• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still can't believe the whole grappling hook thing.....like wtf. How do you not catch something like that during design? The later games made convoluted mission designs so that you could not bum rush key generals and commanders.

Yeah. Definitely an odd decision.

It sucks that this is getting such bad reviews. On steam it's "overwhelmingly negative" and even the PS4 version is sitting at a 2 star average on Amazon.

I'm hopeful they can improve the game in the next few months.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the whole grappling hook thing.....like wtf. How do you not catch something like that during design? The later games made convoluted mission designs so that you could not bum rush key generals and commanders.

If we want to speculate, perhaps they felt the point was to give players the option to do so. Just like open worlds generally tend to give you more than one way to solve certain quests or defeat various bosses. I do think the DW9 designers should have made the approaches to enemy commanders more complicated and added different obstacles in order to balance things, but oh well.

Dynasty Warriors 7 was the most story centric of the entries to date with the best representation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms tale for the franchise. And how it did so is that it had a more story/scenario focus for each of the 4 factions individually.(Wu/Shu/Wei/Jin), chronologically, with intricate cut scenes.

I don't entirely write off what DW8 did with the story and the alternate scenarios (though a few might come across as corny), but DW7 did tell the overall tale in the best way yet. I would also say that DW9 actually does have some decent cutscenes (the ones they bothered to make cinematic rather than just talking heads standing around), yet definitely not on that earlier level.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what could change upon uploading this video? He simply goes ahead and begins with a straw man fallacy.

Obviously he would still dislike everything about the game. Raising the difficulty makes a difference for those who enjoy the combat and actually wanted the enemy to be more aggressive than on normal, but nobody claimed it'd solve the bugs or the other things that Jim doesn't like about the open world. It's an exercise in Sterling touting his own horn, frankly.
I mean he said it in the video, he enjoys ragging on it. I don't think he needs more of a reason than that for him to do something.

All I can say is just don't watch it. *shrug*
Yeah. Definitely an odd decision.

It sucks that this is getting such bad reviews. On steam it's "overwhelmingly negative" and even the PS4 version is sitting at a 2 star average on Amazon.

I'm hopeful they can improve the game in the next few months.
I just hope that they do improve it and don't just leave all the fixes until the inevitable paid expansion. The cynic in me feels that might be the case. :(

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Seconding this. They severely limited the number of characters you could use, but it allowed them to really go all out in telling the story. I didn't expect it to affect me like it did. The ending cutscene of that game is still one of my favorites in the series.

After DW6 too, DW7 was my first return to something really solid. I mean i returned to DW6 and enjoyed it but DW7 cleaned it up and added so a rich narrative. It's still ingrained in my mind on the epic final stand Shu has against Jin in the finale. And the song itself envisions it so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92X5OU7AUZs

Its too early for me to completely judge DW9s story, but nothing in the series has since captured it. Although, on the other hand there seems to be more intricate mid scenario banter comparatively to other games.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Seconding this. They severely limited the number of characters you could use, but it allowed them to really go all out in telling the story. I didn't expect it to affect me like it did. The ending cutscene of that game is still one of my favorites in the series.
The entire Jin story arc in DW7 is incredible. It takes so much of what Dynasty Warriors had done historically in interpreting the stories of Wei, Wu, and Shu, and turned them all on their heads.

Cao-era Wei falls to the coup, Wu rots from internal strife and falls apart, and Shu becomes completely lost without the linchpins that held it together in Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei.

These are sides that we really never, ever saw in Dynasty Warriors before DW7, and the care Omega Force took in telling the story was remarkable.

Buddha0991

Oct 25, 2017
The entire Jin story arc in DW7 is incredible. It takes so much of what Dynasty Warriors had done historically in interpreting the stories of Wei, Wu, and Shu, and turned them all on their heads.

Cao-era Wei falls to the coup, Wu rots from internal strife and falls apart, and Shu becomes completely lost without the linchpins that held it together in Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei.

