• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The most reliable weapon is still the UT Gatling series from the Fencer. Theres nothing like firing bullets for 2 straight minutes and shredding an entire horde, may it flying or ground based, in the process.

Oct 27, 2017
The most OP weapons in the game are DLC and high non-DLC Phalanx. It kills an Erginus in two charges on Inferno.
For Fencer it's DLC shotgun plus Jackhammer + dash-hop. Almost like a cheat, but sooo much fun.
Same can be said about Buster Shot for Ranger which should be on the number spot for all "best shotgun in a videogame" discussions.
Air Raider is OP overall if you bring the right stuff to the missions. Don't sleep on Beam Shot (single shot laser)which is fantastic against frogs, because it one-shots them and gives you this fun risk-reward mechanic, where you can shoot again if you hit but have to wait when you miss, so you can create some sort of combo-shots.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Farming for weapons can be really slow at times, I did manage to solo mission 106 on inferno but I mostly got updates for weapons in the 65-75 range šŸ˜•

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the last mission. The boss was cool but kinda unsuited for EDFs gameplay. The endboss from 4.1 was far cooler and more bonkers.

Also all those missions where enemies storm at you endlessly until you destroy the teleporters got real old real quick.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm playing this one on Hard as a Wing Diver from the start. Definitely seems easier than using the Air Raider or the Fencer since the high mobility lets you simply avoid damage versus having to build up HP to tank some of it and dying if you get surrounded.

Hardest and Inferno being locked until you beat the game makes it a bit harder IMO, definitely had trouble with the infantry enemies on PS4 when they showed up since I couldn't just dip into the high difficulties and bring back some devastating weaponry. Had to make do with Hard gear at most. The Air Raider has a lot of trouble with ablative armor on enemies since it prevents one shot kills no matter how hard you hit them and unexploded limpets despawn if they are stuck to an armor plate that breaks. In 4.1 the Air Raider completely demolished single large enemies though that was in part due to the Epsilon line which he no longer gets...

I wonder what they can do about armor farming being necessary, it sucks that armor gain isn't increased at higher difficulties but either way it's gonna be grindy since armor gained on mission 1 is the same as armor gained on mission 111 so replaying one effective farming mission remains effective. Perhaps they could make it so in the next game you get armor bits like you get weapon drops by their mission range and you cannot simply farm duplicates while higher difficulties could also pay out more armor?

Additionally they could bring Iron Rain's character customization into the main series. So each armor bit could unlock a cosmetic in addition to giving a certain amount of HP when found...

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this one on Hard as a Wing Diver from the start. Definitely seems easier than using the Air Raider or the Fencer since the high mobility lets you simply avoid damage versus having to build up HP to tank some of it and dying if you get surrounded.

Hardest and Inferno being locked until you beat the game makes it a bit harder IMO, definitely had trouble with the infantry enemies on PS4 when they showed up since I couldn't just dip into the high difficulties and bring back some devastating weaponry. Had to make do with Hard gear at most. The Air Raider has a lot of trouble with ablative armor on enemies since it prevents one shot kills no matter how hard you hit them and unexploded limpets despawn if they are stuck to an armor plate that breaks. In 4.1 the Air Raider completely demolished single large enemies though that was in part due to the Epsilon line which he no longer gets...

The Air Raiders minigun call ins usually melts any armored aliens. It's the only class where I found I could take them out reliable tbh. Only problem is if you don't have any cover where you can hide while you wait for reload you have a hard time.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Air Raiders minigun call ins usually melts any armored aliens. It's the only class where I found I could take them out reliable tbh. Only problem is if you don't have any cover where you can hide while you wait for reload you have a hard time.
Yeah, unfortunately without "overlevelled" weapons you need multiple strikes to kill an alien and that gives them a LOT of time to hurt you. With the Air Raider's low mobility it's super easy to get surrounded. Once you do overlevel your weapons though... jeez, those strikes melt that final boss.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
The first mission pack is out on Steam. Haven't finished the campaign yet, nearing mission 100 on Normal, started also playing some mission on hard, it's pretty noticeable, this being my first EDF game. The giant ant queens were a problem on hard for a while, until a I figured out a way to deal with them. Playing as ranger exclusively for now. Love it.

