cool to see so many scenes entirely in Spanish. Particularly long emotional beats like Sam reuniting with his dad.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This was a bad episode. But at least it shows which character we can still expect this season.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I ended up really liking it as a follow up to the last one. Last episode had everyone working together with the upper hand which was satisfying to finally see, and this one has everyone caught off guard and split up executing their own messy plans in contrast. I liked the comedy of it, apparently originally it was going to be a little darker with Fallon more helpless and threatened, but was reworked to be more consistent with when she had a gun pointed at her at Thanksgiving. The way it is now the episode is good old soap level farce, a kind of send up to All the Money in the World.

I also enjoyed everything going on with Anders and Sammy Jo, and Fallon taking the rug out from under Jeff at the end. I loved the conflict between Jeff and Culhane, because it brought back some of the class issues from the first episode. It'd be cool if the show gets another season, if they could add black writers on the staff to help round out these characters further. I thought the fight between them, and the dialogue during, was appropriately over the top. I'm curious to see what Adam will be like in this version because he's one of my most hated characters in media in the original. So far every time the show feels like it's about to follow parts of the original, it goes somewhere else.

I do feel like they've left Steven a little thin since the Christmas episode though, it feels like his recovery has gone a little TOO smoothly, and with time constraints it's understandable, but you'd expect at least a moment or two of him struggling. I'm sure it'll come back up again for his character later, but it just expected a little more of him maybe going to therapy or having a withdrawal with all the crazy stress going on at home.

All in all I liked that the last episode had a really strong family theme, and this one focused on sisterhood, blood and otherwise. Two types of bonds I'm sure Alexis will be threatening very soon.

As a side note, it's also nice to see the CW finally putting some ads for the show up during other stuff, instead of just bumpers. The recent ads have been more representative of where the show's at currently. Hopefully the ratings continue to improve a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is going to be funny if it turns out daddy Colby is playing his son.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Show is back on Friday.

A WEB OF LIES — Suspicious that the Colbys may be up to no good, Fallon plays a dangerous game of charades; meanwhile, Steven finds himself unexpectedly channeling his darker side when he tries to help Sammy Jo, and Cristal must cover-up an impulsive mistake that threatens to implode her marriage.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
One week behind, brilliant that Fallon set-up Sammy Jo with a straight guy.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
The last three episodes since coming back from the break have been pretty excellent. That wedding episode was more intense than I expected it to be, a lot of really charged scenes. It felt like a ton happened in that particular episode, I kept expecting the episode to be over at certain points and then it kept going, in a good way.

And last nights episode actually had a moment that got my eyes a little misty that I wasn't prepared for.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so glad the show got renewed, the cast was all extremely anxious about it, and I got to have Liz screaming in my ear in excitement at the news today. They all deserved the good news, I've been enjoying the show way more than anticipated.

Apparently the show does very well internationally and is especially popular in Brazil. Hopefully they keep up the quality. It'll be interesting to see if they get a full season order again or not, personally I think this show did a better job keeping things tight over the season than Riverdale has done this season.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad the show got renewed, the cast was all extremely anxious about it, and I got to have Liz screaming in my ear in excitement at the news today. They all deserved the good news, I've been enjoying the show way more than anticipated.

Apparently the show does very well internationally and is especially popular in Brazil. Hopefully they keep up the quality. It'll be interesting to see if they get a full season order again or not, personally I think this show did a better job keeping things tight over the season than Riverdale has done this season.
I think it will get a full season. It will be one of the few CBS shows, so it has a big advantage.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They finally rounded up the 'Liam' storyline, just when she was falling for him. Blake-Crystal story keeps being quite dark. Was he that terrible in the original show as well?

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure the Liam stuff will come back at some point, I don't particularly trust Alexis with the annulment papers.

Blake is definitely like that at times in the original show. He's stern and cunning when it comes to the business and stuff. He essentially forces himself onto Krystle at one point because he wants a baby, and it was a very uncomfortable scene. New Blake at least hasn't gotten to that point. I'm like 4 seasons into the original though and he seems to have warmed up considerably. I think in the new show it's difficult to tell because Cristal is much more assertive and willing to stand up to him.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Wow this last episode was a lot. I like that they're handling the whole Adam different from the original show. Speaking I thought it was cool that they had the scene with Blake buying Cristal all the flowers, lifted straight from the pilot of the original show, including his line about "some fool" buying out the entire shop. Though his offense in this show makes the original one seem incredibly tame.

Only one episode left, and with the cliffhangers each episode in this show leaves us with I can't imagine what the season finale will close on.

OP
OP
Joni

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, I'm really glad this show got renewed because there are so so so many cliffhangers.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the last 15 minutes of the last episode and I think maybe I should start watching this?

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I just watched the last 15 minutes of the last episode and I think maybe I should start watching this?

You absolutely should!! I think people wrote it off pretty quickly, and it ended up being among the more criminally overlooked shows this season. Its on international Netflix, and it'll be on US Netflix next week. We could use more people in this thread than just the two of us lol.

Also... yeah oh my god this would have been awful if the show had not been renewed because that was a brutal cliffhanger.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really hoping they're just playing up the cliffhanger thing, maybe they'll keep the audience in suspense for a few episodes or something. But-

Her most recent Instagram post sounded pretty convincing. (Unless it's some serious word play like Cristal CARRINGTON isn't going to be in season 2 because maybe she's divorcing Blake and not going by that name or something). And even Liz seemed really shocked by the news. They were like sisters behind the scenes... Of all the people to not survive the fire I thought it would be one of the guys, I assumed both women were completely safe. I'm sad to see her go if it ends up being true, I really enjoyed her Cristal over the original.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad they aren't doing it like the old show would have, just replacing the actor and acting like it's nothing, they're incorporating it into the story, I'm fine with that. Plus they seem to be going out of their way to avoid saying she's out of the show completely or dead, so there's always a chance of her returning in a twist like the original would have done.

Also I forgot Nathalie initially I kept saying she wouldn't be back as Cristal Carrington, nothing about Celia Machado though.
It wouldn't be unprecedented, Fallon died in the fifth season of the original and came back, and Matthew Blaisel died and came back like three or four seasons later.

Last edited:

Lady Justice

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just binged it over the past weekend. I'm completely in love with this show. I didn't know what to expect and I got awesome crazy. Count me in for as long as it stays this good <3

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Nice! I just rewatched the season via Netflix, it's a fun binge too! I'm glad it seems to be doing well on Netflix.

Also it looks like the second season has a full 22 episode order which is exciting. The first season gets a dvd release next month, unfortunately no Blu-ray, but maybe it'll have some of the outtakes. I've seen a 16 minute cut of the outtake reel and there's no way they'd release a good chunk of it, or they'd have to heavily censor it lol.