Oct 27, 2017
Dqb7XTLX4AE_JY6.jpg

Early releases for special-editions are getting out of hand. It was whatever when it was "only" 3 days, but 11 days are crossing the line. Perhaps most publishers are sensible and avoid penalizing their standard customers, but this EA program should not be accepted as okay. 3-day ultimate editions got normalized, so now businesses are trying to push it as far as possible until a backlash happens. Gamers have successfully "defeated" a Deus-Ex pre-order program.

This is the situation:
• EA delays the game by one month
• EA sells the 11-day early start to those who pay $10/month

I don't think that it is a smart business decision in a long run. It is a direct damage to the standard customer experience in order to create some fake value in the sub/special editions. Give them some closed betas, cosmetics, gems or XP boosts.

"Just" pre-ordering the game should not put you in the brackets of an 11-day penalty. I assume people aren't too enthusiastic about BFV, so they don't care as much. However, this is bad, right?

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit, I don't really mind the 3 day thing it's for the nutbags who wanna play all weekend or what have you but 11 days is beyond ridiculous, especially in something like a competitive FPS where game knowledge is one of the most important tools in winning

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I already think a 3 day head start for $$ is scummy, so... Yeah.
Can't imagine retail partners are too happy with the current direction either.

Oct 27, 2017
So... The online server will go up 10 days earlier for those people who pay more money can get the advantage at starting point?

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Who could have seen this coming? Lmao

I remember how people defended this in all the previous threads like it's not a big deal.. well guess what deal is and will be getting "bigger"

Hungry suits never sleep.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
In this case I suspect they want a smaller group of people to play first so they can iron out their changes to MP and make sure everything is smooth for the full release - a beta round 2.

It's not a great precedent obviously, but I can see why they'd do it for a primarily MP game that they've been delaying and tweaking.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This can and will completely ruin competitive games.

If you don't shell out extra money you miss out on 11 days of experience with the game. By the time average players get in you'll be pitted against players who know the maps and probably have access to better options depending on how this game handled player progression.

Oct 27, 2017
Then dont pay for it. It's not a big deal having to wait a few extra days to play a game.

Yeah, its dumb and a cash grab, but if people are gullible enough to pay for it because they cant wait a few days then that's on them. Theyve already proven to these publishers that there are a bunch of people willing to pay for early access to a product.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
That's yet another predatory practice by game publishers... I wonder what they'll come up with next gen to fuck their customers, but I bet it's going to be great.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
I just don't like it when they do this with pvp games, other games who cares, it'll be annoyance to avoid story spoilers I guess. In the case of BFV, they'll have better perks by the time pleb edition is online. You want a healthy game with lots of people and fast queues, who's to say 10 days is gonna fuck shit up.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My issue with the conversation around these early access things is that people are erroneously conflating the increased price of the edition with receiving the game early.

Almost every one of these editions have extra content, be it physical or digital, that is increasing the price of the special editions.

I don't really have an opinion about them, it doesn't matter to me and I don't mind waiting, but to pretend that people are paying specifically for early access is a bit disingenuous

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
1-3 days I'm okay with but this is ridiculous, especially for a multiplayer focused game.

OP
OP
Evolution of Metal
Oct 27, 2017
Then don't pay for it. It's not a big deal having to wait a few extra days to play a game.

3 days = a few = tolerable inconvience
11 days = not a few = insane inconvenience

The problem is that it isn't even about paying money, even though I should vote with the wallet. The most expensive stand-alone edition still puts you into a 6 day penalty unless you subscribe to the extra service, or plan on keeping the subscribtion permanently.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017

If you don't shell out extra money you miss out on 11 days of experience with the game. By the time average players get in you'll be pitted against players who know the maps and probably have access to better options depending on how this game handled player progression.

Doesn't really matter for games based around scheduled obsolescence and cashing in on hype windows. EA knows what they're doing, they're not worried about the health of the game they just want you to feel left out and cave in.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I should add that I do think 11 days for Battlefield is crazy. I feel like with this particular product that EA should really not be splintering their base.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Who cares really. Just wait the 10 days and play. It's like nobody has ever not bought a game day 1 and caught up to others. Most of these games give decent guns and items by default anyway.

And if it keeps the base games from going up in price all the better.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously fuck anyone that always defended that shit practice. Now it even gets worse.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
EA Access has always had the 10 day early thing, though with a time limit.