edit: Is there a way for the AI to attack the teleport anchors? If not I have to fail a mission because my weapons don't reach that high. :/

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The first mission pack is out on Steam. Haven't finished the campaign yet, nearing mission 100 on Normal, started also playing some mission on hard, it's pretty noticeable, this being my first EDF game. The giant ant queens were a problem on hard for a while, until a I figured out a way to deal with them. Playing as ranger exclusively for now. Love it.

edit: Is there a way for the AI to attack the teleport anchors? If not I have to fail a mission because my weapons don't reach that high. :/
The AI should attack anything that's within range of the squad's weapons, so if you've got a bunch of rangers with assault rifles they have to get close unlike rangers with sniper rifles or fencers with cannons. Recruit them by getting close to them and then take them with you.

The most reliable weapon is still the UT Gatling series from the Fencer. Theres nothing like firing bullets for 2 straight minutes and shredding an entire horde, may it flying or ground based, in the process.
I find the gatling guns terrible for their spin-up times and slow rotational speed. The most reliable weapons for me are the blasthole spear and vulcan hammer. The spear does very high damage with high range and a very fast reload. You can dash backwards to get enemies in a line and pierce and kill all of them with one shot, or you can kill tough targets with 2 shots. The problem with it is the need to aim precisely as the spear is very thin and is stopped by environmental objects like fences and street lights. The vulcan hammer at max charge does ludicrous damage a good radius near continuously if you dual-wield them and offers a large amount of damage resistance, making you able to charge straight into the middle of massive hordes and spin2win while tanking any shots. The problem is obviously like other hammers you need a backup option for fliers.

I always take the spear for its versatility. Having the range of 50m for the first shot, 100m for the second really helps deal with things like infantry sneaking up on you but being too far to melee, or when they combat roll out of range. Plus it can take out aerial units with decent effectiveness while maintaining dash speed.

The Air Raider has a lot of trouble with ablative armor on enemies since it prevents one shot kills no matter how hard you hit them and unexploded limpets despawn if they are stuck to an armor plate that breaks. In 4.1 the Air Raider completely demolished single large enemies though that was in part due to the Epsilon line which he no longer gets...
The spritefall seems OP as hell so I drop one of those on them and finish off with autocannon B or C if necessary. I never bring limpet guns anymore now that autocannons on a time-based reload are a thing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I find the gatling guns terrible for their spin-up times and slow rotational speed. The most reliable weapons for me are the blasthole spear and vulcan hammer. The spear does very high damage with high range and a very fast reload. You can dash backwards to get enemies in a line and pierce and kill all of them with one shot, or you can kill tough targets with 2 shots. The problem with it is the need to aim precisely as the spear is very thin and is stopped by environmental objects like fences and street lights. The vulcan hammer at max charge does ludicrous damage a good radius near continuously if you dual-wield them and offers a large amount of damage resistance, making you able to charge straight into the middle of massive hordes and spin2win while tanking any shots. The problem is obviously like other hammers you need a backup option for fliers.

I always take the spear for its versatility. Having the range of 50m for the first shot, 100m for the second really helps deal with things like infantry sneaking up on you but being too far to melee, or when they combat roll out of range. Plus it can take out aerial units with decent effectiveness while maintaining dash speed.

But you will have trouble with a spear if hundreds of enemies swarm you, no matter how good you aim or how good you dodge. And the spin up or rotational speed is not really a problem once you have some upgrades and a better exoskeleton.

The gatling is even good against bosses since it continously staggers them.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
But you will have trouble with a spear if hundreds of enemies swarm you, no matter how good you aim or how good you dodge. And the spin up or rotational speed is not really a problem once you have some upgrades and a better exoskeleton.

