• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woah. That's a really strong statement. I hated 6. If this is worst than that...

6 ran well and it had all the mainstay missions you wanted. Aside from teh cloned movesets, it atleast tried to be a continuation? The AI was also better than...the 9 wolves...just standing still...in this one. Like...all the AI is bad? Even Lu Bu isn't fearsome.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
right played for just over 2hours, time for a review,

combat
straight out the bat the combat is far far more better than any previous warriors title, i cannot stress enough how greater the flow attacks into the stun launch n knockdowns, it works so well

the open world

it actually works really well, everything flows together, its nice have smaller battles with other officers in same timeline etc around on the map that couldnt be done in a single level on previous titles, it seems more immersive especially if you love china and the general underlying kingdoms etc.
the side missions are quite a nice extra and its nice heading to main missions and finding outposts and other camps around with officers needing help, or officers you may desire to kill,

i can see with more refinements the open world really making things much better than previous titles, an in some aspects for me it already has, its quite cool when there isnt actually huge mobs of monsters every second either, yes at times there is still quite big groups thats for sure, but i like the downtime aswell and when things need to its chaotic which i actually prefer because it makes the more important battles bigger and better and not just the same shit as the room down the road so to speak.

the clone stuff isnt actually as bad as whats proclaimed, its more so like unique movesets with heroes sharing same weapon, seems pretty dumb to have 93 unique weapons to be quite honest and in prior titles things did get somewhat silly with a boat and stuff lol, but overall this clone stuff is a minor concern at best and frankly i probs wont use all the heroes anyway, but the flow to combo attacks + musou makes things very much unique per hero.

im playing on pc i have a top range computer and im getting stable 60fps so for me everything is fine there, (although i understand the frustrations of there poor optimization for lower machines etc) my main actual gripe is the lack of aa on trees etc can really be off putting at times

the music is incredible very very much the shit :D

overall if you love the warriors series i say yes jump in the combat system is something of awesome for people who grew tiered of the same square traingle combos over and over and mostly using same combo cos it was best, i honestly hope this combat system is kept and maybe tweaked further in some aspects.

Right on Queen. Glad to hear there are people enjoying the game.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lowest the FPS gets to is low 20's in intense fightss although that was before version 1.02 patch since I've only noticed minor frame drops.
I see. I ordered a Pro but it won't get here until Thursday. The game doesn't seem bad, and I'm actually interested in exploring the new mechanics but the sub 30 FPS is grating on the base PS4

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Woah. That's a really strong statement. I hated 6. If this is worst than that...

It's very divisive. There are a lot of people here who love it (read the impressions a few posts above yours) and others who don't like it, and others who are just bothered by the technical shortcomings. Reviews on Metacritic are very slightly above average for the series, but Jim Sterling--a long time fan of Warriors games--hates it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
We don't have a general Musou thread I guess? I just reinstalled Berserk and continued with that.
That game is really enjoyable - I want to finish the story now at least.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
see im quite opposite, spirit of sanada and berserk were pretty dire for me and were in some aspects less enjoyable than dw6, but dw9 has taken from berserk and spirit and blended them together, the open world is like a mix of sanadas exploration zones mixed with battle zones at same time etc

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame 9 is turning out to be worse than 6. The worst part about 6 was the cloned movesets and low variety of weapons-but it was a far, far better game than 9. A damn shame.

This is where I'm at right now. Open world games mostly do nothing for me, and it just doesn't feel like the mainline Dynasty Warriors games, but closer to something like Bladestorm or even the Empires games. Which are fine, I really liked Bladestorm. But it's not what I wanted out of a mainline DW game.

Once you add the technical issues, forget about it. It's not even close.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am just gonna get Dragon Quest Heroes 2 instead or OP musou game. Might be a Steam lunar new year sale coming so maybe it will be on sale then.

In the mean time I'll wait for XL or Empires. A lot of mixed opinions on the combat which is the one thing I could cling onto and excuse all the other bullshit. From Jim's impressions I get that there is no real flow to the combat...just run up to an enemy and mash away.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about the rubbish dubs is the AI spamming the same freaking lines over and over again! "Our target has been determined. Capturing that area will deflate their morale!" Yes, I heard you for the ten thousandth time, seriously!