These are sides that we really never, ever saw in Dynasty Warriors before DW7, and the care Omega Force took in telling the story was remarkable.
That last cutscene was probably the best cutscene in the series and really felt like it was going to be the last DW game.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
i would pay full price for DW7 hd ported with dw8xl gameplay

8's story wasn't bad, but you definitely felt that most of the characters were shoehorned into the story mode for the sake of it

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Dynasty Warriors 8 XL complete is 20 bucks on Steam right now. DW8 Empires is 20 as well. I didnt play XL or Empires for DW8 so thinking about getting those now and waiting for DW9XL so Omega Force can fix the game.

Oct 31, 2017
DW8 allowed the player to choose from a selection of characters for each stage, rather than being forced to play with a specific character based on the story like in DW7, but that meant less cutscenes during stages (since the developers couldn't expect the player to be using a specific character aside from a few segments where all possible characters are forced to be grouped together before the player can progress) and also eliminated dramatic events that force playable character switches during a stage.

DW8 also added alternate "what if" routes, which meant that the cutscenes had to be shared between the main story and the "what if" story of each kingdom, rather than all focus on a single story. The main story ended up hurt by those changes, and the "What if" stories themselves generally were much worse than the main stories as far as writing quality goes. DW8 also attempted to differentiate its main story from DW7's by changing the focus of several parts of the story just to change things up, but most of those changes just hurt the story.

And DW9 followed this route right? Meh :/

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
I can't stop playing.

I have made it a point to assist every allied general in thier missions before taking on the main mission to ensure the odds on my end. I talk to every one with a mini random mission mark but if the content isn't compelling I just skip it and focus on the main and connected missions.

Watching all of the results of my actions come together whether its one group setting a trap or stopping the enemies reinforcements from showing up due to a mission I completed earlier never gets old.

same with helping my crew access the castle to run roughshod while I hunt down the big boss, murdering any general along the way.. now that I know kill count and generals killed multiplies experience I am a cold blooded general hunter!

I'm in sun ce's story working on unlocking Zhou Tai and shit is getting real. A lot of intrigue and drama going on behind the scenes..

Long story short I'm glad I bit the bullet on this having fun looking forward to playing other characters stories..

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Berserk is also 50% off. It's very simple Musou but I do like it. Also the combat is very crunchy, which helps a lot.
The Endless Eclipse mode is also fun.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
well that saved me 20$, thanks
It also doesn't have enhanced next-gen* assets, which had been a problem with TK PC ports. They remain the ones I'd most likely just get on console instead because of being fixated on doing dumb shit like that without at least an option to choose.

*In context of being an early gen port of a last gen game, ergo next gen relative to its native time.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also doesn't have enhanced next-gen* assets

xD

That's just hilariously awful support.

I agree with this, frenzy mode is so brutal sounding and then fact they added dismemberment in the west adds allot. It's a shame we might not get a more refined sequel.
Yeah Berserk is good fun. They /totally/ nailed the Berserker armor as well. Made the hell that was beating Femto on stage 100 worth it, so satisfying to use.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is Berserk good? I loved the 90s anime and played the Musou one for a few hours and it felt satisfying but I dunno I guess other games come out and I put it down.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Berserk good? I loved the 90s anime and played the Musou one for a few hours and it felt satisfying but I dunno I guess other games come out and I put it down.
I am not sure how to put it, the game is very fun and feels great but you need to be a fan of the comic and Musou. You might also need to take a break from Musou for a while to not burnout as it is very repetitive based on the musou standards because the level design is less advanced and is more about the killing, also because you play as Guts most of the time so you might get bored. (I played the game when I rediscovered Musou so you might get hooked into the game even if you played the rest of the musou games without taking a break.)

Personally, I started the game and got hooked but I couldn't help but feel that a new Berserk Musou sequel could fix some of the problems it had so I hope they do make it some day.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Why are allied officers absolute garbage in this it's maddening. Especially when they're following you. They're slow as fuck and barely, if ever, attack when you're taking over enemy base camps.

