• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
FIFA 23 can still be accessed through EA Play. Microtransactions up until FIFA 22 can still be found, despite the name being changed to FUT 22.
EA's FIFA titles, including last year's FIFA 23, are no longer available for purchase on the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Nintendo eShop, Steam, and Epic Games Store.

5VXJFAU.png

60h9or3.png

psxbrasil.com.br

EA remove FIFA 23 da PS Store e outras lojas digitais - PSX Brasil

Os títulos FIFA da EA, inclusive o FIFA 23 do ano passado, não estão mais disponíveis para compra na PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Nintendo eShop, Steam

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Wonder how much is the licensing terms with FIFA and how much is them trying to move everyone to FC24

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Kinda suspected something like that would happen after the beef with the real FIFA and the name switch. That's why I bought FIFA 23 recently in a sale, even though I don't play FIFA games that often anymore. I own all FIFA games digitally up from FIFA 14.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Wonder how much is the licensing terms with FIFA and how much is them trying to move everyone to FC24
This is all licensing I think, since they can't use the FIFA name anymore. I imagine they could have earned a little money if they kept the older ones for sale for cheap if possible.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Surely that devalues EA Play somewhat, with no football (soccer) games on the service anymore?

99% of FIFA players only play the most recent ones with the new rosters and kits.
Especially on EA Play nobody will want to play FIFA22 all of a sudden, when the 2024 game is right there.

I think fifa 23 is still available and suspect that's enough for most people.

Old FIFA games are basically worthless the moment a new one comes out. At most people will stick with the old version for a few months if they are invested in career modes and stuff.
This year the cutoff might be a bit different because of the licensing change but it won't affect the vast majority of players at all.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
EA - FIFA partnership started in 1994.
Never thought back then it would last this long.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
This was always going to happen really. The age of EA FC has begun. I can't believe FIFA were so greedy with the licensing fees. Actually yes I can.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Damn, what a shame, especially since FC24 looks graphically so much worse than Fifa 23.

sheeldz

Jun 8, 2021
At some point in the mid 2000s I assumed FIFA would stop, after losing SEGA Soccer and Sensi and Actua Soccer et al. It couldn't last.

But now it has actually happened it's surreal.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Probably is. It's a bit weird that EA Play is fine for now but we have seen similar things before iirc.
Yeah, when the Rory McIlroy PGA Tour license expired, they kept it on EA Play for subscribers tho you couldn't buy it.

Surely that devalues EA Play somewhat, with no football (soccer) games on the service anymore?
FIFA 23 still seems to be available on EA Play - at least from what I can see on my Xbox currently. Maybe they'll do what they done with Rory McIlroy PGA Tour and keep that available only for subscribers but not purchasable until they make EA FC24 available early next year?

They do this with the UFC games as well.
The FIFA games from 2017 onwards were on sale until this point, which especially given 2017-2019 was linked by a story mode makes this more of a thing than when the UFC games get delisted after like 4 years.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
I can't get over the fact they haven't released their old ISS and ISS Pro games on digital storefronts. I mean, hey didn't have any license so there shouldn't be any problem.

Give us ISS 98 please!
Some of the later games got team and player licenses, so they would be a problem. Agree on bringing back ISS 98 - I'm sure Zafarcakes would be a fan of this too.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over the fact they haven't released their old ISS and ISS Pro games on digital storefronts. I mean, hey didn't have any license so there shouldn't be any problem.

Give us ISS 98 please!

They should definitely put International Superstar Soccer on the SNES switch online at least, it's one of the best games in the entire series.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I will never get over what Konami did to PES.

Don't get the Konami blame tbh
Lots of Japanese studios had massive issues adjusting to the PS360 hardware, Konami was one of them.
They just got super unlucky that EA started their "hey, let's make good games for a change" campaign around the same time PES struggled on the new consoles.
By 2009 FIFA was just a better game (even a die hard PES fan like me had to admit that) and by 2012 they put FUT in, which took FIFA to another level.

At the end of the day, PES was only able to compete with FIFA for a brief stint because the gameplay disparity was huge and you could edit in the real names and logos of the unlicensed teams.
Once we got to the HD era, with face scanning, bespoke stadiums and kits etc the Editors didn't cut it anymore.

Konami tried their best to revamp/revitalize the series imo but there is just no market to speak of for a football game without the Premier League license.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
At the end of the day, PES was only able to compete with FIFA for a brief stint because the gameplay disparity was huge and you could edit in the real names and logos of the unlicensed teams.
Once we got to the HD era, with face scanning, bespoke stadiums and kits etc the Editors didn't cut it anymore.
Yup, PS2 era was peak Option File editing era.

I made one for PES6 back on PESFan but come 2008 it wasn't worth doing anymore.

Kurtofan

Oct 28, 2017
gianni infantino is on the case, don't u worry boys and girls

www.bbc.co.uk

Fifa no more? EA Sports rebrands its biggest game

Work has started on introducing the successor to the famous football game.

"Fifa president Gianni Infantino said last month [March 2023] it is planning to compete with EA Sports FC in the future, and will keep its video game brand alive.

He said: "The new Fifa game, Fifa 25, 26, 27 and so on, will always be the best e-game for any girl or boy."

His comments caused surprise, given the complex and expensive nature of making a game of this scale."