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Character selection for each mission is somewhat limited (mostly the Sanada family and their handlers/allies). Side stories will pop up at times ("meanwhile this war is going on...") that allow you to play other factions.

Yes, all characters from Samurai Warriors 4 and 4-II are there and there are a couple of new ones. However, you have a limited selection of characters for the main story due to the story focus. There are secondary battles that allow playing as the rest of the cast though in addition to replaying past battles.
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it goes on sale during the Lunar Sale. QueenOfHunting's impressions of the new one are close to making me bite on it.

I'll probably just sit on these thoughts until Thursday and then see how much I want to buy during the sale to decide what ends up in the cart. We'll see.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Just need to get through a little more of the workday and then I can go get my copy.

Need...Musou...in my...veinssss....

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
As a big DW fan gotta say my initial 10 minutes with this game have been disappointing to say the least on a technical level. I just shelved it until it's patched as there's no way I'm playing this in the state it's in on PS4 Pro.

On a technical level this performs some of the worst I've seen this gen and I've played a lot of games. It is literally running between 20-25fps ALL the time on PS4 Pro in resolution mode. I haven't seen anything quite this bad on this generation of consoles. Nothing is happening and the frame rate is bad, When enemies come on the screen the frame rate drops to low to mid twenties.

It reminds me of the kind of poor performance you used to see last gen on euro rpgs like Risen, Two Worlds etc where they had massive frame rate drops and tearing. It really is that bad.

Speaking of tearing if you thought that was a thing of the past from last gen think again. This has some of the most prominent, pervasive tearing I've seen in years. It's the worst I've seen in any game this gen easily. it's constant and only happens on frame rate mode.

So you got two choices, take resolution mode that runs at mostly 20-25fps without tearing or take framerate mode with a slightly more stable 30fps (with drops) but with LOTS of tearing (basically whenever you rotate the camera left or right).

The graphics engine Is not cut out to run this and it clearly shows. It's either unoptimised or they're using some old graphics engine. It's almost like an indie game with not enough budget behind its graphics.

Their other games like Samurai Warriors 4/Dragon Quest Heroes 2 actually run loads better and look nicer and reach 60fps on a consistent basis. Wtf happened here? It doesn't even look that impressive. Frame rate mode looks poor with jaggies and tearing, resolution mode looks sharp but with a horrendous framerate.

Very disappointing and frankly shameful that it's been released in this state. Feels like a beta build in terms of performance. Gone are the days where even on ps2 you'd get DW games running in 60fps.

This seems like a downgrade technically even from their other current gen Musou titles! Everything just looks choppy when moving like there's frames missing because of the frame rate. It's kinda like shadow of Mordor on 360.

Shame as it looks like there's a good game hidden underneath but it's marred tremendously by its poor performance. I don't understand why because the open world doesnt even look that nice. Muddy repetitive textures and stiff animations.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised at how well it's reviewed. 70 metacritic with 31 reviews beats out most titles in the DW series. Even a point higher than DW8XL, with about as many reviews. Seems much more divisive among fans, though.

Well, Digitally Downloaded gave it a perfect score, so that certainly helped the average a bit. I imagine if Jim Sterling still did scoring, it would be quite low. Most seem to be giving it a score in the 6-8 range.(a few 5) Perhaps after some patches and content updates, the game will be much better.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of dog and pony show are you guys running over there? Sell a game on multiple platforms but seemingly have to be told to offer up support for other platforms as well besides just the PS4.

I'd blame the people in control who actually make the decisions, because they're the ones who don't listen to the fans as often as they should regarding requests for support and porting issues.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I have uploaded how badly it runs on ps4 pro in the starting area with not much on screen. Just nothing happening generally.

The video isn't poor quality or choppy. This is actually how the game performs. It really is that choppy. I'd say it's about 25fps in that video. In battles it gets even worse and tanks to the low twenties. I felt like the artifacting of Youtube can distort the frame rate when there's loads going on so I just left it on the starting area in the vid.

Oct 26, 2017
All right--just barely started playing this on PC. So far, it plays without much trouble. I've got some settings tweaked: fog distance set to normal, characters set to "many", graphics and textures on "high", dynamic shadows set to "off", volumetric fog set to "off", and then every other setting is on medium setting or switched on. I've also made sure that this game's running off of my Nvidia GPU--apparently this game defaults to your internal GPU and not the one of your video card. I've got an NVIDIA GTX 970 video card, an Intel i7-6700k CPU, and 16 GB of RAM, so I'm below the recommended settings.