Also this makes it cheaper for gamers if they play 2+ EA games a year as can just subscribe for 10 a month rather than 70/80 for the full DLC edition of the games.

I'm surprised the Xbox hasn't got premier yet.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Soon: ''Buy the special edition now, or get the normal peasant edition 6 months later when the game is already dead.''

Aug 3, 2018
So how is this any different than if didnt by Battlefield until a month after it came out? You'd be behind anyways.

And it's just a video game, not real life.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Damn

I had already began to lose interest in the game after the beat, this might seal the deal for me to skip it. Really not a fan to pay full price for the game and still not get it at the same time as everyone else

OP
OP
Evolution of Metal
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares really. Just wait the 10 days and play. It's like nobody has ever not bought a game day 1 and caught up to others. Most of these games give decent guns and items by default anyway.

You haven't played Beta, the game is purely about leveling-up guns now, because they are much worse without max level into the skill tree. You are easily looking at the -20-30% of the stock guns performance compared to the fully spec'ed tree. So this isn't just the convenience issue, it is also about potential early advantage.

And the idea that this penalty exists for the sake of the package price is also, a bullshit. It exists because EA wants to promote their service, but they have no extra value in it, so they have to make it worse for the standard edition. Unless there is a pushback, you will see the large early-release window being adopted industry-wide.

Happens with every other thing. Both pre-order and microtransactions have reached the boiling pot and were toned-down because people weren't going to tolerate them.

Oct 27, 2017

Battlefield V has weapon upgrade system which can significant makes your gun more powerful/stable/accurate than standard one. If someone play the game ten days early, they'll take huge advantage with this because they will upgrade they're weapon earlier. If I buy standard version of the game, I will definitely encounter these full-upgrade player. That's why I think it's unfair.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how is this any different than if didnt by Battlefield until a month after it came out? You'd be behind anyways.

And it's just a video game, not real life.

You pay full price and get a late start which is important for people that really like to play these games. Now they get forced to pay more if they want to keep up with the people that pay too much money for their special deluxe editions. It's shit practice and for the early birds it's a big headstart. If you dont care about that then it's fine but for people wanting everyone to be on a bit more even ground this is just shit and it surely gets worse in the future.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Push back, or give in another inch.

Year by year people are allowing companies to get away with more and more.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My issue with the conversation around these early access things is that people are erroneously conflating the increased price of the edition with receiving the game early.

Almost every one of these editions have extra content, be it physical or digital, that is increasing the price of the special editions.

I don't really have an opinion about them, it doesn't matter to me and I don't mind waiting, but to pretend that people are paying specifically for early access is a bit disingenuous
You are in a thread about a game employing (for the first time ever) an 11 day early access period, and you want to argue it's not driving more people to spend more?

This practice isn't getting more common because it doesn't work. It absolutely is having an effect on sales. There are a lot of impatient gamers.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its especially questionable for BFV, since this is a game where the more you play, the more XP you get, and the better your weapons are gonna be. By the time full price "normal" release date people get in, thousands are gonna be running around knowing all the maps, modes, mechanics, with upgraded weapons that have less recoil/further distance/less pread/faster reloads/etc.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
You haven't played Beta, the game is purely about leveling-up guns now, because they are much worse without max level into the skill tree. You are easily looking at the -20-30% of the stock guns performance compared to the fully spec'ed tree. So this isn't just the convenience issue, it is also about potential early advantage.

And the idea that this penalty exists for the sake of the package price is also, a bullshit. It exists because EA wants to promote their service, but they have no extra value in it, so they have to make it worse for the standard edition. Unless there is a pushback, you will see the large early-release window being adopted industry-wide.

Happens with every other thing. Both pre-order and microtransactions have reached the boiling pot and were toned-down because people weren't going to tolerate them.

I like micro transactions now and don't understand the rage against loot boxes.

I've played cod and joined late to the multiplayer mode. You have to level them and catch up to others.. no big deal. New players come after you and you will be more powerful than them as well. It's an endless cycle. Can you imagine Christmas week and all the under leveled guns.. Oh no! Day 1 after early access, you will most likely be in a server with 80% new players anyway. And unlocking items and upgrades doesn't mean the player is good at the game at all. Just time spent in it

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Wait wait back up.

Having an Origin account costs money now? I've had one on PC for years, but haven't touched it since they gave out that free Sims 2 Complete. Has EA been charging me this whole time?