Honestly... someone, ANYONE at Koei Tecmo, please implement a way to give your allies orders. PLEASE. THEY'RE SO DUMB.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
Why are allied officers absolute garbage in this it's maddening. Especially when they're following you. They're slow as fuck and barely, if ever, attack when you're taking over enemy base camps.

Honestly... someone, ANYONE at Koei Tecmo, please implement a way to give your allies orders. PLEASE. THEY'RE SO DUMB.
A lot of people are mentioning this! I have seen video of Ai allied officers just kind of jerking in place..so far my guys have been pretty aggressive but being able to control them to some extent would put a much needed layer on the proceedings.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017

the final cutscenes/missions of shu are seriously great at capturing how tragic jiang wei is in the sense of how much he believes in the cause because he's supposed to be the replacement for all of shu's deceased heroes at once and how he's one of the last guys of his generation to really have known all of 'em. it's expressed so well in his costume being a mix of the strategist robe and armor pieces evocative of all the big generals and his moveset being this cool unique mix of zhao yun style charges and guan yu/zhang fei style sweeps

liu shan actually being made into an interesting character who isn't a clueless moron (as he's usually portrayed since it's probably closer to history) was also a fantastic touch- him being someone who understands the hypocrisy of continuing a war that effectively serves no purpose and the teachings of his father is great. that the XL stories and ending highlight his conflict with his lineage and his feelings of responsibility to continue the fight that everyone looks to him to lead. it's actually astonishingly nuanced for a dynasty warriors, haha!

the only things i really think the game messes up are fan castle from guan yu's side and zhang fei's last stand at chang ban bridge- they lack the sense of desperation that was really played up in dw5. in general there's something about dw5's cutscene/stage direction (and wo1/2) that just feels superior to modern DW/WO stuff but i can't put my finger on what exactly it is.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone started a list of material locations yet? Need more silver and gold dust!

Edit: They're marked on the map!

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
This game would be god tier if it had of been empires from the start. The potential for empires is just nuts give how it works.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 hours to unlock her. 2 hours to complete her story.... Damn so short

21jccc5.jpg

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how easy it is to get the best weapons. Stumbled across some bandits in the woods north of Xuchang North Camp and each group has one or more special units from around level 30-50. Can just stealth kill all of them for a load of the coins you need.

Was doing this at level 20 and got crazy experience as well.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how easy it is to get the best weapons. Stumbled across some bandits in the woods north of Xuchang North Camp and each group has one or more special units from around level 30-50. Can just stealth kill all of them for a load of the coins you need.

Was doing this at level 20 and got crazy experience as well.
How do you stealth kill? Using arrow?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I finished the yellow turban and dong zuho... Will there be some real maps later like in previous DW? Because right now it's pretty mindless and boring

before you had to plan where to go first, try to not rush, and so on, not anymore, you just go kill the obective and everything works fine

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I finished the yellow turban and dong zuho... Will there be some real maps later like in previous DW? Because right now it's pretty mindless and boring

before you had to plan where to go first, try to not rush, and so on, not anymore, you just go kill the obective and everything works fine
Try raising the difficulty? The design here seems kind of like Samurai Warriors Chronicles, where you often can run right to the boss, but rather than that the game expects you to do other objectives first to weaken them. This design doesn't work if even the boosted enemy is too weak.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Try raising the difficulty? The design here seems kind of like Samurai Warriors Chronicles, where you often can run right to the boss, but rather than that the game expects you to do other objectives first to weaken them. This design doesn't work if even the boosted enemy is too weak.

What i described has nothing to do with difficulty! All i'm asking is if there's gonna be real planning later on, and if some of the battles have more variety, because right now all you have to do is teleport to the different objective, kill the guy, without any urgency or order in the choice you make, and voilà!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the grappling hook while nice for scaling mountains for scenic views really ruined the castle siege experience.

