L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
One character seems to be an abducted Toad's older brother, Kinopi (not Kinopio)?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
so they were going for a traditional-ish RPG theme initially... interesting, never knew that

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Dude that Princess Peach looks good. Mario as a Musketeer would of been cool. Mushroom Kingdom based in France? Give Koopa a Top Hat and a British accent would of been hilarious.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's kind of crazy that Wario was considered at all, considering 25+ years and a ton of Mario RPGs later I don't think he's actually shown up once?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Paper Mario, I would love for this to be the next iteration of Mario RPG.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me remember that Disney made an animated 3 Musketeers movie starring Mickey and his friends.

This is a pretty neat find. Bowser and Wario are ridiculously handsome in those sketches. Hahaha

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He's started tweeting again, including what seems to be an early version of Mallow named Keron who wears a mask and has four arms. I'll try to compile everything.

Wait, I missed that there's another image in the picture of a little frog boy. The swordfighter is named Spiderl.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I am very happy that you have come to draw pictures that are outside the boundaries of painting. I dedicate my memories to you.

f_s9do6aeaas5e1format57de0.jpg

f_s9fiabcaacmmwformatw3d1t.jpg

f_s9gzoayaa2n9yformatg5cbs.jpg

Based on the ideas of the development staff, a three-day all-night meeting was held to decide the direction of the #SuperMarioRPG . Taro Kudo, Kazuyuki Kurashima, and me. It was hot because the air conditioner stopped at midnight in the middle of summer.

At the time of this meeting,I think "Yoshi" had a strong role of "helping the character" by prioritizing "fun to ride." So I remember I had no plans to be a party member.

Incidentally, the most heated debate at the meeting was whether Mario, the children's hero, should have a "weapon."And when a conclusion was reached on this, everything was decided for #SuperMarioRPG .

Caution! These pencil rough ideas are from the early stages of #SuperMarioRPG s, and not all have been adopted. I'll upload it to celebrate the miracle remake. Also, please understand that it is too thin because it was drawn with a pencil with one stroke. #スーパーマリオRPG

First of all, I want you to know the first thing. At the time, I had just finished developing #LIVEALIVE and was a pool member of the later #ChronoTrigger development staff(I also drew a lot of ideas) However, it was organized as a member of #SuperMarioRPG for several reasons.

I felt uncomfortable with Mario wearing a sword and armor, which was the template for RPGs at the time, so I drew the original idea of #SuperMarioRPG with "Three Musketeers" as the motif.I drew this artwork from there.#スーパーマリオRPG

f_itjahbcaae0wvformat9sf5c.jpg

f_itvqmawaahjtzformatl7fme.jpg

gafv4kuacaausccformatgxcw0.jpg

gafwyz1baaaralaformat6yesa.jpg

gafwnixbcaa4ktqformatbyfhn.jpg

gafwxueboaazyb6format07dqz.jpg

gafw7arakaavwlmformats8i3v.jpg

gafxhl_auaa7_aeformatp9izk.jpg

The caption says 1994/6/26, so ...It's so embarrassing to upload my work when I was 22 ... #スーパーマリオRPG #SuperMarioRPG
gakxx2damaadz0iformat1pero.jpg

gakyjvbaeaacpodformat27c01.jpg

This image made me chuckle that I was the one who drew the initial setting of the "frog kid" traveling with Mario and his friends. (I don't remember that at all) :)

gakyvombqaabq71formato8edc.jpg

I'll write a little caption for the image from here. My original concept for #supermarioRPG was that a third force called the "Slug Kingdom" would invade and rule the "Turtle Kingdom" and kidnap Princess Peach. #スーパーマリオRPG

gak2okkb0aagqqtformat2jffc.jpg

gak3boxbmaawizqformat0sd72.jpg

gak3kpzaaaaehekformatwqd20.jpg

gak3ohvbuaamgt-format4bfps.jpg

I had envisioned a story in which a genius mage named "Enigma Slugnid" was born in the "Kingdom of Slugs" living in the underground world, and that's how it all began. #スーパーマリオRPG #SuperMarioRPG

gak4eica4aa8q_hformatfrcqe.jpg

Thus the direction was set, and I set about creating the actual data for the huge UI and VFX all by myself. So, that was the end of my first idea. This type of involvement with these works continued until I retired from the video game industry. #スーパーマリオRPG #SuperMarioRPG

I drew many character drafts and stories in this style, ranging from Gaff, Reis, Beowulf, Frimelda, and EmetSelch.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Interesting!
Mario looks so odd with that hair and gettup. Kinda reminds me of a regular human with a Mario mask.
PEach looks wonderful without that doll like face she's had for ages now.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never thought about it before, but Mario wielding a hammer was pretty rare before the Mario RPGs. It was pretty much Donkey Kong and that's it? Weird, considering how canonized it feels like as Mario's weapon of choice.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I asked if the weapons theme came out of the debate over whether or not Mario should use a weapon, and if it came out of a Nintendo mandate or if it was just the Square folk who felt like Mario having a sword would be uncomfortable. He said that it was already answered earlier but I couldn't find anything on those specific topics, maybe he means that it should be self-evident from what he posted about the debate?

I've never thought about it before, but Mario wielding a hammer was pretty rare before the Mario RPGs. It was pretty much Donkey Kong and that's it? Weird, considering how canonized it feels like as Mario's weapon of choice.
He throws hammers in Mario 3 with the Hammer Bros suit, but yeah, I don't think it was his main weapon or anything.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Missed this:
The SFC version of #SUPERMARIORPG is made up of young staff in their early twenties. At the time, "SQUARE" was a development style in which game planning and design ideas were shared among the entire staff. This is the pile of proposals.

f-kqhsdbeaabwoiformat2zfi8.jpg

Kazuyuki Kurashima (Kura san) seems to be participating in the #SUPERMARIORPG for swiatch, so I put him at the top. :)

I will answer as my own opinion. Also, it will be long to explain, so I will keep it simple. In 1992, as SQUARESOFT expanded, many young people with a love, passion and talent for game development joined the company. I was one of them.

The development team was small, with dozens of people, separated by title. There were jobs and titles within the team, but it was a very "breezy" development environment where the whole team came up with ideas and made games, regardless of whether it was up or down.

Because of this very "breezy" development environment, on the contrary, there is no compromise. Talent and talent collided, and I was trying to create a good piece with a spark. I think this was the company culture and development style of SQUARESOFT at that time.

So it seems like this might not be the early plans, but part of a whole pile of early suggestions that eventually got built into the final game.