I got what looked like a stable 60 FPS so far. I'm only on the very start of Cao Cao's campaign so far, but the game hasn't given me any trouble so far. I won't be able to continue until tomorrow, but so far, so good!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What kind of dog and pony show are you guys running over there? Sell a game on multiple platforms but seemingly have to be told to offer up support for other platforms as well besides just the PS4.

Hey now, that person is here to carry on your comments and complaints. They're the ones making sure your feedback get back to the dev team.

There are lots of people who help make games on ResetEra. Giving them feedback is great, but there's no need to be hostile. This would go whether they were part of the industry or not - they are just another part of our community.

Please try to treat your fellow member with courtesy, especially when you want their help!

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
6 ran well and it had all the mainstay missions you wanted. Aside from teh cloned movesets, it atleast tried to be a continuation? The AI was also better than...the 9 wolves...just standing still...in this one. Like...all the AI is bad? Even Lu Bu isn't fearsome.

While I can't speak for the animal AI, the Officer AI is definitely far better if you actually kick up the difficulty past Normal. Namtox's video covers this and there's early footage also showcasing the enemy actually rolling to avoid attacks or using trigger attacks against the player

Also you're overlooking some of DW6's issues here (though you're right on the technical aspect). That game had clones and had the gall to not even bring all of the characters DW5 while doing so (also no new characters in that game either). The game also doesn't even let you do Musou Mode with all the characters (whereas at least DW9 is offering at least a chapter for ALL characters).

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I can't speak for the animal AI, the Officer AI is definitely far better if you actually kick up the difficulty past Normal. Namtox's video covers this and there's early footage also showcasing the enemy actually rolling to avoid attacks or using trigger attacks against the player

Also you're overlooking some of DW6's issues here (though you're right on the technical aspect). That game had clones and had the gall to not even bring all of the characters DW5 while doing so (also no new characters in that game either). The game also doesn't even let you do Musou Mode with all the characters (whereas at least DW9 is offering at least a chapter for ALL characters).

I did talk about the clones though. If that's 6's biggest sin, then it still isn't as bad as what 9 is offering(Which is...clones. Amongst its many other issues). And a chapter is nice, sure, but that still doesn't save it from its major detractions.(Technical issues, clones, subpar AI).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Jim Sterling's video and this game seems fucking awful.
Jim usually loves DW as well and he hates it.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am just gonna get Dragon Quest Heroes 2 instead or OP musou game. Might be a Steam lunar new year sale coming so maybe it will be on sale then.

In the mean time I'll wait for XL or Empires. A lot of mixed opinions on the combat which is the one thing I could cling onto and excuse all the other bullshit. From Jim's impressions I get that there is no real flow to the combat...just run up to an enemy and mash away.

While I thought Sterling's video was reasonable, his understanding of the combat system seemed painfully shallow. There's definitely more nuance than he makes it out to be, it also doesn't seem like he actually played it past Normal difficulty (surprising for someone who seems to be a big fan of the series) since the AI is a lot better on Hard/Chaos.

I would recommend DQ Heroes 2 if you're into action RPGs. I've been playing it while waiting for DW9 to release in my country and it's pretty damn fun. The postgame is a little brutal but I thought the main campaign was great (though with a few difficulty spikes).

I'd go with One Piece Warriors though if you definitely need a Musou style game. Never played the whole series, but I've heard lots of good things about Pirate Warriors 3, and I remember PW2 was fun when I played through last year.

Last edited:

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this game needs more months of polish, performance is all over the place.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like PR and/or community manager is given all the info upfront. They relay everything as they find out or when they inquire about it. They have to wait for the response.

Chill a bit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I have informed the team that PC/Xbox One issues are urgent as well.

Thank you, performance issues I think are the biggest distractor.

10k kills and 12 hours later and I'm enjoying the shit out of it.