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
3 days = a few = tolerable inconvience
11 days = not a few = insane inconvenience

The problem is that it isn't even about paying money, even though I should vote with the wallet. The most expensive stand-alone edition still puts you into a 6 day penalty unless you subscribe to the extra service, or plan on keeping the subscribtion permanently.

I think the user means, don't play BFV, All together.

look for a FPS game that better fits your gaming needs and expectations

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait back up.

Having an Origin account costs money now? I've had one on PC for years, but haven't touched it since they gave out that free Sims 2 Complete. Has EA been charging me this whole time?
No, that's "Origin Access" the PC equivalent to "EA access", meaning you get to play a bunch of games for a monthly fee. The standard origin account is free.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Then dont pay for it. It's not a big deal having to wait a few extra days to play a game.

Yeah, its dumb and a cash grab, but if people are gullible enough to pay for it because they cant wait a few days then that's on them. Theyve already proven to these publishers that there are a bunch of people willing to pay for early access to a product.

Pretty much my opinion on this.

This really isn't a problem. People should have the option to pay with money if they don't have the luxury of free time that many younger people have.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Capitalism sucks sometimes..Its a cash grab of course, but people are willing to pay

Real talk people buy online MP games months after release including myself and still do fine against the elite goons online. So I cant really get behind the 11 day. "advantage" stuff.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone from the outside looking in (I don't buy games until they are on sale, months or years after release), this seems like a pretty clever idea to get money from those who insist on getting games as early as possible.

Wait wait back up.

No, its free, but you can sign up for Access/Premier, which is a games as a service program where you get a (considerably large) library of games for a monthly fee.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted : if the game is gold, then its avaliable as digital download early

but then it's missing sometimes crucial "day one" patch so...

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted : if the game is gold, then its avaliable as digital download early

but then it's missing sometimes crucial "day one" patch so...

That's really not how things work. These things have their day 1 patch built in on PC early (which is where this program is the focus). Day 1 patches on consoles are largely about not being ready for the physical printing, which PC doesn't have to worry about.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
OW and R6 constantly add new players that who deal with being many months behind. IMO, some of you guys are making this out to be a bigger deal than it is.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Who could have seen this coming? Lmao

I remember how people defended this in all the previous threads like it's not a big deal.. well guess what deal is and will be getting "bigger"

Hungry suits never sleep.

Exactly. Every one of these practices is a slippery-slope. As soon as one company can set a precedent, others will follow as well. We've done a decent job of resisting microtransactions so far. But the longer they stay around, the closer we will get to them invading more parts of gaming.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017

Man with this logic no online games are worth buying a week after release. No wonder a bunch of you guys have massive backlogs.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
This feels directly aimed at content creators. If you want to be ahead of the pack...pay up for the big lead time on the new upcoming games.

OP
OP
Evolution of Metal
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much my opinion on this.

This really isn't a problem. People should have the option to pay with money if they don't have the luxury of free time that many younger people have.

You cannot use free time to solve it, you just have to wait 11 days. As I said, it is a penalty.

Maybe it is not a problem, but it is a negative which makes the gaming experience worse for anyone who doesn't want to pay extra. And it is getting progressively worse because it started as a 3-day thing, and now it is a 11-day delay.

I like micro transactions now and don't understand the rage against loot boxes.

I've played cod and joined late to the multiplayer mode. You have to level them and catch up to others.. no big deal. New players come after you and you will be more powerful than them as well. It's an endless cycle. Can you imagine Christmas week and all the under leveled guns.. Oh no! Day 1 after early access, you will most likely be in a server with 80% new players anyway. And unlocking items and upgrades doesn't mean the player is good at the game at all. Just time spent in it

You are contradicting yourself.

If leveling-up and catching-up to the progress of others impacts the gaming experience in the negative way, then you should aim to minimize or remove this problem. You cannot use an argument that because it is already a problem between Day-1 and Month-3 buyers, that it should be a problem between subs/Deluxe buyers and Day-1 buyers too. And the only games which can get away with this legacy progression disadvantage are old franchises like COD or BF. A new title with the progression system of BF would not be acceptable today. New games like PUBG, Fortnite, Rocket League or Siege don't do this. Even LoL realized that it is a negative experience so they got rid of all the runes. You are only left with alternative characters instead of bonus stats.

And I don't know why, but why would you write the last sentence? It is such a stupid statement which only paid PR people should use defending unfair advantages in gaming.