The gatling is even good against bosses since it continously staggers them.
Anyone is going to have trouble with any weapon if hundreds of enemies swarm you, at least on hard. If a spear user is overwhelmed they can dash backwards and cancel their dashes with 50/100m range, piercing spear attacks, which conserve most of the dash momentum and last just long enough for your dash to refresh. When done with a raised shield, you also block whatever attacks hit you since they're all coming from your front. I've kited enemies effectively this way, keeping enemies at enough of a distance to be pretty safe, while killing them with the spear and looping around city blocks to come back to green spots on the radar and try to find health, or to pick up teammates.

What's the strat for a gatling to deal with hundreds of enemies? I don't really find the jump helps much because of the longer jump cooldown compared to the dash cooldown, the fact that gatling's damage drops off with range, and my aiming being messed up both by the changing height of my player through the jump, and the slow aim speed. I'm sure it's good in underground missions where you can chokepoint all the enemies through a narrow tunnel, but for that the canister shot is more effective with its piercing and ricochet. Can you use the dash while firing the gatling? I guess I never thought to try that before.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone is going to have trouble with any weapon if hundreds of enemies swarm you, at least on hard. If a spear user is overwhelmed they can dash backwards and cancel their dashes with 50/100m range, piercing spear attacks, which conserve most of the dash momentum and last just long enough for your dash to refresh. When done with a raised shield, you also block whatever attacks hit you since they're all coming from your front. I've kited enemies effectively this way, keeping enemies at enough of a distance to be pretty safe, while killing them with the spear and looping around city blocks to come back to green spots on the radar and try to find health, or to pick up teammates.

What's the strat for a gatling to deal with hundreds of enemies? I don't really find the jump helps much because of the longer jump cooldown compared to the dash cooldown, the fact that gatling's damage drops off with range, and my aiming being messed up both by the changing height of my player through the jump, and the slow aim speed. I'm sure it's good in underground missions where you can chokepoint all the enemies through a narrow tunnel, but for that the canister shot is more effective with its piercing and ricochet. Can you use the dash while firing the gatling? I guess I never thought to try that before.

Jumping backwards while blocking does the trick as well and aiming isn't that much of a problem with enough practice. Ideally you can jump multiple times and cover more ground that way than with a dash. What's also underrated is how high you can jump while just standing still. With the ludicrous damage, ammo and spread of the gatling you can usually kill a big part of a mob before they even get in attack range.

Not to say that both the spear and the gatling have their strenghts and drawbacks of course. That's why I usually have both.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping backwards while blocking does the trick as well and aiming isn't that much of a problem with enough practice. Ideally you can jump multiple times and cover more ground that way than with a dash. What's also underrated is how high you can jump while just standing still. With the ludicrous damage, ammo and spread of the gatling you can usually kill a big part of a mob before they even get in attack range.

Not to say that both the spear and the gatling have their strenghts and drawbacks of course. That's why I usually have both.
I do love getting three neutral jumps and landing on top of skyscrapers. The addition of support equipment slots is a great idea for the series.

Come to think of it I guess I haven't yet tried it with the better exoskeletons I got recently, maybe I'll give it another shot with a light shield and see how it goes.

Dual gatlings is so badass, I wish it were more viable.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this online with friends, we are around mission 90 on hard now. I think they made a lot of good changes, especially with adding the equipment slots. I also find Air Raider to be much more usable in this game, and so much fun. Really wish they came up with a way of making Air Raider less restricted underground though, you suddenly lose access to 50 % of all your equipment which sucks.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Pill
bugs are the best new enemy so far. My friends and I were laughing our asses off at their pinballing, air-juggling shenanigans.