Just using yellow turban rebellion atm to map clear, just got the 35% map completion achievement.....only took 8 hours hahahahaha

Game does have some good views though, the draw distance I think with the enemy count causes the most issues for sure.

d0a318f1-9951-4ea9-81bb-23ba3157d81a.PNG

84c1dba8-360c-4f32-9f29-cbe809ccd5ed.PNG

15e6c114-05a4-48ff-ba71-fe1c7e8c8ff9.PNG

Love the fog shot.....it's actually really cool to see. Also the calming ambient music that plays when not in battle

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really need to lay off treating jim as a god n believing every word he says.

People wanted more open n better combat they got it. N its by far best combat system

The main battles actually feel epic? Where as before it was just the same as prior room with different named officer.

The ooen world is a great introduction n nice fresh take on the old n tired formula. The little stories exist now n the minor battles. Its alot more immersive n i actually like some downtime between fights now. It doesnt feel like im jist jumping from time n map in a lifeless world.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
For PC players does the game actually look anything close to these screens the official KoeiTecmo accounts keep posting... cause from the videos ... I'm super curious as to why they keep insisting on using these.

DV8apzbW4AA5WG8.jpg

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
While I thought Sterling's video was reasonable, his understanding of the combat system seemed painfully shallow. There's definitely more nuance than he makes it out to be, it also doesn't seem like he actually played it past Normal difficulty (surprising for someone who seems to be a big fan of the series) since the AI is a lot better on Hard/Chaos.

I would recommend DQ Heroes 2 if you're into action RPGs. I've been playing it while waiting for DW9 to release in my country and it's pretty damn fun. The postgame is a little brutal but I thought the main campaign was great (though with a few difficulty spikes).

I'd go with One Piece Warriors though if you definitely need a Musou style game. Never played the whole series, but I've heard lots of good things about Pirate Warriors 3, and I remember PW2 was fun when I played through last year.
Thank you. I'll see which is on sale cause SE is quite stingy sometimes lol.

My issue with the combat so far is that once you lock on to an enemy you can keep comboing them until they die. Because you can attack grounded enemies so there is no way for them to get out of being continuously hit. So essentially the flow of combat is weighted too far in the players' favor when fighting AI generals more so than past games.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Bought the game just a few minutes ago and downloading now. I know I'm going to enjoy the game just because, but I really wish they allowed some semblance of control over your army. Watching a faction leader like Cao Cao run through fields without at least a platoon following seems weird. Faction leaders and generals should have men ready to clash with them at all times. Another thing, Total War - give me that type of control over armies in DW 10

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla PS4. 3 hours in now myself. I do see frame dips from time to time (but ive seen worse). No bugs yet.

Im enjoying it! I kinda like racing around to different outposts and taking them over. It feels almost like a real battlefield that is constantly changing. The combat seems decent...but to be fair ive only tried a few characters. Yes the battles are somewhat spread out, but the bigger camps and outposts/bases have much more soldiers filling them out (id still like to see more though in the bases themselves). The world isn't as empty as i thought it might be.

The hunting is a little odd. Reaching an area that has like 30 grizzly bears in an area chasing you down can be somewhat shocking and funny. But the bow hunting mechanics seem "adequate." Could use some refinement.

The music is bad-ass. Im digging it as usual.

Like i said, im only 3 hours in...but i really believe there is some serious potential here as i was having some fun. Just needs some tweaks. Maybe my impressions will change as my playtime increases. If so, ill gladly update.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
Thank you. I'll see which is on sale cause SE is quite stingy sometimes lol.

My issue with the combat so far is that once you lock on to an enemy you can keep comboing them until they die. Because you can attack grounded enemies so there is no way for them to get out of being continuously hit. So essentially the flow of combat is weighted too far in the players' favor when fighting AI generals more so than past games.
Anything less than hard is BaBBy mode. Hard and above Generals roll, guard and try to hit you hard when you leave yourself open. Such a night and day difference, it seems like they disabled AI advanced blocking and rolling on the lower difficulty.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 is currently installing from the disc and downloading the day one patch. Won't be too long until I see what it's like in action for myself.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
right played for just over 2hours, time for a review,

combat
straight out the bat the combat is far far more better than any previous warriors title, i cannot stress enough how greater the flow attacks into the stun launch n knockdowns, it works so well

the open world

it actually works really well, everything flows together, its nice have smaller battles with other officers in same timeline etc around on the map that couldnt be done in a single level on previous titles, it seems more immersive especially if you love china and the general underlying kingdoms etc.
the side missions are quite a nice extra and its nice heading to main missions and finding outposts and other camps around with officers needing help, or officers you may desire to kill,

i can see with more refinements the open world really making things much better than previous titles, an in some aspects for me it already has, its quite cool when there isnt actually huge mobs of monsters every second either, yes at times there is still quite big groups thats for sure, but i like the downtime aswell and when things need to its chaotic which i actually prefer because it makes the more important battles bigger and better and not just the same shit as the room down the road so to speak.

