• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Credit where credit's due. This is really a very cool move by them. No expectation that anyone should do this.

What if I have a disc version, but only have a discless next-generation console?

If you have a physical copy of the game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One and have a discless PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series S, you will need to contact EA support at help.ea.com to validate your purchase using your account information to receive your free*** upgrade.

If you're looking to upgrade, start here.

• Select your platform - PS5 or Xbox Series S
  • Choose Codes and promotions for your category, and Replace disc with code for your issue
  • Complete the webform
  • Provide proof of purchase
  • Receive your code and start playing

www.ea.com

Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order | Next Gen Release Details

Respawn, EA, and Lucasfilm Games announce the release of Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I wouldn't ever expect any company to do this. Seeing EA doing it exceeds even my wildest expectations. Great move and good on EA.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That's really damn cool for EA. Usually they've been just "pretty good" when it comes to supporting the consumer and their products, but this is a good couple steps above the extra mile there wow.

EA really is one of the better publishers out there in my opinion, and I hope that the public eventually sees that

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's super cool actually.
I wish the same could be done by other companies as well, e.g. MS giving Seroes S owners access to their physical X1 or 360 library

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's very nice of them! I don't know of any other examples of this so far. Would be nice if other companies follow suit.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That was something that I was wondering about and I'm glad EA took this into account!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully they'll wise up and do the same with BF 2042. Makes no sense to charge a $10 upgrade fee/next gen tax for people on next gen systems.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I might do this to just get a digital copy. I have a Series X, but don't want to need the disk.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, EA was the first company to offer digital refunds. They had that on Origin before Steam followed suit.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to need to be standard when consoles eventually stop shipping with disc drives but still support BC.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit... proof of purchase. Doubt I still have the receipt from Dec 2019

Edit: wait, you need both the top options and either #3 or 4?
  • A picture of your game disc alongside a handwritten note of your PSN ID or Xbox Gamertag.
  • A picture of your receipt (for in-store purchases) or screenshot of your digital invoice (for online purchases) for the game that shows:
    • the date of purchase
    • the price you paid
    • the name of the game you bought
    • If you have a physical receipt from an in-store retailer, please sign and date your receipt before taking a picture of it.
  • A picture of your receipt (for in-store purchases) or invoice (for online purchases) for your discless console that shows:
    • your signature and today's date - please print out your invoice to sign and date it
    • the date of purchase
    • the price you paid
    • the name of the console you purchased.
  • If you don't have proof of purchase for your console, take a picture of your TV screen while you're logged into your discless console, showing your PSN ID or Xbox Gamertag on the screen.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Cool idea, seems you have to jump through some hoops to claim (as you'd expect):

unknown.png

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(checks notes) EA?????

my compliments to them.

Jan 18, 2021
If I have the dick on PS4 can I get the upgrade for series x?

I have gamepass ultinate so I guess it doesnt really matter but it would be cool

Edit: doesnt seem like you can. Oh well GPU it is.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Thats cool, more devs/pubs need to offer this.
I wonder how easy it would be for MS and Sony to offer a disc 2 digital program.
Sure would be handy for new Series S/PS5 discless owners, would prefer my digital purchases from this point to be mostly games i don't already own rather than plugging in the gaps in the library made by the move to a discless console (not that theres many in my case thanks to chunk being on Gamepass now).

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. Receipt from 2019 for a cash purchase is going to be tough though. Not everyone is like me and still has a Babbage's receipt from 1995 for Wing Commander III (I didn't keep it this long on purpose, I just found it one day in a box of old stuff)

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Man, it's quite tedious process though.
I don't have the receipt as I bought it from Tesco in 2019, but can see the purchase on my bank statement - hoping they'll honour that.

It should be noted that you have to take pictures of:
  • Your copy of the disc and written username
  • A picture of the purchase receipt
  • a picture of your receipt for discless unit OR photo of tv whilst logged into discless console showing user name

Ah shit... proof of purchase. Doubt I still have the receipt from Dec 2019

Edit: wait, you need both the top options and either #3 or 4?

It says "We need all of the following screenshots in order to help you. If you don't attach all the files, we will ask you to resubmit the webform"

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Wow I literally asked for this
www.resetera.com

There should be some way to turn physical games to digital

The only reason that I didn’t buy a digital console is because of my physical collection of previous gen, I would love an option to convert them to digital but there is just no option like this at least in the gaming industry. My blu ray movies came with a digital code and so did some of my...

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question, I still have the PS4 disc and a disc based PS5. How do I upgrade?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
HUGE props to the devs and EA for this. Getting a Digital PS5 has been a pain the ass. Hope some other companies follow suit *stares at Square Enix*

mark118

Aug 19, 2018
Got a reply today from ea support after submitting my proof of purchase on Saturday saying I should try again at a later time as there tool to generate key's doesn't work but my submitted proof of purchase is fine. This was UK support.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
2k did it too when they released bishock 1 remastered. I sent a photo of my 2009 purchase of bioshock 1. Only cd photo coz i didnt have the bill anymore. And the support gave me a steam key for bioshock remastered.