Been playing this online with friends, we are around mission 90 on hard now. I think they made a lot of good changes, especially with adding the equipment slots. I also find Air Raider to be much more usable in this game, and so much fun. Really wish they came up with a way of making Air Raider less restricted underground though, you suddenly lose access to 50 % of all your equipment which sucks.
I played mostly Air Raider in the previous game and this one, and he's definitely easier to use being less reliant on credits and with his support equipment auto-reloading over time even while you're using other weapons/tools. In past games you had to really know what you were doing if you picked up support weapons and be effective. Air raider having three slots plus a vehicle makes it a lot easier to decide to take a support weapon as well. Having pretty limited options on foot, it made air raider kind of reliant on his vehicles. With two slots in 4.1, if you wanted to use a support tool, you'd have to give up a fast, more direct self defense option like a limpet gun or 150mm Whale, or pass on a big damage option like a strafe plan. In this game, you can have a limpet gun/fast-reloading strike like autocannon or rocket, a high damage airstrike on a slow reload or credits, and a support option like bunkers.

With more options on foot and some of the high damage vehicle call ins being shifted to ranger, I do like that air raider is less reliant on vehicles. Air raider still has problems with drop ships and in tunnel missions, but is generally quite a bit less punishing for not playing perfectly. I do think the gunship callins, autocannons in particular, are a little too strong, but on the other hand it does make air raider a lot more viable for most people to solo the game with, which I think is good.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am somehow struggling to enjoy this as much as 4.1
Missions are a more of a slog than they should be. A bit regretting the full-price purchase.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Finished on Normal, now am playing Hard and some missions really make me trouble. If I didn't have a shotgun and rocket launcher(level 40 I think) from the one Hardest mission I did, I don't know how I would do some of these. But it's still really fun.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game. The end of the game is a lot more fun than 4.1. Now to get destroyed by Hardest and Inferno.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Bought this on a whim this weekend and man did I get a bit obsessed. Already put in close to 20 hours since saturday...

Still at lvl 60+ normal. Been replaying lower lvl missions on hard as well. A few missions I had to go down to easy. I just don't have good enough gear I think.

I hate that the best AR I have found is an semi that gives me great pain clicking so much.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I think I'm stuck. Can't get past mission 100 on Hard and 11 on Hardest as Ranger. My AI companions get killed off really fast on Hardest. :D
I'm trying to find a weapon combo that would work here but maybe I'll just need to go find and farm a stage I can do and get better stuff.

Jun 30, 2018
Absolute best stage for farming is 87.

As soon as the stage starts, turn right and head down the river to the waterfall at the end. Look at the right of that, and you'll see a small gap between the rocks where you can stand and the enemies can't get you. Just wait there and once the AI soldiers are all dead, every enemy will come to you, and you can just sit there and shoot everything without being harmed, ducking out when there's a lull between waves to grab the big pile of armour/weapons. And since it's such a high stage, there's only like two or so base game weapons with a level too high to drop on Inferno.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm stuck. Can't get past mission 100 on Hard and 11 on Hardest as Ranger. My AI companions get killed off really fast on Hardest. :D
I'm trying to find a weapon combo that would work here but maybe I'll just need to go find and farm a stage I can do and get better stuff.

When I got stuck I usually try to change classes to find a more fitting approach. If you don't have any good gear for the other classes, just take your strongest assault- and sniper rifle and try to grind through that. If your teammates dying to fast you could also try the equipment that raises the healing for them.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018

As soon as the stage starts, turn right and head down the river to the waterfall at the end. Look at the right of that, and you'll see a small gap between the rocks where you can stand and the enemies can't get you. Just wait there and once the AI soldiers are all dead, every enemy will come to you, and you can just sit there and shoot everything without being harmed, ducking out when there's a lull between waves to grab the big pile of armour/weapons. And since it's such a high stage, there's only like two or so base game weapons with a level too high to drop on Inferno.
Thanks, this helped a lot. Also just in time for the second DLC pack.