So I tried to do LuoYang and kill Dong Zhuo without it.......it doesn't work. Siege weapons never move or do anything half the time, officers who don't do anything somehow teleport behind locked gates that weren't even open yet.

So right now the only thing the grappling hook does is save me from being frustrated because you can't even do a castle siege normally lol

Still having a ton of fun though, but I have a sad feeling this will be my least played dynasty warriors game overall.

Cutscenes are star ocean 5 esque almost all around.....very bland and boring.

I have a feeling once I get this map completed I'm actually going to be able to complete most stories in a mere hour due to the fact you can skip a lot of the "strategy" element.

Also AI is incredibly stupid......and I mean incredibly stupid. Your allies can't even take bases correctly.....I watch them skip like 3 in the chain and go for the camp.....which won't do anything at all since they can't defeat anything but a peasant once every 10 seconds or so. Plus you can't just take random bases not linked unless there is a mission there LOL. I remember the older games and maps they did a ton of advancing and crap when they were off screen

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Beat Yuan Shao's story. Even for one of the shorter ones, it took me a long time, and I was amazed at how little of the map I had covered. English VA is one of the better read ones, but he plays the character like an agitated goose. I kind of like it despite myself, at least more than the snobbier Yuan Shao from DW6-8. Would prefer regal Yuan Shao from 4/5, but at least he's not bland. And the writing didn't make him out to be a complete doofus. I guess that's more of an Orochi thing.

This game is gonna be such a time sink. I'm liking it though. I keep getting overleveled and even on Chaos, I feel like Lu Bu does. I just want a decent challenge, man.

C mon guys where to farm/fish these coins? Need them to buy all weapons. Thanks

Go out to the wilderness and look for orange dots on your map. Check them in the map screen and if they're bandit chiefs or the like, those are the ones that drop the coins. Best way to handle them is to go stealth right as they pop in and take them out with your bow.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go out to the wilderness and look for orange dots on your map. Check them in the map screen and if they're bandit chiefs or the like, those are the ones that drop the coins. Best way to handle them is to go stealth right as they pop in and take them out with your bow.

Yup. Got the bandit one. What about the fishing? Thanks

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
38489197190_cac5f184c7_o.png

actually looks pretty good at times

Oh geez. This totally reminded me of last night. I was also playing Cheng Pu and was in a forest like area collecting resources. Suddenly 20+ wolves spawned next to me. I was thinking..."I wonder how tough they are?" so i preceded to try and fight them. They are a pain in the ass and i was almost mauled like 3 times lol. Keep in mind i was only level 10 at the moment. Wasn't expecting it. They're tougher than normal soldiers in the game lol.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get a refund for this as it seemed a few people did in the same story. I was hyped to finally have a open world Dynasty but this has too much wrong with it sadly :(

Mattchew

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Jim did another video playing on hard mode.

He still didn't like it, lol.

Still can't really disagree with how buggy and messy the game is tbh. There might be a decent foundation somewhere in this but it really needs a lot of work. =/

Jesus christ, words can't describe how much I hate Jim Sterling and his bullshit strawman.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and jim sterling is moaning about things that same silly ?

oh noes theres a grappling hook that nullfys sieges ? isnt something many people moaned about for ages with any videogame that there should be choices and different approaches to things, if the grappling hook is over powered why doesnt he bitch and moan about stealth kills in most rpgs and how op it is killing camps of people unoticed, or is it because it doesnt fit his agenda ?

oh the game has small battles wahhhhh wheres my hundreds of mindless peons that dont do anything and if those hundreds of peons did anything i would die in seconds but wahhhh thats not the point.

fails to mention that when i got to zhang jiaos castle and sieged it instead of bum rushing him with grappling hook that i actually had the classic dw battles of hundreds of mobs everywhere.

maybe just maybe the bigger and more important battles are meant to be the ones with the big battles like classic warriors and the smaller battles are there to make the more stand out battles do just that feel epic and stand out