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible they're working on a Fifa game for a 2025 release? Who would be making it and who has control over assets from previous titles?

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gianni infantino is on the case, don't u worry boys and girls

www.bbc.co.uk

Fifa no more? EA Sports rebrands its biggest game

Work has started on introducing the successor to the famous football game.

"Fifa president Gianni Infantino said last month [March 2023] it is planning to compete with EA Sports FC in the future, and will keep its video game brand alive.

He said: "The new Fifa game, Fifa 25, 26, 27 and so on, will always be the best e-game for any girl or boy."

His comments caused surprise, given the complex and expensive nature of making a game of this scale."
I know getting a new Football game up and running in just a year would have been a tall order, but I feel FIFA really dropped the ball on this one. They've given EA time to advertise the shit out of their new game, and have the market all to itself this year. By the time FIFA actually release a game, I somehow doubt its going to really move the needle too much, I mean unless its absolutely amazing. But even then... well the best we can hope is the glory years of FIFA Vs Pro Evo in the PS2/PS3 years...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's always lame when any game is delisted, however, I want to make a stupid joke anyway

*Clears throat*

FIFA games were always D-list anyway

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The game should've been FUT24, just pretend the F stands for Football and not FIFA
Nah, I disagree. Naming it after Ultimate Team would turn off a decent chunk of buyers I think as not everyone who buys FIFA like that shit.
I think making EA the brand name for their biggest sports game probably helps them with their other licenses too, if they can drop their biggest brand because they want too much, they can drop the others if they start taking the piss too.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I know getting a new Football game up and running in just a year would have been a tall order, but I feel FIFA really dropped the ball on this one. They've given EA time to advertise the shit out of their new game, and have the market all to itself this year. By the time FIFA actually release a game, I somehow doubt its going to really move the needle too much, I mean unless its absolutely amazing. But even then... well the best we can hope is the glory years of FIFA Vs Pro Evo in the PS2/PS3 years...

Whatever Fifa ends up releasing has a high chance of just bein a mobile game.

They'll also have the same problem everyone else has in that getting the licensing for the leagues (as opposed to NT's) will be a tall and expensive order and so they are unlikely to bother.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
By they you mean Fifa? All assets are EA's. Next fifa games will probably be some reskined mobile game.
Yes, I did mean FIFA. Interesting.

I guessed that would be the case but given there are multiple people referencing a drop in quality between EA's final FIFA game and EA FC I was curious that it may be a more complex situation behind the scenes.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get the Konami blame tbh
Lots of Japanese studios had massive issues adjusting to the PS360 hardware, Konami was one of them.
They just got super unlucky that EA started their "hey, let's make good games for a change" campaign around the same time PES struggled on the new consoles.
By 2009 FIFA was just a better game (even a die hard PES fan like me had to admit that) and by 2012 they put FUT in, which took FIFA to another level.

Konami tried their best to revamp/revitalize the series imo but there is just no market to speak of for a football game without the Premier League license.

You write as is the whole PES/eFootball franchise has been in decline for over a decade, when in reality the mobile version had an insanely large installbase, even bigger than FIFA for some time I think. That's also the reason why they decided to make the mobile version kind of the "lead-platform" for the core game.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever Fifa ends up releasing has a high chance of just bein a mobile game.

They'll also have the same problem everyone else has in that getting the licensing for the leagues (as opposed to NT's) will be a tall and expensive order and so they are unlikely to bother.
Man, that'd be wild if they skip out on some of those licenses... from what I understand - that's like a big part of why people like EAs Football game (I remember people passing on Pro Evo, even during its good days because of that)
Mobile game huh... not the worst idea especially if they can come to an insidious mtx model to get tons of money from whales, but I cant imagine they'll succeed otherwise... and by "succeed" I mean "fleece money from whales".

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Man, that'd be wild if they skip out on some of those licenses... from what I understand - that's like a big part of why people like EAs Football game (I remember people passing on Pro Evo, even during its good days because of that)
Mobile game huh... not the worst idea especially if they can come to an insidious mtx model to get tons of money from whales, but I cant imagine they'll succeed otherwise... and by "succeed" I mean "fleece money from whales".
EA already has a free to play mtx fifa/eafc mobile game too, so it's not even like they have anything new either lol

Feb 27, 2019
I was about to say, I sure can.

I think in the end EA will probably end up thanking them due to saving a ton of money on licensing fees.

Absolutely. It's going to be hilarious when they announce the sales numbers and it's clear that FIFA screwed up royally.

They don't even have a game—it'll probably be some crappy mobile thing that comes out in 2025. Just a hilariously boneheaded move by FIFA.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Well, I hope that when FIFA is making their own game, PES/Konami hopefully comming back and with the new UFL slowly shaping up, there hopefully will be some development in the Football video game landscape.

FIFA was just literally a 70€ update each year...
barely improvements.
The animations still dont look nearly as fluid as they could. Same with ball physics.

PES aöways was the more realistic and better game to me. Its a shame they went so downhill and also never really had a chance because of licensing.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA already has a free to play mtx fifa/eafc mobile game too, so it's not even like they have anything new either lol
Oh really? Wasnt aware of that one. Doesnt surprise me though lol... makes it sound like whatever FIFA does they could struggle to break EAs stranglehold on the sport in videogames...