the clone stuff isnt actually as bad as whats proclaimed, its more so like unique movesets with heroes sharing same weapon, seems pretty dumb to have 93 unique weapons to be quite honest and in prior titles things did get somewhat silly with a boat and stuff lol, but overall this clone stuff is a minor concern at best and frankly i probs wont use all the heroes anyway, but the flow to combo attacks + musou makes things very much unique per hero.

im playing on pc i have a top range computer and im getting stable 60fps so for me everything is fine there, (although i understand the frustrations of there poor optimization for lower machines etc) my main actual gripe is the lack of aa on trees etc can really be off putting at times

the music is incredible very very much the shit :D

overall if you love the warriors series i say yes jump in the combat system is something of awesome for people who grew tiered of the same square traingle combos over and over and mostly using same combo cos it was best, i honestly hope this combat system is kept and maybe tweaked further in some aspects.

I played for about 4 hours last night and pretty much agree with everything here.

One of the first complaints before have said is that the open world wouldn't add anything to the DW formula, and I politely disagree having tried it. In the first chapter (there are 13 total), you get a lot of 'mini' (sub) missions on the way to your overall goal. Of course you 'could' go and rush and kill the boss, but I found that it didn't really work for me as I was always underleveled. It really helps to raise the morale meter just as you would in past DW games before tackling the boss. To do that you have to do the other submissions to increase your level and level up your character. That's where the beauty of the open world formula comes in and rather than having a small map in past DW games, you get a variety of submissions spread out in the open world. Doing these missions, and killing the enemies will allow you to capture the bases and increase troop morale as your front lines increases.

Doing every mission on each chapter could easily take 6 or 7 hours.

q07ljo9.jpg

I do regret getting this on PS4 though, it looks and runs bad. Even if they make this run better, it still doesn't help that this game looks bad. I hope that if i put in enough hours Ill just move on to something else and avoid the double dip at full price.

The other thing I have to say though is that I miss having all the extra modes from DW8XL, you get the story mode and that's about it. Kinda bare bones.

Also it looks like Jim is playing the PS4/Xbox version (can't tell if its Pro/X or not) rather than the PC version. And with his first comment he compares it to AC:Origins. Which yes if you compare it to a western developed AAA game its bloody embarassing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I played for about 4 hours last night and pretty much agree with everything here.

One of the first complaints before have said is that the open world wouldn't add anything to the DW formula, and I politely disagree having tried it. In the first chapter (there are 13 total), you get a lot of 'mini' (sub) missions on the way to your overall goal. Of course you 'could' go and rush and kill the boss, but I found that it didn't really work for me as I was always underleveled. It really helps to raise the morale meter just as you would in past DW games before tackling the boss. To do that you have to do the other submissions to increase your level and level up your character. That's where the beauty of the open world formula comes in and rather than having a small map in past DW games, you get a variety of submissions spread out in the open world. Doing these missions, and killing the enemies will allow you to capture the bases and increase troop morale as your front lines increases.

Doing every mission on each chapter could easily take 6 or 7 hours.

q07ljo9.jpg

I do regret getting this on PS4 though, it looks and runs bad. Even if they make this run better, it still doesn't help that this game looks bad. I hope that if i put in enough hours Ill just move on to something else and avoid the double dip at full price.

The other thing I have to say though is that I miss having all the extra modes from DW8XL, you get the story mode and that's about it. Kinda bare bones.

