• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
EA%20Sports%20College%20Football%20Deal%20Terms.jpg

News comes courtesy of Matt Brown, who publishes a newsletter that concerns off-the-field dealings in college football

This proposal also gives us insight into the type of royalties EA are paying to the CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company) in order to feature universities affiliated with the organization in their titles
Royalties are split into a tier system, and although the amounts and percentages have been redacted, we can see that Tier IV institutions (featuring less well-performing teams) will receive a significantly lower percentage of the royalty payments than the other three tiers. EA says tiering could "vary from year to year" if an institution begins to perform significantly above or below their current position, which would entitle that team to greater royalty payments. The royalty rate from
NCAA Football
has been increased from 8.5%, although we don't know what the new amount is.
techraptor.net

The New EA Sports College Football Deal Covers 4 Games

EA has signed a four-year deal to revive the EA Sports College Football (or NCAA Football) franchise, and the terms of that deal have been revealed.
Sounds like not every college has been game for this arrangement, as San Diege State has raised objections according to Matt Brown's article (for paying customers only, although I was able to ascertain the identity of the school from the web page title)
www.extrapointsmb.com

Emails show not every school is thrilled with the money they're getting from EA Sports College Football

How much money does a school make from EA Sports College Football? Well, not enough for at least one school.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me at all if they just downloaded the mods already made for NCAA stuff release that lol.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I have my xbox 360 still hooked up JUST so I can play my dynasty mode in ncaa 14. I cannot wait for this to come back. I wish it wasnt 2023 and was a 2022 title, but what ever, I can wait 1 extra year for it.

I hope we get it and it outsells madden and they never take it off the market again. We dont need player likeness or any of that shit. Give us randomly generated characters with the CLC license and a robust dynasty mode and we are good to go.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Don't put yourself through that disappointment lol. Best to go in with low expectations and maybe be pleasantly surprised by some changes they've made.
Come on now...This is EA. You know this is exactly what the plan is.
PLS be new tech and not just Madden with switched out with NCAA

Y'all wildin if you think any company would create an entirely new engine for this when they already have a long running series in the exact same sport. I'm cracking up at anyone being even a little disappointed in that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all wildin if you think any company would create an entirely new engine for this when they already have a long running series in the exact same sport. I'm cracking up at anyone being even a little disappointed in that.
I guess the question is how much will this feel directly like re-skinned Madden as opposed to having enough unique gameplay wrinkles to feel like it's own thing.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if the NCAA team actually has a long development cycle, with the ability to update the Madden engine in a way that gets ported back into Madden itself. That's the biggest problem with Madden is that a year doesn't allow you to do much of anything anymore. But if the NCAA team can update things and fix issues, that could then in turn be shifted into Madden itself.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It would be nice if the NCAA team actually has a long development cycle, with the ability to update the Madden engine in a way that gets ported back into Madden itself. That's the biggest problem with Madden is that a year doesn't allow you to do much of anything anymore. But if the NCAA team can update things and fix issues, that could then in turn be shifted into Madden itself.

This is what I'm hoping, that madden becomes a reskinned ncaa as opposed to the other way round

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
This means that the players will finally get stipend for their likenesses being used, right?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the question is how much will this feel directly like re-skinned Madden as opposed to having enough unique gameplay wrinkles to feel like it's own thing.

That's fair criticism. Locomotion wise...it'll have good bones at least. I'm sure the biggest difference will be in presentation..rules and formations/plays.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
And how much are the "student athletes" getting from this?

cartman-colorado-u-df569f27cd7b849041735ebbd78e212d.jpg

With NIL now being a thing? They will be getting a check.

www.espn.com

Everything you need to know about the NCAA's NIL debate

With the athletes, the NCAA, legislators and the courts all still involved, expect more twists and turns in the name, image and likeness debate. Check back here for all the latest news.

www.ncsasports.org

What is NIL? NCAA Rule Explained

Learn about the NCAA NIL rules regarding the for-profit use of a student-athlete’s name, image and likeness for endorsements or promotions.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I think I can wait two years! It is crazy how much I miss buying the new entry of this franchise day one each summer.

Schools not getting in on this will be missing out. NIL is coming quick, and that extra check will be a factor for prospective players. Not to mention seeing yourself in a video game would be awesome.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Schools not getting in on this will be missing out. NIL is coming quick, and that extra check will be a factor for prospective players. Not to mention seeing yourself in a video game would be awesome.

The players reporters have talked to have basically said they would even be fine with just a copy of the game as compensation, though they obviously deserve a cash payout as well.

And yes, any school that does not sign up will be at a recruiting disadvantage.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PLS be new tech and not just Madden with switched out with NCAA
I know everyone is giving the "lol EA" response, but in the past NCAA football was generally the more experimental game that would try things out that would then get picked up by Madden. Effectively, Madden was more based on NCAA than the other way around. I'm not super optimistic, but if they go back to that approach, it would be nice.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun having a game that is my probably my most anticipated game in a decade plus, while also fully expecting to be one of the most disappointing games of my lifetime when it is inevitably mucked up by ultimate team and other nonsense.

But I'm fully along for this ride! Hoping for the best!

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Very interested to see if this deal alters at all with NIL passing and changing players being able to make money on their likeness now, and thanks to congress punting the issue and the supreme court basically saying it's a state issue, now every state has individual rules and as we have seen, even colleges with the same state differ from each other.

As an example in KY, NIL doesn't even apply because the school itself can't be a sponsor or promote the player making the money. Would make sense to say that NIL wouldn't apply, but now that it exist EA won't be able to just design the players in their likeness and do a name swap, because NIL exist now.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Wasn't NCAA being "last year's Madden, but with an extra year of polish" actually considered one of the positives about the franchise back in the day?
Not necessarily. I mean, I always thought NCAA was more fun to play though. It's weird because they'd definitely experiment with the engine and try out new features that might not be in Madden but typically Madden's gameplay was a bit more polished. There would be times that a Madden feature one year would appear in the next NCAA and maybe vice versa. I personally liked NCAA way more than Madden but Maddens overall gameplay typically was a tad more polished than NCAA.

Edit: I'm talking about mid 2000s. Early 2000s it seemed like they shared the exact same engine and NCAA was basically "college Madden" but around 2005 it seemed NCAA's engine started to deviate slightly

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think the current rumor is that no player likeness will be used so i dont see players getting anything from this directly