Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So, this article just appeared on my Twitter feed: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...perception-that-were-just-a-bunch-of-bad-guys

"25 years at EA and I still struggle with the external perception that we're just a bunch of bad guys," says Matt Bilbey, EVP of strategic growth at EA. "We love making and playing games. Unfortunately, when we make mistakes on games, the world knows about it because it's of a size and scale."

Wonder why people don't like EA. Maybe it has anything to do with this:

Maybe it's because they actively killed the Dreamcast. Or maybe it's the studio closures. Or maybe it's them shitting on the amazing legacy of franchises they have.

I have a really hard time understanding why people don't like EA.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
888.jpg

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's called getting indoctrinated because you're trained and subliminally cultivated into the kind of sterile corporate culture they have there.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Then stop being a bunch of bad guys

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
«Sure, we get voted worst company in America every year... but really, we're good.»

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
When your entire livilhood is based on a unregulated gambling like scheme, well unregulated gambling like bullshit doesn't seem that evil, yah know?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they became the bad guy after they started using that splash screen with the child whispering at me

go away creepy child, i'll challenge what i want to challenge

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps leading the way with manipulative 'surprise mechanics' might have something to do with it.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
You can't really blame EA for the NFL deal. The NFL went to them to make a deal because they felt Sega/VC disrespected the NFL brand by releasing NFL2K5 at $20.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
It's kinda misleading gif, as the Nazi officer is having a crisis of confidence concerning being a Nazi/evil. The interviewed EA per struggles with what he presumes is a misapprehension that EA is evil.

Also telling in a story where Matt (EA) try's to portray EA as game loving, look at EA original after all. The point where his actual emotions come out is when he describes being unduly stressed concerning Google's Stadia announcement and how it would essentially impact their business... That's what he gives a shit about, that's why he cares about the perception of EA as a bad guy because it kinda maybe affects their bottom line.

"I was in his office waiting for [Andrew Wilson] and he walked in and I had my head in my hands and he asked 'What's wrong?' I was like: 'My brain hurts. We had concluded that this is the future, then Google came along and announced something that we weren't expecting, so now we're not so sure.' It's stressful, but exciting."

In a story about how he feels at being unfairly portrayed, his anecdote about actual feelings he has seared into his mind is about the business.

Last edited:

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird that one of my most anticipated games this Fall is a EA game, and a Star Wars game. I don't like EA, and I'm just okay with SW. But Respawn. I really hope it's good and it sells well, maybe that will be a kick in the pants EA needs.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Make a new mirrors edge EA, please and thank you

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Came in for arewethebaddies.gif

Thank you era.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It must suck to be passionate about game development, only to have corporate suits force you to add loot boxes and release unfinished games.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Maybe you should stop putting in "Surprise Game Mechanics" that target kids and people with gambling problems EA? Also don't expect people to pay $60 for games that are not finished?
Honestly surprised Activision hasn't taken the mantel of evil considering how they fired their employees despite holding a record year of revenue.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only the NFL though. They do the same shit with FIFA
Well, again, that comes down to an agreement between both parties. EA would not have license exclusivity for FIFA or NFL titles if FIFA/the NFL didn't want the video game rights for their branding to be exclusive.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Well just a few months ago a report came out that EA employees were being overworked to the point of nervous breakdowns...

Maybe if you treat employees right and stop putting 'surprise mechanics' in your games people will stop hating EA.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A good company would go "hey, if this perception of us is so prominent, maybe we should look into WHY that is? Perception becomes reality, after all..."

Instead...
source.gif