The branching missions are the only ones you really would focus on. Think dynasty warriors 4 and how the yellow turban rebellion was 3 missions instead of 1

The side quests that have the little speech bubble never have to be touched. Just look st the rewards and if you need an item to craft using those mats....then go for it....otherwise you are just doing missions for the sake of doing missions lol

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
The branching missions are the only ones you really would focus on. Think dynasty warriors 4 and how the yellow turban rebellion was 3 missions instead of 1

The side quests that have the little speech bubble never have to be touched. Just look st the rewards and if you need an item to craft using those mats....then go for it....otherwise you are just doing missions for the sake of doing missions lol

Ah yeah. I didn't really notice last night, I guess those little speech bubbled ones are mini mini quests.

Still I did a number of the side quests last night over 4 hours, and the map was still half red, so if you wanted to wipe everyone out, it'd take quite a while.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yeah. I didn't really notice last night, I guess those little speech bubbled ones are mini mini quests.

Still I did a number of the side quests last night over 4 hours, and the map was still half red, so if you wanted to wipe everyone out, it'd take quite a while.

Yes, not required.....I'm only currently doing it for the exploration and to unlock all the points.

Come following characters I'll just be following objectives. It seems once you do the main ones your own forces seem to take points relatively smooth.

It's not a big deal anyways since there is literally no major reward for taking a standard base.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Was thinking about getting this game on Xbox One X but found out there's no couch co op.
I think this warrants much bigger uproar than the one Halo 5 got. Couch co op was such a big part of DW franchise...

Xander51

Nov 23, 2017
I'm playing the game on both Xbox One X and PC, because I'm ridiculous.

The performance is definitely a little all over the place. The PC version is running a fair bit better for me on a 1070, and the Xbox version isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. The drops seem somewhat random. So far the worst performance I've seen in both versions is inside the very first tutorial room where they teach the controls...which is not the best way to make a first impression.

Performance issues aside, I'm firmly in the "loving it" camp. I've spent a few hours with each version. The combat system, while indeed different, is also nice because I feel like I'm becoming more proficient at the system and not solely memorizing different combos for each character. I know that it makes me a horrible person that I don't want to obsessively master each weapon type and would rather just have fun with the game. It's pretty cool how, with the right timing, you can chain together longer and longer combo strings, and that those skills then carry over from character to character.

I like the contemplative/exploratory nature of the open world. It's fun to ride the horse around, and the objective hints are omnipresent enough that I always know exactly where I need to go to get on with things. I'm not finding it any more bland or checklisty than any other open world game from the last few years. It's definitely not for folks that have tired of Ubisoft's recent games, but I think that additional layer of complexity is just what DW needed.

Koei has been pumping out like three of these games every 18 months for years now, and it's been interesting to watch them very slowly iterate on the formula over time. A lot of the components here just feel like the next step. Dragon Quest Heroes II had an interesting take on a more open design, and I loved what I played of the Toukiden 2 demo. I've been waiting for Omega Force's take on a full open world design since the expansive world of Bladestorm, and I'm really happy they finally went for it.

Every time they make a big change, it's polarizing. Which is a little strange considering how many other releases a fan can fall back on if they don't like a particular iteration. There's always another Warriors game coming up around the corner. It's nice to have something with a radically different structure that's not just picking levels from a menu for once. It helps establish the geographic connections between the events. It's also really neat how much different the stories are for each character. They've managed to cram more of the book into the game than ever before, too.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
A big thank you to everyone who shared their impressions so far. That definitely sounds better than in the Jim Sterling video. Hell, even watching the video I saw stuff that he complained big about but I personally would just shrug off. But that's just normal, after all everyone weights different things differently. I was a bit on the fence about it since I'm a bit tight on money right now, but after some of the impressions in here I will give the PC version a try in the coming days (I hope it runs well, at least better than the PS4 version hopefully), when I have a bit more free time to play around with it. After all I do need my musou fix. And I want to ride around China.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Jim stated in his video that a lot of the previous English voice actors were replaced. Does anyone know which ones were not replaced?

Xander51

Nov 23, 2017
Jim stated in his video that a lot of the previous English voice actors were replaced. Does anyone know which ones were not replaced?

So far, five hours in, I haven't heard a single voice from the old games. I was down on it at first, but the acting seems okay so far and makes it feel like more of a reboot. I imagine by the end of the game I'll have come to accept these as totally fine performances. Plus, I love that the Japanese and Chinese dubs are in there.

From Jim's video, I got the impression that they were forced to change voice actors due to the union strike stuff happening right during recording for this game.