When I got stuck I usually try to change classes to find a more fitting approach. If you don't have any good gear for the other classes, just take your strongest assault- and sniper rifle and try to grind through that. If your teammates dying to fast you could also try the equipment that raises the healing for them.
I noticed that a sniper rifle usually helps more than I'd expect it to but here even that was not enough. I am soldiering on however!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
For level 100, prioritise insects, let your robot team handle the big stuff. Use a multi-target missile launcher and a mod that increases the range and lowers the lock-on time. A sniper is good as a second weapon so you can help out with aliens and big stuff. If you don't have these then yep, it's farming time.

Insects will swarm your robots and kill them, and when they die, everything is gonna turn on you. You might have to run in and kill the shield screens, but your team will get them eventually if they aren't covered in insects.

When your Barga drops, get in it and win.

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Yeah, pretty game breaking. Who wants to run hard stages for other weapons when you can get near endgame inferno weapons practically for free?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I abused the hell out of that exploit, but I've always loved short-circuiting the progression path in EDF games.
Yeah but there's a thrill to running levels that are just way out of your depth and after many tries finally succeeding. Kinda goes out the window when you can easily get your hands on guns that will deal well with inferno-level threats.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah but there's a thrill to running levels that are just way out of your depth and after many tries finally succeeding. Kinda goes out the window when you can easily get your hands on guns that will deal well with inferno-level threats.
I can see that and I would fully agree like 20 years ago when I had almost unlimited time to play games. Today, not so much. I played for almost 80 hours, I plan on playing a lot more but only if I can move forward. I don't have the time anymore to get stuck on missions for hours unfortunately.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Finally did Mission 100. Took me two tries with Wing Diver on hard to do that in a not-so-optimal fashion. That was pretty epic! It would have been better if I had brought a multitarget, tracking weapon, but I didn't know that there were going to be so many flying enemies. I did it with a Dragoon Lance to significantly damage the big guys and a Mag Blaster to focus down the humanoid enemies. For anyone interested, here's a recording of my first completion of that mission:
Mission 100: Greatest Final Confrontation

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Beat the game shortly after my previous post. The last 10 missions were a decent challenge with the monster variants introduced, and the last boss was actually kind of tough as Wing Diver due to the lack of cover with low armour. I've started over as the Fencer now, and wow, huge difference in sustainable DPS but also relatively slow. I'm liking how the different classes feel and play differently.

I'm also going to have to agree with an earlier post about the UT Hand Gatling gun being one of the best overall weapons in the game. High rate of fire with great damage and long fire duration. Only downsides are its inaccuracy beyond mid range and the lengthy reload time.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Beat the game shortly after my previous post. The last 10 missions were a decent challenge with the monster variants introduced, and the last boss was actually kind of tough as Wing Diver due to the lack of cover with low armour. I've started over as the Fencer now, and wow, huge difference in sustainable DPS but also relatively slow. I'm liking how the different classes feel and play differently.

I'm also going to have to agree with an earlier post about the UT Hand Gatling gun being one of the best overall weapons in the game. High rate of fire with great damage and long fire duration. Only downsides are its inaccuracy beyond mid range and the lengthy reload time.
When you start leaping and dashing all over the place (Fencer is as fast as Wing Diver) you'll lose patience with gatling guns. It is a great weapon for the tank play style though.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that and I would fully agree like 20 years ago when I had almost unlimited time to play games. Today, not so much. I played for almost 80 hours, I plan on playing a lot more but only if I can move forward. I don't have the time anymore to get stuck on missions for hours unfortunately.

Hah, yeah I agree.

Had I gotten this game during my Middle School days I would have spent hundreds of hours on it. Would have been an awesome value purchase at a time where I couldn't buy whatever I wanted.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, yeah I agree.

Had I gotten this game during my Middle School days I would have spent hundreds of hours on it. Would have been an awesome value purchase at a time where I couldn't buy whatever I wanted.
It really boggles the mind that EDF4.1 was rated M while fucking Dark Souls games get rated T. EDF is perfect for kids, maybe this one less so with the profanity I don't remember from 4.1 and the replacement of robotic bipedals with kinda humanoid ones that can be dismembered. Great game for parent-child co-op action too I'm sure.