• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think we all guessed this would happen. The question is more up in the air in 2022/2023 when things are hopefully able to get back to some semblence of "normal".

I think the bigger question is. Will Bethesda still hold its own event; or will Xbox just increase its event by an hour and include Bethesda stuff in it.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
You guys remember that E3 EGM disc that came out where you could pan the camera 365 degrees around you was you moved around the show floors? I thought that shit was so cool

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Time to end the whole event. There's no reason to make devs work overtime to get something to show for an arbitrary date each year.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
E3 used to be the annual celebration of video gaming, but that big celebration event has since has shifted to The Game Awards.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be, but that's how the industry handles it. Why would Microsoft, for example, hold a few Direct style events when they can just wait and blow their wad at the BIG event? Most of the industry waits for that big event to show everything they have, and it sucks.

I'd rather have the announcements broken up and spread out over the year with smaller and more focused events, rather than one big event. Nintendos had great success with this, and the industry should follow.
Eh Nintendo has Directs all year long even with E3. MS and Sony attended plenty of other trade shows in addition to E3. I don't think it's ever been the case where news wasn't delivered at all times of the year.

As for me, I love E3 and want it back. It's much easier to take a week off of work and enjoy the show when I know it's happening.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bringing everyone to LA just to broadcast it over the web seems pointless, and unnecessarily risky.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about big stage pressers anymore and it isn't worth putting bodies in close proximity to each other with Covid unless its a limited production/crew for something pre-recorded. Just make a virtual booth/LA Convention Center type downloadable experience like Devolver did last year. It may be a licensing nightmare for including multiple publishers but I'm sure it isn't impossible, if the clown show that is the ESA can figure it out for a physical venue I'm sure someone else can cobble something together for a digital experience.

The way Devolver incorporated a stealth minigame into getting access to the booths with integrated trailers was pretty ingenious. If multiple pubs could come to an agreement for something more far reaching this could become the new normal in a post pandemic world. This isn't taking away from standard Direct/SOP type showings mind, but the shift to non location reliant events is more essential than ever right now.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news that E3 will continue. A digital event is definitely the way to go, and would bring all the big industry players together, perfect for most of us who want a week a huge news and announcements.

Love Geoff, but please, don't want to go back to that Summer of gaming mess.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Great news that E3 will continue. A digital event is definitely the way to go, and would bring all the big industry players together, perfect for most of us who want a week a huge news and announcements.
They only need one of the big 3 and the others will fall into line, the question is will they get one?

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They only need one of the big 3 and the others will fall into line, the question is will they get one?
I think MS will be there, and they'll being Bethesda with them. The other 2 may hover around E3 date to get maximum exposure during that period. And the rest will follow.

E3 is back :D

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The future belongs to publishers and console makers putting together Direct-like videos. The archaic stage presentations are a thing of the past.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
They dropped out in 2019 cos they had nothing new to show if I remember correctly. There was no E3 last year, I highly doubt they are done with E3 as you put it.
www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation will not participate in E3 2020

The company will instead attend 'hundreds of consumer events across the globe'

That was in January, months before anyone started pulling out of events because of covid. And if they were unwilling to attend E3 the same year they were planning on unveiling and launching the PS5, why would you think they'd attend E3 any other year?

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as we get a decent Direct from the Big 3 I'm good.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
ESA's mistake was taking last year off. They should've been more proactive and jumped to digital. Devs and Pubs found a way to get the same reception, eyes to themselves and better sales all around. A lot of them won't be back.