Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Setting BioWare up to die perhaps.

I really don't see the game suddenly surprising people who aren't already interested.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People saying this is an era bubble thing, why do you think that casuals are going to flock to this game?

This is not a new cod or new Battle Royale game which the buzz still seems to be about. Even in the loot genre, there's

-blizz is likely to launch a competitor
-destiny is kind of good now or at least perceived to be
-division 2 for the grittier shoot bang loot fans

Loot fans have settled in somewhere already, and the shared world hype has fallen to other genres that don't seem to be going away soon. Is it blind faith in ea marketing?
It will have a good strong 4 months, but with out PvP I don't see people sticking around. This needed to come out while Destiny was doing bad.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I suspect that the game is going to do well and era too be surprised. This gaas game that seems to have elements of destiny, some monster Hunter and some Warframe with an EA budget is probably going to be ok (financially).

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised they raised expectations

Its tracking VERY strong

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
yea... also, because they have to. because BF5 will underperform, and they need to make up the revenue somewhere.
And Anthem is their last big launch before end of fiscal.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is more a current deflection of battlefield V's inevitable poor outing. Anthem has not shown really anything yet to get excited about as well. Yesterday's video did no favors.

Using a conference call about earnings as a "deflection" would be fraud.

People on gaming forums need to understand how businesses work. You can't just lie about shit to shareholders.

-blizz is likely to launch a competitor

When? Before Anthem launches or soon after? Because if it's much later, EA will have their money and player base.

-destiny is kind of good now or at least perceived to be

It's also old, and not quite the same genre.

-division 2 for the grittier shoot bang loot

This isn't even close to the same genre. The Division is a slow tactics game, with military themes and art direction. Amthem has the alien thing going on and involves the flight suits heavily.

I'm probably not getting this game (certainly not at launch as I never do that), but it most certainly is a forum bubble game. Put it in the same camp with CoD, League of Legends, and all sports titles.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I fully expect Anthem's success to leave a lot of this place dumbfounded.
I fully expect it to be a success, just as I fully expect it to absolutely not be for me. That's fine.

Even Andromeda may have "killed" Mass Effect, but even EA never said it was an outright financial flop.
Prior to the release of Mass Effect: Andromeda, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Blake Jorgensen projected that it would sell 3 million units before the end of March, and 6 to 9 million units during its lifetime.[139] BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn predicted that it would sell at least 5 million copies worldwide... In EA's Q3 FY18 Earnings Call on January 30 of 2018, CEO Andrew Wilson was asked by a research analyst as to why "unfortunately, some of the nonsports titles have performed below expectations" (the analyst did not name any specific game). After citing the good performances of other games such as Battlefield 1 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, Wilson responded: "if you look at Mass Effect [Andromeda], while there was some polarizing sentiment in that franchise, it's actually performed really well, and player engagement is really strong."[143]

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I wonder where they get all this confidence for the game from? It really doesn't look like anything special.

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was BioWare's destiny?

The structure seems to be closer to MH or Warframe than Destiny. Pick quest from quest board, either post it yourself or join one already posted by other player (afaik this applies to every single quest). There is even SOS flare system afaik.

Edit : Also afaik you only see people in your instance ? So no random encounter with random player while exploring.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, even after this statement people here really ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ are expecting it to flop?

Oct 27, 2017
Based on data, sure. Based on spinning some low sales elsewhere with nothing to back it up? Fraud. Any shareholder could ask if info supports this claim.

What are you talking about? They talk less about the low performing assets and more about the high performing ones. That is any quarterly review within any company.

Oct 25, 2017
February is kind of empty in terms of AAA games, so it's not surprising. That + co-op shooter rpg loot game + auto-good reviews + EA marketing guarantees it's a hit.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still isn't a day 1 buy for me, but it's definitely a game I wouldn't mind picking up in the future, hopefully after patches/updates/etc.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's see how it goes when people get their hands on it for a beta. It's one of those things that can either help them a ton, or cause people to cancel their pre-orders and flat out not buy it.

Speaking of the beta, is there one planned for the game?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely at the top of my list. Really hoping it turns out well because everything they've shown looks great.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I have no doubts it'll be a hit. I also have little doubt it'll spell the end of Dragon Age and turn Mass Effect into something unrecognizable.

Yay.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If the content and post-launch support is there, that potential can be met, but those are two things EA has dropped the ball on this entire gen

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
This game was high up there for me initially, I was so hyped.
But this is the first time in my life that the more and more I see footage, the less and less I actually see; if that makes sense.

, or cause people to cancel their pre-orders and flat out not buy it.

I don't know if you can cancel pre-orders over a certain time frame.
https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

The wording there makes it sound confusing, I pre-ordered it weeks ago so it's more than 14 days.
However, purchase and pre-order are two seperate and defined terms so I would assume I can refund based on the "or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered".

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I can't help wonder what Anthem was before EA stepped in with its multiplayer GaaS directive.
Probably a floundering mess. Casey Hudson left, after all and I doubt it was easy to be optimistic about making an all-new IP when hot criticism was coming in that you just ruined one. And looking into the seams it was Mac Walters who was making the setting for Anthem and in fact according to his LinkedIn he wrote the IP-guide (rulebook of isms, stylistic choices and lore-direction I think) that it still goes by, as he was Narrative Director before the project changed when Casey departed. I think Mass Effect and Dragon Age benefited from having the old guard of BioWare writers all aboard when they were being drafted like David Gaider and Drew Karpyshyn and especially Chris L'Etoile who is a master at lore-crafting and also appears in the credits of DA:O. I think Anthem marked the first time BioWare realized what they had lost of creative talent whereas their previous 3 games had them running with what had been made, thinking it would all go just fine.

The sort of world building we're likely to see in Anthem will be like the sort of world building we saw in Andromeda, I think. It's alright but it's just not special and doesn't really set it apart as an IP. Never would've but I'm just very pessimistic about the state of BioWare since ME3.

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics in the recent gameplay videos looked downgraded as fuck compared to that E3 reveal trailer imo.
Or let's put it this way, the scripted nature of the reveal trailer puts the game it in the best possible light which is not representative of how the game will look. Recent stuff looks very mmo-ish, far less "cinematic" and like a straight Destiny rip-off even in the art-style department.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics in the recent gameplay videos looked downgraded as fuck compared to that E3 reveal trailer imo.
Or let's put it this way, the scripted nature of the reveal trailer puts the game it in the best possible light which is not representative of how the game will look. Recent stuff looks very mmo-ish, far less "cinematic" and like a straight Destiny rip-off even in the art-style department.
The demo at PGW was on PC and incorrectly set to lower settings.
There is plenty of recent footage showing the game exactly as it looked like last year.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This will be another "Wow didn't know its out - People care about such stuff?lol" Game once Sales Numbers are out like Ghost Recon and other were on here/old place in the recent years.

This game is a shooter from EA and has focus on Multiplayer PvE-Coop - It will sell well to the general public (if they don't do anything totally stupid we don't know about yet)
And so far in its direct release window i see nothing competing with it.