• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Via their conference call.

EA says Apex Legends built from the ground up. Will be operated as a live service with content updates and changes. Opportunities to take the game in different directions. Esports will be part of that. New game modes, legends etc... Looking at mobile ver. and crossplay

Makes sense. The game certainly seems scalable.

Earlier comment about mobile/Switch ports via Eurogamer...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans

As leaked, Apex Legends is available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Lead producer Drew McCoy told me that while Respawn would love to bring Apex Legends to mobile and Switch, there's "nothing [they] can currently talk about", so you'll have to dock that handheld for now.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if the Switch reveal was waiting for a Nintendo Direct to occur.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Wouldn't it be funny if this suddenly announced and released battle royale title is 10x more successful than the triple AAA uberhyped Anthem?

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
they've already ruled out cross progress and cross purchase entirely.

cross platform play with no cross platform progress is better than nothing, i guess.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
What's amazing is that they're sustaining a huge player base on a multiplayer game with no hiccups on their servers. That's an amazing feat.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Not copying Fortnite's crossplay and crossprogression is idiotic.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Not copying Fortnite's crossplay and crossprogression is idiotic.
Game development is time consuming and difficult. Respawn's staff is immensely talented, accomplished, and smart. Features like cross play and cross progression take time to implement plus EA has to convince Sony to expand their "Cross-play beta" to Apex Legends. Give it time, and please ease up a bit.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still hope the game does end up on all platforms (Switch and mobile, that is) with full cross-progression and cross-play. It may take some time, they're currently saying the former is impossible, but maybe they figure it out one day. It's definitely a game I could see myself playing anywhere.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Good on them. Fortnite needed a strong contender. The model is definitely profitable.

fersnake

Nov 17, 2017
Guatemala
when you do things right, this are the results. excellent job Respawn hope EA doesnt get greedy with this and ruin the game.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
All this hype and marketing spent on Anthem, and EA's flagship 2019 title is eclipsed by a shadow-dropped free-to-play battle royale game publicised only by word of mouth.

They must be hitting themselves right now.

How do esports work for a battle royale? Do they really get 50 players together IRL for a few matches or what?

Depends on the format of the tournament.

Doing it by the default rules of the game usually results in a terrible turtling viewing experience, so points are awarded for kills to promote aggressive play alongside final placement. Multiple matches are then played and the highest points wins.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Man, the lack of crossprogression prospects really is a bummer.

How do esports work for a battle royale? Do they really get 50 players together IRL for a few matches or what?
Points for kills and points for end of game ranking through several matches. And yes, PUBG tournaments usually are 25 teams per match. 100 people. There are different formats with fewer players too.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
I would love esports for this. It's a good game for some great comebacks and crazy plays.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Will be interesting to see how a mobile version will own out.

I think the game has legs for e-sports, it's just a matter of getting their feet off the ground first thou